The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 March 2010, 12:09 PM   #31
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

well if you get the TT and think about the SS project.. better jump into a used WG for a bit more...
Old 2 April 2010, 06:26 AM   #32
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
As someone who works in an AD and who gets to see sales figures, in my experience, there is nothing to suggest that Rolex is holding back watches. In terms of sales, the SS Daytona is a close third behind the steel Sub and GMT IIc, and we sell far more SS Daytonas than TT Daytonas. My theory is that because the cal. 4130 is a unique movement, and not based on the 3130 like the vast majority of watches in the Rolex line up, cal. 4130s are harder to produce. Factor in a unique case and, as far as I know, crystal, you've got a watch that is more difficult to mass produce than your Subs or GMT IIcs. It's not a lack of supply that's the issue, it's the ridiculously high demand. Even in a recession, very few people are turning down Daytonas. I think it's all very silly to be honest, and a sizeable number of people will buy one not because they appreciate the watch, but under the false assumption that it is:

a) a rare watch (I contest this in terms of production numbers)
b) a certain investment (the market is holding at the moment, but what happens when people cotton on that there are plenty out there?)

I have to agree with you dimster, if you want a truly rare modern Daytona, get yourself a TT model.
Chris... thanks for this info... so how many ss daytonas would you say your a sells in 1 year?? Could ADs get more if they really wanted?
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2010, 07:29 AM   #33
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc324 View Post
Chris... thanks for this info... so how many ss daytonas would you say your a sells in 1 year?? Could ADs get more if they really wanted?
It does vary, but in recent years, it's been between 5 and 7 a year. ADs get what they're given, unfortunately, and I believe there is a certain amount given to each region. For example, for a city containing more than one AD, they'd, in all likelihood, only get a couple each
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2010, 07:30 AM   #34
mach330
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,PAM 90
slightly a bit off topic. i've been wanting a daytona as well for the longest time and i hope to acquire one this yr if all goes well. i do love the wg daytona, but they cost a lot more. i'm guessing it's because compare to the tt, wg is all gold on the bracelet. why doesn't rolex make a wg/ss combo? i would get that in a heartbit as i'm not a fan of yellow gold. a bit too flashy for me.

another off topic...is yellow gold cheaper than white gold? as far as in 18K white gold compare to 18k yellow gold? isn't it the same amount of gold, but just mixed with something else?
mach330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 01:40 AM   #35
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
It does vary, but in recent years, it's been between 5 and 7 a year. ADs get what they're given, unfortunately, and I believe there is a certain amount given to each region. For example, for a city containing more than one AD, they'd, in all likelihood, only get a couple each
Thanks for sharing the info... this is good to know.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 02:12 AM   #36
Christiaan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 67' Breitling Navi
I had a Black dialed SS and loved it BUT i prefer the dial options on the WG models SO im saving for a WG on bracelet Panda dial...
Having said all that, I do like the TT on strap with panda dial...

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. For there you have been and there you will long to return." DaVinci

Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 12:40 AM   #37
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Right now the SS Daytona (Zenith) seems to be bringing the most money in the used market. My thought is the next ones to take off in price will be the TT Daytona(Zenith).

The all gold Daytona(Zenith) on a strap seems to be a bargin right now. And I would choose one of those over a SS Daytona. My price point on the SS would be about $7K.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote