The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 August 2008, 02:26 AM   #31
mgm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx007 View Post
Not everyone is cut out to be a one watch kinda guy...!

I always thought the same... but there are so many great watches out there... why limit your self if you don't have to.

I usually have one watch that I go to most of the time and one that I wear when I go out in the evenings!

I usually find my self always wearing this one...

or this one...

But recently my girlfriend has been wearing my Sub...

And I wear this one when I got out in the evening on a social outing...

And three very handsome watches they are! The Sub particularly attracts my eye, the other two having more distracting information on the bezels. But on the whole, they're so similar!

When you wear the GMT in the evening, can you keep track of the time at home? Wait... can you set it to keep track of dog time?
Old 3 August 2008, 03:14 AM   #32
mike
"TRF" Member

I've always liked the idea of a backup, so two would be my thought. Whether it's two complementing sport watches or a sport and dress, depends on lifestyle and interests.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2008, 01:51 PM   #33
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Dick
PM sent
Old 3 August 2008, 02:47 PM   #34
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Not sure for me how many is too many.....but one is not enough.
At least you must have two watches. One Dressy & one Sporty.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2008, 08:03 PM   #35
Dubai
"TRF" Member

If you love them and want's to sell them all , am sure you'll end up buying a new collection's and definitely you'll pay more , i think you should keep the old selectively collection you made.

They Say " Old is Gold " !!
Dubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2008, 10:26 PM   #36
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
If you did, I would say it would be a tough choice. And even though I am not wowed by the Daytona it might be your best bet for an every occasion watch of those listed. I know this is completely subjective but the others are pretty dressy and the Pam is just too stand-out to be an everything watch, IMO.

I do undertand the one watch thing though as I am always moved by the one watch stories and want my first Rolex to be one that I really LOVE. Case in point...

I met a somewhat distant relative at a reunion last year, an older man who had worn the same DJ for decades. He wanted one when he was in the Navy as other Sailors were getting them cheap on leave in various ports in the world. He was never able too while on tour and the first thing he did when he came home was to buy this watch. I was thrilled hearing how much he loved it and how he had gone through two or three (he couldn't remember for sure) bracelets and a couple of crystals over the years. I think collections are great and I have the same isssue with my guns, but I want the ONE watch that becomes part of me. Wanting that in a watch is what makes it SO damn hard to choose the right model. Good luck and keep us posted...

Patrick

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2008, 11:52 PM   #37
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm View Post
Interesting post. Are you serious or just toying with the idea? Are you entertaining a romantic notion of the focus of singularity? Or are you actually tired of so many watches? I'm trying to understand your motivation.
The best answer to this question is summed up by a far more eloquent man than I - see Patrick's (Brushpup) quote below. It sums up the motivation fairly concisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
I do undertand the one watch thing though as I am always moved by the one watch stories and want my first Rolex to be one that I really LOVE. Case in point...

I met a somewhat distant relative at a reunion last year, an older man who had worn the same DJ for decades. He wanted one when he was in the Navy as other Sailors were getting them cheap on leave in various ports in the world. He was never able too while on tour and the first thing he did when he came home was to buy this watch. I was thrilled hearing how much he loved it and how he had gone through two or three (he couldn't remember for sure) bracelets and a couple of crystals over the years. I think collections are great and I have the same isssue with my guns, but I want the ONE watch that becomes part of me. Wanting that in a watch is what makes it SO damn hard to choose the right model. Good luck and keep us posted...

Patrick
Patrick, this was my motivation here - one watch that becomes a part of me, that I use each day and then, at the end of my life, I pass down. And, to be frank, I'm getting bored with the rotation of my watches - and no new watch I've seen really does anything for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Dick,
If I had that decision to make it would be easy.
The Nautilus is my grail watch and the DD is probably THE Rolex dress watch so they would be the ones for me.
Perfect balance of casual and dress.
I'd love to see a pic of your PP 5711
Thank you, my friend (and thanks to everyone who posted here - it is a great help to get your thoughts on this). As for the 5711G, here you go:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0015.jpg (50.8 KB, 145 views)
rpryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2008, 02:10 AM   #38
mgm
"TRF" Member

Dick, I can appreciate and relate to everything you are saying. Is it possible that you are asking a spiritual question and not a watch question? How does a guy with one watch find peace with that singular item, while another can have many but find no peace in them?

There was some wisdom in Frostie's comment about selling all your watches, though I don't think I go back and by a more expensive and finer one. It isn't the watch that will provide the meaning.
Old 4 August 2008, 02:58 AM   #39
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Dick, I can appreciate and relate to everything you are saying. Is it possible that you are asking a spiritual question and not a watch question? How does a guy with one watch find peace with that singular item, while another can have many but find no peace in them?

There was some wisdom in Frostie's comment about selling all your watches, though I don't think I go back and by a more expensive and finer one. It isn't the watch that will provide the meaning.
Greg, I'm sorry, but it just isn't that deeply philosophical. Just grown somewhat bored with timepieces, my friend - the ones I have and the ones I don't. Figure that having just one is easier and more enjoyable. It is about fun, after all, isn't it?

I agree that Frostie's comment, while right for some, wouldn't be right for me. I guess I'm tending, as I always have, toward the simpler horological designs.
Old 4 August 2008, 03:23 AM   #40
mgm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpryan55 View Post
Greg, I'm sorry, but it just isn't that deeply philosophical. Just grown somewhat bored with timepieces, my friend - the ones I have and the ones I don't. Figure that having just one is easier and more enjoyable. It is about fun, after all, isn't it?

I agree that Frostie's comment, while right for some, wouldn't be right for me. I guess I'm tending, as I always have, toward the simpler horological designs.
Cool. I made a similar automotive choice recently; cars demand far more attention than do watches, and I came to realize that owning more than one "vintage" piece was becoming a nuisance. So I offed them all but one, and that one was my favorite. What a relief!
Old 4 August 2008, 03:37 AM   #41
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cool. I made a similar automotive choice recently; cars demand far more attention than do watches, and I came to realize that owning more than one "vintage" piece was becoming a nuisance. So I offed them all but one, and that one was my favorite. What a relief!
Cars are still a passion - may I ask what you had, and what you kept?
Old 4 August 2008, 03:41 AM   #42
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub and President
My father-in-law has a DD he's had for about 25 years. It's worn every day and has some pretty serious stretch in the band, but all that being said he paid about 8k for it at the time and it's never gone out of style and never will. I have about 13k in watches between Bluesy and Milly, and it's crossed my mind on more than one occasion that I'd be fine with just the Sub, or even stepping up to a DD of 18k Daytona and being a one watch man.
In search of DayDate
Prior models... Just about everything.
Chozn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2008, 04:29 AM   #43
mgm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cars are still a passion - may I ask what you had, and what you kept?

I had a number of older Mercedes from the 50's and 60's. The car I kept is a '56 300 sedan... I've posted photos of it elsewhere, but here it is again:

This car satisfies all my automotive needs, and it has been my partner on almost all my driving adventures. It is a pleasure to be in, and I can take five people comfortably anywhere they'd wish to go. Obviously, it's a sedan, and thus doesn't have the panache of the two door cars... but I wouldn't be driving one of the two door jobs; this I'll take anywhere, so long as salt isn't on the road.
Old 4 August 2008, 04:38 AM   #44
cocopeep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 116234
First of all, beautiful car Greg. I only have 2 wrists, and only wear one watch at a time That said, I try to keep my collection simple. One favorite rolex, my new GMT II ceramic for casual and going out, my concord delirium in SS for dress. I dont need to spend a long time to decide what watch to wear when I go out.
cocopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2008, 06:14 AM   #45
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Greg - what a magnificent vehicle! We have very similar tastes in cars, btw. Thanks for re-posting that picture.
Old 4 August 2008, 06:42 AM   #46
mgm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Greg - what a magnificent vehicle! We have very similar tastes in cars, btw. Thanks for re-posting that picture.
You're welcome, Dick, and thanks, guys. And now, back to 'the' watch...

Starting from first base, Submariner, Sea-Dweller, GMT... pretty simple, handsome and bullet proof, not demanding, and decidedly don't encourage precious behavior.

Personally, I like some age on my watches, and an early-ish, well maintained Sub would be a fun pursuit.

But that's me. I encourage you in your desire to simplify. It feels good as I get older.
Old 4 August 2008, 01:56 PM   #47
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If I were to do it, do any of you have any suggestions as to which one I should keep, or which one I should buy should I sell them all? List:Rolesor YM w/ Diamond and Sapphires on a MOP dial, SS Daytona, YG DD. I've got two other nice watches - a Patek 5711G and a Pam 48.
It seems you've got a pretty good mix of dress and sport with that collection, it would be hard to pick just one. My suggestion is to start wearing each of them for a few weeks to a month - whichever is the one you can wear in more situations is your main watch (whichever is more versatile). The idea is to start eliminating the watches you can live without until you end up with just one or two.

In my opinion, SS or wg/plat with a silver dial is the most versatile combo. So, if you were to get just one watch, I'd suggest you look for something in that style. If I were to get just one watch, it'd probably be an AP Royal Oak with a silver dial. Not sure if you're into that kind of thing, though. YM would probably your closest bet with Rolex.
lorsban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2008, 01:58 PM   #48
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Hey Dick,

Thank you for your kind words, but you sell yourself short on eloquence. For me, being a one watch guy will be my reality for the short term. I may own two someday, but my means will only support one without being entirely foolish. I could give up some other interests and activities to aquire more than one, but they are too important.........and expensive to boot.

If you are leaning Rolex, I assume you have looked at all of them mentioned here and otherwise. IMO, there is nothing more versitile than the Explorer1 for dress, casual, work or play. The rest (for me) lean more toward too dressy or too sporty, but I do LOVE the GMT/II non ceramics and I love the DJ's/Dates too. Still I struggle and just don't know what I will do, but most likely I will choose one of the first two models mentioned.

Again, please let us know what you decide............very interested in what you end up doing.

Patrick

PClub # 10
Old 5 August 2008, 02:20 AM   #49
Tempo

Looks like I'm a Watch Monogamist.

Since I got my SD several months ago, my other watches (including 2 Rolexes) have not seen the light of day. Just can't get myself to put on any of my other watches, because the SD gels with me and captures what I value most. Somehow, the SD resonates with the kind of person I am in a deep way.

Not that I've not cast my eyes around. I've been wanting to buy other watches to experience again that "high" I felt when I first got the SD. I've been looking at the GMT IIC, Daytona, Yachtmaster etc. which are very nice. When those did not ring my bell in the same way, I also looked at other brands like the JLC diving Chrono and PP Nautilus. But I do not feel in harmony with them on my wrist as I do with the SD.

I guess I just can't get myself to be a watch slut. Not at least until the Deep Sea arrives. It seems like a supercharged SD, so it should not count as watch adultery since they are essentially the same watch underneath, spiritually speaking.
Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2008, 08:52 PM   #50
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Hey Dick any updates on this? Noticed you mentioned some sellers remorse in another thread and wondered.

PClub # 10
Old 11 August 2008, 09:21 PM   #51
gmt master x

Watch: 70 s gmt master.
Quote:
I've got three Rolexes - Rolesor YM w/ Diamond and Sapphires on a MOP dial, SS Daytona, YG DD. I've got two other nice watches - a Patek 5711G and a Pam 48.

I wear a different watch every day, and I have to say that each time I put the next one on, I think to myself, "I love this watch. I'd be happy if this was my only one." So I truly love each of my timepieces.

I hear people on other forums talk about the Stainless Steel Sub or GMT they've worn for 20 or 30 years and how it has become a part of them and how they love it. Now I'm thinking of getting rid of the collection and getting just one watch. Or keeping just one. And wearing that one watch for the rest of my life.

If I were to do it, do any of you have any suggestions as to which one I should keep, or which one I should buy should I sell them all? I'd appreciate your opinions.

Please keep me posted, i would like to sell of my collection of 9 watches and just have one.
Ok maybe two.
Thats a real tough call, i do wonder about some of my older watches that i have never put one my wrist,,,, maybe this is the year i drop them .
I really wear my sub date 99.9 perent of the time.
Its somewhat of a sickness!!!
Good Luck...
Fjm
gmt master x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2008, 10:12 PM   #52
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
Hey Dick any updates on this? Noticed you mentioned some sellers remorse in another thread and wondered.
Really it's more of a process - I'm going through the rotation 9 or ten times to make sure it's what I want to do - but truthfully, I'm still on the fence.....
Old 11 August 2008, 10:57 PM   #53
YuppieKid
"TRF" Member

Keep the Daytona.

Old 11 August 2008, 11:00 PM   #54
YuppieKid
"TRF" Member

Beautiful MB and the picture looks vintage as well.

Quote:
I had a number of older Mercedes from the 50's and 60's. The car I kept is a '56 300 sedan... I've posted photos of it elsewhere, but here it is again:

This car satisfies all my automotive needs, and it has been my partner on almost all my driving adventures. It is a pleasure to be in, and I can take five people comfortably anywhere they'd wish to go. Obviously, it's a sedan, and thus doesn't have the panache of the two door cars... but I wouldn't be driving one of the two door jobs; this I'll take anywhere, so long as salt isn't on the road.
/.
Old 11 August 2008, 11:05 PM   #55
mickeydainish
Banned

Watch: Sub Date 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdi View Post
If ya gotta limit yourself to one woman,
might as well have options in other arenas!
Man, I was thinkin just that!!!!
mickeydainish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2008, 10:16 AM   #56
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Well Dick it could be worse. I am still saving for my first Rolex which will be my only for a long time, and I am still on the fence about what to get. It will have to suit me for work, play, and dress.

PClub # 10
Old 12 August 2008, 01:37 PM   #57
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Thinking about becoming a One Watch Guy

Yup, I thought about that too.

It was the worst 10 seconds of my life.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2008, 01:55 PM   #58
UserName
"TRF" Member

You need at least two watches

I truly think you need a least two quality watches. I was a one watch guy for a while, and felt naked when I had to send it in for service. I ended up buying a cheap Timex to tide me over. Plus I like the idea of one dress watch and one sport watch.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2008, 02:02 PM   #59
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Thinking about becoming a One Watch Guy

Yup, I thought about that too.

It was the worst 10 seconds of my life.