The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 February 2020, 08:14 AM   #31
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Not an uncommon scenario with strap changing on this model.
Sadly this seemed to be the case. Hearing horror stories like this makes me scrared to buy an Oyster-Flex model.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 08:24 AM   #32
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Wow. Terrible AD
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 08:28 AM   #33
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Thankfully they were reasonable about it, and hopefully you get another watch...but I do agree that it would be nice if Rolex changed the design
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 08:31 AM   #34
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Super common. Both my ad and rsc head watch maker caused nicks on the lug. It’s a design thing seems like it is nearly impossible to take off an installed strap without doing this.

They need to change the strap design to have cutouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 08:45 AM   #35
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
This is crazy I can change mine myself. I dont understand how this keeps happening to these
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 08:50 AM   #36
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Daytona oysterflex white gold, dealer scratched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
This is crazy I can change mine myself. I dont understand how this keeps happening to these

You changing oysterflex or just rubber straps like Everest etc? My ad did a strap change nicked the lug so I told them I’m taking it to rsc and you’re paying for the other strap. The head watch maker and rsc made a similar nick. I was like fmd... seems like they’re hoping most that purchased these watches won’t notice.

Old 16 February 2020, 09:11 AM   #37
iatacs19
"TRF" Member

This needs to communicated to Rolex. My guess is that the communication is just being lost at the AD level. Without feedback Rolex won't know to change the actual design!
iatacs19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 09:43 AM   #38
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
This needs to communicated to Rolex. My guess is that the communication is just being lost at the AD level. Without feedback Rolex won't know to change the actual design!

Rolex listen to feedback when? Lol. I think what is needed is more people like Jody in the other thread where he forced them to give him a new case and less people like me who get over it. They will notice that at least as it’s costing them money and time.

Old 16 February 2020, 12:25 PM   #39
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101031-28 View Post
Sorry this happened OP. Hope the AD gets another 116519 soon. Kinda glad I am not a fan of the OF strap as I would really hate being handed an all scratched up, brand new watch.
Thanks! The president of the company wrote me a very nice letter today. She said they are working very hard to get me one. The watch that got messed up sold within 2 hours of me walking away on it. I am glad they got it sold.

She couldn't make any promises, but one is on order, and she's trying to track one down as well.
nutrientcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 12:26 PM   #40
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
You changing oysterflex or just rubber straps like Everest etc? My ad did a strap change nicked the lug so I told them I’m taking it to rsc and you’re paying for the other strap. The head watch maker and rsc made a similar nick. I was like fmd... seems like they’re hoping most that purchased these watches won’t notice.

Old 16 February 2020, 12:28 PM   #41
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozack90 View Post
Thankfully they were reasonable about it, and hopefully you get another watch...but I do agree that it would be nice if Rolex changed the design

They were awesome about it. And she said they are trying very hard to track one down. They also reordered one as well. I couldn't be happier after the very nice letter from the president. She was awesome!
Old 16 February 2020, 12:30 PM   #42
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

Update from my AD. After a very nice letter today to me. She said they are trying very hard to get one in sooner than later and one is on order as well. She apologized and is going to sit down with the guy that that did the work.

She also said that now that they know my wrist size. The watch they put on order will have the correct length so nothing will have to be changed out when it comes in. I was very happy with her response and thanked her. She is the president of the store.
Old 16 February 2020, 01:14 PM   #43
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutrientcobra View Post
Update from my AD. After a very nice letter today to me. She said they are trying very hard to get one in sooner than later and one is on order as well. She apologized and is going to sit down with the guy that that did the work.

She also said that now that they know my wrist size. The watch they put on order will have the correct length so nothing will have to be changed out when it comes in. I was very happy with her response and thanked her. She is the president of the store.
Yeah.. she’s yanking your chain on the watch coming in with the correct bracelet size. They leave Geneva on the one size and cannot be changed out prior to arriving to the store. My RSC even confirmed for me. They’ll probably swap it out before you arrive to the store to pick up.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 08:36 PM   #44
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
Yeah.. she’s yanking your chain on the watch coming in with the correct bracelet size. They leave Geneva on the one size and cannot be changed out prior to arriving to the store. My RSC even confirmed for me. They’ll probably swap it out before you arrive to the store to pick up.
Yep heard the same, and the damage happens when they remove the installed strap, not when installing...
Old 16 February 2020, 10:13 PM   #45
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

If they made a mess of it trying to polish it out what will they do with this watch now?
3sheets86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 10:29 PM   #46
AssettsPros
"TRF" Member

Damaged Screws

Sad to hear that these incredible mechanical pieces can’t make it out the door as they left the factory. I purchased three in the last 18 months, two out of the three were damaged as the screws were twisted during sizing. The third, was not damaged and that was because it didn’t need to be resized. The first Sub had the screws so badly damaged I took it back, which the AD did step up and give me a full refund.

All three deliveries were less than impressive. I was rushed, the boxes were thrown together, no extras like you sometimes see on YouTube during unboxing videos.

Anyhow, I guess it doesn’t matter when they sell so many and are so desired. I recently purchased two gifts for my daughters at Cartier, after we left I thought to myself that Rolex should take a cue from their delivery experience, which was incredible. Even the follow up...

Of course I still love the watches and brand, but man what gives....
AssettsPros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 11:14 PM   #47
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sheets86 View Post
If they made a mess of it trying to polish it out what will they do with this watch now?
They sold it- see above.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 02:43 AM   #48
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lugs View Post
They sold it- see above.

A lot of people don’t notice this stuff. This forum is a special subset of the watch buying folk. I marks most 50+ year olds wouldn’t be able to see without a loupe.

Old 17 February 2020, 02:53 AM   #49
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miami View Post
Wow! Another thread about this. I’m sorry to hear this. It is beyond me how an experience Rolex Watch Maker can’t size the OF properly without scratching. Has me nervous for buying my yacht master on OF soon.

The everose for me is the perfect version of the ym due to the cerachrom bezel. If I were you what I’d do is go to the ad and if it fits without a strap change take it. If not grab yourself a different ym37.

Old 18 February 2020, 02:47 PM   #50
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe so!

Not discrediting what you say. If it's changed out before it gets to me, thats fine. But I will inspect it real good before I buy!
Old 18 February 2020, 02:51 PM   #51
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
A lot of people don’t notice this stuff. This forum is a special subset of the watch buying folk. I marks most 50+ year olds wouldn’t be able to see without a loupe.

I am 56 and caught it without glasses. It was bad! But maybe most wouldn't catch it. And some don't wouldn't care.
Old 27 March 2020, 12:22 PM   #52
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101031-28 View Post
Sorry this happened OP. Hope the AD gets another 116519 soon. Kinda glad I am not a fan of the OF strap as I would really hate being handed an all scratched up, brand new watch.
UPDATE: I just got a call tonight from my AD. The new watch came in today, that quick! The AD told me they would order the watch with the correct length of band on it that was fitted to me when they originally scratched it.

Someone was saying that they factory won't do that. Well they did. She said that it come form the factory that way. I am picking it up tomorrow!

Old 28 March 2020, 12:50 AM   #53
iatacs19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutrientcobra View Post
UPDATE: I just got a call tonight from my AD. The new watch came in today, that quick! The AD told me they would order the watch with the correct length of band on it that was fitted to me when they originally scratched it.

Someone was saying that they factory won't do that. Well they did. She said that it come form the factory that way. I am picking it up tomorrow!

Finally some good news!!!
iatacs19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 01:55 AM   #54
jonzm
Banned

Watch: Rolex Yatchmaster
Sorry about your bad experience with the AD, it’s good you got refunded, you have all the time to get a good piece now.
jonzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 02:27 AM   #55
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sheets86 View Post
I was just wondering the exact same thing. We've heard a fair few occurrences of this happening here which means there must be way more happening in the real world. These watches are expensive and once this has happened short of replacing the case the only option is to polish the damage away - which obviously leaves the watch not in the condition it should be for a brand new piece.

So presumably if the first customer rejects the watch after the AD damages it they polish as best they can and unload it onto the next unsuspecting customer....Not cool really.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 04:21 AM   #56
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
I was just wondering the exact same thing. We've heard a fair few occurrences of this happening here which means there must be way more happening in the real world. These watches are expensive and once this has happened short of replacing the case the only option is to polish the damage away - which obviously leaves the watch not in the condition it should be for a brand new piece.

So presumably if the first customer rejects the watch after the AD damages it they polish as best they can and unload it onto the next unsuspecting customer....Not cool really.
They probably just polish it and sell it discounted as pre-owned because only people on this forum think a watch is ruined if a scratch is professionally removed. A regular buyer will take a discount for an unnoticeable polish.
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 06:37 AM   #57
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
"OF" stands for two words.

The First word is "OH . . .

The Second word is "F....."

These watches that utilize OF are always getting damaged when there is a need to switch for smaller fits. I would be one of those smaller fits, and after reading several posts about the incurred damage, I would never own any OF.

IMHO every watch that is damaged because of the OF-changing fiasco ought to be sent back to Rolex S.A. to be replaced.

That will get their attention just what a bad idea the OF was . . . how difficult would it have been to add a divot at each end for a springbar tweezer !!!!!

It is not like Rolex to cut corners like this.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 09:46 AM   #58
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well it came in today, and it has the correct size band. She made it happen with a turnaround of just over a month!

No scratches and perfect!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B406FA31-9F53-40E4-8C8F-DAFD8C375513.jpeg (85.3 KB, 156 views)
Old 28 March 2020, 09:37 PM   #59
CaliSpecial
"TRF" Member

Lovely... well worth the wait.
CaliSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 10:03 PM   #60
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote