The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 March 2020, 06:52 AM   #31
Michael V
Banned

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I totally respect and understand people getting frustrated that they can’t get the pieces they want
Right... and that's what your seeing in all these threads and posts. If flippers and grays have to suffer for me to get my Sky D then so be it.
Michael V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 06:58 AM   #32
*LexLover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
Another trick I noticed is that they will mark a watch as reserved and then a few days later its not reserved anymore. I've been looking at a 16760 on C24 from Xupes for about a year listed at 33K, a couple of weeks ago it was marked as reserved after sitting there for a year. Then it wasn't reserved and now the price is 24K. I saw the same tactic with the Speedy 50th, several marked as reserve and then a few days later not reserved.

Trying to get people to feel they missed out and now they have a second chance???
This is called 'reserved for no one" in the business and it's designed to do what you described. You see it at wholesale shows too where a hot items is left in the case and marked "hold". Occasionally, it will get a buyer to pay over asking price.
*LexLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 06:58 AM   #33
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
I have tried to offer 1K lower to a bunch of those sellers and nobody wants to budge
I think thats a myth getting 1K off the selling price

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 06:59 AM   #34
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V View Post
Right... and that's what your seeing in all these threads and posts. If flippers and grays have to suffer for me to get my Sky D then so be it.
I feel bad for you, what a selfish thing to say...there are enough suffering right now for legit reasons, trying to stay healthy or put food on the tables for their family but you're only concerned with getting a luxury watch.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 07:00 AM   #35
HTV88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
I agree.

You will also see greys take watches off their website listings (basically hiding them) for a while to make it seem like the watches are selling. Then they will re list same watch in future.

The buyer following website will think “oh no! they had a black Daytona and now it’s no longer listed (thinking it sold)”. Then a few weeks will pass and same Daytona will appear on their listings. Buyer thinks,” oh good, they got in another Daytona. I better buy it before it sells since I missed out on the last one.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is very truth.
HTV88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 07:30 AM   #36
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Yeah I haven’t seen much of a price drop in these. People are holding out as a long as they can hoping for an economy rebound. Good Luck.
The hoarders will not be able to just sit on large quantities of in demand watches for weeks and weeks and perhaps months with nobody buying at ridiculous prices. They will have to adjust their pricing to market demand. Be patient, prices will be coming down.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 08:59 AM   #37
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
I seen a white dial for 18 and change the other day. I'm a buyer at MSRP with my name on the card.
18k for a white dial ceramic steel Daytona?
Where???
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 09:01 AM   #38
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
18k for a white dial ceramic steel Daytona?
Where???
Probaly a steel bezel

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 09:03 AM   #39
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
What? What happened to it?
Elective surgery, bezel Ding replacement, then they decided it wasn't running at spec so are doing a warranty service as well. I have this image of it sitting in pieces on someone's work surface as they closed the doors and turned off the lights...

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 09:06 AM   #40
sallyhats
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM111, BLNR
There are several sought after SS sports models going for 10% below what they were going for just 2 weeks ago. Black sub w/ date for under 9? ��

GMT II - 116710 BLNR
sallyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 09:07 AM   #41
calishine
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutelyROLEX! View Post
I have tried to offer 1K lower to a bunch of those sellers and nobody wants to budge
I think thats a myth getting 1K off the selling price
Just wait a few weeks, you’ll get that and more.
calishine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 09:13 AM   #42
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
i feel bad for you, what a selfish thing to say...there are enough suffering right now for legit reasons, trying to stay healthy or put food on the tables for their family but you're only concerned with getting a luxury watch.
x2
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 09:16 AM   #43
HTX1990
"TRF" Member

H.Q. Milton is selling a Pepsi that has dropped in price daily for the last two days. I think by about $300 dollars a day.
HTX1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 09:25 AM   #44
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
The hoarders will not be able to just sit on large quantities of in demand watches for weeks and weeks and perhaps months with nobody buying at ridiculous prices. They will have to adjust their pricing to market demand. Be patient, prices will be coming down.

I’ve been waiting for this moment for awhile, patiently waiting. Hate that people are losing their jobs and this virus is devastating the community. These 2 things can be viewed as mutually exclusive, just bc I’m salivating at the mouth for the inevitable market crash and am happy about it doesn’t mean I’m also happy about the current reality of what’s going on in the real world.

So patience is definitely not an issue here, I’m waiting and sipping my tea for the BLRO to hit less than msrp
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 09:37 AM   #45
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Page View Post
Elective surgery, bezel Ding replacement, then they decided it wasn't running at spec so are doing a warranty service as well. I have this image of it sitting in pieces on someone's work surface as they closed the doors and turned off the lights...

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Your imagine is probably an accurate depiction

/:
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 11:37 AM   #46
Michael V
Banned

Quote:
I feel bad for you, what a selfish thing to say...there are enough suffering right now for legit reasons, trying to stay healthy or put food on the tables for their family but you're only concerned with getting a luxury watch.
Gimme a break. Grays make their money by gouging on luxury items. Not like they are curing cancer or teaching kids to read. Lol
Old 20 March 2020, 11:39 AM   #47
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Gimme a break. Grays make their money by gouging on luxury items. Not like they are curing cancer or teaching kids to read. Lol
greys used to sell steel models at bigger discounts than ADs, wonder what you'd say then
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 11:47 AM   #48
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
It’s karma and not a nice to thing say, especially considering some of those grays help to support this forum
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 12:00 PM   #49
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
greys used to sell steel models at bigger discounts than ADs, wonder what you'd say then
It’s easy to forget....this was just 3-4 years ago you could get a lot of models at this price.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 12:19 PM   #50
Michael V
Banned

Quote:
Then ? Sounds like the past to me.

Sorry to get you guys up in a frenzy. I appreciate everyone on this forum.
Old 20 March 2020, 12:23 PM   #51
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Quote:
How you described them is unfortunately what everyone always seems to focus on...people who think the grey market dealers are making tons of money selling the hot references (SDs/GMT/Daytonas) don't truly understand how the grey market works. These same grey dealers are the ones that have offered TRFers more money for their used Rolex than any AD would...and provide more security in selling it to them than selling privately. They are also the same people who generously donate Rolex watches to TRF for giveaways and thereby contribute to the overall running of this site.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
It’s karma and not a nice to thing say, especially considering some of those grays help to support this forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
It’s easy to forget....this was just 3-4 years ago you could get a lot of models at this price.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 12:24 PM   #52
timepiecegentleman
Banned

Watch: 116613LN Bluesy
Quote:
My heart goes out to all the flippers that ruined the market for people that want to actually own these watches. LOL

You blame this on the flippers but who sold it to the flippers in the first place?

It was normal people that were more concerned with profit than watches.

Remember, those same flippers are the ones that will get you solid gold pieces and women’s watches at a reasonable discount. Your AD sure isn’t

timepiecegentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 12:27 PM   #53
timepiecegentleman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim14 View Post
The market is definitely softening. This is only the beginning with all this craziness I believe. Have seen a few Daytona C white dials breaking into the 21's now with private sellers and dealer. They still dont seem to be moving either. Seems like only a few months ago they were 24k+. I've also noticed Hulks and batmans on the way down.

I think they greys are going to try and ride it out as long as possible and hold to their prices. The last thing they want to do is start dropping them to indicate the market is coming down. There is a lot of uncertainty ahead with what is going on in the world and i dont think the greys are really desperate yet.

Private sellers and inexperienced dealers will be the ones that drop prices because they need cash.

It won’t affect much those because the majority are scared to buy also. As mentioned, there are a few for sale at the lowest prices we’ve seen but they still haven’t sold.

By the time the consumer feels like its ok to spend again prices will spike back up.

And yes, most of the smarter flippers are taking vacation and holding inventory. No sense in dumping stuff and bringing the market down.

Old 20 March 2020, 12:31 PM   #54
timepiecegentleman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
I agree.

You will also see greys take watches off their website listings (basically hiding them) for a while to make it seem like the watches are selling. Then they will re list same watch in future.

The buyer following website will think “oh no! they had a black Daytona and now it’s no longer listed (thinking it sold)”. Then a few weeks will pass and same Daytona will appear on their listings. Buyer thinks,” oh good, they got in another Daytona. I better buy it before it sells since I missed out on the last one.”

Accurate in some senses. I took certain pieces off my website not to make it seem like they sold but simply because I am going to hold them until the market corrects.

Rolex will survive so dumping stuff in a panic and taking a loss makes no sense.

Old 20 March 2020, 12:31 PM   #55
myc ritz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Speedy, Rolex
Quote:
How you described them is unfortunately what everyone always seems to focus on...people who think the grey market dealers are making tons of money selling the hot references (SDs/GMT/Daytonas) don't truly understand how the grey market works. These same grey dealers are the ones that have offered TRFers more money for their used Rolex than any AD would...and provide more security in selling it to them than selling privately. They are also the same people who generously donate Rolex watches to TRF for giveaways and thereby contribute to the overall running of this site.
Amen. Also, grey dealers ARE essentially the market. For every Pepsi or Daytona you see over MSRP, they are selling several other pieces for under retail. The USED ROLEX market is nothing new. Just over the last few years it has been supplied by flippers due to an increase in demand. Grey dealers will always be around, and they will sell at a relatively consistent margin (whether above or below retail). If you hate gray dealers, then you hate the fact the you can easily sell the Rolex on your wrist...simple as that.
myc ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 12:32 PM   #56
timepiecegentleman
Banned

Quote:
I seen a white dial for 18 and change the other day. I'm a buyer at MSRP with my name on the card.

Where was this? I’ll take it ASAP

Old 20 March 2020, 12:33 PM   #57
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Absolutely correct. They buy and sell according to the market just like anyone else.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 12:34 PM   #58
timepiecegentleman
Banned

Quote:

For this to happen your talking about the entire economy collapsing. Think about what would have to actually happen to bring the price of an SS sport model down to retail.

How many people would loose everything they own so you can save a few grand on a watch?

These watches may come down 30% but so will your house. Be careful what you wish for.

Old 20 March 2020, 12:41 PM   #59
timepiecegentleman
Banned

Quote:

Grey dealers are not buying these things at retail like so many people want to believe. Everyone who gets that call from the AD goes and picks up their Pepsi or Daytona then immediately hops online to see what they are selling for.

They call multiple Greys to see who will offer the highest. Greys bid within $100-300 of each other and the strongest offer wins.

If you think people are going to get online and see selling prices of 23-24k for a white Daytona and then accept an 18k offer from a Grey your mistaken. Generally the number is going to be within 500-1500 of actual market value.

That’s your avg margins we work on. Wholesale is even less. $100-$300 on average.

Those are very fair numbers to earn considering the safety we bring to the table when helping you sell.

Old 20 March 2020, 12:47 PM   #60
Michael V
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timepiecegentleman View Post
Where was this? I’ll take it ASAP

Was on FB marketplace near Chicago. Its not there anymore.