The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 February 2008, 01:39 PM   #31
cmr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdx77 View Post
There's no price tag on piece of mind buying from an AD!

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from the movie Tommy Boy:

"Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me."
like i said, if it is a brand new rolex still wrapped in the plastic, it is the same dump in the box that your ad is charging you more money for. i feel confident in rolex's ability to produce a great product that i don't need an ad to charge me a few thousand more for it just so i can take it back to them and complain. after 24 months they will work on mine just the same as they will yours.

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2008, 01:43 PM   #32
azsunshine
"TRF" Member

Based on my own experience I wouldn’t purchase a Rolex from a grey market dealer I bought an Omega Sea Master at discount but several years later I am having difficulty having it serviced. When I bought my Rolex I couldn’t manage to get a discount but after my experience with my Omega I will gladly pay the retail price and tax to have a peace of mind.
azsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2008, 01:51 PM   #33
azsunshine
"TRF" Member

The discount I found wasn’t that great either on the new GMT 2 and the fact they had it available at the AD pushed me over the edge. The experience was priceless and now I am looking forward to purchasing an all gold Yacht Master.

Last edited by azsunshine; 1 February 2008 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: wrong post
Old 1 February 2008, 02:00 PM   #34
Haroldglen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
Your Rolex watch will last a lifetime. Divide the $500 savings you would get if you bought from a "grey dealer" by your life expectancy and you will see that it is not really that much of a savings. Buy from a Rolex AD and you will forever know that you have an authentic Rolex watch and for the first 2 years Rolex USA will stand behind the warranty 100%.
Haroldglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2008, 02:05 PM   #35
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
Definitely NOT worth it. Work with your AD or find an AD who's willing to work with you.
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2008, 02:17 PM   #36
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
I am going to get a pre-owned or from a grey market dealer. I see no reason to do otherwise unless I get a hefty discount (15%+) and manage to ship it out of state since the tax rate in CA bites.

Let's note that a Sub or a GMT is not UN Planetarium Copernicus. Rolex makes these watches by a boat load and there are enough spare parts and people who know how to fix these watches. That is one of the strengths of the brand and that is why I am going to get a Rolex as my first fine watch. I could spend a load of money at an AD or I can save some cash and get a watch that is just as nice elsewhere. The difference will be spent on booze, cigars, partying and other necessities. What if the watch breaks? Well, shame on me. It is just a watch after all! I certainly cannot take it to grave with me.
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2008, 02:24 PM   #37
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
No I don't like wearing watches that have been worn by stangers, yes it sounds stupid but would you buy used jeans or undershorts? No because you don't know what the previous owner was like. Just because it is a used Rolex does not mean that the guy/gal was just like you or had/has your expected standards. Just food for thought as they say. IMHO
Old 1 February 2008, 02:38 PM   #38
mdx77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
No I don't like wearing watches that have been worn by stangers, yes it sounds stupid but would you buy used jeans or undershorts? No because you don't know what the previous owner was like. Just because it is a used Rolex does not mean that the guy/gal was just like you or had/has your expected standards. Just food for thought as they say. IMHO
Interesting point.....never really thought of it that way.....
“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the BLUE pill - the story ends; you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the RED pill - you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Rolex Submariner 116610LV Hulk | Rolex GMT 16710 Pepsi | Omega Speedmaster “Speedy Tuesday” | Tudor Black Bay 79220R “ETA Rose” | Tudor Pelagos Blue Dial | Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold 116618LB | Rolex Milgauss “Z-Blue” 116400GV
mdx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2008, 02:39 PM   #39
chevycorvette
"TRF" Member

Watch: still looking
once u go black, u can't go back
chevycorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2008, 02:41 PM   #40
mdx77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevycorvette View Post
once u go black, u can't go back
WOW......
“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the BLUE pill - the story ends; you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the RED pill - you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Rolex Submariner 116610LV Hulk | Rolex GMT 16710 Pepsi | Omega Speedmaster “Speedy Tuesday” | Tudor Black Bay 79220R “ETA Rose” | Tudor Pelagos Blue Dial | Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold 116618LB | Rolex Milgauss “Z-Blue” 116400GV
mdx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2008, 02:44 PM   #41
azsunshine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree as well.
Old 1 February 2008, 02:47 PM   #42
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Quote:
I take it that you don't buy used cars or used houses :)
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2008, 03:19 PM   #43
CPCC
"TRF" Member

Go with Furman, he is legit and he guarantees the Rolex for life, that saves you extra
Old 1 February 2008, 03:22 PM   #44
cmr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
I take it that you don't buy used cars or used houses :)
i was thinking the same thing. i guess if you have the money that would be great!

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2008, 04:35 PM   #45
azsunshine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcc View Post
Go with Furman, he is legit and he guarantees the Rolex for life, that saves you extra

I only buy new cars and if I get great deal on home I will renovate it from the floor to the roof before I move in.
Old 1 February 2008, 05:30 PM   #46
Genevapics
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Buy from an AD and have piece of mind. In addition, you will establish a relationship with your AD. $500 is a nice chunk of change, but not enough for me to go outside the AD. Good luck with your decision.
Old 1 February 2008, 06:31 PM   #47
Chris B
"TRF" Member

Buy from an AD & you'll sleep better
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2008, 07:34 PM   #48
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
Grey market is okay if you trust the person. You can save quite a bit of money. $500 is a what it cost to get the watch serviced. If the grey market watch requires servicing then it would be better to get the new one. Good luck.
Old 1 February 2008, 07:36 PM   #49
walds11
"TRF" Member

Go pre-owned and you can get an even better discount :) That's what I do.
Old 1 February 2008, 09:12 PM   #50
DS/B MINI S
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD & Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLRdude View Post
Not for 500 dollars.
For a thousand or more... I'd probably do it.
I agree
Old 1 February 2008, 09:25 PM   #51
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
I don't know what this "peace of mind" is that everyone speaks of.

What are the odds of a brand new Rolex watch having a manufacturer defect that gets through QC? Can we all agree that it's no more than 1%?

Multiply that by the expected cost of correcting a defect if you have to send the BRAND NEW watch to Rolex. $500? Could be even less if you find an independent, Rolex trained watchmaker to do the repair.

Statistically (based on the above assumptions) that "peace of mind" is worth $5.00. $5.00, which could be less depending on the strength and viability of the grey dealer's personal guarantee and warranty. If your grey dealer's warranty is 50% reliable, then your "peace of mind" is now worth only $2.50.

Is it worth an extra $500 to you to obtain that $2.50 worth of "peace of mind?"

Now, say that you go the grey dealer route, and there is a defect, and the warranty either is not honored or doesn't cover the defect. You're in 1 in 200 territory now. What are you going to have to shell out? $500? You just bought a $5k watch--you can't afford a 1 in 200 chance of having to shell out an additional $500?

Or look at it another way: AD guarantees you spend the extra $500. Grey dealer you only pay the $500 one out of 200 times.

Someone please tell me my assumptions are wrong, and I'll start believing the "peace of mind" is worth it. When comparing a reputable grey dealer, I just don't see how your "peace of mind" obtained at the AD is worth $500.

If you're paying for the buying experience, that's another story. If you're interested in a long-term relationship so that you can get the Daytona or Milgauss, that's different. If your AD pours you 3 fingers of scotch (like Downing/Kansaivet's) or lets you drool over mountains of cleavage, I can see how you might have fun buying at the AD. That might be worth $500 to you (although I know plenty of places where you can get cleavage and scotch for $20, although it might be too dark to see your new watch).

But I doubt I can be convinced it's worth it from a fiscal perspective.
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2008, 10:20 PM   #52
CPTL
"TRF" Member

And for those of you who think my assumptions are way off.

Say the chance of a defect is 10%. This is a brand new Rolex, by the way. And the cost for repair is $1,000, which is DOUBLE the 5-year service cost. And your grey warranty is honored 50% of the time.

Peace of mind cost: $50.
Old 1 February 2008, 10:24 PM   #53
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And this post is just silly. Comparing a Rolex to used underpants? I'm sorry, but 99% of financial advisors--money professionals--would tell you to buy a used car over a new one. 15% depreciation the day you sign the title on a car, and the same goes for a Rolex.

Steam cleaning is $10. That will get rid of all the skid marks.
Old 1 February 2008, 10:38 PM   #54
fwellers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Gmt Master2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTL View Post

Say the chance of a defect is 10%. This is a brand new Rolex, by the way. And the cost for repair is $1,000, which is DOUBLE the 5-year service cost. And your grey warranty is honored 50% of the time.

