The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 April 2019, 03:59 AM   #31
Anton911
Banned

Watch: Daytona,hulk
This happened to me when I was out one evening and unfortunately lost a very sentimental bluesey which was never found or returned.A painful experience I must say.
These days I always run my fingers around the sides of the bracelet to check if any pins are protruding or have come undone!
Anton911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 04:00 AM   #32
WIS_Chronomaster2019
"TRF" Member

Thats bad.
WIS_Chronomaster2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 04:30 AM   #33
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

Having a similar near accident with my Hulk, I strongly recommend the use of Loctite (e.g., 222). There is no amount of screw tightening that will ensure it will not come loose at some point. Ever noticed why it is difficult to unscrew the links on a brand new Rolex. It is because temporary glue had been applied by Rolex to begin with. Even Rolex sizing kits come with Loctite. Hope this helps.
danicasi2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 04:33 AM   #34
LuxLemon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton911 View Post
This happened to me when I was out one evening and unfortunately lost a very sentimental bluesey which was never found or returned.A painful experience I must say.
These days I always run my fingers around the sides of the bracelet to check if any pins are protruding or have come undone!
Oh man - so sorry to hear that.
LuxLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 04:34 AM   #35
LuxLemon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by danicasi2002 View Post
Having a similar near accident with my Hulk, I strongly recommend the use of Loctite (e.g., 222). There is no amount of screw tightening that will ensure it will not come loose at some point. Ever noticed why it is difficult to unscrew the links on a brand new Rolex. It is because temporary glue had been applied by Rolex to begin with. Even Rolex sizing kits come with Loctite. Hope this helps.
Yes thank you so much. Glad you came away unscathed with the hulk. Will be impementing multiple precautions moving forward.

GADA tool status pending updates ... haha
LuxLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 04:37 AM   #36
Dennisoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
I do my own sizing, and use loctite 222 purple only on the thread though.....I don’t trust ADs to do it properly or leave the screw heads in decent condition......the fantastic news is you caught it before it happened outside...there’s loads of great advice on here to help you do it yourself if you fancy going down that route.
Dennisoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 04:45 AM   #37
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxLemon View Post
. . .
While I’m at it (and going to the AD in the meantime) - when it was sized I have four links on one side of the bracelet and 7 on the other side. Is this common? I would have anticipated 5 and 6 respectively but maybe this was done to mitigate the effects of desk diving?
There should always be fewer links on the 6 side, at a number that makes the watch comfortable to you. Your watch doesn't know how to count, wear it so it fits.
Old 7 April 2019, 04:48 AM   #38
joli160
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
There is a reason all Rolex bracelet seizing kits come with loctite
Old 7 April 2019, 04:56 AM   #39
BlakeA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
OP, don’t take it to the AD, just do it yourself. That way you know it’s done correctly.

IIRC, all you need is a 1.6mm Bergeon style screwdriver. If you’re really worried about scratching your bracelet, just put a small piece of clear tape over the screw and the screwdriver will cut through the tape allowing you to tighten down the screw but protect everything else around the area.
Not sure what size screws are on the BNLR, but on my Sub, they are 1.6mm and I did buy the Bergeron driver and had to grind it down to fit correctly. I should have bought this one...
https://thewatchprince.com/1-60-scre...erai-flat-tip/
BlakeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 05:08 AM   #40
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Just a public service reminder that prior to removing screws run the bracelet under medium hot water for 3-5 minutes. Will expand the metal, loosen existing loctite, save your screwheads, and make life generally better.
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 06:29 AM   #41
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Have never actually came across this before. Would have though that as the screw worked loose, the screw head would have become visible highlighting a potential problem before the threads actually disengaged causing the link to fail?
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 06:53 AM   #42
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafer_kid View Post
Have never actually came across this before. Would have though that as the screw worked loose, the screw head would have become visible highlighting a potential problem before the threads actually disengaged causing the link to fail?
That's was the situation in my case.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 09:57 PM   #43
Little machines
"TRF" Member

It happens just check . Many moving parts with these watches and its happened to me twice but i caught it before it detached.
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 11:04 PM   #44
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

What the ffff - new Rolex bracelet detached

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxLemon View Post

While I’m at it (and going to the AD in the meantime) - when it was sized I have four links on one side of the bracelet and 7 on the other side. Is this common? I would have anticipated 5 and 6 respectively but maybe this was done to mitigate the effects of desk diving?

Your lower arm dictates the correct number of links. Each of us have different shaped wrists.

But there is one thing that is true for all of us - dissimilar wrist dimensions on the ulna side vs. the radius side. There is a tendon that parallels the ulna which (when flexed as you make a fist) causes that side to be thicker than the radius side.

It is the reason the 12 o’clock side of a bracelet usually ends up with more links than the 6 o’clock side. But that is a generalization - the clasp’s wider blade (the one that contacts your skin) should be centered when the bracelet is properly sized.

On a side note, that AD might not be the best one to rectify your loose screw. After all wasn’t it that AD who sized it when you bought it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote