The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 August 2011, 08:16 PM   #31
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCLady View Post
[Novice here ... pardon the wrong word usage]

I was at my local AD yesterday looking at different Rolexes (again!)... and the rep indicated that I should not wear a Rolex on the golf course because of the impact of the swing and the chronometer (i think that's the right word).. Honestly, I was saddened to hear this since, I want to be able to wear my watch all the time.

Though I am a women, I have a fast swing speed that is comparable to an average males swing ... meaning I can go long and far, but straight (tee-hee)... anyway, for the first time he recommended I get a Quartz watch for the course instead (battery operated?)...

I was shocked to hear this, and again sad

Do you take your watch off to golf?
Have you had the chronometer come off it's screw (or whatever that mechanical part is)...??

He told me it's about $200-300 to get it fixed if that happens from impact.

If I buy a Rolex, darn it all, I want to wear my Rolex!!!

Thoughts, opinions, has this happened to you, etc...

Thanks guys!
Just another case of where a AD is talking though where the sun don't shine.And all a Swiss Chronometer is that the bare uncased movement has been tested at the Swiss COSC. And has passed the test to Chronometer standards at the time of testing only to perform within a Average of between -4 to+ 6 seconds a day.And most analogue Quartz watches have a very similar mechanical main gear train system as a mechanical watch. Except there regulator is quartz and power is from a battery instead of a metal spring.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2011, 09:06 PM   #32
93 Turbo
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex.Tudor.PAM
X all of the above.

I've done stuff far out weighing a game of golf wearing a Rolex, or any other watch for that fact.

Go out and enjoy your game and wearing your Rolex.

Your body will fatigue long before your Rolex gives up the ghost.

Last edited by 93 Turbo; 7 August 2011 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: spelling
93 Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2011, 09:59 PM   #33
SALTY
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
I was under the impression that Rolex watches, great and tough though they may be, have no greater shock resistance than any other quality Swiss watch. In fact, unles i am mistaken, even the mighty Deep Sea has no greater shock resistance than other Rolex Sport/Professional models.

I do not profess these understandings as fact, merely sharing what I have come to understand.

Myself and some buddies who have rolex watches wear a didgital watch (ala G-Shock) when golfing. Then again, I sometimes have to apply for a soil disturbance permit with some of my iron shots. I will not even discuss in a public forum what i have done with the woods!

Last edited by SALTY; 7 August 2011 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: sPpPlleing
SALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2011, 10:03 PM   #34
ohfivepro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many :o)
Swinging a golf club will have no ill effect but missing a swing and hitting the ground will increase the chances of damage by a huge amount. Simply wearing a watch puts in in more danger than keeping it in a safe so it's just a case of how careful you want to be.

I'd never wear one of my expensive watches when cycling, not because I expect to crash, but if I do I'd rather have a £30 Swatch on that a £4k Rolex. Realistically I'm more likely to damage my watch by banging off of a door handle but it doesn't mean I won't wear one indoors.
ohfivepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2011, 10:05 PM   #35
Keeperoftime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Golf is not great for your Rolex. Though there have been shock resistance improvements (new parachrom hairspring etc.) the sport still is not ideal for any mechanical timepiece. Your timepiece may not stop running the first third or twentieth time but the jolt will eventually do damage. President Dwight D. Eisenhower, an avid golfer had to get his Rolex repaired multiple times after playing.
Keeperoftime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2011, 10:10 PM   #36
delldeaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never kiss & tell!
The devil is in the details

This is something I've been looking at off and on for a number of years as it relates to firearms. Specifically, what happens to one's watch when worn while firing a pistol?

Lots of different experiences, thus opinions, I suppose. But these watches have known shock resistance specifications. Those can be compared to shocks introduced by activities, eg, tennis, golf, shooting sports.

That to me would be more helpful in trying to agree on an answer here.
Old 7 August 2011, 10:44 PM   #37
SALTY
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
Well, speaking of details, pistol shooting, contra to revolver shooting, does not generate as much shock to the wrists as one might imagine. Whether the pistol employ a gas operating system or a recoil operating system, much of the recoil is used by the pistol to throw the slide back. However, the slide's aft movement is against a spring. After the slides goes all the way back (against the force of the spring) it hits a stop, then the spring forces the slide forward, after extraction and ejection of the spent shell, whhere the slides trips a fresh round from the magazine and inserts it fully intot he chamber, oftentimes also engaging locking lugs and or an extractor. In other words, the spring is strong as compared to the recoil of the fired round. This entire mechanism, along with the mass of the pistol itself, absords much of the recoil initially generated. For a right handed shooter wearing a watch ont he left wrist, there is less recoil felt by the left than the right wrist given the wat a pistol is held.

