The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 13 June 2011, 06:40 AM   #31
beowulf566
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx,Omga,CyS,brtln
I forgot the new Aqua Terra was the 8500 which makes me feel better, and to be honest with you I will still buy the Aqua Terra at some point in the not so distant future. I am sure that all Brands have had problems, I am a little upset mine is one of them but hey........poop...happens So far it is still running so if it happens again I will bring it back to the AD and have them send it in for service and go from there.
Old 13 June 2011, 06:58 AM   #32
Gary.
"TRF" Member

I hope things work out. The word is that the fix is usually permanent.

The AT 8500 is a great watch. Good-looking, versatile and with a movement that is peerless at this level.
Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 07:10 AM   #33
beowulf566
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary. View Post
I hope things work out. The word is that the fix is usually permanent.

The AT 8500 is a great watch. Good-looking, versatile and with a movement that is peerless at this level.
Thank you! and I will say that my P.O. looks great (fit/finish) and feels great on the wrist, i am sure that after i get this resolved I will be more than happy with it.
Old 13 June 2011, 07:50 AM   #34
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barstoolman View Post
You doing the double face palm 'cause you own 2 Omegas that have probably died I'm not an Omega owner posting that my watch has died........just summing up what seems to be an across the board problem with Omegas.........you don't see this amount of "watch dying" posts when it comes to other brands. You love 'em........good for you. Just don't compare them to better watches that's all. they are what they are..........Omegas!!!!
I'll be blunt here - you're talking nonsense. There are always a disproportionate amount of faults reported online compared to reality, you can't use it as a reference point. If you believed what the internet says, not a single ceramic bezel on a Rolex would still be intact, and all of the new clasps would have fallen apart. I speak from experience - my shop sells maybe 70 odd Omegas in a year, a large number of which will be running a cal. 2500. From what we have to send back under warranty, the cal. 2500 is an exceptionally reliable movement. If I'm honest, there has only been one movement in Omega's range that has had a recurring demonstrable problem with its reliability, and that is the cal. 3313, which is a far more difficult movement to incorporate the co-axial escapement into. That movement is going to be dropped in the near future and replaced with the cal. 9300, yet the cal. 2500 is going to continue to be used alongside the cal. 8500. If there was a serious issue, don't you think Omega would be looking to get rid of it as soon as possible?
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 07:53 AM   #35
Emmett
"TRF" Member

Just have to say I got a new PO about 6 days ago and I love it. I think it's one of the best looking watches out there and the roundish band is really what sold it. I also have a Bond Nato that I'm going to use.

I also have a 24 year old datejust that I got new and have had nothing but problems with it from day one, it even came with a blem on the dial which I should of sent back but was young at the time and have regretted it to this day. My PO is +1 a day my Rolex is trying to keep up and it just got serviced a month ago.
Emmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 07:53 AM   #36
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Barstoolman has been sitting on his bar stool too long and as pointed out, he's just trying to pat himself on the back. But, his arms are too short.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
I'll be blunt here - you're talking nonsense. There are always a disproportionate amount of faults reported online compared to reality, you can't use it as a reference point. If you believed what the internet says, not a single ceramic bezel on a Rolex would still be intact, and all of the new clasps would have fallen apart. I speak from experience - my shop sells maybe 70 odd Omegas in a year, a large number of which will be running a cal. 2500. From what we have to send back under warranty, the cal. 2500 is an exceptionally reliable movement. If I'm honest, there has only been one movement in Omega's range that has had a recurring demonstrable problem with its reliability, and that is the cal. 3313, which is a far more difficult movement to incorporate the co-axial escapement into. That movement is going to be dropped in the near future and replaced with the cal. 9300, yet the cal. 2500 is going to continue to be used alongside the cal. 8500. If there was a serious issue, don't you think Omega would be looking to get rid of it as soon as possible?
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 08:11 AM   #37
rolexpawn
Banned

Watch: my Rolex(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary. View Post
Let me see if I understand this. You have a Rolex which had a similar problem to the one I outlined and, therefore, Omega needs to "re-think this problem before customers jump ship".
Did you jump the Rolex ship when you had your problem? Or did Rolex get a pass because, well, it's a Rolex, isn't it?
I admire Rolex watches, they are great durable watches, with a lot of history behind them. The movements have be the best in the business and you cannot beat them on quality.
The problem with Omega is a design issue and I hope some brain at Omega figures out a way to fix the problem permanently. Omega like Rolex has been around for a long time.
rolexpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 08:33 AM   #38
Emmett
"TRF" Member

I think the only problem is that this is an Omega thread in a Rolex forum
Emmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 11:29 AM   #39
Taxi!

Not to add fuel to the fire, but before I bought the PO that I had to have repaired (see previous post), I owned a Datejust that I bought used almost 20 years ago. I never had a problem with that watch and (ignorantly) never had it serviced during that time. Doesn't mean I'm swearing off Omega for Rolex, but if I buy another Omega I'll make sure it has a warranty.
Taxi! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 12:01 PM   #40
oldbronco

Watch: Ranger
brand new Omega died

start collecting vintage. you never hear of. a 30mm, 5xx, or7xx movement suffering a sudden death. also, vintage Omega have more panache, mystique, &history imho.
oldbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 11:38 PM   #41
ray_g
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbronco View Post
start collecting vintage. you never hear of. a 30mm, 5xx, or7xx movement suffering a sudden death. also, vintage Omega have more panache, mystique, &history imho.
I love vintage Omegas and while I agree with the second part of your statement, I don't know how you can be confident about the first part. The surviving vintage watches are those that have... survived, the fittest. The ones that have failed have long since been cannibalized for parts, stuck in drawers or discarded. Another reason to like vintage, IMO.
ray_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2011, 04:24 AM   #42
rolexertion

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf566 View Post
Thanks, so far it is still running today. But this might be the start of problems. It doesn't inspire me to pull the trigger on the aqua terra I have been eyeing.
The Aqua Terra has the 8500 movement that seems to be near-perfect in reliability and accuracy.
rolexertion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2011, 02:05 AM   #43
beowulf566
"TRF" Member

Died again on friday morning I will have to send it in just not sure if I should do it now or wait till it dies completely
Old 21 June 2011, 04:50 AM   #44
Wisconsin Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
I think the only problem is that this is an Omega thread in a Rolex forum
except.... the watch isn't working...

Pass the Kool-Aid, Emmett!
Wisconsin Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2011, 04:50 AM   #45
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf566 View Post
Died again on friday morning I will have to send it in just not sure if I should do it now or wait till it dies completely
Send it in now mate, get it taken care of I'm sure it'll be obvious to the watchmaker where the issue is.
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2011, 05:24 AM   #46
beowulf566
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Send it in now mate, get it taken care of I'm sure it'll be obvious to the watchmaker where the issue is.
Alright I guess I will just need to bite the bullet and get back over to my AD with it this week I hope it doesnt take to long to get it back
Old 21 June 2011, 06:27 AM   #47
blackmsport
Banned

Is it a co axial model
Co axial is not reliable
blackmsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2011, 08:41 AM   #48
dsio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmsport View Post
Is it a co axial model
Co axial is not reliable
Omega's whole range just about is Co-Axial, only a tiny handful of a couple of models have had problems reported.
Old 22 June 2011, 03:03 AM   #49
besview
"TRF" Member

Have been lucky so far with mine.had 3 of them and bought used.
besview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2011, 03:07 AM   #50
hunz

Watch: Rolex, SINN
here we go again...
Attached Images
File Type: gif popcorn.gif (20.6 KB, 100 views)
File Type: gif morepopcorn.gif (20.6 KB, 100 views)
File Type: gif popcorn 3.gif (20.6 KB, 100 views)
hunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2011, 04:25 AM   #51
Mikel212
"TRF" Member

Too bad there are no recalls in the watch industry

I wonder if the PO were a car, whether the government would pressure them to issue a recall. Honestly, the percentage of PO not working correctly may be small relative to the amount of watches sold, however, there are frequent complaints relative to other high-end brands ie:Rolex. I see "Omega PO dying" complaints in other forums also. For example, one needs to search for a ROLEX dying thread on a Rolex brand forum. On a Omega brand forum, one needs to just page down a few pages.

I own both vintage and new watches from Omega and Rolex. It is my opinion to avoid this co-axial movement until they get their sh!t together. Omega cant charge boutique prices for something with so many issues and have such a ridicious turn-around-time for repairs. If design and fashion is the only thing that matters to the consumer, then they should have never changed the movement. Charging higher price to justify the new movement's R&D and creating dissatisfied customers is not good business.

If the numbers of PO duds are so few, shouldnt OMEGA just stand behind their product and offer a recall or double their current warrantee? An Omega is not quite a Ferrari where consumers will keep spending money for maintenance. My last new Omega was the Bond Seamaster Pro with the 1120 movement. It will probably be my last Omega until I see improvement from them.

Is this 8500 movement any better? I work too hard for my money, I dont want to be their test subject.
Mikel212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2011, 04:57 AM   #52
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

I think it's a shame Omega puts out watches with sub par parts only to be returned for service by customers. I loved the PO when it first came out, now I'm glad I never purchased one.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2011, 06:30 AM   #53
blackmsport
Banned

Is there lemon law for watches
blackmsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2011, 11:04 AM   #54
beowulf566
"TRF" Member

It is a bummer
Old 22 June 2011, 11:11 AM   #55
dsio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel212 View Post
I wonder if the PO were a car, whether the government would pressure them to issue a recall. Honestly, the percentage of PO not working correctly may be small relative to the amount of watches sold, however, there are frequent complaints relative to other high-end brands ie:Rolex. I see "Omega PO dying" complaints in other forums also. For example, one needs to search for a ROLEX dying thread on a Rolex brand forum. On a Omega brand forum, one needs to just page down a few pages.

I own both vintage and new watches from Omega and Rolex. It is my opinion to avoid this co-axial movement until they get their sh!t together. Omega cant charge boutique prices for something with so many issues and have such a ridicious turn-around-time for repairs. If design and fashion is the only thing that matters to the consumer, then they should have never changed the movement. Charging higher price to justify the new movement's R&D and creating dissatisfied customers is not good business.

If the numbers of PO duds are so few, shouldnt OMEGA just stand behind their product and offer a recall or double their current warrantee? An Omega is not quite a Ferrari where consumers will keep spending money for maintenance. My last new Omega was the Bond Seamaster Pro with the 1120 movement. It will probably be my last Omega until I see improvement from them.

Is this 8500 movement any better? I work too hard for my money, I dont want to be their test subject.
The Cal 8500 has been superb since day one.
Old 23 June 2011, 03:09 AM   #56
beowulf566
"TRF" Member

Okay so here is the latest. I just got of the phone with my AD and told him that I was having an issue with the watch stopping. The manager told me to give him a couple days and he would get one brought in from another store and swap it out for me Way cool, this way I dont have to be without my watch for two months I cant imagine that I will get two of them that have this issue................we will see but man I really hope that isnt the case
Old 23 June 2011, 04:18 AM   #57
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
Wow !! What a deal !

That AD did right by me !
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2011, 05:36 AM   #58
beowulf566
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Mike B;2574057]Wow !! What a deal !

That AD did right by me ![/QUOTE

I agree! I hope to hear from him in the next couple days
And it is a major chain store too.
Old 23 June 2011, 08:57 AM   #59
beowulf566
"TRF" Member

Get this even better! I got a call a few hours later from my AD and he said to come by with it tomorrow and he will swap it out with one he has in stock! Now I dont even have to wait a few days for one to come in!
Old 23 June 2011, 09:48 AM   #60
manuu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex CHNR
So somebody's brand new rolex died too

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=182509

I think it's a shame Rolex puts out watches with sub par parts only to be returned for service by customers.
manuu is offline   Reply With Quote