The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 3 June 2014, 11:39 PM   #31
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
I don't understand why you didn't took some pics, posted them here on TRF and than you got all the info before you bought or probably didn't buy the watch with all the info you have now

It would have saved you a lot of money

Expensive lesson ; (

9 k is no peanuts . . .

Good luck

HAGOne

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Old 3 June 2014, 11:41 PM   #32
nickb732
"TRF" Member

$9000 wow. Sorry man. That sucks. It's honestly really hard to give you a ball park because all those aftermarket and franken parts make it worth very little.

Nick
Old 3 June 2014, 11:50 PM   #33
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Wow that sucks my man. I would just sell it and call it a day or melt it down for the scrap value.
Old 3 June 2014, 11:51 PM   #34
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

I would take the $5K and eat the balance, I don't think you can get that on a resell
Chalk it up to a lesson.
Old 3 June 2014, 11:54 PM   #35
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
The movement is real. I'd guess the case is real. Everything else is likely aftermarket.
Old 3 June 2014, 11:55 PM   #36
alanc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 16710B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
I would take the $5K and eat the balance, I don't think you can get that on a resell
Chalk it up to a lesson.
This X1000. If the seller will "give" you 5000 to take it back, I'd take that in a millisecond and run like hell. Then, after some reflection and further savings, come back here and check out our trusted sellers.

Old 4 June 2014, 12:00 AM   #37
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa82 View Post
I paid about 9000$ for it, and i'm stressing out because the guy only wants to pay back 5K and don't know what the best thing to do is. I know I can sue him, but I don't have time for the headaches, but if it comes to it I will.... I just want to know as is what would it be worth, i know it's aftermarket dial and bracelet....
I would cut my losses, sell it back for 5k and next time buy through an AD.
Old 4 June 2014, 12:01 AM   #38
aa82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
The movement is real. I'd guess the case is real. Everything else is likely aftermarket.
that's what i'm thinking... it's just a hard hit to take, i was hoping i'd get more positive feedback that i could recover more of my money back
Old 4 June 2014, 12:02 AM   #39
ExplorerChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16550
It sure isn't worth anywhere near 9k
He's not going to give you a full refund unless you sue and he for sure will only give you a fraction of what you paid for it. It's a pawn shop that's what they do, take advantage of people.
What if any paperwork did you get when you purchased it and what is the wording on the bill of sale?
If there were a humane society for Rolex watches someone would have come and taken that away and charged someone with cruelty to a Rolex

A Watch Is Just A Watch
A Rolex Is A Timepiece
Old 4 June 2014, 12:05 AM   #40
eightbore
Banned

Did you by chance pay with a credit card? If so, you might just take it back, drop it on the counter, walk out, and cancel the charge on the grounds of fraud.
Old 4 June 2014, 12:09 AM   #41
aa82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerChris View Post
It sure isn't worth anywhere near 9k
He's not going to give you a full refund unless you sue and he for sure will only give you a fraction of what you paid for it. It's a pawn shop that's what they do, take advantage of people.
What if any paperwork did you get when you purchased it and what is the wording on the bill of sale?
If there were a humane society for Rolex watches someone would have come and taken that away and charged someone with cruelty to a Rolex
I have paperwork that he sold me the watch and I have a screen shot of the ad where he wrote it's all authentic with pictures of the watch.....
Did pay hard cash not credit card....
If I sue I'm confident I'll win
Old 4 June 2014, 12:09 AM   #42
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
that's what i'm thinking... it's just a hard hit to take, i was hoping i'd get more positive feedback that i could recover more of my money back
As everyone has said, I'd take the 5k and get a SS Rolex. It'll be worth 9k someday.

The movement is worth about $2500 and the scrap value isn't much so take the 5k.
Old 4 June 2014, 12:11 AM   #43
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
As everyone has said, I'd take the 5k and get a SS Rolex. It'll be worth 9k someday.

