The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 November 2020, 12:01 PM   #31
PeculiarResearch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Good question.
The answer is I don't know, nor am I likely to ever find out.
I will say this though. I won't anticipate any great difficulty because of a great relationship I have with my dealer, so I am absolutely confident they would back me up in that event.
Besides, as things currently stand i wouldn't leave myself exposed to any liabilities relating to a movement which is notoriously problematic even if i still have the highest regard for the integrity of the manufacturer above any and all others based on a long and truly fulfilling history with them.
That is good your authorized dealer would take care of you. That means they are held to a higher standard and not every person can have access and treat people unfairly. At the end of the day what matters is how a customer is treated when they buy a product. Not the amount of money seller makes. This is very valuable.
PeculiarResearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 12:02 PM   #32
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeculiarResearch View Post
Hello everyone,

I have joined this group to dig up a little research on the watch industry. I have a few questions if that is alright.

I was told that some watches may have a difference in size from what the manufacturer may have told the public, is this true? (what models?)

Did this effect your purchase or maybe you felt buyers remorse after because it was a different size?

Thank you for your help!

C

Your project makes for interesting discourse.

I read this post plus the other posts you’ve made, and wondered this:
Have you come to a notion that size is a key characteristic of buyer satisfaction in the luxury mechanical watch segment?

Buyer expectations also rest on other key characteristics/drivers of sat/dissat. There are aspects like observed accuracy vs. promised accuracy, water resistance, fit and finish. Those aspects are easily measured by a buyer vs. pulling out a caliper to measure watch case diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 12:02 PM   #33
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Sorry, Rolex is a incredible brand don't get me wrong, but I have to go into depth for my project. They do great things for people and I see this. I am just required for the research is all to look at every aspect of how a company lives, operates, and functions.
I'll back Rolex all day every day despite the stupid things that they have been up to(IMO) in recent times
And I'll back them as an institution and organization right up to the hilt
Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 12:04 PM   #34
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

Have you come to a notion that size is a key characteristic of buyer satisfaction in the luxury mechanical watch segment?

Buyer expectations also rest on other key characteristics/drivers of sat/dissat. There are aspects like observed accuracy vs. promised accuracy, water resistance, fit and finish. Those aspects are easily measured by a buyer vs. pulling out a caliper to measure watch case diameter.

True
Old 8 November 2020, 12:06 PM   #35
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is good your authorized dealer would take care of you. That means they are held to a higher standard and not every person can have access and treat people unfairly. At the end of the day what matters is how a customer is treated when they buy a product. Not the amount of money seller makes. This is very valuable.
Remember.
Results will vary greatly but good relationships on all levels are critical to success.
Old 8 November 2020, 12:18 PM   #36
PeculiarResearch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

You're very correct because that is not the only factor that takes place here. I have noticed from many BBB complaints that functionality play a major role, but they come to a solution in most cases. It has peaked my curiosity as why they would go to the stage of a BBB complaint. There are many factors at play as maybe the AD is not providing 5 star treatment, a miscommunication, accidental damage, or anther outside force. Rolex manufactures an average of 800,000 watches a year, so it is a pretty good number to complaint ratio measuring those. It is satisfying the people are not left in the dark as a result as many companies do.

What really brought this to my attention was the air craft industry as if they make a mistake with a measurement it can bring down a plane. I know this is an apples to oranges comparison, but a point that made me curious to explore in the rolex community.
Old 8 November 2020, 12:46 PM   #37
77T

Quote:
You're very correct because that is not the only factor that takes place here. I have noticed from many BBB complaints that functionality play a major role, but they come to a solution in most cases. It has peaked my curiosity as why they would go to the stage of a BBB complaint. There are many factors at play as maybe the AD is not providing 5 star treatment, a miscommunication, accidental damage, or anther outside force. Rolex manufactures an average of 800,000 watches a year, so it is a pretty good number to complaint ratio measuring those. It is satisfying the people are not left in the dark as a result as many companies do.

What really brought this to my attention was the air craft industry as if they make a mistake with a measurement it can bring down a plane. I know this is an apples to oranges comparison, but a point that made me curious to explore in the rolex community.

Yes, apples to oranges but worthy of a comparo nonetheless.

I think your 800K stat is a bit low, but more importantly, that is global output. BBB stats shouldn’t be driven against the global output since only those sold in USA are within BBB scope. It would be better to use import numbers for Rolex USA. Numbers vary, but that could be only 20-25% of global production.

I agree that almost all other characteristics I cited can be cured by warranty work at RSC; diameter of the watch case can’t.

In the aircraft model, each airframe is certified for airworthiness and each carrier has check pilots who do acceptance tests (some may argue haphazardly). But watches usually only have the movement certified to a standard like COSC and no other external testing of other components.

BTW, have your checked the Apple and Samsung Watch community where millions more watches are sold? Are their sizes accurate - and to what degree does size affect buyer remorse?

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 01:35 PM   #38
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Few things

Depends on exact definition of what’s being measured

Manuf can round up or down

But ultimately have to try on watch to know how it will fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 02:25 PM   #39
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Yes, and be thankful you were able to get your hands on one
Just letting the newcomer know the only way he is ever going to see a Daytona. This problematic movement you speak of wouldn't happen to be in the new Sub, if you don't mind me asking? With lockdowns and such I've abandoned hope of ever seeing one. I haven't heard of any complaints about new movements for a long time. I thought they were ok now..
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 03:08 PM   #40
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Just letting the newcomer know the only way he is ever going to see a Daytona. This problematic movement you speak of wouldn't happen to be in the new Sub, if you don't mind me asking? With lockdowns and such I've abandoned hope of ever seeing one. I haven't heard of any complaints about new movements for a long time. I thought they were ok now..
It may well be in the new Sub

The thing about it is, we haven't heard of a conclusive fix for the issue. And it has been known to re-occure in the same watch later on whilst still under warranty as reported in this forum.
And very recently a dealer has revealed the same issue is causing problems to a member here if I read it correctly.

Logic would dictate it's ongoing.
Sadly.
Old 9 November 2020, 02:11 AM   #41
PeculiarResearch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
Few things

Depends on exact definition of what’s being measured

Manuf can round up or down

But ultimately have to try on watch to know how it will fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In this case I was looking at the diameter of Rolex, and yes it appears in many cases they round up like the model the Daytona.
Old 9 November 2020, 12:08 PM   #42
Uppersouth

Watch: SWISS
Quote:
is it hard to manufacture a watch to an exact specification? are you a watch maker? What challenges do you have to face as a result? Sorry for so many questions
The Germans don’t seem to have issues with advertised case dimensions. The Swiss seem to take a little license in this area of geometry.
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 01:09 PM   #43
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry, Rolex is a incredible brand don't get me wrong, but I have to go into depth for my project. They do great things for people and I see this. I am just required for the research is all to look at every aspect of how a company lives, operates, and functions.

Hahah ....good luck with that....unless you get a job at Rolex you've got no chance
Old 9 November 2020, 01:52 PM   #44
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I have joined this group to dig up a little research on the watch industry. I have a few questions if that is alright.

I was told that some watches may have a difference in size from what the manufacturer may have told the public, is this true? (what models?)

Did this effect your purchase or maybe you felt buyers remorse after because it was a different size?

Thank you for your help!
C
0.5mm difference ?

I like the DSSD,Expl II 42mm,SkyD,SD50th ,because they are big enough .
Not into Sub 0.5mm debates .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 01:57 PM   #45
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Depends who’s using the calipers
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote