The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10 July 2021, 02:25 AM   #31
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
used to wear PM on the subway even with sleeves rolled up. haven't commuted since covid (have literally taken the subway 1 time since march 2020). i personally feel a bit weird being out in the city in some neighborhoods, but i think part of it is just because i've just been home for so long. there are a lot less people out and about now especially in the evening so it feels a bit more sketchy to me
Huh? The streets feel as crowded as ever to me. Times Square area (which I avoid at all costs) feels maybe a little bit slower (but still packed), but the Village, Chelsea, Flatiron, Soho, etc. all seem as busy as ever to me.
Old 10 July 2021, 02:40 AM   #32
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeysub93 View Post
I totally understand the context of your use of this word, just find the double entendre hilarious as there are many "baddies" that scope the wrists of men looking for a Rolex crown.
Sorry. I must have missed that one, but I’m often slow on the uptake. Sometimes I unintentionally make a double entendre. What was the double entendre?

The gist of my remark was that a Rolex watch is more universally known and easily identified among the general populace. NYC, like London or Paris, has its share of baddies or bad actors or the criminally inclined that have an eye for what’s on your wrist, and given an opportune moment or circumstance, will relieve you of your valued possession.

There was a time pre-Covid, that I felt safe to wear any watch on the subway, and I did this for years on a daily basis without much thought. But since Covid, the subways (and the city in general) has become less safe. It’s gotten somewhat better recently with more people on the street and more cops patrolling the subways, but there’s still definitely more of an edgy vibe now than in recent years. Hopefully that will change with our incoming mayor who takes office in January.
Old 10 July 2021, 02:47 AM   #33
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
Sorry. I must have missed that one, but I’m often slow on the uptake. Sometimes I unintentionally make a double entendre. What was the double entendre?

The gist of my remark was that a Rolex watch is more universally known and easily identified among the general populace. NYC, like London or Paris, has its share of baddies or bad actors or the criminally inclined that have an eye for what’s on your wrist, and given an opportune moment or circumstance, will relieve you of your valued possession.

There was a time pre-Covid, that I felt safe to wear any watch on the subway, and I did this for years on a daily basis without much thought. But since Covid, the subways (and the city in general) has become less safe. It’s gotten somewhat better recently with more people on the street and more cops patrolling the subways, but there’s still definitely more of an edgy vibe now than in recent years. Hopefully that will change with our incoming mayor who takes office in January.
Search for "baddies" on Google Images

Urban Dictionary may provide some entertaining results as well!
Old 10 July 2021, 02:58 AM   #34
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

NYC as a whole is not safe generally, but that’s my
Opinion and many would find it to be comfortable for their tastes. Would I go around with a full diamond “buss down” piece? Probably not. Would I wear a Daytona and not think anything of it? Sure. Just use common sense. Even if you’re in a good area and stop to take a huge wrist shot and make a scene, it attracts the kind of attention that could result in a problem. Just be smart. Regular watches likely aren’t gonna be snatched off your wrist in Manhattan.
Old 10 July 2021, 03:00 AM   #35
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid1988 View Post
Huh? The streets feel as crowded as ever to me. Times Square area (which I avoid at all costs) feels maybe a little bit slower (but still packed), but the Village, Chelsea, Flatiron, Soho, etc. all seem as busy as ever to me.
dunno, i was in the village a few weeks ago and around 9pm it felt much more dead than i remember. was a really nice day too. maybe it was just that particular area, because i know midtown is pretty packed still (i remember 34th street being packed even in the winter). but yeah like i said i haven't been in the city much and before this it was basically always mon-fri where it was absolutely jam packed, and now it always feels more of a saturday kind of vibe
Old 10 July 2021, 03:03 AM   #36
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeysub93 View Post
Search for "baddies" on Google Images

Urban Dictionary may provide some entertaining results as well!
Oh. I get it. You’re referring to thots. Certainly no shortage of them in NYC.
Old 10 July 2021, 03:12 AM   #37
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I haven’t been to New York since November 2019 but made over 20 trips there since 2010. I never felt uneasy about wearing Rolex or any other watch, the usual mantras of situational awareness followed.
Hoping to return this November and I don’t expect to take any additional precautions. I have lived in a big city all my life and am used to being around crowds. If this subject eats at you, leave your watches at home.
Old 10 July 2021, 04:41 AM   #38
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

I'm a native New Yawker, lived in Riverdale & Battery Park City and worked in lower Manhattan. Saw it all from the 70s to the 00s.

Stayed in midtown for the first time in a few years in 2019 and was absolutely blown away by degree and rapidity of the backslide. It is quite noticeably less safe - a lot more vagrants, muttering mentally ill, squatters and open drug activity. Stink of human waste in areas where that was never allowed, even in the 70s. The police obviously have been ordered not to disturb the bums so it all goes on in plain sight.

