The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 October 2018, 12:59 PM   #31
BevoRolly
"TRF" Member

Just had a great experience at a Santa Monica AD getting my first Rolex. Waiting to get ten posts so I can upload a pic...but very good experience and exceptional service.
BevoRolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 04:36 PM   #32
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
I will break it down to you as gently as I can. With NO previous buying history, you have NO chance. I'm sorry but this would be the case in 99% of scenarios, where the customer wants the hottest reference of the year. How do they know you won't get it and then sell it for £15k?

By the way top lurking! 7 years and then to post! Well done! And welcome!

This is a broken record with first time or small scale buyers wanting the hottest references and then complaining as to why they are shut out.

...and people wonder why AD's dump product to the gray market...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 04:41 PM   #33
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahMan View Post
As you have a pending purchase, it may serve you well, to share your experience with Rolex.
Rolex aren’t interested. Trust me.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 04:41 PM   #34
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
I will break it down to you as gently as I can. With NO previous buying history, you have NO chance. I'm sorry but this would be the case in 99% of scenarios, where the customer wants the hottest reference of the year. How do they know you won't get it and then sell it for £15k?

By the way top lurking! 7 years and then to post! Well done! And welcome!
Spot on
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 04:42 PM   #35
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

its a reflection on the state of the market and the demand. Whenever demand is this high, watches are prioritized to certain customers, so if anything its making the brand even more exclusive which is sort of the point of a luxury good. It doesnt make it any easier when you cant get it, but Rolex and their AD's are selling watches at an astonishing rate and things just are not sitting in display cases currently. That will change as everything is a cycle, but you cant blame AD's at all for making the best use of these watches when they can and they cant always operate this way and are forced to discount. Everyone likes that, but the AD is taking a financial hit doing it and now they dont have to so they dont, and they reward big spending customers.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 04:46 PM   #36
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Making the best use of these watches when times are good??

Flicking to greys?
Bundling?
Marking up from retail?
Etc.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 04:51 PM   #37
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Making the best use of these watches when times are good??

Flicking to greys?
Bundling?
Marking up from retail?
Etc.

its a business. Its amazing how many people don't want it to operate like a business. Reward your biggest customers, simple

My AD doesnt sell to grey, dont bundle, dont mark up.... and they also dont sell to non established customers for an in demand watch ever. They literally sit on it until someone they want to sell it to asks for it. If you count bundling as being a previous customer with lots of purchases then ok.

Its like saying Starbucks is discriminating against first time coffee buyers because people who go in every day get free cups of coffee due to the loyalty program.

AD's who do sell direct to grey's im sort of OK with it. Its the grey's that kept them in business when everyone refused to pay retail so they bought up all the watches in bulk. So why shouldn't they get rewarded? Dont like grey dealers, dont discount shop. They only exist because people wont pay retail and over retail watches are a tiny, tiny part of their sales but they have a platform to do it because of discounts. Alot of the people on AD's WL's will leave AD's as soon as the market turns and go back to buying everything on the secondary market and the AD's are not stupid and are aware of it which is why long term customers who where there before are taken more seriously.

A lot of blame on AD's and Grey dealers and not nearly enough on us. We are the customers and we are the ones that demanded market pricing for our watches which is usually below RRP and we are the ones who created a need for a parallel market in the first place. No customers, no parallel market.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 14 October 2018, 08:13 PM   #38
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

This kinda stuff has certainly tarnished the love of Rolex for me.

I really like the new pepsi and would like to buy one. But it appears in order to own one you have to have Been a continuous revenue stream or cash cow that has been milked for a while or jump through a set of hoops like a performing monkey.
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 08:33 PM   #39
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
It’s a sellers market. I’m way too impatient for waiting lists so Would go grey or pre-owned. So easy.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 08:36 PM   #40
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innocenti View Post
This kinda stuff has certainly tarnished the love of Rolex for me.

I really like the new pepsi and would like to buy one. But it appears in order to own one you have to have Been a continuous revenue stream or cash cow that has been milked for a while or jump through a set of hoops like a performing monkey.
My profile pic might agree with you but you are wrong. Not all AD's are built the same way.

Across the years I have used both grey's and AD's home and abroad. My current AD has sold me three watches which are all in demand SS. Still can't get a ceramic Daytona though - maybe one day.
A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 09:08 PM   #41
Pops1973
Banned

Watch: 116713LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its a reflection on the state of the market and the demand. Whenever demand is this high, watches are prioritized to certain customers, so if anything its making the brand even more exclusive which is sort of the point of a luxury good. It doesnt make it any easier when you cant get it, but Rolex and their AD's are selling watches at an astonishing rate and things just are not sitting in display cases currently. That will change as everything is a cycle, but you cant blame AD's at all for making the best use of these watches when they can and they cant always operate this way and are forced to discount. Everyone likes that, but the AD is taking a financial hit doing it and now they dont have to so they dont, and they reward big spending customers.
Exclusive in your opinion and others that continue to push this theory - Rolex has never been exclusive and never will be as they are everywhere in fact this scarcity in my opinion is making the brand less exclusive as everyone is after one - I wander how many of these people are cash buyers?
and when the bubble bursts they always do no one will want one. I may then get mine.

I don’t follow trends but always buy items that are classic and are of great quality like Rolex which does not always mean exclusive. Eg I live close to Northampton UK and will always buy my shoes from some of the great shoemakers in this city they are great quality expensive but available.

and I hear so many great stories on here about people who have owned a Rolex that was bought when they were young - and the history they have had with the watch - if Rolex continues like this sadly I don’t we will be hearing these in the future.

- I always had the opinion that Rolex was not exclusive enough for me but over time grew to appreciate that they are actually good watches and wish to get one as a daily watch for work etc however I can’t get one as I have no history with the Rolex ad so I am on a list. But they are common I see so many people wearing one - a week doesn’t go by that I don’t see one and I don’t live in a big city.
Pops1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 09:57 PM   #42
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I always enjoy these type of threads because it appears that some people are ready to jump on the band wagon and hammer the AD's and the system. Not that some aspects don't need hammering but don't you have to ask yourself, really. I interact with people in the service industry all the time. From food, clothing, vehicles, home repairs and improvements to my favorite, watches. I get a variety of responses and most of them are good or average. On occasion, I get what I believe is poor service or an attitude from a sales associate or other employee. I do not take this personal, I take it as a short coming of the business. I also determine if it is worth the interaction and time to address it. Most of the time I do address it directly with whoever is failing to conduct themselves in a profession manner. In AD's I will call out incompetent or rude sales people on the spot. No emotion, nor rudeness on my part, just direct feedback to the person I am dealing with. Most times it causes an immediate shift and if it does not I will ask to speak to the manager. Before it is all done, I usually have been able to address my concerns and on occasion I have gotten an item that I was originally told was not available. I think it is like a lot of things in life, deal with it or move on. A better question would be is how bad do you want the watch at retail? If you want it a lot, I would go back in and talk to the salesperson and manager and relationship build and get a clear expectation of the situation. If you are not going to get the watch from them, move on and find an AD that wants your business. No phone calls to local AD's, go in and talk. Good luck on finding your watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 01:03 AM   #43
DahMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
I bought my first Rolex, a Submariner from a Major’s in Miami. I recently visited a few ADs there and will probably never waste my time again. Obviously they have no need for walk in customers.
Bingo, they treat you with disdain. I feel like I somehow insulted them, then I realize ,there insulting me, then , I’m pissed, then, I walk out.
Then I call David SW.....
Guys in Detroit are real good, pro’s. I’ll be back over the holidays, and will pop into my AD, out there, to investigate a shot on the wait list...
DahMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 01:07 AM   #44
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahMan View Post
Bingo, they treat you with disdain. I feel like I somehow insulted them, then I realize ,there insulting me, then , I’m pissed, then, I walk out.
Then I call David SW.....
Guys in Detroit are real good, pro’s. I’ll be back over the holidays, and will pop into my AD, out there, to investigate a shot on the wait list...
some people dont like being told no. I have seen people getting upset myself when they realize having the money to spend doesnt mean they walk out with a watch.

Sure some AD's are rude, but there are a lot of entitled customers who think money is enough for a WL watch at retail, and get pretty upset when they are told nicely "no". Happens all the time. The simple act of not wanting to take someones money = insult to many people.
Old 15 October 2018, 01:09 AM   #45
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its a business. Its amazing how many people don't want it to operate like a business. Reward your biggest customers, simple

My AD doesnt sell to grey, dont bundle, dont mark up.... and they also dont sell to non established customers for an in demand watch ever. They literally sit on it until someone they want to sell it to asks for it. If you count bundling as being a previous customer with lots of purchases then ok.

Its like saying Starbucks is discriminating against first time coffee buyers because people who go in every day get free cups of coffee due to the loyalty program.

AD's who do sell direct to grey's im sort of OK with it. Its the grey's that kept them in business when everyone refused to pay retail so they bought up all the watches in bulk. So why shouldn't they get rewarded? Dont like grey dealers, dont discount shop. They only exist because people wont pay retail and over retail watches are a tiny, tiny part of their sales but they have a platform to do it because of discounts. Alot of the people on AD's WL's will leave AD's as soon as the market turns and go back to buying everything on the secondary market and the AD's are not stupid and are aware of it which is why long term customers who where there before are taken more seriously.

A lot of blame on AD's and Grey dealers and not nearly enough on us. We are the customers and we are the ones that demanded market pricing for our watches which is usually below RRP and we are the ones who created a need for a parallel market in the first place. No customers, no parallel market.
Yep, we should take the bulk of the blame.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 01:14 AM   #46
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I put myself on the list with an AD four years ago for the SS Pepsi knowing it would come out eventually. We laughed each year after Basel when it was not released.Still waiting. No big deal. They have folks who spend far more bucks then I do at their shop.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 01:46 AM   #47
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comex5514 View Post
Hello

Been a member for a long time, well lurker, this is my first post since joining in 2011 !!!

I guess I am shy, never felt the need to express my views until today, left AD feeling very deflated ☹️

Long story short 2008 was a disaster for me, as well as many others, before this I spent approximately £50 with my local AD, over a 8 year period, had to sell all my watches to keep roof over families head, they will always come first. happy to say learnt a lot of lessons and now back on my feet in a even better position, not looking for sympathy get knocked down, you gotta get back up.

Well I know times have changed the watches I desire are now very hard to obtain, it used to be much much easier pre 2008 to buy professional models.

I placed my name on the list for the new Blue/Red jubilee bracelet GMT within 10 minutes of the Basel announcement, went into the store in person, just as well, as I was told they would not take orders over the phone anymore?

A few months ago I called the AD and was told you are now number 3 on the list we have had 6 so far, which I was quite surprised about, plus I was told I was first to order it! So a little annoying, but haven’t bought in a while so just have to suck it up. Don’t worry you will have yours by the end of January, happy days thinks me waited this long few more months won’t matter.

Had to visit apple today near AD so thought I would pop in just to confirm in person what I had been told on the phone, well talk about frosty reception, sorry we don’t give timescales or discuss lists with customers, they made me feel like I had an utter cheek to even show up at the store, boarding on very rude, I asked when was this policy introduced, the reply we had a big Rolex meeting a few weeks ago and thats the protocol now!

I said well it contradicts what I was told a few months ago, when did this BIG meeting take place I enquired, only to be snapped back at WHEN WERE YOU TOLD THIS? I replied before my question was answered roughly 6-7 weeks ago, ‘oh it was about four weeks ago we had the meeting’, sensing my frustration, they assistant then did a complete u turn and stated if that’s what you been told then you’re in a good position, talk about confusing and off putting experience, are Rolex really driving ADs to treat customers like this?

I remember when buying a Rolex was a delightful, exciting and special experience, to be blunt I was treated like something the assistant had stood in today and this only serves to rub off on the brand of Rolex hardly a luxury buying experience to match the luxury product. Seriously considering an alternative watch, Rolex sort your supposed ambassadors of your products out!

Best

Nick

Devils advocate...

They get asked about these watches probably 50 times a day conservatively. They don’t realize they have lost sensitivity from a customers perspective. It is a shame for them as well as they prob want to be selling these 50x a day!a small reminder that we as customers are inquiring about purchasing a 10k plus product would certainly do them some good so they don’t leave

customers like you and I with a bad taste in our mouth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 01:51 AM   #48
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I won't rule out that it's the owner and senior management that told sales people at ADs to behave this way, simply to turn away what they think are not potential ( ie big ) buyers, rightly or wrongly. Like Tyler said, it's a business, they are just finding ways to maximise their returns.

To the OP, no need to get so frustrated. It's just a watch. As you said, explore alternative brands that are readily available. Some are just as nice if not better than Rolex.
Old 15 October 2018, 01:53 AM   #49
Mephist
"TRF" Member

I see many here talking about how they have an excellent relationship with their AD only to post a thread like this some weeks or months later. What everyone should remember is that this is not personal, it is just business. You may think you are number three on the list, but then a bigger fish with deeper pockets comes in and your suddenly number four or five. The AD's are here to make money, not friends. And they will always chose the one with the deepest pockets. If you'r it, they will act as your friend until the bigger fish comes in and then your out in the cold again. Keep this in mind.
Old 15 October 2018, 01:54 AM   #50
EDL7
"TRF" Member

AD's should just put a sign up in every store...something like this..

"Please do not ask for any Rolex Sport watches...don't waste your breath... or ours...we have plenty of Breitlings and Seikos for you though..lol.....but if you want a Rolex...please just go away...and don't let the door hit ya on the way out..in other words..don't go away mad..just go away..."
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 01:59 AM   #51
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I don’t understand this shortage issue. Supply should meet or nearly meet demand. This mess only seems to help flippers and gray dealers.

I would buy an attainable Rolex. I am on an imaginary list for a Daytona, which I expect will only be offered to me in the next recession.

Stay somewhat liquid and prepare for recession. You’ll have your choice of watches, but after a stock market rout and employment haircut, no one will be in the mood to buy a watch.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 01:59 AM   #52
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. View Post
My profile pic might agree with you but you are wrong. Not all AD's are built the same way.

Across the years I have used both grey's and AD's home and abroad. My current AD has sold me three watches which are all in demand SS. Still can't get a ceramic Daytona though - maybe one day.
So after buying 3 in demand stainless watches they still can’t get you a Daytona .
Maybe let them squeeze the udders for a couple of two tone date datejusts and a precious metal watch .
Perhaps wash their windows, take them in sandwiches a couple of times a week, laugh at their jokes, hang around the AD and nod in agreement when they are talking to other customers.
Maybe even a shoe shine?
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 02:03 AM   #53
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

I will also say that I have developed quite the Seiko diver jones. For $200-350, you can pick up a jaunty watch. The aftermarket bracelet and strap choices increase the fun. There, you just saved $7500-10,000.
Old 15 October 2018, 02:07 AM   #54
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Some Seikos (not Rolex level, but one or two digits less)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 15 October 2018, 02:11 AM   #55
DYJ150
"TRF" Member

Name and shame this AD.
DYJ150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 02:27 AM   #56
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

It is interesting to see a thread like this on TRF about every other day.

It is basic supply and demand that we all learned back in Econ 101. If demand is greater than supply, than market price goes up. Anyone can buy a Pepsi or any other Rolex if he is willing to pay "market price".

If we go back a few years ago, in 2009-2011, many ADs went bankrupt because they couldn't pay their bills. Customers who have kept the ADs open over the past 10 years probably are getting the "first dibs" on the hot popular watches. I don't think anyone can blame the ADs. And although it is not discussed as much here, but I would say a large percentage of those who purchase these "hot watches" are flipping them and making a profit. We can all speculate what percentage that is, but we know it is not a small number.

How can an AD know if someone is a flipper or a genuine collector?
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 02:32 AM   #57
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYJ150 View Post
Name and shame this AD.
Wait, 'till you get your GMT.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 03:36 AM   #58
stevebass68
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDL7 View Post
AD's should just put a sign up in every store...something like this..

"Please do not ask for any Rolex Sport watches...don't waste your breath... or ours...we have plenty of Breitlings and Seikos for you though..lol.....but if you want a Rolex...please just go away...and don't let the door hit ya on the way out..in other words..don't go away mad..just go away..."
You don't leave me much hope! Been on list at my local AD for a year..even had one on my wrist at AD.. ..hoping for a SS Sub to celebrate my 50th and retitement from Fire Service in December..I remain slightly hopeful!....or its the grey market for me..lol!
stevebass68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 04:48 AM   #59
T.Mas
"TRF" Member

All ADs are different. You can’t group them all together. Some even forgo the waitlists and just put the models in the display cases for the next customer that saunters in. You never know, you may get lucky.
T.Mas is offline   Reply With Quote