The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 December 2019, 01:04 AM   #31
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespeach View Post
Love it.
Even with millions of Rolex watches out there I rarely see one on a wrist in the wild. Kinda like that I have watches that not everyone else has. Only bad thing is the hunt, which subconsciously I must like as it drives me to get additional watches I would have otherwise not gotten.
When I walk around my local Sainsburys in a small city I usually see 4 or 5 they really are as common as muck.
Old 1 December 2019, 01:16 AM   #32
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Lol!

I have a running bet with my collector buddies how long until we finally see a thread comparing the 3235 vs 3135....a few years in so far with nothing
You mean like this one?
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...highlight=3235
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 01:17 AM   #33
Luther89
Banned

Quote:
If you’ve been here since the start like Peter you’ve seen the downhill trends in forum posts. I’ve been a reader since the start, poster more recent years, collector always. We went from what is the difference between the Nivarox and Parachrom to hey my watch is kind of cool but how many other people think my watch has enough wrist presence and I was 2nd on the list I swear my AD screwed me posts to how much money can I make on this investment posts.

You’ve been here 3 months, I think you need to give it some more time before you know the ins and outs of the forum and moderators lol
I don’t ‘need’ to be here any time at all thank you. I have my opinion and it seems a lot of others share it. Thanks anyway for the attempt at being patronising
Luther89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 01:18 AM   #34
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
First world problems over a luxury item no one really "needs"
That's right.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 01:18 AM   #35
Rosex
"TRF" Member

its great fun when you get that hard to find watch at msrp. Not fun when you don't. So I have been lucky and enjoy the hunt.
Rosex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 01:23 AM   #36
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Fortunate to have gotten into collecting Rolex 30 years ago, would not want to be starting out now given the current climate.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 01:24 AM   #37
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther89 View Post
I don’t ‘need’ to be here any time at all thank you. I have my opinion and it seems a lot of others share it. Thanks anyway for the attempt at being patronising
I’ve seen you post similar on multiple threads in the last few days. Towards a moderator nonetheless.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 01:24 AM   #38
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Macdermott View Post
When I walk around my local Sainsburys in a small city I usually see 4 or 5 they really are as common as muck.
Oh glad finally one as of 11/20/2019 lol I was exaggerating a bit but you get the point.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 01:26 AM   #39
replicator
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP
The pursuit is part of the fun tbh.

Have to find ways to be resourceful to get what you want, like all things in life.
replicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 01:34 AM   #40
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I get the feeling that it really doesn't matter that they are watches to some "collectors". If certain belt buckles were hard to get, they would chase them.

Neither my life nor livelihood is reliant on a watch so it doesn’t matter to me. There is no chase. There is no complaining.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 01:42 AM   #41
rom33
2024 Pledge Member

Doesn't it depend on where you are in life?

If I were in my twenties or thirties I may feel comfortable to wait years for a watch.

Of all the watches I've bought I remember most (almost 40 years ago) buying a Datejust and being offered 10% off and 0% interest for 10 months. There was no waiting.

But for my son't graduation from graduate school I can't get him the watch he wants. For my grandfather's 80th birthday or for my 30 year wedding anniversary can't get a watch.

I have now been waiting two years for a Daytona.....wanting a Rolex has become boring.
rom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 01:47 AM   #42
shawn13ca
"TRF" Member

Nope for me. I find it so stupid it's not even funny. I find it extremely damaging in the long run. You have a generation, the millenials, that don't even know what a watch is useful for. They have less disposable income than their parents and if by chance they see an ad from Rolex and they get interested in a sport model… Then they have the chance to get laughed at by an AD who don't have sport models to sell! So this millenial quickly forget his Rolex envy. Ask Harley-Davidson what it does on the long run to play this little "hard to get and too expensive" game… And it's just the beginning, for Harley as well as Rolex. They should do something real quick about it.
shawn13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 01:52 AM   #43
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex SS Rare and Hard to Get - Fun?

I do find the chase fun and have had good success getting the models that I want. On the other hand, it is frustrating that it’s impossible to plan a purchase for a gift or a life event. For most big purchases, you plan ahead. With Rolex, you have to drop several thousand dollars the minute your AD calls. I know I’ve had a couple of “conversations” with my wife about why I bought a Rolex on a random Wednesday. She sort of understands that I can’t not buy a Daytona when offered.
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 02:07 AM   #44
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Good for you to be a half full kind of guy, life is so much easier if you are, and if you are new to the scene then you can accept this is just the status quo but if you were around before the hype then all this scrambling, like a permanent Black Friday, is all very off-putting, esp for a modern day mass produced SS Rolex.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 02:07 AM   #45
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I have mixed feelings about it. I can ask for something and expect to get it. It was kind of cool to get “the call” in 7 months for the BLRO and 9 months for the Daytona bu t it must be incredibly frustrating to a newcomer who is always told no way.
Some models always have been and will continue to be hard to get but I think continued empty cases will hurt the company in the long run.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 02:57 AM   #46
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

It's totally fun when you can get whatever you want with perhaps a little bit of chase and knowing everyone else can't get what you have.

But not fun for those who don't even have chance to get one of their dream watches (EVER) without paying 2x. Then the game is not fun
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 03:01 AM   #47
Jabbo84
Banned

Watch: Rolex/Piaget
I love the challenge of hard to get things like watches, women, and cars. If things were easy to get in life like an Omega Speedmaster life wouldn’t be any fun.
Jabbo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 03:08 AM   #48
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
I find the hunt annoying since the watch isn't rare, or even scarce. Only at AD MSRP are they hard to get. To me they aren't worth "market price" and I'd rather do without at that point.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 03:13 AM   #49
noshake
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespeach View Post
Love it.
Even with millions of Rolex watches out there I rarely see one on a wrist in the wild. Kinda like that I have watches that not everyone else has. Only bad thing is the hunt, which subconsciously I must like as it drives me to get additional watches I would have otherwise not gotten.
I agree I wrist watch all the time and have seen less then 10 Rolex in 3 years. Only 3 Subs in fact. I dont get how people say their common. I feel fortunate to be able to purchase a Rolex, because i know many people cant.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
noshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 03:13 AM   #50
noshake
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesnyder View Post
Anybody else enjoying the fact that particular Rolex's are hard to get? I see people complaining and threatening to not purchase any more Rolex but anybody else out there enjoy it? I like the fact that they are hard to get and that you can get on a waiting list with no idea if it will be available net week or next year! Turns the procurement process into a game. Anybody can just walk into the store and just buy it, but when you have to plan ahead to get one make ownership that much more enjoyable.

Always been a half full guy, but what do you think?
I like the chase makes it fun.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
noshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 03:19 AM   #51
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
I think this thread alone separates the two camps: watch enthusiasts vs watch aquirers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 03:20 AM   #52
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Quote:
If you’ve been here since the start like Peter you’ve seen the downhill trends in forum posts. I’ve been a reader since the start, poster more recent years, collector always. We went from what is the difference between the Nivarox and Parachrom to hey my watch is kind of cool but how many other people think my watch has enough wrist presence and I was 2nd on the list I swear my AD screwed me posts to how much money can I make on this investment posts.

You’ve been here 3 months, I think you need to give it some more time before you know the ins and outs of the forum and moderators lol
+1

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 03:29 AM   #53
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:

X2, well said.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 03:34 AM   #54
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
As long as you are not in dire need and can't wait to get the particular model it can be fun, but it sucks when you really really want it to mark a special occasion and can't get it.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Rolextellstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 03:36 AM   #55
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathducks123 View Post
Mate, they aren’t hard to get. Greys could easily source (BNIB/unworn) SS models that you need for a premium at their discretion.
Great point. "Hard to get at retail" says it better.

Posts here show lots of SS models in abundance, if you are willing to go grey and pay the piper.

How bad do you want it? Many pay the premium and are happy to wear the watch within days.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 03:41 AM   #56
minhc88
"TRF" Member

alot of people complain about not being able to get that SS sub and being on a long waiting list. But, I think if they were readily available then half of the people that want them wouldn't have the guts to buy it on the spot. They would then want a big discount and complain about something else.
Point is there's always someone complaining but when it comes to putting your money where your mouth is, people will back down. 9k for a watch is no joke for us working middle class with a family to support.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
minhc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 03:53 AM   #57
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
No it is aggravating I gave up and started paying premiums. Not rare they are just sold out back door and to super vips from most ADs. My local gray dealer has had 4 blnrs new in the last week , 3 Daytona several
Hulks , Sea dwellers and green face Daytona’s so defiantly not rare. I understand this now. I didn’t in the beginning.
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 04:06 AM   #58
mr. rpm
"TRF" Member

If all the models were simple to get they wouldn’t hold their values as well as they do....if you walked out of the shop and they were worth half or less the hoopla would be over and you would not see near the interest in these watches and not nearly so many new people interested in all of this....I agree 100% with OP
mr. rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 04:08 AM   #59
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

It is very clear what the market prefers.

Brands that offer exclusivity (or the perception of) and the subsequent value retention that entails are DOMINANT. It really isn't even close.

Rolex is certainly well in that class and the majority of people seem to prefer it.

This can be seen when in high end shopping areas with multiple brands represented.

The "empty" Rolex AD and "Boutiques" are brimming with customers clamoring over what they can get. ROLEX Please!!!

The "Full" stores of the "other" guys are absolutely brimming with product, but are populated only with employees waiting for closing time and hoping they can beat the traffic.

I personally was concerned about 4yrs ago or so that Rolex march up the luxury ladder and their ubiquitous selection in AD's were not a good fit....maybe even a bit BORING...except for the Daytona, every dealer had every watch...zzzzz

Back then Panerai was so interesting and HAWT because you never knew what the AD would have. Now that they make 10,000,000,000 different references, those days are over and so are their sales...their watches are better than ever, but if it's consistently available? No thanks says the market.

Now, of course this could all change one day and ubiquity could supplant exclusivity in the luxury lexicon....I doubt it, but who knows???
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 04:15 AM   #60
LandWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Macdermott View Post
Yes, totally agree. Saw 6 in the gym this morning, including my own. Not at all rare, just regular watches.
LandWatch is offline   Reply With Quote