The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 September 2020, 06:35 PM   #31
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Having owned the piece for a couple of months I would have to say it’s a triumph. I love the quality of the piece (as others have said), I love that it is clearly a Lange, I love the clarity of the dial and I also love the day date arrangement. I am someone who likes changing straps on my PM pieces so having the option on a sports piece to also change it up is great (I have also heard the rumours that this is only the first 200 pieces).

What’s not to like really about the piece, even the bracelet which I have to say does divide people means you always stand out from the crowd of other sports pieces - it is wide but it very much works and the comfort is absolutely second to none, the adjust system is the blueprint that all watches need to follow.

That looks wonderful Russell. *Sigh* Like a spurned suitor, I must still acknowledge its beauty. I'm also one of the few who loved the bracelet from the get-go.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 06:37 PM   #32
Nightdate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMartiny View Post
Yes, I understand that even if approved in the application process there will be quite a wait before Lange can deliver one.

Which Overseas did you end up getting?
Got the 4500V Blue.

The journey in the thread below...
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...sea+experience

The funniest part is I never considered the Overseas because I thought 40mm was my limit and only landed up in the boutique on my way to ...wait for it...a third drop in at the Lange boutique!
Nightdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 07:09 PM   #33
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Quote:
Having owned the piece for a couple of months I would have to say it’s a triumph. I love the quality of the piece (as others have said), I love that it is clearly a Lange, I love the clarity of the dial and I also love the day date arrangement. I am someone who likes changing straps on my PM pieces so having the option on a sports piece to also change it up is great (I have also heard the rumours that this is only the first 200 pieces).

What’s not to like really about the piece, even the bracelet which I have to say does divide people means you always stand out from the crowd of other sports pieces - it is wide but it very much works and the comfort is absolutely second to none, the adjust system is the blueprint that all watches need to follow.

Beautiful! Thanks for your "mini review". Glad to know that you are still enjoying your Odysseus after the "honey moon period". I really like the look of the watch on that strap. How difficult is it to change between bracelet and strap?
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 07:13 PM   #34
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdate View Post
Got the 4500V Blue.

The journey in the thread below...
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...sea+experience

The funniest part is I never considered the Overseas because I thought 40mm was my limit and only landed up in the boutique on my way to ...wait for it...a third drop in at the Lange boutique!
Choice is always good. The 4500V is definitely also a looker worth serious consideration. I love the ability to easily change between bracelet and straps.
Old 11 September 2020, 07:20 PM   #35
Nightdate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Choice is always good. The 4500V is definitely also a looker worth serious consideration. I love the ability to easily change between bracelet and straps.
Exactly! I love that about it. It is actually like wearing a different watch.
Nightdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 08:16 PM   #36
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

I'm a proud owner of the SS version and have to admit I really love the piece. It's so Lange and still way different than the PM history. And yes, it can't compete against a 5711, but not for the fact of craftsmanship or beauty, just for the fact that it is a completely different type of watch.

On your collectible question - I follow a bit the development of the aftermarket on the Odysseus (not many pieces have turned up so far though, which is rather a good sign I believe) and it sells (and I mean sales not asking price) for € 50-55k at the moment, ie 2x retail. Definitely fueled by the SS sports hype and the limited supply but a strong indication that it's sought after and has its fans, beyond flippers and social media show offs.
edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 09:21 PM   #37
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the watch but it is not for me. The blue is very nice.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 09:32 PM   #38
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Beautiful! Thanks for your "mini review". Glad to know that you are still enjoying your Odysseus after the "honey moon period". I really like the look of the watch on that strap. How difficult is it to change between bracelet and strap?
No issue to remove the bracelet and I always have quick release pins on my straps. I've not refitted the bracelet yet but it is a standard pin bar with easy access so hopefully no issues with the right tools.

I've got an orange rubber strap coming from JR, might be too bright but until you try you simply don't know - looked ok in store. :)
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 09:42 PM   #39
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I've got an orange rubber strap coming from JR, might be too bright but until you try you simply don't know - looked ok in store. :)
Oh you made it down! Can't want to see the strap...
Old 11 September 2020, 09:45 PM   #40
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Lange Odysseus, what's the verdict?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Oh you made it down! Can't want to see the strap...

Fingers crossed - might be too much and with blue stitching matched to the dial.

Popped in yesterday after checking out the 175th anniversary pieces at the Boutique.

Old 11 September 2020, 09:47 PM   #41
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhahn44 View Post
I'm a proud owner of the SS version and have to admit I really love the piece. It's so Lange and still way different than the PM history. And yes, it can't compete against a 5711, but not for the fact of craftsmanship or beauty, just for the fact that it is a completely different type of watch.

On your collectible question - I follow a bit the development of the aftermarket on the Odysseus (not many pieces have turned up so far though, which is rather a good sign I believe) and it sells (and I mean sales not asking price) for € 50-55k at the moment, ie 2x retail. Definitely fueled by the SS sports hype and the limited supply but a strong indication that it's sought after and has its fans, beyond flippers and social media show offs.

Thanks that is very helpful Glad to hear you are still in love with yours!

As for impressive secondary market value that is probably at this point mostly driven by the extremely limited amount of pieces that have come up for sale through that route. However, it is obviously comforting to know that Odysseus is generally a keeper among early buyers which does not get flipped and that the few that come up for sale seem to more than hold value.
Old 11 September 2020, 09:56 PM   #42
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Popped in yesterday after checking out the 175th anniversary pieces at the Boutique.
How did you like the 1815 split second chrono, also vs. the normal chrono? Do you have a picture of it with the rattrapante hands aligning at 12? Had the feeling it could look a bit cluttery with the placement of the sub dials.
Old 11 September 2020, 10:00 PM   #43
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Lange Odysseus, what's the verdict?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhahn44 View Post
How did you like the 1815 split second chrono, also vs. the normal chrono? Do you have a picture of it with the rattrapante hands aligning at 12? Had the feeling it could look a bit cluttery with the placement of the sub dials.

It's gorgeous! I don't think I have a shot at 12. A Perfect wrist size (for me) - I wore my 5370 to do a comparison - exactly the same diameter as the 5370 and .9mm slimmer.
Old 11 September 2020, 10:02 PM   #44
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
I've never bonded with the Odysseus. Although admittedly I am not an ALS kind of guy. I have major respect for ALS and the quality of their watches,and viewed from the back they have almost no equal. But, viewed from the front or side they just do not appeal to me. Odysseus is more of the same. For sport watches give me AP all day, and for leather give me FPJ.

I am pleased to see ALS doing a sportier SS watch though. Competition is good. The new Moser is nice, and UJ released theirs a year or so ago. I prefer both of those to the Odysseus to be honest. But again, I am not the target guy for ALS. Nice for us all to have choices. And if you like the ALS design aesthetic, then this looks like a great watch.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 10:07 PM   #45
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's gorgeous! I don't think I have a shot at 12. A Perfect wrist size (for me) - I wore my 5370 to do a comparison - exactly the same diameter as the 5370 and .9mm slimmer.
A bit out of my league, but what a beauty!
Old 11 September 2020, 10:16 PM   #46
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
I am pleased to see ALS doing a sportier SS watch though. Competition is good. The new Moser is nice, and UJ released theirs a year or so ago. I prefer both of those to the Odysseus to be honest. But again, I am not the target guy for ALS. Nice for us all to have choices. And if you like the ALS design aesthetic, then this looks like a great watch.
I did consider the Moser as well, but on balance I think their movement finishing while nice is not at the Lange level. Also fear the matrix green is a bit 2020 and might not "age" so well.

I am a big fan of Urban Jürgensen, but never really warmed to the slightly bulky design ethos of the One. I have an UJ Alfred (42mm) which I feel is a much better casual UJ choice which preserves all of the brand's unique DNA developed during the Baumberger era (gorgeous hands, timeless case with tear drop lugs, clean dial etc.)

Old 11 September 2020, 10:23 PM   #47
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

The UJ One just doesn’t work at all...
Old 11 September 2020, 11:16 PM   #48
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wow - this side by side picture is great. tough choice I guess if you are lucky enough to have it....
Old 11 September 2020, 11:45 PM   #49
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You need to do a comparison thread! The depth/layers in the dial of the Lange are really really cool.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2020, 12:14 AM   #50
ap1

That limited Lange is fire!
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2020, 12:22 AM   #51
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

I will say their timing of releasing their first SS sport model couldn't be any better. They will ride the hype train along with the rest of the brands and will get them started on the right foot. I also wonder if this ends up being really popular it will help stabilize Lange secondary market pricing as a whole as more people are attracted to the brand.
NYG1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2020, 01:26 AM   #52
dchang81

Just checked the timestamp of the photo I took while at the boutique, March 9th. Nutty to me how quickly these jumped. Should've went for it oh well.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2020, 01:38 AM   #53
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I was a hater from the pix but when I tried it on I loved it!

My WG one is arriving in next couple of weeks with both leather and rubber straps.

I may order the SS now as well and wow that double split looks way better in person than I thought it would. I love the the tourbograph but 500k euros is nutters
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2020, 01:51 AM   #54
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
I did consider the Moser as well, but on balance I think their movement finishing while nice is not at the Lange level. Also fear the matrix green is a bit 2020 and might not "age" so well.

I am a big fan of Urban Jürgensen, but never really warmed to the slightly bulky design ethos of the One. I have an UJ Alfred (42mm) which I feel is a much better casual UJ choice which preserves all of the brand's unique DNA developed during the Baumberger era (gorgeous hands, timeless case with tear drop lugs, clean dial etc.)

Beautiful watch! Alfred is lovely! I still actually like The One, but do agree I never considered adding it due to the thickness. I respected the hell out of them trying though. Again, more choice is always good for us.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2020, 02:09 AM   #55
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
Beautiful watch! Alfred is lovely! I still actually like The One, but do agree I never considered adding it due to the thickness. I respected the hell out of them trying though. Again, more choice is always good for us.
Thanks Yes, choice is great and makes all our watch journeys more interesting.
Old 12 September 2020, 02:11 AM   #56
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post

My WG one is arriving in next couple of weeks with both leather and rubber straps.

I may order the SS now as well and wow that double split looks way better in person than I thought it would. I love the the tourbograph but 500k euros is nutters
Congratulations on the the imminent incoming Remember to post some pictures when you get it.
Old 12 September 2020, 02:18 AM   #57
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Will do...I have a dato lumen now and ordered 3 new pieces that all arrive shortly!!

Pix will follow when they arrive
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2020, 02:50 AM   #58
cbalster
"TRF" Member

I applaud any watch maison with the courage to release a stainless steel piece with blue dial/bezel on bracelet in the current environment.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2020, 02:55 AM   #59
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post

Nice! I think the WG one looks way cooler, especially with the rubber.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2020, 03:32 AM   #60
Costa Rakaro
"TRF" Member

Watch: The next
Quote:
Sir, with this picture you made my day !!!
Costa Rakaro is offline   Reply With Quote