The movement is worth about $2500 and the scrap value isn't much so take the 5k.
Listen to Mike he is one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum without a doubt.
Old 4 June 2014, 12:13 AM   #44
swils8610
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Oh dear god. That poor Rolex!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 June 2014, 12:19 AM   #45
ExplorerChris
"TRF" Member

Sue his #%$ off

Quote:
I have paperwork that he sold me the watch and I have a screen shot of the ad where he wrote it's all authentic with pictures of the watch.....
If you have it on paper that it's all authentic and the means I'd sue him hardcore. All depends if you want to go through all of that.
You could take his offer of 5k but he's going to the the same thing to someone else.
If you part out the watch and sell the gold on the spot market for scrap I don't think you'll come close to 5k
I'm sorry this happened to you or to anyone for that matter.
This should have been a really happy moment for you and this scum bag stole that moment from you.

A Watch Is Just A Watch
A Rolex Is A Timepiece
Old 4 June 2014, 12:20 AM   #46
aa82
"TRF" Member

thank you all for all the help.... will be meeting up with him today and update you guys.. really appreciate the help once again
Old 4 June 2014, 12:25 AM   #47
ExplorerChris
"TRF" Member

You're welcome

Quote:
thank you all for all the help.... will be meeting up with him today and update you guys.. really appreciate the help once again
Youre part of the forum family.
Take a hard line with this crook and let us know how it went.

Best of luck

A Watch Is Just A Watch
A Rolex Is A Timepiece
Old 4 June 2014, 12:27 AM   #48
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
depends on his reaction to a face to face meeting , mikes advice is good , ,,, but , you may better the offer face to face ,,, if you know anyone in the media , take them and a big camera ,, maybe the publicity bluff will pay off.
good luck , i hope you come out of it not too badly ,,, but as mentioned .
if you had posted pics first the advice would have been the same ,,,, buy the seller.
Old 4 June 2014, 12:27 AM   #49
alanc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Standard disclaimer - I'm not giving you legal advice, and I certainly don't know the law in Canada. With that understanding, I'd seriously consider consulting with a Canadian attorney as to how you might fare relying on an advert. and a receipt in any lawsuit, as opposed to taking the 5k and running.

I also kindly recommend that folks in general be careful with written accusations and name-calling without knowing all the facts; there are these things called libel and slander. That's not legal advice either, but good advice all the same.

Old 4 June 2014, 12:30 AM   #50
ExplorerChris
"TRF" Member

Which one?

Quote:
Hello All,

So here's my story. I bought a rolex day date super presidential (diamond face, bezel etc...) from a local pawn shop. The watch has a serial number dating back to 1991 (starts with X). Bracelet is presidential and stamped 18k with diamonds down the middle. So some stones had fallen out, upon replacing the stones on the bracelet, my jeweller tested the band and it turned out to be 14k. Rest of the watch did test ok for 18k. The movement in the watch is stamped 3135 how ever it does have dual quickset.
I went back to where I bought it and can't get my money back. So my question is, without verifying at Rolex (because it takes a week), would a day date from 1991 have a 3135 movement? I understand that it should come with 3155, and some 3135 were modified to add the dual quickset? So am I looking at just a fake bracelet, or you guys think the whole watch is fake? Please as much feedback TODAY would be greatly appreciated!!
I didn't realize you were in Toronto
I'm in Oakville.
Which pawn shop was it?

A Watch Is Just A Watch
A Rolex Is A Timepiece
Old 4 June 2014, 12:37 AM   #51
alanc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyv11 View Post
Listen to Mike he is one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum without a doubt.
Agree 100%
Old 4 June 2014, 12:41 AM   #52
Im Lauf der Zeit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerChris View Post
I'd sell off the movement get what I can for the gold as scrap and whatever I could for the stones and walk away a poorer but wiser person.
Either take the above advice or sue the seller. Then spend a few minutes on this Forum looking at real watches so you can spot a red flag like yours before dropping $9,000 for it... Out of curiosity--if you thought that was a good deal, what did you think the retail for that interesting piece would be?
Old 4 June 2014, 12:49 AM   #53
alanc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Lauf der Zeit View Post
Either take the above advice or sue the seller. Then spend a few minutes on this Forum looking at real watches so you can spot a red flag like yours before dropping $9,000 for it... Out of curiosity--if you thought that was a good deal, what did you think the retail for that interesting piece would be?
I doubt the OP thought about retail price; he said above it was an impulse buy. I'm sure we've all done that at one time or another.

Not sure how old and/or wise the OP was before, but he's certainly older and wiser now. I doubt he'll make the same mistake again.
Old 4 June 2014, 12:50 AM   #54
syahriltaher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
For 18238 with that amount of diamonds....usd 9k is way too cheap...we're talking 25k above...

So I think there's possiblity that the pawn shop realized there must be something wrong with this watch so they offered you the watch for only usd 9k...

Also the 14k bracelet is definitely not right...18238 should have 18k bracelet same as the case...

Regards,
- Rolex RG Daytona 116505 - Rolex SS Submariner "Hulk" - Rolex SS Sky Dweller "Black Dial" - Rolex SS GMT Master II 16710 "Coke" - Rolex GMT Master II CHNR "Rootbeer" TT - Rolex SS Daytona Ceramic 116500LN "Black Dial" - Rolex 126710 "New Batman" 2022 - Rolex SS/WG Datejust 41 126334 "Blue Roman" - Panerai "PAM 88" GMT - Omega New Moonwatch 3861
Old 4 June 2014, 12:54 AM   #55
Im Lauf der Zeit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanc View Post
I doubt the OP thought about retail price; he said above it was an impulse buy.
I assume since he was patronizing a pawn shop OP thought he was getting a deal.

Or maybe he couldn't find that rare piece at any AD--they've been known to keep special stuff in the safe for good customers!
Old 4 June 2014, 12:58 AM   #56
Rosex
"TRF" Member

simple answer is ..yes

the fact that they wont take it back speaks volumes.

my non-a-d lets me take watches home to try before I buy and he always will buy back at anytime at 90% of original purchase price.
Old 4 June 2014, 12:58 AM   #57
ExplorerChris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syahriltaher View Post
For 18238 with that amount of diamonds....usd 9k is way too cheap...we're talking 25k above...

So I think there's possiblity that the pawn shop realized there must be something wrong with this watch so they offered you the watch for only usd 9k...

Also the 14k bracelet is definitely not right...18238 should have 18k bracelet same as the case...

Regards,
That pawn shop knew exactly what they were doing and hoped that someone would take the bait. Too good to be true usually is.
Pawn Shops in Toronto are all run by bottom feeders looking to take advantage of people. Either people who are in such financial difficulties they will take whatever they can get for Grandmas silver or people who want something like a Rolex and take the word of the scum bag crook behind the counter and hand over cash. They tell you if you pay cash I can give you a better deal if you pay credit I have to charge you more because I have to pay a service fee to the card company. At least paying on a card you can request a charge back and you have some amount of protection

A Watch Is Just A Watch
A Rolex Is A Timepiece
Old 4 June 2014, 01:06 AM   #58
1proscoe
Banned

Watch: GMTIIc
Ugh....

I wouldn't let anyone screw me over that way. If he promised you it was authentic, handle it calmly at first, and if it gets heated, I'd threaten to sue for everything and all legal fees associated.

$5K? I wouldn't accept that at all. Nothing short of what you paid..... although I'm sorry, that thing is hideous...
Old 4 June 2014, 01:06 AM   #59
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosex View Post
simple answer is ..yes

the fact that they wont take it back speaks volumes.

my non-a-d lets me take watches home to try before I buy and he always will buy back at anytime at 90% of original purchase price.
Mine will give me atleast what I paid for them.. More if I'm trading up + extra cash. I feel sick for this guy. I'd be absolutely :angr y:
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Old 4 June 2014, 01:38 AM   #60
SkooterNB
"TRF" Member

Just for reference...

18238 was with a fluted bezel, no diamonds and certainly not pyramid. Dial could be set with all diamonds, although settings on this look aftermarket.

Lugs look aftermarket, and case would need ref 18388 anyways.

Bracelet 84858 would have the diamonds, although those are set very badly and def not original.
Closed Thread