On a revolver, nothing save for the mass of the revolver absorbs any of the recoil but generally the way a revolver is held, like the pistol places more of the recoil as against the string hand.
SALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2011, 10:48 PM   #38
Hocksman

Watch: Oystquartz, GMTIIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Dweller View Post
I bang the sapphire crystal on the other irons as I pull a club from the bag. This tends to chip the edge of the crystal.
This is the reason why I don't wear my Rolex when I play. When I don't have a caddy then reaching for the other clubs will make contact with my watch.
Hocksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2011, 11:09 PM   #39
DiamondJack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few
I don't wear mine to play golf since I own the larger sports models and prefer a lighter and smaller watch on my wrist such as my Cartier Santos when playing golf.

But as with my Cartier, I am pretty sure any modern automatic watch is up to the increased movement and shock incurred by playing golf and I haven't noticed any I'll effects on the accuracy or reliability of my Santos. I have read that continued rigourous movement can cause any automatic watch to gain a few seconds over the day but that can be the case doing any activity or for that matter even just laying your watch down in a different position for prolonged periods. I personally have not noticed anything myself.

Having said that, I would never play any vigorous sports wearing any of my vintage pieces since, rightly or wrongly, I assume they are more delicate than modern watches. But modern watches - no problem other than the potential for actual physical damage such as mountain biking, surfing or skiing where my skill set is way below that required to ensure absolute safe passage for my beloved Rolexes.
DiamondJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 12:01 AM   #40
learpilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT GMTII ,SUB c,
I ALWAYS wear a Rolex playing Golf,have never had a problem.
learpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 12:17 AM   #41
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnyS View Post
i have had two instances in which my activities have caused my Rolex to need (minor) servicing afterwards

one was while digging my car own of deep snow/ice involving fairly high impact with the snow/ice

and the other was while bodyboarding with my kids, during which my body repeatedly hit the sand hard for hours at a time

the first instance threw it into gaining time overnight (hours worth), the second affected the auto wind mechanism

having just had my watch serviced at RSC, i'm going to be a little hesitant to wear it for "everything", but still for most things---took it off to play volleyball recently

also, mine is an older watch, which may factor in, and i know that some of the newer Rolex have special shock absorbers (more recent Explorer II for example) which may make them better for such activities
No Rolex has special shock absorbers only some today having the in-house made ones.While Rolex claims thats its more shock resistent they dont state to what system.And most certainly not the Kif system that Rolex has used for the past almost 50 years on millions upon millions of watches.And 20- 30 years ago Rolex watches were used as tool watches.Today reading the many posts on TRF most get such a pampered life they might as well make them from glass.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 12:19 AM   #42
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Today reading the many posts on TRF most get such a pampered life they might as well make them from glass.
so true!
johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 12:25 AM   #43
Sub Par
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub and GMTII's
The "can I play golf wearing a Rolex" question comes up VERY often, always has and always will I guess. But how often does a "I damaged my Rolex while playing golf" thread appear?.

Just a thought.
Sub Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 12:31 AM   #44
SWIMPRUF
"TRF" Member

I'd rather not.

Quote from minus4plus6.com:
Quote:
Nick Hacko sent me these images of a Rolex president and the damage done to the bracelet after a golf game. There has been much debate whether a Rolex can survive a golf swing. There is no doubt that Rolex can survive a round of golf, especially when Rolex is major sponsor of various top level golf tournaments. In the course of the these debates, people focus on the effects of golf on the movment, but there was never any consideration of the bracelet. Look what happened to an 18 karat gold bracelet that holds a pretty heavy Rolex President watch head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clasp1.jpg (11.6 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg clasp4.jpg (18.3 KB, 104 views)
Old 8 August 2011, 12:44 AM   #45
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Puts a lot of stress on the bracelet. I used my DJ for golf on several occasions and it did seem to enhance the stretch. I have a pouch in the bag that I now use for my watches.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 02:13 AM   #46
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

I always golf with one on and never any issues.
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 02:48 AM   #47
TSts
"TRF" Member

I never, ever, golf with any of my watches on. First, you're stretching the hell out of the bracelet, and second, when I swing, the watch slides and the crown digs into the back of hand, creating a bloody mess.

116710LN
116300blro
TSts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 02:50 AM   #48
steve1985
"TRF" Member

I always wear my datejust when I play. and I play about 2-3 times a week.

steve1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 02:52 AM   #49
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCLady View Post
[Novice here ... pardon the wrong word usage]

I was at my local AD yesterday looking at different Rolexes (again!)... and the rep (this salesman is not a golfer) indicated that I should not wear a Rolex on the golf course because of the impact of the swing and the chronometer (i think that's the right word).. Honestly, I was saddened to hear this (I am also crying) since, I want to be able to wear my watch all the time.

Though I am a women (?), I have a fast swing speed that is comparable to an average males swing ... meaning I can go long and far (congrats), but straight (tee-hee)... anyway, for the first time he recommended I get a Quartz watch (blasphemy) for the course instead (battery operated?) (double blasphemy)...

I was shocked to hear this (me too), and again sad

Do you take your watch off to golf?
Have you had the chronometer come off it's screw (never the chrono) (or whatever that mechanical part is)...?? (lol)
He told me it's about $200-300 to get it fixed if that happens from impact
200-300 you say ?...I wonder what will he charge for a full service maybe $3,000...

If I buy a Rolex, darn it all, I want to wear my Rolex!!! You should
Thoughts, opinions, has this happened to you, etc...

Thanks guys!
Wear your Rolex at all times
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 03:00 AM   #50
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
MCLady, put it on a nato and swing away.

p.s. I'll take the challange ...... once you get one how about a game of skins for our watches. If you hit it as long and straight as you claim it should be a cinch for you ......... Well ........
Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 03:05 AM   #51
ExpII
Banned

Watch: Milgauss, PAM 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by landroverking View Post
X2

Under water golf is a different story. Rolex should never be wet.
If the course is at Disney World, forget it. A Rolex should never go to Disney World.
ExpII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 03:17 AM   #52
Chipmunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXES
If you're still not convince with all the responses then don't wear it. Good luck!

Chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 03:32 AM   #53
Paracentesis
Banned

Watch: Tissot
Quote:
Though I am a women (?)
LOL. Nice thread.
Paracentesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 05:27 AM   #54
drdenn
Banned

Watch: Rolex Sub C 116610
I've worn my Rolex watches on plenty of courses and never a problem. However, many a watchmaker will tell you don't do anything physical in your watch! So funny, because I saw a thread here the other day that said an AD in Vegas told them not to wear a Sub in the hot tub because it would cause it to leak! and another thread that said a woman at Macy's told a guy he was wearing a fake Rolex as she was pretty sure that Rolex would never be silly enough to create a lightening bolt shaped second hand on a watch...amazing!
drdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 05:38 AM   #55
520Matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD, LV,GMT II Pep
Mickelson does wear it on a leather strap I believe.
520Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 09:40 AM   #56
Kevandra
"TRF" Member

You really shouldn't have THAT much impact on your wrists with a nice fluid tempo. I guess if you chunk your long irons or wedges on a regular basis you might do more damage to your wrist than your expensive timepiece. If shouldn't matter what your swing speed is if you hit it flush. Unless you rip it like Tiger...
Kevandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 09:59 AM   #57
godowning
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I ALWAYS wear a Rolex while golfing (usually a Sub but sometimes a D-D). I have had zero problems.
godowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 10:42 AM   #58
poopie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJack View Post
I don't wear mine to play golf since I own the larger sports models and prefer a lighter and smaller watch on my wrist such as my Cartier Santos when playing golf.

But as with my Cartier, I am pretty sure any modern automatic watch is up to the increased movement and shock incurred by playing golf and I haven't noticed any I'll effects on the accuracy or reliability of my Santos. I have read that continued rigourous movement can cause any automatic watch to gain a few seconds over the day but that can be the case doing any activity or for that matter even just laying your watch down in a different position for prolonged periods. I personally have not noticed anything myself.

Having said that, I would never play any vigorous sports wearing any of my vintage pieces since, rightly or wrongly, I assume they are more delicate than modern watches. But modern watches - no problem other than the potential for actual physical damage such as mountain biking, surfing or skiing where my skill set is way below that required to ensure absolute safe passage for my beloved Rolexes.
I'm an avid tennis player (me and golf never got along), and have been watching Raphael Nadal wear his quarter-million dollar Richard Mille **while** playing. Granted he wears it on his right hand, which only gets action on his two-handed backhand, I'm sure in a match he hits more backhands than the 100 odd strokes in a round of golf. I am hearing that all is well with the watch...

Yih
poopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 05:13 AM   #59
TheWatchAuction

professional golfers often do not wear a watch because they don't like the feel/weight of a watch on their wrist while playing - NOT because they are worried about the chronometer. If you want to play golf with your watch, go ahead and do it. No way 80-100 swings of a golf club is hurting a rolex...
TheWatchAuction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 06:34 AM   #60
fastskater

Watch: Submariner 5512
If it's OK for hockey, no problem for golf.

As a professional hockey coach for 10 consecutive years, I wore my Dad's old 1960's Submariner to practice each and everytime, shot thousands of slap and snapshots...scrimmaged with it, had the odd slash or two (albeit with hockey gloves protecting) and I am also here to say that the watch has only been serviced once (about 12 years ago now). It runs like a champ and until recently with the purchase of my new Explorer 39mm, I wore the Sub daily for approximately 27 straight years.

They are tanks...buy it, wear it, enjoy it. Life is short.
fastskater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chronometer , golf