The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 December 2017, 02:11 AM   #31
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman23 View Post
I do think collectable in this case means sought after, but not necessarily in a monetary sense.

The question should be posed if one was building a nice vintage collection in 30 years, which models would be sought out?
Kind of sounds like semantics to me. Sought after = increased value.

Yes, You can collect things that aren’t sought after, just ask my wife about her shoes lol. But for something to be “collectible” as stated in the title and OP, it automatically implies value, at least IMO.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 02:17 AM   #32
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinmg View Post
I don’t think any modern mass produced Rolex is going to be collectible, there are just to many in circulation.
Been saying this for a while now.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 02:23 AM   #33
bod42zx
"TRF" Member

The big difference between past collectobaility and future collectability / value will be those that have been kept as safe queens with stickers on etc. I doubt many pieces from even the 80s were kept from purchase or BNIB but nowadays, a fair number of collectors are stockpiling brand new. Each model listed by the OP be worth a lot in 30 years’ time but only if in unworn condition. There will be 2nd and 3rd tier pricing for worn / used pieces.
bod42zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 02:32 AM   #34
duc888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don’t think any modern mass produced Rolex is going to be collectible, there are just to many in circulation
Maybe we can ask the opening question in another manner. Which model will be most price-stable and burn at least money (is this correct english?)?
duc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 02:42 AM   #35
Matteo E
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
I think the DJ2 should be on that list.

There seems plenty of up and coming Datejust owners who prefer the eisthetics of the watch (whilst I appreciate there are others who don’t), but now they’re discontinued, like everything in life, people want what they can’t readily find. Thrill of the chase and all that...

I would agree, I’m one of them!

I just got a DJII as my first, passed on a BLNR available at a local AD.
Matteo E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 02:43 AM   #36
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
ROLEX HOT MODELS RIGHT NOW??? Future collectibles

Mass produced models on this list? Yes.
Mass produced models being worn and eventually removed from the pool? Yes.
Models will be discontinued, some will become icons, perhaps grails, and in turn will be collectible.

The big question I think the OP is getting at is.... What in the modern day are those models that will become icons, grails, or be the most significant.
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 02:56 AM   #37
farscott
"TRF" Member

Experience has shown me that items considered as collectibles when new rarely remain collectible as time passes. The most collectible items are those that were the first of their brand, overlooked when new, and/or presaged an important development.

With that in mind, I could see the recently cancelled DD2 and/or DJ2 become collectible.
farscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 03:32 AM   #38
wuyeah
"TRF" Member

It is not hot. But I see it has a great future potential. The white milgauss
wuyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 03:38 AM   #39
Godfather111
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Step
-Rolex GMT Batman
-Rolex Hulk
-Rolex SD 50th anniversary
-Rolex Sub non ceramic 50th anniversary
-Rolex Milgauss Z Blue

The BLNR and LVc may not be collectible in terms of future value, but they're definitely a collector's requisite around these parts. Just look at the watch galleries, practically all collectors, myself included, have these two. They are just so equally gorgeous that you definitely want both.

The two 50th anniversary watches speak for themselves. Limited run, price will undoubtedly skyrocket. The fact that they are revolutionary cyclops and 43mm on the SD, and maxi dial on the Kermit, only helps their collectibility as transition pieces of sorts.

The Milgauss Z Blue is just the most beautiful stainless steel, non sports watch there is. It doesn't get much love now, but I have a feeling this will be a very sought after piece in a year or so. It's on my list of gotta haves.
Godfather111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 03:47 AM   #40
fleabag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyeah View Post
It is not hot. But I see it has a great future potential. The white milgauss

I’ve always thought that too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fleabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 03:51 AM   #41
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyeah View Post
it is not hot. But i see it has a great future potential. The white milgauss
+1
Old 27 December 2017, 03:54 AM   #42
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather111 View Post
-Rolex GMT Batman
-Rolex Hulk
-Rolex Milgauss Z Blue

The BLNR and LVc may not be collectible in terms of future value, but they're definitely a collector's requisite around these parts. Just look at the watch galleries, practically all collectors, myself included, have these two. They are just so equally gorgeous that you definitely want both.

The two 50th anniversary watches speak for themselves. Limited run, price will undoubtedly skyrocket. The fact that they are revolutionary cyclops and 43mm on the SD, and maxi dial on the Kermit, only helps their collectibility as transition pieces of sorts.

The Milgauss Z Blue is just the most beautiful stainless steel, non sports watch there is. It doesn't get much love now, but I have a feeling this will be a very sought after piece in a year or so. It's on my list of gotta haves.
But they are not limited runs

The 16610LV was produced for approx 7 years. The SD43 could be around 4,8,12 years etc. No one knows. Where did you get limited run from?.

The 16610LV currently is the most collectible sports model in the past 20 years.

Most limited production run in Rolex modern history is the recently discontinued SD4k. Approx 30 months. This model might very well surpass the 16610LV at some point value wise.
aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 04:01 AM   #43
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Quote:
I don’t think any modern mass produced Rolex is going to be collectible, there are just to many in circulation.
I'm in the same boat as you, however this got me thinking...

I wonder if anyone has done a chart using the assumed Rolex production in 1960 compared to the 1960's world-wide population and then tracked the Rolex increase in production to the increase in population to current day. I'm curious if the ratio of production to population has changed much.

Granted, there are a ton in circulation currently, but as the population grows over the next 10-20 years, will the current day productions seem more scarce then because there are many more people around to want them?
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 04:02 AM   #44
HogwldFLTR
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too many to list!
You might consider adding the Sky D Blue or what ever color you prefer. I also agree with the DJII as a potential win.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 04:09 AM   #45
teo
"TRF" Member

1) SD4k has unique case no other Rolex has. It has the shortest production run.
2) submariner 16610LV kermit is the only watch that can be consider 50th anniversary not hulk.
3) steel zenith daytona 16520. Rolex & Zenith u get two big brands. It is the first automatic chronograph Rolex ever made. The first daytona that started the craze.
teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 04:45 AM   #46
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Production qty is pretty much irrelevant to Rolex collectability in a downward sense...

