The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 July 2007, 06:10 AM   #31
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post

That being said, true friends won't mind either way, thats a fact. But folks at work aren't always friends or enemies, but they are people, after all. I simply choose to aviod the hassle and save the opposition for those who need it on their own merit. It may very well be that no one will ever need it... On the other hand, most people wouldn't know a Rolex if it was on their wrist, or care. So my advice is simple: use good situational awareness & don't invite unwanted attention but if they ask, sure, tell them it is genuine! Go right ahead. Just my .02.
I agree 100%
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2007, 06:27 AM   #32
Wayno

Watch: TTDJ
I think in life it is more important Want what you have..rather than Have what you want.............Just a thought
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2007, 11:01 AM   #33
John685
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG DD
Not all in this forum are as wealthy as you might think. We raised a family of 5 on a cop's salary and I retired before I could afford a Rolex. Mine ain't fake and I'm not going to tell anyone that!

You earned that Rolex and wear it with pride! You shouldn't be ashamed of owning it and don't deny that's it's real. You can't control what people think and true friends will understand you and your values.

John

There is never enough time, unless you're serving it.

His:
TT DJ (116233) YG/Oyster/White dial, romans
TT DJ (116231) RG/Jubilee/Black dial, romans
Universal Geneve Polerouter Sub
Hers:
TT LDJ (179171) RG/Jubilee/BMOP dial, romans
John685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2007, 11:22 AM   #34
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
A very wise man told me today...and I quote...

"What other people think of me is none of my business."
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2007, 11:22 AM   #35
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
You did not mention that you had or do not have kids. I assume you do not. I can tell folks I have three nice watches and when they ask how I do it, I can say I can buy three Rollies a year and it is still cheaper than a kid. No one argues.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2007, 11:34 AM   #36
USMCsilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Anniv. GMT II
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
You did not mention that you had or do not have kids. I assume you do not. I can tell folks I have three nice watches and when they ask how I do it, I can say I can buy three Rollies a year and it is still cheaper than a kid. No one argues.
My only dependant is a miniature Dachshund named Havoc. He's the only "baby" that I hope to be caring for, for at least a couple more years. (Gotta get my TT Yachtmaster, first.)
Old 28 July 2007, 11:50 AM   #37
timebroker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
My only dependant is a miniature Dachshund named Havoc. He's the only "baby" that I hope to be caring for, for at least a couple more years. (Gotta get my TT Yachtmaster, first.)
I'm taking care of a beagle for the last month now, she destroys at least a Rolex worth a year of furniture but still cheaper than a kid
timebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2007, 11:59 AM   #38
Floridadogg

Watch: 116520 & 116523
I tell my social golfing buddies that my TT Daytona is real. I am retired. If I were working, I would wear a Casio or maybe an Invicta. The President of the United States wears a Timex. It does no good to draw attention in a business situation. Nothing puts me off like a car salesman wearing an 18K President. I see plenty of that, too.
Floridadogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2007, 12:03 PM   #39
Rawhyde

Watch: Blue Sub+Tud Chron
SSD and I have been very good friends for 20 years, and as usual, he made some good points. (Aside from the one atop his head...)

I was raised honest and proud, but of little means. After my father passed away, genuine poverty set in. It took me 8 years to struggle my way through college. During the middle of that, I was determined to buy a Rolex.

I did, but it was one of the hardest things I ever did.

I didn't want it to show off or rub in people's faces, (takes a genuine gold plated asshole to do that anyway) I wanted it for two reasons:

1. My whacked-out body chemistry DESTROYS 2-3 watches (non-Rolex) per year, and I was tired of settling for junk. (Shoddy and cheaply made products victimize people who can least afford it)

2. I also thought that if I could rise above my situation and actually GET a decent Rolex, then that'd be a concrete symbol that there WAS INDEED light at the end of the tunnel.

Today, I'm a mechanical engineer and I earn a decent, but certainly not spectacular living. Right now, my mother is bedridden with MS. It takes nearly all of my money and time to take care of her. I will keep her here at home and take care of her to the absolute best of my ability for as long as it takes. I certainly understand adverse circumstances! I wear my Rolex or my Tudor without shame, and I'm willing to share my story freely to people who'll listen. People who make their mind up to resent me just because I managed to acquire some decent watches...PISS ON THEM!

Feel free to enjoy ANYTHING that you managed to earn!

Rawhyde

PS To USMCSilver, thanks for serving in the corps! I never served, but I have many friends who did and I have great respect for our veterans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
I agree with everyone else. Don't be ashamed of what you've obviously worked hard for- any by the way, THANK YOU for your service! I, too, am a government employee (you can probably figure it out), am college educated and had a Dad who was well-paid. And like you, I am proud to say I work with very fine folks. Their backgrounds & means are widely varied, however, and while I do not conceal what I own I don't flaunt it, either. I don't wear the Rolex at work for those reasons, and because I won't let anything bad happen to it. I save the Subbie and the HK .45 Compact for when I'm also wearing my t-shirts, cargo shorts and tennis shoes (and driving the Chevy).

That being said, true friends won't mind either way, thats a fact. But folks at work aren't always friends or enemies, but they are people, after all. I simply choose to aviod the hassle and save the opposition for those who need it on their own merit. It may very well be that no one will ever need it... On the other hand, most people wouldn't know a Rolex if it was on their wrist, or care. So my advice is simple: use good situational awareness & don't invite unwanted attention but if they ask, sure, tell them it is genuine! Go right ahead. Just my .02.

Congradulations on the watch! In your case, I have no doubt you bought it for you to enjoy, not others. I personally find it satisfying to have what Rawhyde calls a "High Quality Item", and I bet you do, too. It sure is nice, love all those GMT's! Wear it in excellent health!
Rawhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2007, 12:06 PM   #40
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
I was having lunch with a co-worker the other day and he asked me what kind of watch I had on. I was hesitant to tell him so I just took it off my wrist and handed it to him to take a look. The first thing he asked me was if it was a fake. I took a long pause and told him it was real.

He was cool about it and he understood that each person chooses how they spend their money. So even though I feel uncomfortable mentioning that it's real, I rather do so than lie about it and claim that it was a fake.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2007, 12:13 PM   #41
timebroker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_bu98 View Post
I was having lunch with a co-worker the other day and he asked me what kind of watch I had on. I was hesitant to tell him so I just took it off my wrist and handed it to him to take a look. The first thing he asked me was if it was a fake. I took a long pause and told him it was real.

He was cool about it and he understood that each person chooses how they spend their money. So even though I feel uncomfortable mentioning that it's real, I rather do so than lie about it and claim that it was a fake.
That would make YOU a fake and not the watch no? :)
timebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2007, 01:29 PM   #42
LouCan

Watch: YM TT MOP
SEMPER FI
I too was a marine. got out and was married for 15 yrs. left with nothing, gave her the house and some 401k so she wouldnt touch my pension. I am a Electrical worker for a major electric company in my state. i remarried to a wonderful woman now (married in 03). I have great friends who would never ask if i had a fake. nor would i say that i did if it wasnt. At 44 I just bought my first new Rolex. spent more than i thought i would but thats me. After 21 yrs at the same company they are still just my coworkers not true friends. I work hard and make a pretty good living. Its about knowing who your friends r and who everyone else is. keep that in perpective. my coworkers wouldnt appreciate nor understand me spending 10,000 on a watch. nor do i care if they do. I drive a loaded f 250 diesil and my wife a jaguar. its my life not thiers. ENJOY THE THINGS THAT U HAVE AND WORKED FOR!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0898.jpg (55.6 KB, 84 views)
LouCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2007, 01:33 PM   #43
Mrdi
Banned

And what is the sonographers take on this?
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2007, 01:35 PM   #44
USMCsilver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCan View Post
SEMPER FI
I too was a marine.
Correction there brother -- you still ARE a Marine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdi View Post
And what is the sonographers take on this?
Dunno. She doesn't really know that I feel this way about the watch, but we have discussed such issues before due to comments on a Tissot or some of her jewelry. In the end, we agree with eachother that we earned it and deserve it. We are happy together, that's what counts.
Old 28 July 2007, 01:45 PM   #45
LouCan

Watch: YM TT MOP
Comment well taken I am a marine and always will be. Thank you for the correction
LouCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2007, 02:01 PM   #46
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
Folks like USMCSilver and Rawhyde make life worth living. It is nice to be a member of a forum with honest, hard-working people like them! More people like them would constitute a better world. However, I thought "dachshund" and "havoc" were synonyms. I have two sons, and our Dachshund's name is Scooter.

