The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 30 March 2010, 07:36 AM   #31
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjp6 View Post
already posted Earl, and it is still there after three days.....
Yes and this is organized theft and eBay is now an accomplice.
Earl Camembert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 07:46 AM   #32
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
Another, threaded here http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=122132
mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 08:23 AM   #33
marie
"TRF" Member

Watch: UN Starry Night
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Camembert View Post
Yes and this is organized theft and eBay is now an accomplice.
Unfortunately, they will not be held accountable as such.
Old 30 March 2010, 08:34 AM   #34
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Sorry to hear about your 1680 Michael. Thanks so much for sharing this info with us all.
I was offered a 1655 recently that had "long E's" . The watch looked so perfect it is scary.
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 08:49 AM   #35
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatty View Post
I was offered a 1655 recently that had "long E's" . The watch looked so perfect it is scary.
So glad you declined it Peter...was this watch in Sydney?
mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 10:29 AM   #36
Traveler

Another reason to NEVER buy a Rolex on e-bay..NEVER. For that matter..any expensive/popular item that is commonly counterfieted.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 10:37 AM   #37
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Another reason to NEVER buy a Rolex on e-bay..NEVER. For that matter..any expensive/popular item that is commonly counterfieted.
There are some good sellers on eBay; they also sell on TRF. That said buyer beware.
Old 30 March 2010, 11:42 AM   #38
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Michael what a bummer.And from a top rated seller to boot. I have been around a while and the last 2 years have been really scary as the quality if the fakes go. I suspect that there is more than 1 big name involved in this.A few years ago at a yard sale here in my hometown a gentleman beat me to an old Rolex box that had everything but the watch.It was for a 1960 5512 with original sales,service etc documents.The owner standing right there said the watch is at the bottom of the ocean.I latter saw the package on ebay from the guy that beat me to it sell for $3000.00 guess where the buyer was from? HK.What did he do with this?Who knows but I have my suspicions. Rolex themselves have to make an example of these sellers and fraudsters.Do they care?I have recently seen a website dedicated to selling and building these high end fakes.What a shame.I hope you get your money back .

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 12:47 PM   #39
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
So glad you declined it Peter...was this watch in Sydney?
Yes it was, I took it to Rolex and they advised me to stay clear.
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 01:11 PM   #40
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
Rolex themselves have to make an example of these sellers and fraudsters.
Rolex is not part of the solution they are part of the problem; Rolex loves the money as much as eBay and the thieves. Rolex is the master of restraint of trade making genuine parts available only from Rolex and very few anointed third parties who are tightly restricted on how they use the genuine parts.

With genuine parts next to imposable to get a very lucrative fake market flourishes and Rolex is not about to help stop it. The only way would be to make genuine parts readily available. Not long ago I bought a genuine Omega Seamaster bracelet for $450 and I don't even own an Omega. You don't see $800 fake Omega bracelets now do we.
Swatch saved the Swiss watch industry not Rolex.

My kind of guy.

Old 30 March 2010, 01:21 PM   #41
User Name
"TRF" Member

Watch: GmtIIc
Wow, that is all I can say. Sorry this has happened to you.
User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 01:39 PM   #42
springer
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Greek and Earl have made some great points. But, Rolex is not unlike any other business in the world. They are in the business of manufacturing and marketing a product and turning a profit on their product - Rolex watches. Although they make an effort to deal with fake products, when they do, it is concentrated on those selling counterfeit Rolexes replicated like the newer styles. Rolex would rather sell new watches than keep the old, vintage ones running. The profit for them is selling the newer watches and servicing them. The 40 to 50-year-old Rolexes are not a priority for Rolex. And, when you're running a corporation as large as Rolex, you have to spread out your resources to where they best serve the company. Rolex does not lose a dime on any of these fake vintage watches or parts since the watches, and most pf the parts aren't being manufactured by them any longer.

I would venture to say that the budget for their security and product integrity department is like any other large corporation in the world - very small to almost non-existent. Their priority is the present and the future, and not the past.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 01:49 PM   #43
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I would venture to say that the budget for their security and product integrity department is like any other large corporation in the world - very small to almost non-existent. Their priority is the present and the future, and not the past.
Springer sadly I think you are 100% right on this.Vintage watches are now being made by PROS to fool PROS in quantity.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 02:01 PM   #44
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Rolex would rather sell new watches than keep the old, vintage ones running. The profit for them is selling the newer watches and servicing them. The 40 to 50-year-old Rolexes are not a priority for Rolex.
Rolex restricts part distribution and will not/cannot service a watch only 31 years old. I have a Timex older than that and it still runs.

Patek, granted not a mass produced watch brand like Rolex, will service any watch they ever made and I do mean EVER. So if one wants to buy a watch his children's children may someday wear and be all original Rolex is not the watch to buy.
Old 30 March 2010, 02:02 PM   #45
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibsober View Post
This has been going on awhile. Last year I bought two 16800's from a very solid seller and sent them both to Riled of Dallas. Both were serviced and returned. I sold one with RSC papers only to find out later the case was fake. I bought the watch back and them hand carried both watches back to RSC Dallas and a week later was told both cases were fake. Everything in the watch was real,but the case. I returned both watches to the original seller, got my money back on one and a year latter. I'm still trying.to collect on the other. Point is the watches were so good they fooled RSC
I sincerely doubt the Guy who sold them to me knew they were fake
It is a dangerous world we live in. I nearby bought a fake Tudor last night, but Stan saved my butt at the last minute after he had retracted his own bid. We all have the capacity to be fooled and we sure do not like getting on a open forum to discus it
Interesting. I guess the SN ran through their system okay??
Do you have any details on what Rolex did to declare it fake?
Did they want to keep your case?
Thanks
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 02:04 PM   #46
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
Springer sadly I think you are 100% right on this.Vintage watches are now being made by PROS to fool PROS in quantity.
With the "Red" SD many experts will not even attempt to verify if the red was applied by Rolex or a guy in Hong Kong. Then not long ago a guy in OZ could have had his "Red" dial replaced by Rolex with a "Red" one for a few hundred dollars. Go figure.
Old 30 March 2010, 02:17 PM   #47
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
Did they want to keep your case?
Thanks
I had a bracelet on my 1968 DD declared fake by Rolex USA. It tested 18K and is of Rolex quality. The hallmark shows it was made in Argentina; just when Rolex was having parts made all over the world to save a buck. The watch has a Spanish Day Wheel BTW.

I would like to see them try to keep my bracelet. I had them do a written report and am trying to prove they were wrong and don't have a clue what Rolex had made for them in Argentina in the 60s.

I would love to see Rolex start confiscating parts at their whim especially as they declared them original once. My guess is when the case was brought back with the question it was looked at by someone in the know and not some kid that just removes the movement, polishes the case and reinstalls the movement.

I think I’m getting the reason Rolex doesn’t want to get involved in identifying fakes; they don’t have a clue unless the battery goes dead.
Old 30 March 2010, 06:35 PM   #48
J.Wong
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor/Rolex Divers
Man... some vendors just give HONG KONG a bad reputation for their business ethics. Not everyone is like this here. I got nothing against anyone who sells fake , however, selling fake shit and advertising as real..

I find it amusing on the contrary that some would have a generalization of HONG KONG..
Member #88
Instagram : @jwlife37
J.Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 06:37 PM   #49
J.Wong
"TRF" Member

Man... some vendors just give HONG KONG a bad reputation for their business ethics. Not everyone is like this here. I got nothing against anyone who sells fake , however, selling fake shit and advertising as real..

I find it amusing on the contrary that some would have a generalization of HONG KONG.. from a few of the bad ones..
Member #88
Old 30 March 2010, 06:43 PM   #50
J.Wong
"TRF" Member

I find it amusing on the contrary that some would have a generalization of HONG KONG.. from a few of the bad ones..
Member #88
Old 30 March 2010, 06:52 PM   #51
J.Wong
"TRF" Member

Member #88
Old 31 March 2010, 12:38 AM   #52
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

This just gets more and more intriguing and interesting the more information comes to light. Plus of course the info known on here not being shared, info from other non-web sources also not being shared and of course Rolexes developing position on the whole matter.
TheBluePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 03:09 AM   #53
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I had a bracelet on my 1968 DD declared fake by Rolex USA. It tested 18K and is of Rolex quality. The hallmark shows it was made in Argentina; just when Rolex was having parts made all over the world to save a buck. The watch has a Spanish Day Wheel BTW.

I would like to see them try to keep my bracelet. I had them do a written report and am trying to prove they were wrong and don't have a clue what Rolex had made for them in Argentina in the 60s.

I would love to see Rolex start confiscating parts at their whim especially as they declared them original once. My guess is when the case was brought back with the question it was looked at by someone in the know and not some kid that just removes the movement, polishes the case and reinstalls the movement.

I think I’m getting the reason Rolex doesn’t want to get involved in identifying fakes; they don’t have a clue unless the battery goes dead.
I just had a talk with a Rolex manager (DRSC) about Rolex did not make all their parts in the sacred place and asked if Rolex ever had their bezel rings made in US or another country. She seemed set back to say the least. They say my 5512 bezel ring is not Rolex (actually three Rolex folks have looked at it). It might not be, but if it isn't, it has been on the watch for at least 17+ years and Rolex serviced last and was the last ones to touch the watch. The expert here thought it was Rolex granted only by looking at high res photos.
Rolex finally worked with me, but they insisted on keeping the bezel ring. I find it very strange that they did not find a fake case but bring the world to an end on a suspect bezel ring.
Old 31 March 2010, 03:15 AM   #54
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

I don't think they really know in a lot of cases. As i eluded to above, their stance on the whole matter is still developing and has been for years now without conclusion. The very worst thing they want is wide-spread (not just internet forum gossip) mdeia reports that there are high quality fake parts around, widely in use on their watches, it's been fooling them, and this has been going on for years. They will imo, never admit this on any sort of official or large scale and so carry on with the status quo. There is no central line or organisation on the matter.
Old 31 March 2010, 03:21 AM   #55
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

^^
Who does this hurt more, Rolex or their customers? IMO the customer and that tells it all about how Rolex cares about their customers.
Oh, and Rolex has methods of detection.. They do not want "us" to know in fear "scammers/Fakers" will figure out who to continue fooling them .
Old 31 March 2010, 03:25 AM   #56
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

Of course it hurts the customers who get ripped off, benefits sellers trying to rip people off. And the Rolex line will always be that they are in the business of selling new watches.
Old 31 March 2010, 04:52 AM   #57
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
Rolex finally worked with me, but they insisted on keeping the bezel ring.
If they replaced the bezel it is SOP to keep the old part it is a trade the customer agrees to. I'm waiting for them to keep a part without the customer's permission. Once they got dragged into court I'll bet they have no iron clad proof of the chain of evidence. It would be funny to see every employee in the service center called as a witness.
Old 31 March 2010, 05:03 AM   #58
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
already posted Earl, and it is still there after three days.....

I received a reply from the seller of this watch today. I informed him the case was suspect and he blatantly denies it.

Quote:
Hello my friend,
Thanks for the email but I think your very wrong about my watch, as case stamps vary to where the case was made, IE: USA Japan Europe Hong kong, or Mexico.

kind regards!

- horology.collector
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 05:14 AM   #59
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
I received a reply from the seller of this watch today. I informed him the case was suspect and he blatantly denies it.
Quote:
Quote:
Hello my friend,
Thanks for the email but I think your very wrong about my watch, as case stamps vary to where the case was made, IE: USA Japan Europe Hong kong, or Mexico.

kind regards!

- horology.collector
He is having sport with you; true fakes are made in all of those places but China is the cesspool of all fakes.
Old 31 March 2010, 05:43 AM   #60
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
He is having sport with you; true fakes are made in all of those places but China is the cesspool of all fakes.
Rolex doesn't make cases in these places! This guy's on Crack!
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote