The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 December 2018, 03:04 PM   #31
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
I was inside an elevator on a cruise ship.
I noticed a lady starring at my sub.
After awhile, the lady said to her husband, that's the watch you want ? ... pointing to my sub. I felt a bit awkward.

---------------------

A few years ago, I was walking around in Beijing.
A stranger comes up to me saying "Nice fake Rolex" ... I can sell you a better fake for $500US
I said no thanks ... one fake is enough for me.
ROLEXster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 03:45 PM   #32
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Experiences will vary.
From time to time I have been surprised as to who has noticed and subsequently commented. Mostly they make no comment.
Sometimes I don't notice they've noticed.
Mostly it's a pleasant surprise which leads to honest discussion.
The last time was last weekend at a casual dinner party. The way it unfolded was somewhat funny but a little embarrasing as well.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 05:42 PM   #33
dreyep
Banned

Watch: 114270, 16570
Mine's only ever been remarked upon once, partly because I live in what is for the UK the middle of nowhere.

I was at WOMAD music festival near Malmesbury earlier this year and took a shower at first light, to beat the queues. Took my watch off, hung it up on the clothes hook in the tiny cubicle, had my shower, then strolled off. Another guy was waiting for his turn at some distance and went straight in. About 20 yards from the shower I thought, damn, my watch. Turned round and ran back to the shower. The guy had just stepped inside. I mumbled something and he reached up, then turned and handed me the watch. "Here's your Rolex," he said, and shut the door.
dreyep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 05:44 PM   #34
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Everyone notices. You just don't notice.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 06:51 PM   #35
Sportwatchmania
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Can't really remember if stranger comment on my watches ever besides you end up talking about it once you started chit chatting with a stranger.

But i remember this little funny story.
Walking around in Egypte in a little shopping street where they sell all those fake watches and bags. Me wearing my SubC and my girl her TT DJ. We always go in for fun to see how bad those fakes are made. Sales man walked up to me and said thats a well made fake Rolex, I'm a professional I can see that immediately. I said your a poor professional. You should have seen his face, he clearly didn't know what to think.

116610LN - 116710BLNR - 116500LN White - 116500LN Black

Instagram: @sportwatchmania https://instagram.com/sportwatchmania/
Sportwatchmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 10:28 PM   #36
Golden Ellipse
2024 Pledge Member

If you pick the right one, the NPV will be massively in your favor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
If you want to get noticed, walk around with a beautiful woman on your arm.

It would not be politically correct for me to comment on relative cost however ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Golden Ellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 11:06 PM   #37
HogwldFLTR
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too many to list!
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebo View Post
Had my BLNR 18 months now and love it, wear it every day. Although I've stopped thinking about it mostly, its just "my watch".

Was at a casual bar/restaurant in Sydney last week and as the waiter delivered drinks he just quietly said "nice watch" and was gone, it even took me a few moments to process what he'd said.

I still remember feeling self conscious walking out of the AD in a not-wealthy part of the UK, I felt like everyone could see it and I would be mugged at any minute. Now I realise almost no-one notices our Rolexes, apart from other fans and really they're just for us, not to show off.
A young friend who is also a bartender at the local watering hole is one of the few local Rolex fans I know. Even while he was in school he would always admire one or another of my watches even commenting how they remind him of his father's collection. Many in service positions are in transition and will be the future of Rolex collecting. Never underestimate folks in those positions!!! My friend's degree is in international business. He' a bright, handsome (the older ladies at the restaurant refer to him as eye candy) guy with a bright future.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 01:31 AM   #38
Deep18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I tend to notice if it’s a Rolex, Breitling or Omega but most people won’t notice anything unless it’s yellow or rose gold and even then they don’t know what it is, just that it’s different than most of the other watches they see.
Deep18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 03:29 AM   #39
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Back in the 90's my wife and I went on a vacation to Italy and spent a few days in Venice. We were both wearing our Rolexes. The hotel desk clerk must have been paid a few Lira to look for Rolex watches. He complimented us and later that day were invited to take a private boat taxi to Murano to (hopefully) buy some glass. We didn't buy anything and had to take a vaporetto back to our hotel! The boat ride was great.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 03:31 AM   #40
Scapegoat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pro
Everyone here in SIN has a rolex. Nothing worth to point out here.
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 03:39 AM   #41
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Do people want their watches to be noticed? I dislike the idea.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 03:40 AM   #42
640alex
"TRF" Member

My Rolex GMT has only been noticed once and it was a family a member who noticed. My Tudor GMT has gotten noticed at least 10 times since I’ve owned it. What’s funny is my SKX always gets noticed and half of the compliments are “nice Rolex”.
640alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 03:51 AM   #43
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Everyone notices. You just don't notice.
Spot on.

Just because people don’t say anything doesn’t mean they don’t notice. And rarely do people say anything.
Old 2 December 2018, 04:05 AM   #44
OneMoreSi
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD,Explorer,GMT
At least he didn't have the audacity to ask "is it real"?
OneMoreSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 04:06 AM   #45
mas12
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I’ve had my 116610LN (first Rolex) for about a month now and the only person who has said anything is my mother in law - “oh, now that’s new!”. She was happy for me when I bought my first luxury watch (Breitling SO Heritage) a few years so she was prob surprised to see a new one so soon.

BUT, as others have said she’s the only one who has said something. I’ve definitely noticed coworkers, clients look at my wrist briefly when I’m talking. The shine of the ceramic bezel and non AR crystal make it stand out... the cyclops gives it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolex SubC 116610LN
mas12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 04:15 AM   #46
Seaborn
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcentaur View Post
True story. I stepped into a G-Shock store months ago shopping for a birthday gift to a relative, and the young salesman noticed my Subc. He complimented it and asked me how much those things went for these days so I casually told him. His jaw dropped in disbelief. He obviously had limited knowledge as a very young guy about luxury watches, so I told him someday he would surely get one for himself. He smiled and handed me the watch I bought. It was then that I handed him my watch so he could try it on, which he gladly did. The glow in his eyes convinced me I was looking at a future WIS. Glad I did because there aren’t a lot of us out in the wild anymore, no thanks to the advent of ‘wearables’.
Awesome story
Seaborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 04:17 AM   #47
Jojoshop
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
I assume the watch gets noticed by WIS but not made a comment on. I notice watches but don't comment on them unless there is some type of a discussion going on already.

A few weeks ago I took my son to a podiatrist doctor here and doctor was wearing a BLNR. My 7 year old son asked him: 'Is your watch a Batman? My dad has one.' which the doctor missed completely. I think he was a non-WIS doc who just happened to own a nice BLNR. The doctor, trying to take attention away from his Rolex, nicely replied: 'no, this is a boring watch, just tells the time!' He thought my son was talking about some Apple watch or something.
Second that; my son doesn’t know what Rolex is but surely knows my Batman. H ora recognize it in videos pretty well. He also made it super clear to me he will be taking the watch when he grows up since he is the Batman at home.and his brother will take the blro since he is Superman
Jojoshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 06:40 AM   #48
wBrah
"TRF" Member

I always try to spot a Rolex in the wild.
wBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 06:51 AM   #49
csfischer20
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD36
I always notice watches that people wear. They rarely notice mine. Most people aren’t watch people though. My Bell & Ross Horizon gets noticed and commented on a lot more than my sub.
csfischer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 06:54 AM   #50
Tonyfsu21
Banned

In a local sub sandwich shop I was waiting in line and the guy behind me in line said “is that the smurf?, I’ve never seen one before” and grabbed my arm to get a closer look. Awkward invasion of space. That’s the only time anyone has ever noticed.
Tonyfsu21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 08:46 AM   #51
ostatedchi
"TRF" Member

I was sitting in the Tulsa airport awaiting my flight and noticed two other older gentlemen wearing two tone DateJusts that matched mine. I didn't say anything but really wanted to compliment them.
ostatedchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 08:57 AM   #52
NeoAnderson
"TRF" Member

I was on holiday and went for a water activity and the guide told me to take off my watch unless it has a good depth rating. Mind you I have a sd4k.
NeoAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 10:22 AM   #53
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
True story. I stepped into a G-Shock store months ago shopping for a birthday gift to a relative, and the young salesman noticed my Subc. He complimented it and asked me how much those things went for these days so I casually told him. His jaw dropped in disbelief. He obviously had limited knowledge as a very young guy about luxury watches, so I told him someday he would surely get one for himself. He smiled and handed me the watch I bought. It was then that I handed him my watch so he could try it on, which he gladly did. The glow in his eyes convinced me I was looking at a future WIS. Glad I did because there aren’t a lot of us out in the wild anymore, no thanks to the advent of ‘wearables’.
Awesome
Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 11:57 AM   #54
DenaliHD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor GMT
Car dealerships and high end watch stores notice! I was in shorts and a polo and stopped into a Patek AD, first thing I noticed was the watch glance. Was wearing my D-Blue. I find that a nice watch buys you "street cred" with luxury retailers.
DenaliHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 12:33 PM   #55
blackhawks-fan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black Dial 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
Do people want their watches to be noticed? I dislike the idea.
I'm with you. Fortunately my Rolex doesn't look like a Rolex to non WIS types.
blackhawks-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 12:50 PM   #56
frankfrazetta
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutats View Post
Well, you know you have to tip him big then. lol

The first time any stranger ever noticed the 116710BLNR I was wearing he tried to mug me in broad daylight. It such is a multifaceted city and I am grateful for it.
Ok. Really? You are greatful you live in a city where you like the person who is trying to steal your watch? That seems odd to me.
frankfrazetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 01:16 PM   #57
J_1964
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfrazetta View Post
Ok. Really? You are greatful you live in a city where you like the person who is trying to steal your watch? That seems odd to me.
I think those were two separate thoughts? Although it was an odd way to put it.
J_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 01:19 PM   #58
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Great story.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 01:46 PM   #59
Mystro
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

My CHNR got noticed 6 hours after I took delivery by a some college guys and their girlfriends in line at a coffee shop. They commented my “Rollie was a Baller” to their girlfriends. After that I have had several comments from all age groups. Never had so many with any other watch in such a short amount of ownership. I think the Everose gold catches the eye and is more interesting??
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 03:57 PM   #60
BigBallerBrand
Banned

Owned a Bluesy for only 2 months and I only wear on wkends...got compliments (and also judgemental comments about what a douche I am) almost every wkend from friends and strangers alike. Too much attention imo and wish I got black or green dial as Bluesy is way more flashy as I predicted it would be. Still love my watch tho. Will try to get black dial in a few years in Europe if supply ever catches up
BigBallerBrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116710blnr , compliment