The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 February 2018, 11:43 PM   #31
samson66
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
I think from new they come with 5 full links on the 6 o'clock side and 5 1/2 plus he divers extension on the 12 o'clock side.

Its all personal preference as to half or full

What's the set upon your DJ2?
Good question. It has six links on the 12 o'clock side and five links on the 6 o'clock side. I think one link removed.

Sounds like 5.5 on top and 5 on the bottom may work for me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2018, 11:47 PM   #32
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Good question. It has six links on the 12 o'clock side and five links on the 6 o'clock side. I think one link removed.

Sounds like 5.5 on top and 5 on the bottom may work for me.

Yep. I recon divers extension removed and you’ll be good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2018, 03:17 AM   #33
skkali168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116689
I took diver extension out in my deep sea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
skkali168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 06:54 AM   #34
samson66

Quote:
Yep. I recon divers extension removed and you’ll be good to go

Well I went today and got the bracelet re-sized. Got the diver's extension removed first.

Basically would have to have the glidelock on the tightest setting for that to work for me.

Then removed a full link, so had 5 on the top, 4 1/2 on the bottom. That was too far on the loose side, about second from the last notch

So put the full link back in and took out the half link.

As far as length it is perfect, pretty close to right in the middle of the glidelock.

Here's my question: Right now I have 5 full links on the top and 5 full links on the bottom. Is this how it should be done? It seems to fit fine but I woudl say the clap is off center, towards the 12 o'clock side.

If using 10 links, is 5/5 correct or should I have had them try 6 on top and 4 on the bottom? I'm so confused when there are an even number of links used.

Wondering if moving a link over will make it too out of balance the other way??? Help!
Old 8 February 2018, 07:19 AM   #35
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well I went today and got the bracelet re-sized. Got the diver's extension removed first.

Basically would have to have the glidelock on the tightest setting for that to work for me.

Then removed a full link, so had 5 on the top, 4 1/2 on the bottom. That was too far on the loose side, about second from the last notch

As far as length it is perfect, pretty close to right in the middle of the glidelock.

Here's my question: Right now I have 5 full links on the top and 5 full links on the bottom. Is this how it should be done? It seems to fit fine but I woudl say the clap is off center, towards the 12 o'clock side.

If using 10 links, is 5/5 correct or should I have had them try 6 on top and 4 on the bottom? I'm so confused when there are an even number of links used.

Wondering if moving a link over will make it too out of balance the other way??? Help!

Hmmm. Where’s the glide lock sitting at 5 & 5?

There’s over a full link adjustment in the glidelock so if 4 1/2 and 6 is too many links and the glidelock at its tightest, 4 1/2 and 5 should work?

Old 8 February 2018, 08:24 AM   #36
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:

I'm surprised they had you go through all that trouble, I found that simply removing the diver's extension and then relying on the glidelock was enough.

(I always encourage everyone to buy a couple screwdrivers, then you can experiment as much as you wish without running to the AD.)

Either way, keep at it until you're happy, I don't think there's a "right way."

Mine looks like this, glidelock setting is about the 2nd to last:
(ie toward the tighter end)

Note, two full links exposed on either side of the clasp, seems centered enough

amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 10:10 AM   #37
samson66

Quote:
Hmmm. Where’s the glide lock sitting at 5 & 5?

There’s over a full link adjustment in the glidelock so if 4 1/2 and 6 is too many links and the glidelock at its tightest, 4 1/2 and 5 should work?

Sorry for the delay there. Right now I can see three slots visible after the end of the bracelet. So I'm assuming it's the third slot in from the tightest position.

How many slots does a half link occupy you think?

Old 8 February 2018, 10:19 AM   #38
samson66

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
I'm surprised they had you go through all that trouble, I found that simply removing the diver's extension and then relying on the glidelock was enough.

(I always encourage everyone to buy a couple screwdrivers, then you can experiment as much as you wish without running to the AD.)

Either way, keep at it until you're happy, I don't think there's a "right way."

Mine looks like this, glidelock setting is about the 2nd to last:
(ie toward the tighter end)

Note, two full links exposed on either side of the clasp, seems centered enough

That pretty much looks exactly like mine when shut. So you have 5 1/2 at the top right? Five on the bottom?

So even if I add the half link back onto the top it won't change the fit at all since the band will just slide further into the glidelock.

So if I want to center the clasp better, it sounds like the only way to do that would be to remove a link from the bottom.

Old 8 February 2018, 11:15 AM   #39
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That pretty much looks exactly like mine when shut. So you have 5 1/2 at the top right? Five on the bottom?

So even if I add the half link back onto the top it won't change the fit at all since the band will just slide further into the glidelock.

So if I want to center the clasp better, it sounds like the only way to do that would be to remove a link from the bottom.

Yes, that's what I have (hadn't counted before.) It's the "stock" setup aside from removal of the diver's extension.
Old 8 February 2018, 11:33 AM   #40
samson66

Quote:
Yes, that's what I have (hadn't counted before.) It's the "stock" setup aside from removal of the diver's extension.
Do you find that the clasp is centered on your wrist or does it tend to ride closer to the top as mine seems to be doing?

Old 8 February 2018, 11:50 AM   #41
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Clasp should be near the center (like Amh pic above) for max comfort imo

Mine is centered (or close to it)
Old 8 February 2018, 04:24 PM   #42
MickCollins1916
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskymac View Post
Have you got the half link on the 6 o’clock side? Had a real good look at mine this afternoon and I ‘think’ I need 4 1/2 links at 6 o’clock and 5 at 12 o’clock, maybe even 6 at 12 o’clock depending on how far the links go into the clasp.

Was tempted to do it myself but when I looked at it today the tool I have isn’t the greatest fit for the screws and I don’t want to chew them up so it’s a trip to the AD I guess.

Here’s my configuration. The fit is perfection for me.

MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 06:18 PM   #43
Devildog
"TRF" Member

SD43 bracelet sizing.

Quote:
Sorry for the delay there. Right now I can see three slots visible after the end of the bracelet. So I'm assuming it's the third slot in from the tightest position.

How many slots does a half link occupy you think?

If you can still see three full slots you’ve actually got five tighter positions to go, so you can probably go tighter on the glidelock than you think.

If ten links work try 4 @ 6 and 6 @ 12 or even 4 1/2 @ 6 and 6 @ 12 and tighten the glidelock in more. That should centre the clasp

This is the glidelock at its tightest. Sounds like you’ve got a fair bit of adjustment left and at least a half link worth

Old 8 February 2018, 10:16 PM   #44
samson66

Quote:
If you can still see three full slots you’ve actually got five tighter positions to go, so you can probably go tighter on the glidelock than you think.

If ten links work try 4 @ 6 and 6 @ 12 or even 4 1/2 @ 6 and 6 @ 12 and tighten the glidelock in more. That should centre the clasp

This is the glidelock at its tightest. Sounds like you’ve got a fair bit of adjustment left and at least a half link worth
Appreciate everyone's help on this. Here are some photos of my situation. Again I have 5 full links on both sides, half link removed. Glidelock is pretty much in the middle.

I agree with you that I could probably add the half link to the top but I don't think it would change the fit since the top of the bracelet would simply slide further into the glidelock, which would end up with the same length on the top as I have now.

Hopefully these pictures demonstrate what's going on. The clasp as you can see is not centered on my wrist and because of this is tends to "pull" the watch face upward a little which is annoying.

Do you think I can go with 6 on top and 4 on the bottom or will this just create the same issue only in the other direction. Frustrated....

Old 8 February 2018, 10:26 PM   #45
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
If 10 links is working for you other than centering the claps, try 6 at 12 and 4 at 6 That would be my suggestion. Your wrist is the same size as Scott’s if I’m not mistaken ... you could always send it to him

I have a slightly large 7” flat wrist and I have 5 links at 12 and 4.5 at 6. The glidelock is perfectly centered.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 11:13 PM   #46
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Some pictures of my set up . .. Sorry for the low light, the wife is trying to sleep

In the last pictures I can slip my pinky finger under the bracelet.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 11:17 PM   #47
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Appreciate everyone's help on this. Here are some photos of my situation. Again I have 5 full links on both sides, half link removed. Glidelock is pretty much in the middle.

I agree with you that I could probably add the half link to the top but I don't think it would change the fit since the top of the bracelet would simply slide further into the glidelock, which would end up with the same length on the top as I have now.

Hopefully these pictures demonstrate what's going on. The clasp as you can see is not centered on my wrist and because of this is tends to "pull" the watch face upward a little which is annoying.

Do you think I can go with 6 on top and 4 on the bottom or will this just create the same issue only in the other direction. Frustrated....

Looking at those pics yes, I recon 6 on top and 4 on the bottom would work. Won't affect the glidelock's position mid clasp as the overall length of the bracelet is not changed.

Now, if 4 on the bottom moves the clasp too far the other way, then simply stick the half link on the bottom for 4 1/2 as Brian has done. I'd leave and 6 on the top and move the glidelock adjuster in, as you've got at least a full link of adjustment left in the glidelock so adding in that half link will be easily countered via the glidelock and you'll stil have room to adjust before you get to its tightest setting (as per my example pic above)

Old 8 February 2018, 11:19 PM   #48
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Yes, give the 6 and 4 a go. Absolutely. For whatever reason, most of us have more links on the 12 o'clock side than the 6 o'clock side.

And if it doesn't work, it's easily reversible.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 11:29 PM   #49
samson66

Quote:
Looking at those pics yes, I recon 6 on top and 4 on the bottom would work. Won't affect the glidelock's position mid clasp as the overall length of the bracelet is not changed.

Now, if 4 on the bottom moves the clasp too far the other way, then simply stick the half link on the bottom for 4 1/2 as Brian has done. I'd leave and 6 on the top and move the glidelock adjuster in, as you've got at least a full link of adjustment left in the glidelock so adding in that half link will be easily countered via the glidelock and you'll stil have room to adjust before you get to its tightest setting (as per my example pic above)
That sounds like a great plan! With all the combinations running around in my head I hadn't considered doing 6 on top and 4 1/2 on the bottom. Just never occurred to me. I'm going to do exactly that, try 6/4, then 6/4.5 if it moves too far. Thanks man. I'll let you know how it works out.

The watch is a total stunner by the way. I think that makes it even more frustrating that I haven't gotten the fit right yet
Old 9 February 2018, 12:29 AM   #50
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That sounds like a great plan! With all the combinations running around in my head I hadn't considered doing 6 on top and 4 1/2 on the bottom. Just never occurred to me. I'm going to do exactly that, try 6/4, then 6/4.5 if it moves too far. Thanks man. I'll let you know how it works out.

The watch is a total stunner by the way. I think that makes it even more frustrating that I haven't gotten the fit right yet
I'd start with 6/4.5 for the following reasons:
- IMO it's better to keep the half link in there so then you'll never lose it
- The Glidelock 'position' really doesn't matter if you include it. Sure you'll have a couple notches 'less' compared to taking out the half link, but overall the bracelet position should be the same.

Post pics of your final setup. I hope you get it sorted out soon!
Old 9 February 2018, 01:13 AM   #51
samson66

Quote:
I'd start with 6/4.5 for the following reasons:
- IMO it's better to keep the half link in there so then you'll never lose it
- The Glidelock 'position' really doesn't matter if you include it. Sure you'll have a couple notches 'less' compared to taking out the half link, but overall the bracelet position should be the same.

Post pics of your final setup. I hope you get it sorted out soon!
I hear what you're saying but I think I'll start with 6/4 simply because no matter how I do it I need one link moved from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock.

Then if the clasp has slid over a little too much in the other direction I can just have him add the half link to the 6 o'clock side.

In the end I do think that 6 / 4.5 is what I will end up with
Old 9 February 2018, 01:18 AM   #52
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hear what you're saying but I think I'll start with 6/4 simply because no matter how I do it I need one link moved from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock.

Then if the clasp has slid over a little too much in the other direction I can just have him add the half link to the 6 o'clock side.

Let us know how you get on.

And more importantly, it looks great on you

Old 9 February 2018, 01:23 AM   #53
samson66

Quote:

Let us know how you get on.

And more importantly, it looks great on you
Thanks buddy. I appreciate all your help on this and the others who have replied.

I don't know what I'd do without this forum (although my bank account would be substantially larger LOL)

Old 9 February 2018, 01:41 AM   #54
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don't think the clasp position will change at all even if you add the half link. Only the glidelock setting will change, assuming you adjust it accordingly after adding the half link. (That's my theory anyway)
Old 9 February 2018, 02:07 AM   #55
samson66

Quote:
I don't think the clasp position will change at all even if you add the half link. Only the glidelock setting will change, assuming you adjust it accordingly after adding the half link. (That's my theory anyway)
The change in clasp position would be due to removing a link from the 6 o'clock side and adding it to the 12 o'clock side. So the bracelet would be the same length it is now but would pull the clasp closer on the 6 o'clock side.

I would be going from 5/5 to 6/4

The only issue is whether or not to put the half link on the 6 o'clock side 6/4.5
Old 9 February 2018, 03:21 AM   #56
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The change in clasp position would be due to removing a link from the 6 o'clock side and adding it to the 12 o'clock side. So the bracelet would be the same length it is now but would pull the clasp closer on the 6 o'clock side.

I would be going from 5/5 to 6/4

The only issue is whether or not to put the half link on the 6 o'clock side 6/4.5
Agree. The only thing that affects clasp position are the number of links on the 6 o'clock side.

What I meant was this: whether or not you include the half link on the 12 o'clock side shouldn't make a difference since you can rely upon the glidelock to adjust the tightness of the bracelet.

Ugh, this thread has me second guessing my own settings! But I'll probably leave it like it is since I hadn't given it a second thought before!
Old 10 February 2018, 08:45 PM   #57
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks buddy. I appreciate all your help on this and the others who have replied.

I don't know what I'd do without this forum (although my bank account would be substantially larger LOL)

Hey man. No problem

How did you get on?

Old 11 February 2018, 12:03 AM   #58
samson66

Quote:
Hey man. No problem

How did you get on?
Headed to the AD later this morning...

Old 12 February 2018, 01:52 AM   #59
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Headed to the AD later this morning...

So how did it turn out?
Old 12 February 2018, 03:33 AM   #60
samson66

Quote:
So how did it turn out?
Went with 6 at 12 o'clock and 4.5 at 6 o'clock. Looks pretty much perfect to me. I'll wear it for a few days to make sure but I think I'm all set.