The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 August 2020, 12:39 AM   #31
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

The fact that this is even a question is why I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on a 14060m at the current prices they're trading for. When a clean example 14060m is going for roughly the same price or slightly less than a 114060 at retail, the choice is clear to me. Bring the 14060m down under 6K USD and that's when I'd start to seriously consider it.

I realize that others have different perspectives/motivations when purchasing a watch. I personally sometimes find it hard to reconcile what the vintage Rolex market has become.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 12:47 AM   #32
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

If you think a 14060 is expensive now wait 5 years and see what they’re going for then.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 12:53 AM   #33
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
If you think a 14060 is expensive now wait 5 years and see what they’re going for then.
Why? In 5 years the watch hype will be gone. LOL

5 years ago from today not a single person cared about watches outside of true watch lovers. Now every dick and harry is into them.

Everything is cyclical - I would bet my money in 5 years all this hype is gone. Just like what happened with shoes and other hyped commodities.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 01:03 AM   #34
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post

5 years ago from today not a single person cared about watches outside of true watch lovers. Now every dick and harry is into them.

Everything is cyclical - I would bet my money in 5 years all this hype is gone. Just like what happened with shoes and other hyped commodities.
Lol all you want, there’s no proof that it’s going to die down. It’s a sign of aspiration which has rocketed since the rapid expansion of the middle classes. As long as the markets go up and people make money, luxury watches will be bought.

There’s also the fact that really good examples of the 5 digits are getting increasingly harder to find and that with each year Rolex increases retail prices on existing models which also drags up the value of older models.

I’d also argue that 5 digits aren’t really being bought in spades by your average customer which just demands a Rolex. I think they’re being bought by people which specifically want the older models.

Edited to add: Instagram and social media wasn’t as big a thing 5 years ago. Since then luxury goods worldwide have boomed to record levels. We’re not just talking watches.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 01:05 AM   #35
Wrist Watcher
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
The fact that this is even a question is why I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on a 14060m at the current prices they're trading for. When a clean example 14060m is going for roughly the same price or slightly less than a 114060 at retail, the choice is clear to me. Bring the 14060m down under 6K USD and that's when I'd start to seriously consider it.

I realize that others have different perspectives/motivations when purchasing a watch. I personally sometimes find it hard to reconcile what the vintage Rolex market has become.
This is exactly how I feel. I have been super tempted to buy a 14060m, but the price for those in very good condition has gone through the roof. I would be an instant buyer at $6k, but $9k and above for a nice example is too rich for me for that particular watch, especially after holding and comparing one against the 114060 (no comparison in the feel of the two). I guess I'm just not into the "neo vintage" market as some.
Wrist Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 01:15 AM   #36
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post

I agree to an extent, but with the younger generation, Instagram and appearance is a big deal. Many people put money for a Rolex before buying a house.

And once everyone is into SS Rolex, which I believe many are now, that won't go overnight. It may for a few, but others may want the next thing after SS Rolex, PP AP PM Rolex etc.

All imo
Old 21 August 2020, 01:25 AM   #37
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrist Watcher View Post
This is exactly how I feel. I have been super tempted to buy a 14060m, but the price for those in very good condition has gone through the roof. I would be an instant buyer at $6k, but $9k and above for a nice example is too rich for me for that particular watch, especially after holding and comparing one against the 114060 (no comparison in the feel of the two). I guess I'm just not into the "neo vintage" market as some.
Had I fallen down this rabbit hole five or so years earlier than I did I would likely own a 14060m and a 16570 - not a 214270 and a 114060. I don't really have any regrets; the market just changed and I adapted to it.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 01:49 AM   #38
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Page View Post
I'd always take the Rolex Sub..
+1 Tudor is nice, but IMO it's not Rolex quality. And I have handled many of both in the last 30 years.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 01:24 PM   #39
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

This is my opinion based on owning all of these at some point, and often at the same time:

I've got 4 and 5 digit Subs/SD's, and just got my BB58 Blue, but I've owned a handful of recent Tudors and still have a Tudor GMT I wear often. From a movement standpoint, the 4 and 5 digit Rolex's can't touch the accuracy and power reserve in these new Tudors. Mine have been every bit as accurate as my 6 digit Rolex's, and with longer power reserve.

Dials and hands are similar to Rolex, which is to say very good but not great, and if you're really picky about that I'd stay away from the loupe. Better than my recent Omega's, but can't even come close to the quality of a similarly priced Grand Seiko, nor the watches you'd expect to have spectacular dials, like PP, AP, VC. The Glashutte Original's I've owned have also had amazing dials and hands.

Rolex 904L steel just has a very different feel from the 316 that Tudor, Omega, and most other brands use. It has a warmth and luster to it that looks and feels very different to me, and I can pick up one or the other with my eyes closed and instantly know whether it's a Rolex or Tudor. The edges feel "softer" (especially the bracelets) on a Rolex, and they feel like they're better finished, which they really aren't, but I think it's just the effect of the 904L. Tudors feel harder, and I think they are quite a bit more resistant to dings and scratches. I've never put a ding in a Tudor, and I generally don't baby them the way I tend to be careful wearing a Rolex. 904L is kind of easy to dent, especially on the edges of the cases. I think the steel just makes a Rolex feel more premium, more refined.

I really like things like the chamfered lugs on the Tudors, something I wish Rolex would bring back. No question that Tudor punches way above its weight class and I find it just a more "fun" brand today than Rolex, which have turned into Instagram trophy pieces rather than watches for enthusiasts.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 10:05 PM   #40
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
theyre already ridiculous compared to a few years back. even the polished to pointy crown guards are asking over $7k
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote