The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 March 2020, 11:19 PM   #31
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I'm not so certain. My 116506 has the best accuracy (approximately 1sec/mo) of any watch I've ever owned, period. At that rate it needs time adjustment to keep it within a minute of NIST time once every five years. Is this strictly coincidental or was extra effort taken to choose the best performing mechanism for this fantastic watch.

I don't know...having owned several PM watches over the years, as well as the Platona, I'm not sure I agree with this concept. As a whole, they're not any better performers, time-keeping-wise, than their steel counterparts.

My very first DD was the absolute worst time keeper I've ever owned. If I remember correctly, it was something like 25-30 sec fast a day. It's one of only two watches that I've broken down and took to get regulated.

I really think time keeping is just a sort of luck of the draw type thing, regardless of metal. I have some that are really spectacular and some that are well...not as spectacular.

OP, to answer your question, I don't think so. I say 'think' because I've often pondered this question, seeing a scenario where there's a couple of guys standing around, looking at a gold watch saying, "Hey, since this one costs $30k, do you think we should look it over one more time?"
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 11:47 PM   #32
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
I’ve owned both SS and PM pieces and the quality was the same.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 05:51 AM   #33
Dabbadon8
"TRF" Member

For those of you who say that SS and PM are of the same build quality, etc., do you feel there is diminishing returns on purchasing a PM piece? You are getting the same craftsmanship, finishing, movement, etc. for a huge premium just due to the metal the watch is crafted out of (well above market price for the weight of the metal). For some pieces, like the DD, there's no choice or certain configurations are only available in PM. How do you decide, hey, this configuration is worth 20k to more to me than a SS piece of the same quality (minus the PM materials)?
Dabbadon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 06:10 AM   #34
One&done
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadon8 View Post
For those of you who say that SS and PM are of the same build quality, etc., do you feel there is diminishing returns on purchasing a PM piece? You are getting the same craftsmanship, finishing, movement, etc. for a huge premium just due to the metal the watch is crafted out of (well above market price for the weight of the metal). For some pieces, like the DD, there's no choice or certain configurations are only available in PM. How do you decide, hey, this configuration is worth 20k to more to me than a SS piece of the same quality (minus the PM materials)?
To me it is as simple as how the watch makes me feel when I put it on in the morning. Happiness is difficult to value and deeply personal / subjective. You won’t find the answer in a calculator.
One&done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 06:11 AM   #35
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Nope All the same except for metal used in case/bracelet.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote