The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Ban investment discussions?
Yes, I can't take it any more! 181 57.64%
No, I love talking about money all the time! 133 42.36%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 July 2018, 03:44 AM   #31
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I also prefer if it were more 2008 than 2018 but that doesn’t keep the lights on.

Most topics have been covered, and in 2008 the discussion was more ballbreaking and banter with technical insight in a respectful discussion manner - which isn’t always the case today.

Newer Rolex owners and fans are also more about the marketed culture and associated brands and not the historical and technical subculture. Google has replaced much of the old forum topics too.

It’s a tricky balance but there’s lower hanging fruit to fiddle with than investment discussions.

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 03:44 AM   #32
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
I vote to add another option. I don't want to ban the discussion of "investments" and I don't love talking about money either. I don't really want to vote for either of yours.
Yeah I loaded the options a bit; I thought it was amusing. In hindsight, I should have just had a "yes" or "no".
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 03:46 AM   #33
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I also prefer if it were more 2008 than 2018 but that doesn’t keep the lights on.

Most topics have been covered, and in 2008 the discussion was more ballbreaking and banter in a respectful manner - which isn’t always the case today. Newer Rolex owners and fans are also more about the marketed culture and associated brands and not the historical and technical subculture.

It’s a tricky balance but there’s lower hanging fruit to fiddle with than investment discussions.

Unfortunately I think you are correct. Impossible to recreate the lightning in a bottle from back in the day probably.
Old 3 July 2018, 03:46 AM   #34
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
I like that my watch retains value, sure.
I just don't like the discussions basing purchase solely on investing and possibly selling.
Buy because you like it and you don't lose money so you feel your money was well spent.
I agree with this.

The most important thing to me in selecting a watch is that I love it. Everything else is secondary but not unimportant. I have to admit, part of the reason I can afford to enjoy this hobby is because I know my money is relatively safe. I'm not a wealthy guy and I don't make a ton of money (relatively speaking).

When my wife and I decided three weeks ago we needed a new fence, I thought to myself, I just came out of my slow season for work, we just had another baby 5 months ago, perhaps instead of going into the bank to pay for the fence (as well as several other home improvements) maybe I'll just sell a watch. I did and got a little more money than I paid for it.

Did I buy that watch cause I thought it'd be a good investment? No. But I'd be lying if I didn't take into consideration how all my watches will hold their value.

The OP says he'd prefer his collection be worth $0. That's quite the statement, frankly one that I will never relate to. The only thing I collect that's worth $0 is my toddlers art work (and even that I throw away about 75% of it, the stuff that sucks lol).
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 03:50 AM   #35
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
If the topic doesn’t interest me, I move on. Against censorship.

Like the majority, I buy watches that I like to wear.

I am generally aware of the values. I trade watches occasionally, so I don’t want to buy a watch with terrible resale.

But I truly enjoy watches and I do not see them as an investment.

We are one recession away from reasonably priced, widely available watches, but I am not looking forward to that.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 03:50 AM   #36
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree with this.

The OP says he'd prefer his collection be worth $0. That's quite the statement, frankly one that I will never relate to. The only thing I collect that's worth $0 is my toddlers art work (and even that I throw away about 75% of it, the stuff that sucks lol).
It's true. I don't care about value at all, if I loved Timex more than Rolex or Patek I would have nothing but Timex. Maybe I'm lucky on that or unlucky depending on how you look at it. I feel for you on the toddler's artwork issue though. My wife and I take photos of everything but only keep about 5%!
Old 3 July 2018, 03:51 AM   #37
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I’m reluctant to ban topics. Totally agree with most existing bans on topics though. But I don’t like to go crazy with controlling dialog.

There are certain topics I have no interest in discussing, so I just avoid reading and replying to those threads. Pretty easy to do. Don’t understand why some people that want a topic banned just because they don’t enjoy discussing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 03:53 AM   #38
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDyl View Post
Unfortunately I think you are correct. Impossible to recreate the lightning in a bottle from back in the day probably.

Totally.

I sometimes read 10yr old threads and love the ballbreaking and lingo. I even wonder how a member from back then finds and survives on the forum today?

Sad to say but many of those threads would’ve been locked today.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 03:53 AM   #39
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Kind of have to agree with you. I don't seriously think there's any way of stopping it. But I am liking the subforum idea here though. It would be an unfettered place to just talk about market conditions all the time, and no old man like me would complain! Maybe it would divert traffic just a bit...
More work for the mods is not going to happen.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 03:55 AM   #40
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
I’m reluctant to ban topics. Totally agree with most existing bans on topics though. But I don’t like to go crazy with controlling dialog.

There are certain topics I have no interest in discussing, so I just avoid reading and replying to those threads. Pretty easy to do. Don’t understand why some people that want a topic banned just because they don’t enjoy discussing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As I stated before. there's actually no way to avoid the cost/price/value discussion anymore. Even topics like "Chonergy escapement physics" somehow devolve into cost/value discussions. I don't seriously believe they can be banned but it sure has gotten old.
Old 3 July 2018, 03:56 AM   #41
Houston77
"TRF" Member

The OP loaded the questions and no is still winning.
Houston77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 03:58 AM   #42
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
It's true. I don't care about value at all, if I loved Timex more than Rolex or Patek I would have nothing but Timex. Maybe I'm lucky on that or unlucky depending on how you look at it. I feel for you on the toddler's artwork issue though. My wife and I take photos of everything but only keep about 5%!
good call on taking the photos! That's the best way to do it.

I admire your position on collecting. I don't know you at all, but I'm gonna take a wild guess that with your outlook, you have more money than me lol.

But even with all the money in the world (and again I don't know you) I feel like part of what creates buzz about certain watches is the demand and appreciation. I think that the buzz/hype subconsciously affects the way we look at and become attracted to certain models. I could be totally off in regards to your perspective and I certainly don't mean to offend you in anyway, but I just think it's natural. It might have affected the decisions you've made in choosing your collection without you even knowing it.

Let me ask you this... If you sold off your collection today would be up or down money?
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 03:58 AM   #43
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Totally.

I sometimes read 10yr old threads and love the ballbreaking and lingo. I even wonder how a member from back then finds and survives on the forum today?

Sad to say but many of those threads would’ve been locked today.
Yep. Just too big a community now to manage in the same way or even have the same feel. However, I think TRF and the TRF mods have done a great job in both managing growth and keeping things civil.
Old 3 July 2018, 04:04 AM   #44
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
To each their own.

I don’t like it when people dictate what I can or can’t do.

So I try not to do it to others.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 04:06 AM   #45
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
good call on taking the photos! That's the best way to do it.

I admire your position on collecting. I don't know you at all, but I'm gonna take a wild guess that with your outlook, you have more money than me lol.

But even with all the money in the world (and again I don't know you) I feel like part of what creates buzz about certain watches is the demand and appreciation. I think that the buzz/hype subconsciously affects the way we look at and become attracted to certain models. I could be totally off in regards to your perspective and I certainly don't mean to offend you in anyway, but I just think it's natural. It might have affect the decisions you've made in choosing your collection without you even knowing it.

Let me ask you this... If you sold off your collection today would be up or down money?
Fair point and I'm not offended in the slightest.

After collecting for 15 years -- and finally stabilizing the collection in the past 5 years after the birth of my daughter -- coincidence? -- I am essentially breakeven.

Also, I don't think scarcity and price are always correlated. The happiest collector I know is totally focused on relatively inexpensive vintage Seiko. It is *all* about the hunt for him and he has an incredible amount of fun with it. Collecting should not be stressful, right? It should be fun.
Old 3 July 2018, 04:12 AM   #46
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
I "The-forum-who-must-not-be-named" .
Now that goes back a long way and water under the bridge now but glad we started TRF. As "The-forum-who-must-not-be-named" once stated TRF would never be a big as "The-forum-who-must-not-be-named".

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 04:15 AM   #47
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Now that goes back a long way and water under the bridge now but glad we started TRF. As "The-forum-who-must-not-be-named" once stated TRF would never be a big as "The-forum-who-must-not-be-named".
Absolutely. Reminds me that way back when Michael Dell once told Steve Jobs he should shut down Apple and sell the stock back to shareholders. Whoops.
Old 3 July 2018, 04:17 AM   #48
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Even I don't invest in watches, I say leave it the way it is.

Timezone used to be popular forum back then but there was much restrictions such as pricing discussions,.., now barely anybody is over there, remind me of living in prior communist countries with lots of censorships and restrictions. No thank you!

Kind of surprised to this post come from a guy with a few hundred posts, check out timezone maybe you like better.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 04:20 AM   #49
zengineer
"TRF" Member

It's easy enough to scroll past them. Banning a topic like watches as an investment just because it's a little foolish is not the same as banning replica watch topics, firearms pictures or nudity. And frankly, some watches are a viable investment.

Investment discussion is more like the "can I shower with my DSSD?" or "my green Submariner the best-est ever watch ever and I need affirmation" threads. Tedious yes...harmful, no.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 04:25 AM   #50
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
Maybe consider a "watch investments / what's this worth" section?
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 04:28 AM   #51
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
You got me there. We should do a second poll...
Cost, nicknames, and where you can wear it! BAN THEM ALL!
Current Collection: Rolex 126619LB, 116710BLNR, and 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster and Planet Ocean 42; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Nomos Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & SuperOcean 44; Doxa 300 Pro Carbon; Stowa Limette; Laco Napa Flieger; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 04:29 AM   #52
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Freedom of speech has rarely been pretty, but it is required to get all points of view. Of course that same freedom allows most of us to find the topic a bore and mention it.
Old 3 July 2018, 04:31 AM   #53
colpol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Just don't click on what you don't like to read. And if you do click, don't comment. And if you do comment, you get what you deserve . . . .
Couldn’t agree more. Just ignore or don’t open
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 04:35 AM   #54
JayAK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LN
Quote:
Just don't click on what you don't like to read. And if you do click, don't comment. And if you do comment, you get what you deserve . . . .
Agreed

I’d advise this over trying to censor topics or speech.

You realize that by creating this thread you are perpetuating the discussion of the topic...
JayAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 04:36 AM   #55
Malibuboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMUUURF

...and that’s my final answer!
Malibuboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 04:37 AM   #56
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
Cost, nicknames, and where you can wear it! BAN THEM ALL!
Nicknames, nicknames, nicknames... no more nicknames, please oh please! While we're at it, can we also ban the "can I wear my submariner with a tuxedo?" posts.
Old 3 July 2018, 04:40 AM   #57
mray6375
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, 116610LV
It’s a bonus if a watch holds its value. That’s not even on my mind when I buy a watch. The only value I care about is how my son will value them when he gets them one day.....
mray6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 04:41 AM   #58
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
I do agree.
However it is sad to see that 99% of the general Rolex discussion forum is filled with value, SS shortage and OCD whining.

Best to just avoid that section altogether maybe.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 04:43 AM   #59
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby T View Post
Well, here's an idea......how about avoiding the threads that overwhelm you rather than not allow discussions on subjects you don't like? Its the same thing as complaining about TV shows and wanting them removed........how about just changing the channel?????
There you go, changing the channel is a good 3rd option foe the poll.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 04:45 AM   #60
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I do agree.
However it is sad to see that 99% of the general Rolex discussion forum is filled with value, SS shortage and OCD whining.

Best to just avoid that section altogether maybe.
You mean the general discussion completely? ;-) Have to thank you directly though for being the originator of a large number of incredibly interesting posts on watchmaking. Wish there were more!