The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 February 2007, 06:58 AM   #31
DocD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
I would not encourage you OR discourage you from wearing the watch. I certainly don't make any judgments about anyone simply by his/her watch, but do judge someone by his/her actions.

Therefore, you should be judged on the way you handle yourself in the interview process. If you decide to wear the Rolex, keep it neatly tucked under your shirt sleeve, which is exactly wear it should be, and not flashing around.

The interviewer should not be impressed whether you are wearing a Canali suit, Rolex watch, etc. He/she should be concerned with the fact that you look presentable, appropriate and that you have interviewed well.

The reason that I'm never impressed by someone wearing a Rolex or other high end watch is because I have no idea how that watch was obtained. It could have been a gift from a wealthy in-law, it could have been won in a lottery, it could have been an heirloom, etc.

So, simply BE YOURSELF and wear the Rolex if that's what makes you happy. Concentrate on the actual interview process and forget about all the material things that ultimately mean ZILCH.
DocD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 07:00 AM   #32
sinbad
"TRF" Member

If the Rolex is your daily watch, then I would recommend you wear it. All of us on this forum notice watches because that is what we like to do. Most people know little about watches and could less about what you are wearing. If your prospective employer judges you "primarily" by the "watch" you are wearing, then I would probably not want to work for them. Maybe the interviewer does not notice your watch but hates the color of your suit or tie. If the watch will distract you from concentrating on the interview process, then leave it at home and wear something else.
sinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 07:01 AM   #33
viper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD View Post
I would not encourage you OR discourage you from wearing the watch. I certainly don't make any judgments about anyone simply by his/her watch, but do judge someone by his/her actions.

Therefore, you should be judged on the way you handle yourself in the interview process. If you decide to wear the Rolex, keep it neatly tucked under your shirt sleeve, which is exactly wear it should be, and not flashing around.

The interviewer should not be impressed whether you are wearing a Canali suit, Rolex watch, etc. He/she should be concerned with the fact that you look presentable, appropriate and that you have interviewed well.

The reason that I'm never impressed by someone wearing a Rolex or other high end watch is because I have no idea how that watch was obtained. It could have been a gift from a wealthy in-law, it could have been won in a lottery, it could have been an heirloom, etc.

So, simply BE YOURSELF and wear the Rolex if that's what makes you happy. Concentrate on the actual interview process and forget about all the material things that ultimately mean ZILCH.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 07:50 AM   #34
JPJ
"TRF" Member

Wear what you always wear, be comfortable, confident and self assured, if that means wearing your Rolex then so be it..
I always wear my SD to interviews as it's my everyday watch and being well presented is a must for a good first impression.
JPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 08:49 AM   #35
rolexfan21

Watch: 16610
uh... i'd have to strongly disagree with most of the people here... although i suggest wearing your watch on an everyday basis. i'd have to say no to an interview. my reason is this... how would u feel if you were a teacher and drove a realy crappy car and your students all drove ferraris?
I feel very uncomfortable wearing nice things in front of people that cant or are envious of it. the only way i see this turning out positively for you is if the interviewer is wearing a rolex and he admires ppl like that. But i dont think he'd hold anything against u if u DIDNT have one. When i travel to places like indonesia or places that arent so wealthy, we NEVER wear a watch... even if it is a fake rolex. when ppl want what you have but cant have it, they start to hold things against you. Good luck @ the interview though, hope u get the job!
rolexfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 09:57 AM   #36
sevykor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic_the_pro View Post
uh... i'd have to strongly disagree with most of the people here... although i suggest wearing your watch on an everyday basis. i'd have to say no to an interview. my reason is this... how would u feel if you were a teacher and drove a realy crappy car and your students all drove ferraris?
I feel very uncomfortable wearing nice things in front of people that cant or are envious of it. the only way i see this turning out positively for you is if the interviewer is wearing a rolex and he admires ppl like that. But i dont think he'd hold anything against u if u DIDNT have one. When i travel to places like indonesia or places that arent so wealthy, we NEVER wear a watch... even if it is a fake rolex. when ppl want what you have but cant have it, they start to hold things against you. Good luck @ the interview though, hope u get the job!
Ditto!

Although you may not want to work for a person who is envious of your watch, because working for a manager that is envious in nature is even worse. A good manager doesn't care, doesn't know, or respects what you wear on your wrist... Wear the Rolex because it's part of the package that is YOU! I felt that wearing a Rolex was bad at an interview, now I prefer to use the Rolex as a litmus as to what I'm getting into. Although I would stay away from the BLING series, because that would be distracting.
sevykor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 10:52 AM   #37
warbird

it depends

If you are going for a management position, wear it. It conveys success in previous jobs and in your professional career.