What I wonder about, is how sure can you be when buying grey market that the watch is 100% authentic, never been worn, never had the case cracked, and hasn't been shipped around from place to place to place.

I admit I don't know much about how Rolex's wind up at grey market dealers, just assuming the usual, an AD orders more than he/she can sell in order to keep a certain status with Rolex, and then ships the excess off to a grey market dealer. Then that just means one extra stop in the shipment process.
fwellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2008, 10:48 PM   #55
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
No for 500. But Ok with 1000...

No, for 500. But Ok, with 1000.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2008, 10:54 PM   #56
karwath
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroldglen View Post
Your Rolex watch will last a lifetime. Divide the $500 savings you would get if you bought from a "grey dealer" by your life expectancy and you will see that it is not really that much of a savings. Buy from a Rolex AD and you will forever know that you have an authentic Rolex watch and for the first 2 years Rolex USA will stand behind the warranty 100%.
Actually this is a backward way to look at it. $500 saved today will at the end of your life = ??? Much more than $500.

However, I would say for the extra $500 today you can handle THE watch, inspect it with a loupe (JJ says never buy without doing that).

Rolex is good, but I often wonder if many of the Grey Market watches might have minor imperfections etc. which make them under close inspection less desirable compared to the average AD watch.

Also consider what if the watch is running fast, or has some other minor problem that you discover in th near term? An AD should stand behind the watch and either replace it or send it to Rolex, etc.

Will a Grey Market dealer do that? I doubt it.

Also, what about the repairs if you need warranty service. Will they be with genuine Rolex parts at a Grey Market repair service, under its non Rolex warranty? Who knows. With the AD you know what you get. That's the peace of mind to me.

The extra will be $500 well spent, and at a local business too.
karwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2008, 12:58 AM   #57
Rollie_Pollie

Watch: what you're doing!
For those who don't have loads of money, but have always been wanting a Rolex, a TRUSTED & RELIABLE grey dealer is an excellent option. For me, I saved roughly $2,200 over brand new with a warranty and a like new Rolex.

The key is being able to purchase from a reliable grey dealer that has a track record of providing quality items AND quality service. If this grey dealer only uses FACTORY Rolex parts in their repairs, then I don't see the problem. Plus, most of the reliable grey dealers offer warranties that are equal to or surpass Rolex's warranty. Although the watch won't be worked on by somebody that is an actual Rolex employee, if it is a legitimate, quality watchmaker then that's fine by me.

The way I see it, with the warranties and things of the like, it is almost like servicing your car. Of course the dealership is going to say that they are the best and most qualified to do the job in the event that something goes wrong, but if you can go to car mechanic that you trust and that you know will give you better pricing on the repair then WHY NOT DO IT?

Just my penny's worth...
Rollie_Pollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2008, 01:41 AM   #58
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTL View Post

The peace of mind comes from knowing you have purchased a legitimate product. Of course there are legitimate gray dealers out there, like Furman and others, but there's also a ton of unscrupulous sellers out there. Buy at your own risk.

That's where the peace of mind comes from with an AD. You have recourse if there's a problem.

It's your money dude, do what you want with it.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2008, 02:04 AM   #59
Earl Camembert
Banned

What watch? You should get more then 10% off.
Earl Camembert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2008, 02:36 AM   #60
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
You should not worry about the amount of money saved, you should rather be interested in the amount of discount received. Between 25 and 35 percent discount is fisible. I assume the trust issue is solved.
Some models (4-5 of them) there is no discount and sometimes there is a premium.
Let me know details and I will let you know the dealer to dealer pricing so you can adjust your requirements.

Man....the things I do for my TRF brotherhood

About buying from an authorised dealer or a remarketing Specialist...lol
From the dealer you will get a complete watch with all the Rolex paramfernalia in tact,
the warrantee papers,
bad service, snobish attitude and a feeling that they did you a favor to sell you the watch.
From a remarketing specialist
You will get a cup of cofee, maybe not all the paramfernalia, sometimes a watch without box but a great much lower price and a friend for life, your custom is totally appreciated.
T H E C H O I C E I S Y O U R S
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
defect , piece of mind , warranty