The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 March 2021, 04:19 AM   #31
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
I had the same issue a year back. Wanted really a DD40 and was willing to offer some of my watches. But, i always say to myself when i really want something...sleep a few nights over it and ask yourself the same question.

Answer: I never got a DD40 lol.
Old 12 March 2021, 04:31 AM   #32
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmgb View Post
I’d do it.
Much rather have one watch that I really want than 3 nice but not so special watches
That, less is more.
Old 12 March 2021, 04:37 AM   #33
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
A few things to consider. How long is the wait time for the DD40? You can sell your watches now and wait, or you can sell when you get the daydate. Next is you have experience with a TT, but are you ready for a full time PM piece? Perhaps you will want to keep the steel datejust? What's the deposit half price or full price for the day date? Selling your three watches now gets you close to the full price deposit. You don't have to sell to an AD who sells pre owned Rolex call multiple secondary market dealers and see what they offer you.
Wait time was quoted to be 7 to 9 months, deposit required was 20%. I do have a full PM piece, I wear it occasionally, not daily of course. I would love to keep the DJ41 I currently have, if I do have to sell it, I'd probably buy another one down the road. If I were to consolidate, I'd probably wear my old Tag Heuer again as a daily, and keep the other 2 for going out, probably wearing my current YG DJ36 on family occasions since everyone knows that one already so that my family member's won't think I am trying to "flex" during Thanksgiving dinner....lol.

I will definitely call and go to several other dealers, both AD's and used watch dealers, this quote, as noted earlier, was from a second had watch dealer.

My best case scenario would be a close to even trade with my current AD, nice clean transaction, no muss no fuss.
Old 12 March 2021, 04:37 AM   #34
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmgb View Post
I’d do it.
Much rather have one watch that I really want than 3 nice but not so special watches

I agree. No matter how cool or neat the general public feels about a watch, your opinion on it is all that matters. Out with the old, in with the new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 March 2021, 04:38 AM   #35
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

And yes, I do value everyone's opinion about the consolidation part of this deal, meaning basically trading my current 3 for the DD40.
Old 12 March 2021, 04:57 AM   #36
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

Nice 3 watch collection. I wouldn’t do that trade. I own a DD40 too and for about a year it was my only watch. The novelty wore off and I absolutely hated it being my only option. I now have a Pepsi and a Batgirl to go along with it and find myself not even wearing the DD40 much. It’s still a keeper though but I realized buying it was just an itch I had to scratch.

1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 05:11 AM   #37
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995akcoop View Post
Nice 3 watch collection. I wouldn’t do that trade. I own a DD40 too and for about a year it was my only watch. The novelty wore off and I absolutely hated it being my only option. I now have a Pepsi and a Batgirl to go along with it and find myself not even wearing the DD40 much. It’s still a keeper though but I realized buying it was just an itch I had to scratch.

Thanks....yeah every time I think about doing the trade I just keep thinking "you won't have those anymore". I am starting again to lean towards not doing this, and just saving money and buying one in the future. It's nice to know though, if I did need emergency cash, it's just a phone call away.
Old 12 March 2021, 06:15 AM   #38
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
That is low if you are selling to an end-user but very fair if that is a dealer offering you that.
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 06:27 AM   #39
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Here's something to consider. If someone handed you $38k, could you buy the watches you're talking about today? If the answer's no, well, then think about that before you pull the trigger.

Obviously, trade in value's going to be lower than retail, but still, anytime you trade a watch, unless you absolutely despise it and never want to see it again, you run the risk of buying it back at some point. Which is always more painful.

The answer? Keep your trades to a strictly one for one basis. In your case, I would trade the DJ. But three for one? Nope.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 06:27 AM   #40
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
I also like this DD40 model, if I were you I would not part with all 3. Probably sell two only and save up the rest while you wait for it. You mentioned 7 to 9 months.
Also, I would not sell now. I'd wait till the rumored releases in April and potential price increase. We don't know yet, but supposedly if there is a price increase, the value of your watches will go up and that will help offset (partially) the increase on the DD.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 07:14 AM   #41
yesnaya
"TRF" Member

None of the 3 you are giving up will be discontinued any time soon. Just make sure the money is right and do what you want. Shop around - If your 3 watches are worth $40k, great you have an extra $2k.

If you sell all 3 and buy the DD40 and feel like you are missing the previous setup, you can always sell the DD40 and buy them back (they are not hard to get - 2 TT and a DJ41). I think 1 amazing watch is nice... but I also think its nice to switch it up sometimes.... so whether you SHOULD do it or not I cant help you. But whether you CAN do it or not... yeah pretty easily no sweat.
yesnaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 08:45 AM   #42
tmoy810
"TRF" Member

It really depends what you are comfortable wearing more often. For example, I 95 percent of the time I wear my sports models. I dress very casually. This could be the complete opposite for you.