If you are going for a technical position, wear it. Nobody will care anyway so why not wear what makes you most comfortable. :)

If you are going for a sales job, don't wear it. You'd hate to have people think that you make a lot of money and can afford expensive items because your commissions are too high.
warbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 11:33 AM   #38
Arturo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black GMT ll
As one who interviews new lawyers, I think I would suggest wearing the Tag. I think the Rolex is fine, but I think you want to neutralize any distractions and have the focus be on the CONTENT of you, with the FORM comfortably presenting that content and not getting in the way. Rolex watches have a lot of mojo. For the interview, go with the Tag, and then when you get the job, wear it happily. That is my take. I also think it is good to look a bit hungry for a job.

Last edited by Arturo; 27 February 2007 at 01:44 PM..
Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 11:39 AM   #39
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
I wouldn't wear it to the interview... If you get the job, there's plenty of time to wear it then. It's a gamble how such an expensive watch will be perceived (if noticed at all). It could either work for you, or the opposite. Let them decide based on what you say and how you act, not what you own. Good luck and... JMHO

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 01:13 PM   #40
Thurnau
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust
I would say wear it.
1. You will feel more at home wearing it if it is your everyday watch.
2. It will probably make you feel more confident and successful on the inside.
3. The interviewer will more than likely not notice it is a Rolex, and would even less likely to ask about it. (unless the interviewer owned one himself)
4. I think it is ok if the watch is a slight distraction for the interviewer, but don't let your watch distract you.

BTW a small story from my personal experience: I had my TT DJ Jubilee on for a very important meeting for my small business. The guy in charge of the meeting was very high up in an extremely globally recognized company. I was wearing a business suit. At the conference room he sat directly across from me. He asked the questions I gave him the answers. I caught him getting distracted looking down at the watch. I kept talking, and he ran out of questions. The meeting was very successful for my small business, and I feel like I was well respected by the time I left. I don't know if he knew exactly what the watch was, but I did know he broke eye contact to look at it. Maybe wearing the watch gave me the feeling of success which projected outwards, maybe the watch itself projected success.
Thurnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 01:21 PM   #41
Mrdi
Banned

Wear the Exp 1.
Understated elegance.
NO pretense.
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 01:29 PM   #42
ezmoney46

Watch: several
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHE View Post
Patrick, wear the Rolex on your interviews. You will be interviewing with the highering manager or the regional manager depending on where you are in the interview process. Believe me, the people interviewing you will not be wearing a plastic casio. I'm not sure of your background but I'm assuming you were in some type of B2B sales prior to this. If this is the case your Rolex certainly will give the impression you were successful at your last job. When interviewing for these types of jobs the highering managers look for specific proof of success, i.e. awards, rankings, ROLEX!!!

The last piece of advice I can provide is wear whatever watch you feel comfortable with. The last thing you want is to be thinking what the interviewer thinks of your watch---you'd rather concentrate on formulating answers to their questions. By the way, I am a regional account manager in the Pharmaceutical market!!!!

MOST IMPORTANT: DO NOT WALK OUT OF THE INTERVIEW WITHOUT ASKING FOR THE JOB!!!!!
Agree, I'm in sales as well.
ezmoney46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 03:28 PM   #43
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
Wear it. Unless it's solid gold, the interviewer isn't going to notice.

The only person that would notice it if it's a SS or platinum is someone who knows Rolex style. The "Rolex" name on the dial is so small that unless they have microscope glasses on, they wouldn't know what brand it is.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 04:30 PM   #44
Blown Wide Open
"TRF" Member

Watch: All with a crown.
Thank you for the good wishes and the extreemly sound advice everyone.

The thing I am most proud of is my brag book of past accomplishments. I have the rankings, awards, ect., that are extreemly important. Plus, not to shine my own shoes, but I think I interview pretty well. I have the confidence from proving myself in two previous sales positions. One with Xerox, one with a large Pharmaceutical company.

However, with that being said, I think I am going to go with the Airking.

Plain, conservative, down to earth, yet shows besides what is on paper, I have taste and willingness to earn a bonus. If they even notice...lol...

The reason why I ask is because I am guilty or when meeting someone, I always look at what they are wearing. I'm not saying I judge them on it...exactly, but it does leave a definate first impression before I get to know said person. Basically, I'm looking for a positive first impression, and let my work history, refrences, and myself do the rest.

Thank you again for the feedback.

Patrick

Instagram: El_Diablo_Rosso

Last edited by Blown Wide Open; 27 February 2007 at 06:16 PM..
Blown Wide Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 05:20 PM   #45
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansion View Post
Go for it. The medical devices people will see you as someone who appreciates good engineering and craftmanship (bal bal bla).

They'll also conclude that you are a man of taste, of course.
what he said
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 05:40 PM   #46
John Ireland
"TRF" Member

That you are asking the question

says that your have concerns about the Rolex being a possible liability in terms of the interview. And it says that you seriously want this job. Rolex isn't paying you to wear their watch. And this interview is not about a watch...it is about maximizing your success at the meeting.

Since I'm not a fan of the TAGs...I wouldn't wear any watch...especially if you have a quality cell phone or blackberry. They are the clocks/watches that most businesses use and so that is what I would use at the interview.

A job interview has only one priority, to get you the job. Slip your Rolex into your pocket...enjoy the interview without worrying about what is or isn't on yoru wrist...get the job...and enjoy the Rolex all the way home.

Best of luck.
John
John Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 07:23 PM   #47
notti
"TRF" Member

gee.... i just wore my LV to a interview yesterday...

it was a engineering job so i guess the interviewer will respect true engineering... blah
notti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 09:36 PM   #48
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I think only people on this forum would care about what kind of watch someone wears.....the people interviewing you will want to look inside you, get in your head, not on the outside...they may not even know what a Rolex is. I think you should concentrate your efforts on learning the company you will want to work for and why...not what kind of watch to wear.

My $0.02

Good luck

Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2007, 04:41 AM   #49
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyjet601 View Post
I think only people on this forum would care about what kind of watch someone wears.....the people interviewing you will want to look inside you, get in your head, not on the outside...they may not even know what a Rolex is. I think you should concentrate your efforts on learning the company you will want to work for and why...not what kind of watch to wear.

My $0.02

Good luck

Now there's a sensible post, guys!!! LlSTEN!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2007, 10:15 AM   #50
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
But your watch can be your skyhook. You can feel more comfortable and secure with your "blankie" even if it is a Rolex. Wear your lucky loafers, magic tie clasp, good luck hair gel, and your Rolex. Whatever gives you the self confidnce you need, helps. The realize you do not NEED it, you already HAVE it!
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2007, 10:25 AM   #51
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
As I stated before, the kinds of things that will get you the job come from within, IMO. If it were me, I'd take it out of the equation and let my confidence, manner and experience do the talking...

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2007, 10:46 AM   #52
ABushman

I shared this thread with my wife, who is the Director of Human Resources at an electronics manufacturing corporation. Her comments:

1. If you are interviewing for a sales position, wear the Rolex. It is what is refered to as a "qualifier".

2. If you are interviewing for a senior management position, consider wearing the Rolex. It represents success, good taste, and an appreciation of quality, and should merely compliment the rest of your outfit.

3. For any other position, wear the Rolex hidden under the sleave of your suit (you are wearing a suit?). If the interviewer is wearing a comparable or better watch, then feel free to casually display yours. Otherwise, keep it hidden.

4. In any case, as many others have said - do not let what is on you arm (or any other place for that matter) dictate what happens in the interview - it is all about you and your abilities, accomplishments, potential, and perspectives.

Best luck with the interviews!!
ABushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2007, 11:18 AM   #53
BHE

Watch: LV Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABushman View Post
I shared this thread with my wife, who is the Director of Human Resources at an electronics manufacturing corporation. Her comments:

1. If you are interviewing for a sales position, wear the Rolex. It is what is refered to as a "qualifier".

2. If you are interviewing for a senior management position, consider wearing the Rolex. It represents success, good taste, and an appreciation of quality, and should merely compliment the rest of your outfit.

3. For any other position, wear the Rolex hidden under the sleave of your suit (you are wearing a suit?). If the interviewer is wearing a comparable or better watch, then feel free to casually display yours. Otherwise, keep it hidden.

4. In any case, as many others have said - do not let what is on you arm (or any other place for that matter) dictate what happens in the interview - it is all about you and your abilities, accomplishments, potential, and perspectives.

Best luck with the interviews!!

I like it!!
BHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2007, 11:29 AM   #54
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Unless you are interviewing at Timex, Casio, Armatron....
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2007, 12:03 PM   #55
Wayno

Watch: TTDJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
Unless you are interviewing at Timex, Casio, Armatron....
Once Again Robert
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2007, 12:48 PM   #56
haakon59
"TRF" Member

I think a Rolex Datejust or Air King is a great choice. Most people have the impression of the Rolex brand as being a very solid and conservative choice, so my guess is that if the interviewer notices at all, he will certainly not count it against you. Good luck.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2007, 01:19 PM   #57
Blue Bull
Banned

I am my own boss,so I wear what I want ..

When I went for my Registrars post in Anaesthesiology,interview(3 posts and 45 applicants ...) ALL that mattered was the fact that I did an extra degree in my Houseman/Intern year.This impressed the Prof.This was above the rest and mattered,not clothes, watches or even what I said in the interview.

I got the post and started the worst years of my life.Worth it, at the end,but it was HELL !! ...

Why is it that something thats worth it,is always so hard .... ???
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2007, 05:02 PM   #58
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

Wear it , It shows you have style but don't get distracted
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote