The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 February 2007, 12:37 PM   #31
MD11F

Watch: AP RO Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
The gold is "deeply inlaid?" I thought it was SOLID.
We are talking about the clasp... inlayed into the steel. Why, is it solid thru the clasp too? If so, that's a bonus I didn't expect.
MD11F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 12:39 PM   #32
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
The gold is "deeply inlaid?" I thought it was SOLID.
Yes, the links are indeed all solid, but our friend is referring to the clasp and the 18 K gold which is fused and merged with the steel to form a TT clasp.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 12:42 PM   #33
MD11F

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Thanks, pal....that's one helluva superb looking clasp.

Would it be possible (if it's not too much trouble) to have some real good and clear close-ups of the markings on BOTH clasps and BOTH sides?

Thanks in advance - JJ
I just tried it, but with it being night, I have to use flash, and that washes out the etching.. so remind me tomorrow if I don't get to it, and I'll do it then.
Old 10 February 2007, 12:46 PM   #34
MD11F

Well, I just cropped one of the pics I took this AM and this might be what you're looking for..

Old 10 February 2007, 12:50 PM   #35
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Excellent pic, thanks.

I see yours is an OP2 = Feb. 2006.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 10 February 2007, 12:52 PM   #36
MD11F

Quote:
Excellent pic, thanks.

I see yours is an OP2 = Feb. 2006.

Cheers - JJ
I learned something.. is the O P 2 a code then? wow, Feb seems like a while back for this watch.. I guess they were making them for a while before they released them for sale.
Old 10 February 2007, 12:53 PM   #37
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD11F View Post
Thanks, I'd guess there are quite a few of us here then.

Oddly besides a Breitling Aerospace that I have laying around someplace (needs batteries).. I've never owned any "pilots watches" until this one now. I suppose the GMT hand will come in handy since all we do at GAC is in GMT.

BTW.. what's the preferred mode of operation.. Local time on the normal hand, and GMT on the 24hr hand? or the other way around?
I always keep the Red 24 hr hand on GMT and the 12 hr hand on local.
Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 12:55 PM   #38
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD11F View Post
I learned something.. is the O P 2 a code then? wow, Feb seems like a while back for this watch.. I guess they were making them for a while before they released them for sale.
Click on the link below and then click on The Code on the Clasp in the left hand column. Good info.

http://www.oysterworld.de/1/index.htm

Old 10 February 2007, 01:13 PM   #39
MD11F

Quote:
Click on the link below and then click on The Code on the Clasp in the left hand column. Good info.

http://www.oysterworld.de/1/index.htm
Ok, so it's the claps production date, not necessarily the watch production date, makes sense. Thanks for the info.
Old 10 February 2007, 01:21 PM   #40
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Flyjet,

Do you ever fly to India or Nepal? And if so what do you do in those situations, GMT wise?
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 01:28 PM   #41
MD11F

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Flyjet,

Do you ever fly to India or Nepal? And if so what do you do in those situations, GMT wise?

I don't know about Flyjet, but I just got back from Mumbai last week and I always just add a 1/2 hour in my head, so I imagine the same will apply with the GMT II, and in the end, what really matters is GMT time which is non-changing.
Old 10 February 2007, 02:10 PM   #42
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Flyjet,

Yes I have been to New Dehli....I spent a month there one day

I always set the 24hr hand(Red) on GMT. Never changes, then I will just adjust the 12 hr hand by unscrewing the crown and adjust to local time. For me it works because with my other Rolex watches I am use to looking at the Mercedes hands for local time so I keep my GMT the same way.

Because when I am on the road what is important for me is the GMT...not local. I really dont care what the local is most of the time, unless I'm home.

Old 10 February 2007, 02:38 PM   #43
leopardprey
Banned

How can you do that then, since the hour hand jumps in one hour increments, and not 30 minute increments. Seems like it would not work to keep 24 hour hand on GMT or other time and the local time in India or Nepal?
Old 10 February 2007, 06:45 PM   #44
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How can you do that then, since the hour hand jumps in one hour increments, and not 30 minute increments. Seems like it would not work to keep 24 hour hand on GMT or other time and the local time in India or Nepal?

For the 30 min difference in the few places in the world that do that, I dont worry about.
When I arrive, I will adjust the 12 hr hand to be 30 before or 30 min after local time. For example I arrive in New Delhi and its 330PM local, my watch will be set from the last time zone, and say it shows 12PM when I arrive. I will adjust my 12 hr hand to show either 3PM or 4PM local. The minute hand never moves during this so it should still be on the 12 mark. My RED hand will still show the GMT time because it never moves(GMT II). The 30 min difference for these places dont bother me. I never stay in these places long enough to worry about it
All the times that I need to know are done in GMT. And certainly I can remember that I have set my watch 30 min late or early.
Wanna have dinner at 14 Zulu tonite for example....
Our pick up is at 2000 Zulu tomorrow.......etc.
If I get caught up in all the local times I deal with, I will have no idea what time it is
I am not saying this is the best way....this is what works for me.
Remember that most people who own GMT's dont change time zones that often. You find what works for you and go with it.....

Old 10 February 2007, 07:46 PM   #45
leopardprey
Banned

Flyjet,

Your method would definately work in Nepal!

I once was in Pokhara, Nepal and was invited to a Church service the next day at 0900. I showed up at 0900, nobody was there. So I waited and waited, and thought maybe I misunderstood. Finally around 0915 people began showing up, around 0935 the service started. Asked the Pastor later about that, and he said "Nepalli time. 9 O'Clock is anywhere between 9 and 10 O' Clock. Nepalli time."

Was a good service so decided to go next Sunday as well, this time I showed up at 0930 hrs. The service was almost over! "Mr. Chad why are you so late?" Nepalli time!? LOL
Old 11 February 2007, 02:29 AM   #46
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Flyjet,

Your method would definately work in Nepal!

I once was in Pokhara, Nepal and was invited to a Church service the next day at 0900. I showed up at 0900, nobody was there. So I waited and waited, and thought maybe I misunderstood. Finally around 0915 people began showing up, around 0935 the service started. Asked the Pastor later about that, and he said "Nepalli time. 9 O'Clock is anywhere between 9 and 10 O' Clock. Nepalli time."

Was a good service so decided to go next Sunday as well, this time I showed up at 0930 hrs. The service was almost over! "Mr. Chad why are you so late?" Nepalli time!? LOL
I am the same way...I usually set it early so I dont look too bad.