I've lived most of my life around the craziness of NYC and know how to navigate it. All I can say I felt distinctly less safe than I have in the past 25 years. I know statistically NY remains one of the safest large cities in the world, but it is really going downhill fast. I'd say its wise to exercise some caution based on what I saw, and its markedly worse now.
Old 10 July 2021, 04:56 AM   #39
Alcibiades
"TRF" Member

I wear a 126333, which is a pretty shiny watch. I live in New York and take the subway regularly.

1) I usually wear my watch under my sleeve on the subway/in platform when in a shirtsleeve
2) If wearing a short sleeve shirt, I am more likely to put my left hand in my pocket
3) Only once have I not worn my watch when I was going to a certain area of town; I have worn it there since

Just be aware of your surroundings
Old 10 July 2021, 06:09 AM   #40
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
I'm a native New Yawker, lived in Riverdale & Battery Park City and worked in lower Manhattan. Saw it all from the 70s to the 00s.

Stayed in midtown for the first time in a few years in 2019 and was absolutely blown away by degree and rapidity of the backslide. It is quite noticeably less safe - a lot more vagrants, muttering mentally ill, squatters and open drug activity. Stink of human waste in areas where that was never allowed, even in the 70s. The police obviously have been ordered not to disturb the bums so it all goes on in plain sight.

I've lived most of my life around the craziness of NYC and know how to navigate it. All I can say I felt distinctly less safe than I have in the past 25 years. I know statistically NY remains one of the safest large cities in the world, but it is really going downhill fast. I'd say its wise to exercise some caution based on what I saw, and its markedly worse now.
So even though NYC is statistically — i.e., factually — safer than it was when you grew up here, it just “feels” less safe to you? Lol ok. Don’t let facts get in the way of your opinion, I guess.
Old 10 July 2021, 06:17 AM   #41
Fanofsteel
"TRF" Member

I’ve been all over the planet except for Asia, Africa, and South America. All types of places, wearing homages. Either crooks don’t like Sub homages (Aquaracer with cyclops circled the globe several times), or they see me as a high-risk rip-off, since I look like an action movie villain :). Either way, I’ve been fortunate. Reading these threads makes my think twice about circling the globe wearing an actual Sub.
Old 10 July 2021, 06:24 AM   #42
Time-After-Time
"TRF" Member

I haven't changed my habits in LA but I do avoid the homeless encampments at all costs.
Old 10 July 2021, 06:50 AM   #43
jd57
"TRF" Member

Rarely risk my Day-Date or Seadweller in the big Apple. I often wear a digital watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 397B99C8-52B3-4C36-9290-B8C629AA16DC.jpeg (131.8 KB, 247 views)
Old 10 July 2021, 06:58 AM   #44
bob sims
Banned

Other than Staten Island I would not go on the streets of NYC right now.
It's not Dinkens time yet but it IS edging that way unfortunately.
Maybe take a bus or train in take a cab to a theater and get the **** out of town before you get robbed or worse. I would wear my one of my Timex self winders from high school.
$20 retail I believe.
Old 10 July 2021, 07:05 AM   #45
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
So even though NYC is statistically — i.e., factually — safer than it was when you grew up here, it just “feels” less safe to you? Lol ok. Don’t let facts get in the way of your opinion, I guess.
Shootings are up 166% this year over last year.No more stop and frisks. No bail required for all but the most violent crimes, defund the police is the dominant philosophy. That's enough for me to advise staying away. There were more murders in Chicago (19) over holiday weekend then in my suburb of 80K people in my lifetime-over 60 years. Not missing the diversity a bit thank you.
Old 10 July 2021, 08:00 AM   #46
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
With no international travel/tourism and WFH still in place, foot traffic is down 50-75%. Commuter transit into Manhattan is also still down by at least 50%.
Old 10 July 2021, 08:11 AM   #47
MDMH
"TRF" Member

Maybe Hodinkee can do a video on "How to survive a week on the wrist in NYC"
Old 10 July 2021, 08:25 AM   #48
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post

Agree. In the airline industry since 1999, NY base. Sadly have seen the city degrade over the last 18 months. I live in SF and the same is happening here. Many stores now closing early due to ongoing thefts. I feel better leaving the expensive watches at home when I travel: they are insured but still not worth risking my life over.