Does your current Day Date get more wrist time than you other watches? If so I would do the 3 for one trade. With the current market, it makes it a lot easier to trade your watches, only losing tax is not that big of a deal. 5 years ago if you wanted to trade in 2 two tones and a Datejust, you would probably not be happy with the offer.
tmoy810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 09:00 AM   #43
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Not my taste, I would keep the 3 you have...
Old 12 March 2021, 10:11 AM   #44
Sephiroth
"TRF" Member

Well for starters it is absolutely not worth taking a bath on the pieces you just acquired, even if it is tax.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 10:11 AM   #45
squall1
"TRF" Member

I'll come at it from a slightly different angle that doesn't really factor return on investment because this approach almost always means losing money, but do you enjoy the chase? For me, I have fun trying to decide what's next and doing the research and hunting for it. I value that time for it's recreational value because I enjoy watches in general, the hobby of it.

If I was absolutely sure that the DD was my grail, I might do this trade and enjoy the DD while I planned how I wanted to build my new collection around it.
squall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 10:23 AM   #46
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
I would do the deal in a heartbeat and not look back
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 10:27 AM   #47
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Just reach out to DSW, Takuya, etc. to see if you’re within range.

Good info
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 10:33 AM   #48
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Not bad, and as said already, it's nice and easy to unload them all at once and be done with it. Also, spend a few minutes and get a couple other estimates.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 11:13 AM   #49
clickingdru
Banned

I wouldn't do it, your 3 watches are sweet to own and i think the price is a bit low.
clickingdru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 11:41 AM   #50
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

I do enjoy the hunt for a new watch, for all 4 watches I bought in the last year and a half (I traded my white dial/smooth bezel/oyster DJ41 for the blue dial/fluted/jubilee DJ41 plus cash about a month ago) I watched every YouTube video I could find, even the ones I couldn't understand, and always was super excited when I got the text that another watch came in. To understand my journey with Rolex watches, here's a brief history and thinking behind my current collection:

Started with my dad's DJ36 YG. I had it serviced and cleaned up and wore it when going out while using my Tag as daily beater. While that was nice, it never truly felt like my Rolex since I got it from my dad. Also, while bringing it in to have it serviced, I for the first time got a good look at what the new watches look like, and the blue YG Sub caught my eye (this was in 2018, they had lots of inventory, had Subs, Explorer I's several Airkings and countless TT DJ's along with a nice variety of DD40s). I went home and checked out the Rolex website. At first I focused on just stainless steel models, not the black sub though which is the gateway watch to the Rolex drug for many. I went back to another dealer and tried on some OP39's and they just didn't do it for me. So back to the Rolex site I went fiddling with TT Datejust 41s....once I configured one I thought I'd like, I compared it price wise to a TT Bluesy...it was almost identical. I figured I could never afford the full gold one, so this one will do. No one had one in stock during that time so I went on a wait list and just 7 days later, my current AD called and I bought it.

Covid came around and I never went out anymore, and I didn't want to wear the bluesy for work, and I got tired of my Tag, so I thought it would be nice to have a daily Rolex to wear....long story short....I got the DJ41 White stick dial/smooth/oyster. Figured it's a nice "not in your face" watch and my AD happened to have one. While buying it, I noticed the Rootbeer on my SA's hand.....so I had to have one. Watched videos, obsessed over it, and 5 months later got the call. Due to Covid, I never wear it while going out. It was the first watch I got to unbox from the coffin so I wanted to keep it as pristine as possible, using my Dad's watch or my Bluesy instead the few times I did go out.

I then got tired of the white DJ41, wanted to add a jubilee bracelet first, but then was told by SA that they have a blue/jubilee/stick/fluted bezel DJ41 coming in, so I traded for that one. I figured it's the closest thing looks wise to a DD40.

But....seeing the RG DD40 Olive all over YouTube and here, just really makes me want it. I guess some thought was put into my collection, but the addiction has started, and the vintageness of my Dad's watch, while nice, just makes me want the robustness in the form of a new DD. The DD40, along with the YG Bluesy were always my dream watches, but the 40k price tag just kept them out of reach. By buying all the cheaper, yet popular models, I worked my way up to the 40k number, and I guess that's what makes me want to do the trade. Then I flip back to liking the variety. I think rushing anything is a bad idea, so, lets see what happens in April, watch the market some more, and go from there.

I know, I am crazy...thanks for reading if you made it this far. And thanks for everyones input!
Old 12 March 2021, 11:47 AM   #51
Ohiorolex
"TRF" Member

Can you clarify your watch wearing habits...are these three watches part of your daily rotation? If so trading these watches for a watch you would not wear to work and not wear around your family is like trading down. You would then be ok wearing a quartz tag most of the time? I would rather have watches I like a lot that I enjoy frequently than a grail watch I am embarrassed to wear because it might make or my friends,family or coworkers self conscious.
Ohiorolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 11:53 AM   #52
JackPine
"TRF" Member

You are giving away three nice watches - one with an great bracelet - for one watch. Think about it from a physical standpoint. Three for one ????

Three Rolex movements for one Rolex movement
Three Rolex bracelets for one Rolex bracelet
Three Rolex watches for one Rolex watch

It doesn't add up to me.
JackPine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 12:24 PM   #53
peterpl
Banned

As an owner of this watch I dont know that I would do that trade if I was completely honest. Your just buying into the hype of everything Green. LOL

Its nice but is it THAT nice to give up 3 beautiful pieces? I dont think so.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 12:56 PM   #54
patrickjb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 126600

Yes, enabled.

patrickjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 01:24 PM   #55
HippoPAPAmus
"TRF" Member

Is this a good offer for my watches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannySDG View Post

But....seeing the RG DD40 Olive all over YouTube and here, just really makes me want it. I guess some thought was put into my collection, but the addiction has started, and the vintageness of my Dad's watch, while nice, just makes me want the robustness in the form of a new DD. The DD40, along with the YG Bluesy were always my dream watches, but the 40k price tag just kept them out of reach. By buying all the cheaper, yet popular models, I worked my way up to the 40k number, and I guess that's what makes me want to do the trade. Then I flip back to liking the variety. I think rushing anything is a bad idea, so, lets see what happens in April, watch the market some more, and go from there.

I know, I am crazy...thanks for reading if you made it this far. And thanks for everyones input!
Ha! I knew you’d be thinking about the 228235 before too long, Manny. The Rolex brand is addictive and the Everose models are trouble. You start out innocently trying to justify a TT Rootbeer and the next thing you know you’re lusting uncontrollably over a DD40. Not judging, just already plowed that road. Good luck on your decision.

HippoPAPAmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 01:29 PM   #56
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Sometimes quantity isn’t everything

Old 12 March 2021, 01:36 PM   #57
peterpl
Banned

Whats with Rose Gold at the moment?

Why is everything RG so hot now????? Rose Gold prices are crazy high.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 02:03 PM   #58
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

My current watch wearing habit... DJ41 every day except weekends. Lately, for going out it has been the Rootbeer...I think I have worn it 4 times now since buying it in October of last year! I am probably going to wear it tomorrow as well for going out.

I'd go back to the Tag as a daily beater until I can get another DJ, just like the one I have now if I were to grab onto the RG DD40 Olive. Like I said, I always just wanted to wait until I have the funds for it, but now, with all the rumors of it being discontinued, I feel like I am running out of time. But as many of you have pointed out correctly, April is just a month away, the price might go up, or it might be cancelled all together.

I have decided to keep my watches and just wait for the next great thing, unless I come across a killer deal with an AD having one of these puppies in the safe and who'd be willing to do an even trade, then I'd be tempted.

I appreciate all the great feedback.....and the pics....

Thanks everyone!
Old 12 March 2021, 02:11 PM   #59
sgwatch
"TRF" Member

Here's one comment that I haven't seen in this thread. Have you seen the RG/green DD40 live? I thought it would be fantastic, but when I saw it live, I couldn't read the time that well. The contrast of dial and hour numerals just wasn't there. I'm sure it is because I'm getting older, but it's something to consider.
sgwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 02:14 PM   #60
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiorolex View Post
Can you clarify your watch wearing habits...are these three watches part of your daily rotation? If so trading these watches for a watch you would not wear to work and not wear around your family is like trading down. You would then be ok wearing a quartz tag most of the time? I would rather have watches I like a lot that I enjoy frequently than a grail watch I am embarrassed to wear because it might make or my friends,family or coworkers self conscious.
When I only had the Bluesy, I was wearing the Tag every day for work, I used it only for going out. I don't have Co-workers, I directly deal with my customers, so having a 40k watch on my arm probably doesn't make the best impression. That was the reason for getting the white dial DJ41, no one would ever expect it to be a Rolex. My friends don't care what watch I wear, they're all aware of my obsession, and 2 of them started the watch game as well as a result. I traded the white DJ for the blue one because the opportunity came up and because the blue one, while flashier, still easily stays of the radar and because I love the way it looks. IF I'd get the RG DD40, there WILL be another daily DJ41, I just want to manage my funds responsibly and the only reason I am looking into this is the possibility of discontinuation of the watch.