The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 January 2020, 10:49 AM   #31
tech114
"TRF" Member

well I don't know about the relationship apart from personal.
Only way to get "close" with AD is by $ and lots of $$$. That's all.
tech114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 11:01 AM   #32
wesleyvs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Panerai & PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago32 View Post
I bought my DJ preowned because it was priced well below MSRP in mint condition.

With the models I mentioned they are all selling at above MSRP preowned or grey. It would not sit well with me to know that I purchased above MSRP. I feel like it’s just throwing away money. I’d rather wait and enjoy buying them at MSRP from a dealer as they come even if it takes a lot longer. Like I said, I’m viewing this as a journey.

Having said that, if one of these pieces do popup at or under MSRP preowned/grey. I will def consider. But that is unlikely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Below the msrp of back then from the year the watch was from or below the current (dj40) msrp ...? ;)

Your list is the list everyone wants these days and they will be very hard to get.... go grey, saves you time and money in the end.

wesleyvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 11:03 AM   #33
Special-K7
"TRF" Member

Honestly, by the time you spend your disposable income on jewelry and other pieces that you probably do not necessarily want you could buy the watches you do want on the gray market.
Special-K7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 11:12 AM   #34
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
How about that a--hole works to create a relationship with YOU the customer. Tell them to piss off and find an AD who wants your business and respects you as a person and customer.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 11:31 AM   #35
calh22a
Banned

Do you travel for work often or have another area you visit often? It’s going to be a lot easier if you target a smaller AD in a smaller market if you really want all those pieces at MSRP. I’m not sure you’ll get very far with a big chain in a city like LA
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 11:41 AM   #36
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calh22a View Post
Do you travel for work often or have another area you visit often? It’s going to be a lot easier if you target a smaller AD in a smaller market if you really want all those pieces at MSRP. I’m not sure you’ll get very far with a big chain in a city like LA

Actually I called a boutique in Palm Desert and they were super friendly. They said chances are slim but put me on a list for the two subs. Im traveling soon to south Florida. I will also be checking out a few ADs there.

Old 9 January 2020, 01:42 PM   #37
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

There are some great ADs in the LA area. PM'ed you some info. Better to stick with a smaller one, but none in this area will be easy to get all 4 of your requested pieces.
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 01:50 PM   #38
biscotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Good luck, OP....all of the watches on your list are in high demand.
biscotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 01:55 PM   #39
joli160
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Just to be honest. No chance because of the points you mentioned your self already.
Old 9 January 2020, 01:56 PM   #40
Driftwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Bring them donuts every Friday that should do it!
Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 02:15 PM   #41
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

$50k in non-rolex and jewelry = sub purchase

another $50k in non-rolex and jewelry = hulk or batman

another $50k-$100k in non-rolex and jewelry = daytona list
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 02:17 PM   #42
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjez14 View Post
I tried this it didn’t work well at all. After 75-80k I didn’t get one hard to acquire piece. Your better off buying gray or finding a smaller Ad. Oh and also buy some diamonds your chances will be much better with that

I currently buy my jewelry from Blue Nile and I don’t mind changing that but this is what I’m afraid of. They will jerk me around and sell me on tons of stuff without selling me a piece on my list

Old 9 January 2020, 02:18 PM   #43
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Without meaning to sound rude, if that is your shopping list you’re not a unique/desirable prospective client. You’re one of thousands of people with the exact same ‘flippers list’ (whether or not that’s your plan, that’s how it will invariably come across to a SA) and they don’t need another ‘relationship’ to sell these watches.

As others have said, you need to add other brands and/or jewellery to your list otherwise you’re likely ending up in the “here comes another one” category.

No worries - totally understand. These are pieces I want to buy and wear daily along with my DJ.

Old 9 January 2020, 03:07 PM   #44
shawn13ca
"TRF" Member

Don't bother with ADs. It's a sucker's game nowadays. I am too proud to beg somebody to do business with me. I bought Grand Seiko twice, and boy are those watches better! I'll buy Panerai before another Rolex unless the ADs wants to treat me right. And I am so waiting for the next recession...
shawn13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 04:57 PM   #45
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post

If that’s true. Grey/preowned is def the way to go
Old 9 January 2020, 05:35 PM   #46
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
If you bought your DJ at retail from ben bridge it wouldn't be too difficult to get the Black Sub, I know this and have dealt with them, but you didn't so just like the countless other threads with folks asking how do I buy a hot SS piece, it's just not going to realistically happen.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 05:45 PM   #47
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
In reality it is unlikely to happen for you, building a relationship right now is very tough as you have little to offer.

You, like many others, didn’t buy your DJ from an AD because you were able to get it well below MRSP. This is understandable, but it is also one of the reasons you don’t have a relationship with an AD. In my experience, AD’s remember those that bought from them when it was cheaper to go grey or used, and they now largely repay that loyalty.

Popping in frequently to say hi and generally catch up is unlikely to work, even at a boutique store. I do it with my local AD but I do it because I genuinely enjoy chatting to them and geeking-out about watches for an hour. I didn’t do it to deliberately build a relationship with them because when I started doing this, the market wasn’t crazy like it is now. Trying to do it now might be a bit transparent.

Imagine your local AD is mine, and you go in with no purchase history and try to start brokering that relationship. I’ve been shopping at that same AD for the last ten years, I’ve bought nine watches (including PM) from them, my wife’s engagement and wedding rings, and nice jewellery (that they pick for me these days because they know what my wife has) for my wife every birthday and Christmas. And I pop in to see them every couple of months. And, I’m nowhere near their best customer. With the greatest will in the world, you’re unlikely to get priority.

This may sound bad and I don’t mean it to, but it is the likely reality.

However, funny things can happen and things do change. My advice would be to start by changing your ‘want’ list. You’ve picked all high demand and hard to get models, and you don’t want to pay over MRSP, so it ain’t gonna happen and you’re going to be stuck with one watch.

Part of the joy of collecting is learning and upgrading along the way. That doesn’t mean buying watches you don’t like and don’t want just to build a relationship, but there are always alternatives.

Let’s assume your AD stocks Tudor. I’d challenge anyone not to like one of the Black Bay 58, the bronze Black Bay, or the Pelagos. They are great watches that you can enjoy and may never sell, and if you do, you will take a relatively minor financial hit. You may have to get on a list for these, but it is a short list and it demonstrates some commitment.

If you have a significant other then buy her a ladies Oyster Perpetual. Lovely gift, will make her more understanding of your hobby, it’s ready to get, and gives you purchase history.

If your AD sells jewellery, buy all your jewellery from them, even if there is better choice or better pricing elsewhere. There are no guarantees, but it’s a good path to go down.

And finally, do this at a boutique and not a big store. The people at a boutique are more likely to be there for the long term. And speak to everyone when you go in there, not just one person, otherwise if they leave you’re stuffed. I have two main guys I deal with but I speak with them all, even the security guard on the door knows my name these days.

Probably not what you want to hear, and many will go against this, but if you’re serious about this, then I strongly suggest that you listen to those of us who get the hard-to-get pieces, it’s not by chance (and in my case, it’s certainly not because of deep pockets).

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 05:47 PM   #48
chriswang0130
"TRF" Member

I think to “collect” everything on your wish list, it would be much much easier and money saving to go grey. Which means dont waste your time and money to build relationships with AD.

♛ Deepsea JC2 126660
♛ Milgauss Black Dial 116400GV
♛ GMT Master II 126710BLNR
chriswang0130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 11:18 PM   #49
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Actually I called a boutique in Palm Desert and they were super friendly. They said chances are slim but put me on a list for the two subs. Im traveling soon to south Florida. I will also be checking out a few ADs there.

If your destination is in the Miami area I can save you the time and trouble.
There's 3 Rolex ADs and one Boutique. There's actually 2 ADS in one mall. All are frequented by people with unlimited funds. Unless you're in that category your chances are 0.00. You will be frowned upon going in with an exclusive list of hot SS pieces. Go to the Bal Harbor mall for the scenery, people watching, car watching and great restaurants but don't go into either Rolex store unless you plan to buy 3 or 4 other stock watches!

You can go a little north and might have better luck(you can PM me if you want) but you will need to build trust over time as an out of towner. That means starting off small and working your way up. You're not getting a hot SS piece as your first purchase. I would wait till you have a NEED for a piece of jewelry or a watch sitting in the case for you or a family member. Then stay loyal to wherever you decide to start your journey.

The AD business is no different than the contracting business during construction booms. When I was in the contracting business we would have more work then men to do the work. So who do you think got their jobs done first? The guys that gave me the most business and paid their bills, not the Tom, Dick & Harrys off the street with a set of blueprints in their hands. PLUS the guys I knew who would still be customers after the boom got VIP service. ADs are not dumb they know the frenzy will end one day and they look at who will still be a good customer after the frenzy. Those are the people getting on a real list and getting the hot watches.

Just like I tell restaurant owners down here that when I want a table I expect them to go out of their way to provide one within reason because I'm the guy that will be in their restaurant every week or multiple times a week after the high season and the tourists go home. I'm the guy who pays the bills during the 6-7 months of slow time.

No different in the watch business or any business for that matter.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 11:29 PM   #50
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

As you know, OP, the watches you want are in high demand.
You will either need to be very lucky or spend a lot of money in their stores.

Bottom line you are going to have to “kiss their arse”. If that is OK with you, go ahead and do it. Perhaps the means justifies the ends (no pun intended).

Personally, and this is just me, I refuse this way. That of course means that I am limited to what I can buy at an AD, like DJ’s. If you want a hot model now, you can have it tomorrow. Just get in touch with DavidSW or one of the other trusted resellers on this forum.

Good luck.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 11:32 PM   #51
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

I want to just say like I understand this will take years to build this collection

Here is the collection I want:

Submariner Black (116610LN)
Submariner Hulk (116610LV)
Daytona Panda (116500LN)
GMT Batman (126710BLNR)

Any advice/recommendations is appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Why would you limit yourself to a single resource when you want to take years to acquire 4 of the least AD available items?

Sorry I really do not understand?

If you want a "relationship" perhaps a dating app with some dinner and wine?
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 12:27 AM   #52
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

As u read on this forum there are instances of zero relationship and getting lucky with Daytona so it is possible

But then u also have a chance of winning lottery too

Bottom line unless you're willing to drop serious cash (6 figures) on non-Rolex or PM non sports Rolex or jewelry ...you're out of luck for the watches you want.

Sorry. Just reality of the market right now

brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 12:30 AM   #53
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special-K7 View Post
Honestly, by the time you spend your disposable income on jewelry and other pieces that you probably do not necessarily want you could buy the watches you do want on the gray market.
Exactly. Don’t fall prey to the AD manipulation.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 12:33 AM   #54
Smarties
"TRF" Member

okay....

How much do you plan to spend besides the watches you want?
Smarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 12:41 AM   #55
Sunstreaker
"TRF" Member

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a TS? Sorry, I'm new to this ...
Sunstreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 01:48 AM   #56
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by K997 View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a TS? Sorry, I'm new to this ...
Trusted Seller

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 02:57 AM   #57
Sunstreaker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
Trusted Seller

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Sunstreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 11:25 AM   #58
darthgman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown5.0 View Post
There are some great ADs in the LA area. PM'ed you some info. Better to stick with a smaller one, but none in this area will be easy to get all 4 of your requested pieces.
Ohh can you send me the info on good LA area ADs too? Thanks
darthgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 12:41 PM   #59
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Quote:
It would not sit well with me to know that I purchased above MSRP. I feel like it’s just throwing away money. I’d rather wait and enjoy buying them at MSRP from a dealer as they come even if it takes a lot longer. Like I said, I’m viewing this as a journey.
OP, you will either throw money away or throw time away. And in the case of “building a relationship”, both. At some point in your life time will become more valuable and this “journey” will get old and tiresome.
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 12:43 PM   #60
Monty22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126715CHNR, 116400
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post

If you are being serious, it may be uber-market dependent. My AD is out of state for me (but still in a major metro market with big time wealth, but not international wealth) and my path roughly went this way:

1. A couple of visits during business trips to learn from them and find an SA with whom I connect. The point here is that they are people and want to help, but don’t want to be corrected by a WIS on details or deal with people grunting “stainless steel” and looking for the same stuff...let the process unfold
2. Purchase a PM piece, which was on my list but wasn’t supposed to be first
3. Purchased jewelry for the bride

I just received a coveted SS piece (that I actually wanted) in the mail and can get whatever I want in the future at MSRP.

Yes, there’s gamesmanship involved and it is a more affluent person’s game with AD’s right now, but that is the path IMHO.

Monty22 is offline   Reply With Quote