The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 September 2008, 11:28 AM   #31
Parachrom
"TRF" Member

Well now as a Diver and a treasure hunter, I like teh glistening of gold underwater. I like the look of gold, I like to feel its weight. I have found finger bars of gold off jamaica, and they speak to you when you hiold them. once you hold one, no other metal will occupy your thoughts. IN total we found over 186 approx 11 inch long finger bars of gold from approx 16xx .

The lure of gold. Its shine, its power over the mind. The fever it brings. LEt me have a 18Kt rolex Submariner with a beutiful Blue face and the saphire time markers.

Always remember.

Treasure is Pleasure.
Parachrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 11:36 AM   #32
llamaofdoom

It's not a "steel" vs. gold issue...it's a "white metal" vs. "yellow metal" issue.

In the 1980s and early-mid 90s, the jewelry industry was all about "yellow metal".

For the last several years, the jewelry industry as a whole has been pushing "white metals"...platinum, white gold, stainless steel.

At some point in the future, the pendulum will swing back.
llamaofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 11:40 AM   #33
daytona1

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshirt1957 View Post
I'm shallow. Chicks dig gold. I dig gold-diggers. Thus, I like gold. How many different ways do I have to explain this?
x10
daytona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 11:40 AM   #34
gmtobsessed
"TRF" Member

I like TT and YG sport model the most, but I cant afford it
gmtobsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 11:54 AM   #35
GinGinD

I wear a TT because my wedding set is yellow gold. I like to match it. The TT has the added advantage of looking good if I wear any silver or white gold jewelry too. To me, it's the best of both worlds.

Some people don't care about matching their wedding set and that's okay too. I'm just not one of them.

Jeannie
GinGinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 12:10 PM   #36
sweepster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Marine II
Well folks, this is an interesting thread. Ever since I was in my early 20s, I've wanted a YG President DD. I Can't tell you how many fakes turned my wrist green between the ages of 21-24. At that time, I could barely afford even the replica.

Then as I progressed in life and became a goldsmith, my yearning for a President lessened. I was more into Italian bracelet watches that I could "doll" up with pave faces and ridiculous amounts of various gemstones.

As time progressed and I actually began to "have money", I found myself starting to even shy away from anything that "blinged". Kind of a reversal. When I didn't have any money, I posed as if I did and when I finally became financially solvent, I dressed down and became much more humble and less pretentious.

Too shorten this book, my first Rolex was a SS DJ with a silver Roman Dial. I liked the watch well enough but as with most possessions, I get bored with them quickly and sell them off for something else.

After my mother died in Feb of 07, I was left with the task of disposing of her beloved YG ladies DD. After I sold it, my father said, "buy yourself a Rolex son, your Mother would have wanted it". I begrudgingly obliged and looked through Craig's list and found a beautiful 2005 DJ SS/YG with a WHT/ROM dial so I bought it. I really like this watch and when I look down at my wrist, it just looks "right" to (on) me.

As with all things, I seem to never be content with my possessions and I am always looking out for that conquest to find "something better". I buy and sell on eBay extensively, mostly vintage art glass, French crystal and Bohemian porcelain. So when I get a burr up my arse for something new, it is the first place I look.

Enter a YG DD that seemed to be a bargain. I thought, "you deserve this - you've dreamed about this watch for years in your youth". "It's time to 'treat yourself'". "Go ahead, it's better than your DJ and people will think you're the shiz".

Well, enter the let-down. I got the watch a few days ago, it is STUNNING. As a jeweler, I can tell you that it looks perfectly new with all the papers, box, warranty, the whole 9 yards. One problem.......

No matter how much I want to like it better then my TT DJ, I just plain don't. It's frickin' weird. I mean, I'll probably get wrist cancer from all the metallic abortions I've put on my wrist just to obtain the "look" and the "status" and now, 20 years later.... I am not impressed after obtaining the real deal. I look down at my wrist and it looks alien to me. It's not me, I guess.

So after all this blathering, I guess my contribution is that maybe some people are SS / PLAT and some TT and some YG. I don't want to say that I am a Winter and not a Summer but there just might be some deep psychological reason for these preferences.

Ah screw it, back to my Cognac.

Breguet Marine II, Breitling Chronomat Evolution TT 44, Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine 43, JLC Master Compressor Chronograph, Panerai 1950 Lumina Marina, Pierre Kuntz Moon phase Retrograde, Perrelet 1004C Power Reserve, Perrelet Chrono Diver, Versace V Master Chronograph, Rolex Datejust II
sweepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 12:45 PM   #37
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

I think it's partly a "street cred'' issue - wear steel and you've got it but wear gold and you're deemed to be a showoff. Also, collectors of some high-end brands much prefer steel - the S/S Lange 1 for example, which was discontinued some years ago, now commands a huge premium in the resale market and is much more sought-after that the white gold version.

Having said that, I love gold watches and am targetting the 18K GMT Master 2 or Blue Sub one day!
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 12:46 PM   #38
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
I think you said it best Audy!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 12:49 PM   #39
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
i personally feel really strange wearing a yellow gold watch, i prefer to fly under the radar and i think yellow gold watches scream.....look at me. I used to wear a yellow gold wedding band but last year me and me wife both switched to white gold, she got a complete new set which she absolutely loves. Ss is great for everyday wear, you can dress it up or down, it is just perfect. I find that i even prefer the look of ss to yellow gold, but i also only wear tool or sport watches, it is just my style. I won't even wear a watch with polished center links, so gold is definatly a no no for me. Looks like i might be shopping for another brand if rolex keeps going the direction it has lately.

look at me!!
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 01:23 PM   #40
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
I like them all. The TT Daytona screams to me. My SS GMT-ll is gorgeous. The YG DD or GMT - WOW.
I see YG plated Seikos all the time and don't think anything of it. a YG Rolex is a sight to behold.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 01:31 PM   #41
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I have a plain gold wedding band, but prefer "white metals." I have a SS/platinum YM. I have no interest in a two-tone. My favorite necklaces are all silver.

The both the blue and black face TT Subs are stunning. I don't think the blue Sub (in that color blue face) would look as good with SS. My husband has the TT black face Sub (because it was gift) and it looks great. His TT Tag sports watch, not so much.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 02:52 PM   #42
Art161
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
Some watches look better in SS, some in TT, and some in all gold, IMO. I like a combination of black and gold in general, not just for watches. My DJ has a black dial with gold stick markers. Maybe this goes back to my high school days. Our school colors were black and gold. I guess "personal preference" sums it up.
Member #13992 HM Power to the Superlative Panda, officially certified! HMPanda eats, shoots and leaves.
Rolexers do it with perpetual movements.
Art161 is offline   Reply With Quote