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2007, 03:52 PM   #47
Perpetuator
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Let me lay something down because I don't really think I've said it before. I'm 29, I work at Lowes selling appliances, I have a pretty new house, a pool, and a deck a little larger than some unfortunate people's houses. I'm married and we travel outside the US at least twice a year. My wife, 30, does ultrasounds. We are both college educated. She drives a newer Hyundai, while I have a 350Z and up until last week, three late-model motorcycles.

I don't say this stuff to sound like I am bragging. I'm just setting the stage. From what I've seen on this place, expressing that stuff makes me look more like a pauper.

Like I said, I work at Lowes. Most of you have been to retail establishments -- not usually the cream of the crop, however, some are hard working and very nice and intelligent (i.e. me - lol). But, your run of the mill employee is lucky if he holds a high school diploma instead of a GED. Many live paycheck-to-paycheck, drive cars you wouldn't want to be caught dead in, and their houses, well, you wouldn't really care to live there. There are often multiple problems that you hear from many associates, and you wonder how in the hell did they get themselves into that kinda situation, and you genuinely feel bad for them.

Example: A co-worker, Micheal rents a small house and has a kid from a previous marriage. His wife has a kid from a previous marriage, and they have a kid together. She has a re-po on her credit report while he doesn't have the best credit. She drives an older mini-van while he has an old Dodge Stratus that he's always working on. They never vacation. He was recently shopping for a new car, and found he couldn't get anything because interest rates would be around 20% and insurance was outrageous. He is always asking me "How do you do it?" I always feel bad and do my best to dodge the question and make him think that we're really not that well-off, but it's kinda hard to do.

My wife, Ami, and I went to the Bahamas for Cinco de Mayo last year for my birthday -- I got a Tag; we went to Cancun in November for our anniversary, I got a Tissot; went to the beach in March and I got a tungsten carbide Movado Valor. They know I'm going to Punta Cana for eight days in September. I like watches and I wear them to work. People notice and they talk. They don't understand why a person would want to own a watch(s) that cost hundreds to thousands of dollars. When I try to explain, they look at me like I am crazy. They also don't understand how we are able to travel and drive nice vehicles.

Our friends, well, they are good folks. Of the numerous couples we hang out with, only one single pair are college educated. Very few have a single college degree in the household. Many seem very jealous and it bothers us. We don't flaunt or brag, but it's kinda hard to hide a car and jewelry (wife has many diamond pieces and wears them daily).

So, now I have this Rolex. I've been outta work since May 10th due to a work related injury where I popped my bicep tendon and had to have surgery to get it screwed back into my bone. Bills are being paid, and I actually sold a motorcycle and a $2000 pistol to buy the watch. However, people won't see that. They know the name and know that they would probably never be able to afford a watch, or they have more sense then to drop $6k on a watch.

The sad thing is that I'm considering saying it is a FAKE just to save myself some grief. Or, maybe I should just say I'm like JJ and flipped some other stuff for a watch.

Anyway, I know this is long as hell, but I just wanted to see what some other people thought. Most of you folks here seem to have money coming out your ears, and that's a very good thing -- you've earned it! But, do you ever feel the same way?

Do you have friends, co-workers, family that seem to look down on you because you've "made it" in life? I'm just curious, and I'm sorry to have drawn this out.
Check out this thread from a few days back. It touches upon several related topics.

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=19817
Perpetuator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2007, 04:00 PM   #48
Blue Bull
Banned

Ever wanted to say its a fake ?? .......

NEVER !!!!!!!!
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2007, 10:49 PM   #49
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
Just tell people you knock off drug dealers and gang bangers or my personal favorite, I used to be a mercenary and bought this Rolex with four days pay. It's neat to see the reactions on their faces as the go way quickly, after all is that not what you wanted them to do in the first place go away?
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2007, 10:58 PM   #50
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
I did it once, but in a different situation than yours. I was in London, going by the London Underground ("Tube"). A man in the train spotted my Rolex (back then it was an SD) and he asked whether it was real.

"No, it is a fake", I replied.

Reason: I would not like to get mugged!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2007, 11:15 PM   #51
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
I dunno. We all want. We all wish. People should just be happy with what they have. NEVER will we have everything we dream of. Hell, I could win the lottery and get $750,000,000 and in the end, when it all said and done with -- what would I have? A lot of junk that amounts to nothing if I don't have my health and a lovely wife whom I love.
Well said.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2007, 11:36 PM   #52
Bama
"TRF" Member

Sterling,
I'm a little late to this thread. I understand your initial concern. I'm college educated, have managed to buy a new (but modest) house, and have a fairly new car but I work as a detective for a police department. It's honorable work but considered by many to be very blue collar and me wearing the Rolex seems a little out of place. I was talking to my sister right after I bought it and I mentioned it to her. She is well aware of my love of watches but still said to me, "Why would you buy a Rolex, that's so out of place for someone in your position or with your lifestyle." By some it will be seen as a waste of money and irresponsible. As someone else mentioned though you will find many others who spend a lot of money on other toys, etc. but it doesn't get the same reaction as purchasing a nice watch. I would say - no - do not say it's a fake. Be proud of your purchase and what you have. You are wearing a classic timepiece that will last you for as long as you want it to and can be passed down.
As far as the wanting of other things I completely understand that also. I look at all the big toys and wish I could afford them, but some of those things I can't justify spending the money on. Perhaps a federal career is in my near future and the money will be a little more readily available but for now I try to remember how lucky I am to have the things that I do have. I have a beautiful young daughter who just wants to spend time with Daddy and makes me feel rich every time I'm with her. Don't know if any of this made sense but I and many others are in similar situations. Best of luck. Enjoy that beautiful watch you are wearing.
Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2007, 11:51 PM   #53
WWOODDYY74

Watch: Explorer II
Quote:
Correction there brother -- you still ARE a Marine.

Dunno. She doesn't really know that I feel this way about the watch, but we have discussed such issues before due to comments on a Tissot or some of her jewelry. In the end, we agree with eachother that we earned it and deserve it. We are happy together, that's what counts.
That's right once a Marine, always a Marine! Semper Fi, Do or Die! Ooh Rah!

Doc Woody
WWOODDYY74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2007, 01:44 AM   #54
Carolina
"TRF" Member

Watch: it, Bubba!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedweller View Post
I did it once, but in a different situation than yours. I was in London, going by the London Underground ("Tube"). A man in the train spotted my Rolex (back then it was an SD) and he asked whether it was real.

"No, it is a fake", I replied.

Reason: I would not like to get mugged!
And that was a very smart decision!
Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2007, 08:17 AM   #55
TNRonin

Watch: 2000 SD
I was hurt once when a friend asked if it was a fake. HE of all people should have known it wasn't.

I can tell you this, as I was walking for gas in the projects in Ft. Worth TX (Long story), I was wondering what I was going to say to a "resident" if asked. LOL

I think my MIL knows I have a Rolex, I don't think my FIL does though. He is a super tightwad, and he bought my MIL a WG DJ, so when he figures it out, oh boy.
TNRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2007, 09:35 AM   #56
Rubenonfire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Wear it with pride, Sterling! You've certainly earned it and it's not anyone else's place to dictate to you what to wear based on ANYTHING. Don't let me catch you takin' a sip of anyone else's Haterade.
Old 29 July 2007, 10:05 AM   #57
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
I am genuinely curious in why you are working in lowes.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2007, 10:16 AM   #58
USMCsilver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo View Post
I am genuinely curious in why you are working in lowes.
I live in a small town. The nearest "large" city is Columbia and it's about 20+ miles away. Gas is ~$3/gal.

My degree is from USC; BS in criminal justice, minor in sociology. I used to be an engineering tech for the state DOT doing road design stuff on CADD. Hated the desk and went to school to get the degree. I worked at Lowes most of my way through college because benefits were good and, again, I hated the desk job at SCDOT.

Graduation was nearing, and I went to Atlanta to the ATF's orientation, and while it all sounded good, I didn't know if I wanted to follow through since I had no LEO background -- just the Corps. I also went to a few PD's in Columbia and while the pay was okay, the hours sucked, and I got paid better at Lowes. To make more, I'd have to go about 45 miles from my hometown. "So why not move?" Simple -- family, friends are here in my town. Wife grew up here, I like it here, etc., etc.

So, long story short -- I make more money than your average cop and I drive six miles to work. My wife makes good money, and she's three miles from work. If I drove those 45 miles, the pay wouldn't be worth it, and the extra 1-1.5 hours on the road isn't worth it to me.

I keep my eyes on job offerings around here, but honestly, I have good benefits, pay is good, and the retirement plan/stock options make for a good future.

I have thought about going back to school for something in the medical field. I honestly will probably persue this in the next two years.

Do I sound crazy?
Old 29 July 2007, 10:20 AM   #59
Rubenonfire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Do I sound crazy?
Not at all, my friend. If you hate your lifestyle, those few extra dollars don't really seem worth it. Part of the reason I ultimately decided against going medical.