The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 July 2008, 01:51 PM   #31
Denny M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
I think for a very long time indeed. Rolex makes a lot more watches today than they did before. Parts for 3xxx movements will be around long after we "need" them. LOL!
Good to know, thanks Mike!
Denny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 04:19 PM   #32
jamesw
"TRF" Member

The problem of parts and servicing for superceeded products can be seen in many other areas such as the automotive and white goods industries. It would be great for Rolex to continue to service their vintage models well into the future but their main aim is to sell you a new watch!
jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 04:26 PM   #33
problmchylde
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665 SD
I am afraid thats the pitfall of owning vintage pieces.Sad to hear the day they won't even replace a plastic crystal.....
problmchylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 04:53 PM   #34
Spark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpryan55 View Post
This is what I don't get - Rolex hires more watchmakers, fixes its vintage watches and charges enough for that service to pay for the additional watchmakers it hired. How does this eat into their profits or reduce their productivity? I guess I just don't get it - can someone explain how repairing vintage watches hurts Rolex?

It would only be parts manufacture time and space in any event as the servicing is done at service centers who's entire reason for existence is to service Rolex and Tudor watches.
I am sure they will not totally abandon their heritage.
They know already by the amounts serviced and the parts supplied to RSC's and independent Rolex accredited watchmakers there is a very healthy business to be had in the vintage market.
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 07:02 PM   #35
AJF

Watch: 15223
I have a 15223 TT Date on an "L".

I am UK based, but for arguments sake say that I had been US based.

How long would RUSA be prepared to service and repair the watch?

Can anyone tell me what movement number the watch has and is the movement the same as the DJ's, both current and older?

Thanks.

AJF.

AJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 07:19 PM   #36
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I spoke to Rolex UK and they told me they would service and repair watches that were manufactured going back to the 1950's
Mine is 1957 and they wont touch that....could be due to the damage to the inside of the case though. Rolex will however give you the names of watchmakers who can service or repair vintage models. Tylden Reed and Chris Heal are two of the best.

Mine has a cal.1035 and parts for that are really scarce now. Mr Reed will make a new part if the job requires it but this can prove costly.

I guess it depends on how much you love the watch!

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 08:20 PM   #37
AJF

Watch: 15223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbits76 View Post
Mine is 1957 and they wont touch that....could be due to the damage to the inside of the case though. Rolex will however give you the names of watchmakers who can service or repair vintage models. Tylden Reed and Chris Heal are two of the best.

Mine has a cal.1035 and parts for that are really scarce now. Mr Reed will make a new part if the job requires it but this can prove costly.

I guess it depends on how much you love the watch!

J
Jim,

Thanks for the info

AJF
AJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 08:25 PM   #38
fear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpryan55 View Post
This is what I don't get - Rolex hires more watchmakers, fixes its vintage watches and charges enough for that service to pay for the additional watchmakers it hired. How does this eat into their profits or reduce their productivity? I guess I just don't get it - can someone explain how repairing vintage watches hurts Rolex?
I think once that old Rolex can't be serviced anymore, Rolex would want us to buy new ones instead of fixing the old ones.
fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 10:35 PM   #39
joey m
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
All interesting stuff, guys.

Got me thinking. I have a Pepsi at the moment. Do you think it could be a watch with a long life; one i could hand down to my kids one day, bearing in mind all the information re Rolex's future parts. ie In 40 years time, for example, apart from watchmakers with parts here and there, if there is major problem with some watch parts in my Pepsi, do you think parts will be available to fix it?

What about if i purchase a GMT II C ss, will there be a day in my kids' generation where parts may not be able to be found to fix a problem?

I know these may be way out questions, but for such a high end watch, it would be nice to know that in years to come a Rolex would still be "serviceable"

Thanks!
joey m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 10:41 PM   #40
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Wow...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
Ιt will have an effect on the profit that rolex is making in many ways

As i have said many times it is not cost effective for a business to have two separate manufacturing technologies

Rolex is refreshing it's manufacturing procedures and equipment it is very expensive in the beginning but in the long term you are experiencing profit due to the economies of scale as all of it's watches are manufactured under the same technology + they will not have to produce extra parts since ceramic bezels can take a lot of punishment.

From a business perspective this is what rolex is doing

From a marketing point of view they are trying to facelift all of their watches without destroying that much the classic design which is their trademark and that's what other manufacturers are doing too so rolex has to change some things or else competitors will have a bigger slice of the market.

Last but not least rolex is trying to re-establish itself as a luxury watch in the affluent market as many competitors like PP,VC, Ulysse nardin, jaeger are dominant there
Bravo Veli
The above shows mature and balanced thinking plus
exactly what Rolex is doing.
You have nailed it my friend
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 10:43 PM   #41
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempoKing View Post
Bravo Veli
The above shows mature and balanced thinking plus