What I mean by that is that Rolex are very sought after if they were produced in limited qtys....

Some models are also highly sought after if they were made in enormous qtys.

Take the 5 digit subs and gmt. There were bazillions of them made over the years...and they continue to rise up up up and away in value...

There are plenty of them out there...but it doesn't matter.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 04:46 AM   #47
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
The 50th An. Sub is the only one on that list that I think will be considered a collectible 20+ years from now. IMHO
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 05:40 AM   #48
keto9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 2017
Firsts, lasts, sticker safe queens, short runs, and not all of those by any means, and some only in that combination. Not even all limited editions/retailer named will be collectible to the general market.

Get yer dough out of your LV/BLNR now, if all you care about is investment return, imo.
keto9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 07:02 AM   #49
fleabag
"TRF" Member

Think I’ll keep the Flat 4, 2003 in the safe for a while longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fleabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 07:57 AM   #50
Helmi
"TRF" Member

No one mentioned the new ss skydweller
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 08:02 AM   #51
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwasheikh View Post
I Wanted to gather a list and get everyone's opinion on which rolexes are hot and which will probably becomes collectors items in the not to distant future:

-Rolex SD 4000 (discontinued)

-Rolex GMT Batman

-Rolex Hulk

-Daytona Ceramic

-Rolex DSSD James Cameron edition.....

-Rolex Non ceramic Daytona

Also does anyone see these new models coming down to reality or will there always be a premium for them?

Define “collectors model”

Are you implying extremely appreciated value / selling price or???
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 09:08 AM   #52
aquatimerfla
Banned

Interesting take on the subject from Ariel Adams

**Credit to Money Magazine

The real reason you should buy a luxury watch

While the world of watches is unapologetically aware of value, money, and prestige, almost everyone in the industry—and everyone interview by Money—agreed on one thing: Buying one should be about your enjoyment of the watch itself, not the possibility of getting a return on your investment. Above all, it’s piece of jewelry you wear, something emotional and personal, not something soulless like an index fund or cache of bullion.

“I always tell people to buy something they like, not something for an investment,” says Altieri. “It’s not a bar of gold, you get to enjoy and wear it.”

“People should buy watches they want to wear,” agrees Adams. “Don’t ever get a watch that’s just going to sit somewhere.”
Old 27 December 2017, 11:21 AM   #53
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatimerfla View Post
Interesting take on the subject from Ariel Adams

**Credit to Money Magazine

The real reason you should buy a luxury watch

While the world of watches is unapologetically aware of value, money, and prestige, almost everyone in the industry—and everyone interview by Money—agreed on one thing: Buying one should be about your enjoyment of the watch itself, not the possibility of getting a return on your investment. Above all, it’s piece of jewelry you wear, something emotional and personal, not something soulless like an index fund or cache of bullion.

“I always tell people to buy something they like, not something for an investment,” says Altieri. “It’s not a bar of gold, you get to enjoy and wear it.”

“People should buy watches they want to wear,” agrees Adams. “Don’t ever get a watch that’s just going to sit somewhere.”
This was pre 2018, from now on financial motivation and quick flips for easy money will be a huge factor, we've already seen money talk dominate even this forum in the last three months and this will continue in earnest next year as supply will remain low and prices keep rising. I hope Rolex are taking note.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 11:25 AM   #54
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
This was pre 2018, from now on financial motivation and quick flips for easy money will be a huge factor, we've already seen money talk dominate even this forum in the last three months and this will continue in earnest next year as supply will remain low and prices keep rising. I hope Rolex are taking note.
Agree. I just thought the article was interesting. The OP was coming from a 2017/18 angle of course.

Top 3:

1) Rolex 16610LV
2) RolexSD4k
3) Rolex DSSD JC

The rest is debateable
Old 27 December 2017, 11:31 AM   #55
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Flashbacks of this from back in 2011 in the sneaker world. Its now happening with Rolex.
Old 27 December 2017, 12:33 PM   #56
WhiskeyKoffee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Only time will tell. Basleworld 2018 is right around the corner. What if Rolex releases a 42mm Hulk with the 3235 movement? The price/collectible of the current Hulk would drop like a rock.

Next/Last 126600
WhiskeyKoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 12:45 PM   #57
Clay
Banned

When I bought my first Rolex the words, "Investment" and "watch" were never used in the same sentence...
But then again I am old...
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 01:01 PM   #58
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyKoffee View Post
Only time will tell. Basleworld 2018 is right around the corner. What if Rolex releases a 42mm Hulk with the 3235 movement? The price/collectible of the current Hulk would drop like a rock.
No. That would be a new model produced for the next 7-10 years.

A 40mm Ceramic green LV would command a premium because it was discontinued and replaced with a 42mm model.

Old 27 December 2017, 01:21 PM   #59
WhiskeyKoffee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatimerfla View Post
No. That would be a new model produced for the next 7-10 years.

A 40mm Ceramic green LV would command a premium because it was discontinued and replaced with a 42mm model.

I see your point and understand where you are coming from, but I also disagree. At least in the early days, it would be all about having the newest, greatest thing.

Next/Last 126600
WhiskeyKoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 04:56 PM   #60
"TRF" Member

Honestly, I don’t see the logic backing the collectibility of the BLNR... changing the color of half of the bezel and the color of the gmt hand...? Is that it? But again, you can’t use logic to reason with collectors i.e. meters first, two lines, font variations.. etc
997 is offline   Reply With Quote