Ian Fleming
Old 10 July 2021, 08:29 AM   #49
Oscar2010
"TRF" Member

I only wear a cheap watch now. I frequently take the bus & subway 5 days a week.
$450 bamford, which i would happily give up should the need arise..
The city seems to be full of more deranged folk right now.
Old 10 July 2021, 09:35 AM   #50
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob sims View Post
Shootings are up 166% this year over last year.No more stop and frisks. No bail required for all but the most violent crimes, defund the police is the dominant philosophy. That's enough for me to advise staying away. There were more murders in Chicago (19) over holiday weekend then in my suburb of 80K people in my lifetime-over 60 years. Not missing the diversity a bit thank you.
Ordinarily I’d point out the poor logic underpinning the bolded (i.e., increased crime year over year does not equal terrible crime), but the rest of your post makes pretty clear that your “facts” come from propaganda television, so I’ll just leave you to your echo chamber.
Old 10 July 2021, 09:40 AM   #51
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ordinarily I’d point out the faulty logic underpinning the bolded (i.e., increased crime year over year does not equal terrible crime), but the rest of your post makes pretty clear that your “facts” come from propaganda television, so I’ll just leave you to your echo chamber.
Facts are facts. Its correct to point out that just a pure percentage increase doesn't prove anything. 1 to 2 is a 100% increase. But the number of crimes has substantially gone up because we are talking about much larger baseline numbers. The robberies on the subways. Broad daylight shootings where innocent bystanders are hit. Brazen crime in the heart of Times Square where there are police everywhere. People suffering from mental illness allowed to roam the subways accosting people and shoving them in the tracks. Its the safest big city in the world, but that doesn't make it safe. Again, safety is subjective. For the people that tune it out and aren't afraid of getting hurt- they're gonna say its safe.

The chances of getting your watch ripped off your wrist in NYC are low, unless you're wearing a fully blinged out piece. Your chance of being a victim of crime unrelated to your watch is higher.
Old 10 July 2021, 09:43 AM   #52
agsstructures
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

I saw a Lange Dato on the 4/5 going into Grand Central from Brooklyn. i think wearing a Rolex is totally fine. I wear my LV daily
Old 10 July 2021, 09:45 AM   #53
shredder
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But still far safer than most large US cities
Old 10 July 2021, 10:30 AM   #54
mbalmz

based on the tenor this discussion has taken, I feel compelled to chime in with a thought that isn’t directly responsive to the original question. and that is:

what’s interesting to me here is the number of commenters chiming in with strong opinions despite apparently not living in this city.

as an nyc resident of 15 years who’s just doubled down down and bought an apartment here a week ago, I can definitively say two things:

(1) it would never occur to me to comment (at all, much less authoritatively) on the safety—or lack thereof—of going about life in a city in which I don’t currently live; and

(2) there’s no place on the planet I’d rather live than nyc (which, having grown up in boston and maintained my sports-fan allegiances, somewhat hurts to admit ).
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
Old 10 July 2021, 10:45 AM   #55
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
based on the tenor this discussion has taken, I feel compelled to chime in with a thought that isn’t directly responsive to the original question. and that is:

what’s interesting to me here is the number of commenters chiming in with strong opinions despite apparently not living in this city.

as an nyc resident of 15 years who’s just doubled down down and bought an apartment here a week ago, I can definitively say two things:

(1) it would never occur to me to comment (at all, much less authoritatively) on the safety—or lack thereof—of going about life in a city in which I don’t currently live; and

(2) there’s no place on the planet I’d rather live than nyc (which, having grown up in boston and maintained my sports-fan allegiances, somewhat hurts to admit ).
+1000

It’s admittedly funny to hear people living in California, South Carolina, Rhode Island, etc. parroting what they hear on propaganda television about NYC safety as if they are informed on the matter. But I think we can just chalk it up to jealousy.

Congrats on the new place! Smart choice.
Old 10 July 2021, 10:50 AM   #56
spikep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Better than Dallas recently ...
How could this be funny? Your funny is someone else’s tragedy.
16610 LN, 16610 LV, 126610 LV, 126622 Rhodium, 126710 BLRO jubilee, 126710 BLRO oyster, 126719 Meteorite, 116710 BLNR, 126711 CHNR, 126715 CHNR, 326934 BLACK, 326934 GREEN, 216570 BLACK, 116500LN WHITE, 116500LN BLACK, 126710 VTNR jubilee
Old 10 July 2021, 10:51 AM   #57
mbalmz

Quote:
+1000

It’s admittedly funny to hear people living in California, South Carolina, Rhode Island, etc. parroting what they hear on propaganda television about NYC safety as if they are informed on the matter. But I think we can just chalk it up to jealousy.

Congrats on the new place! Smart choice.

thanks!
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
Old 10 July 2021, 11:45 AM   #58
Pronto0322
"TRF" Member

I work in the Bronx and have been traveling around this city pretty much my whole life. Trains, Buses, subway etc. I’ve never really felt unsafe. I mean if you are walking through crotona park at 2am yeah something might happen. The most uneasy I’ve ever felt and would not have a expensive watch showing would be 1. Termini Station in Rome and 2. Napoli central.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 July 2021, 12:45 PM   #59
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
I am in NYC occasionally for work and it's a dump. Sadly, half the stores are vacant, homeless and zombies are everywhere and the streets are littered with trash. Everything that made it great is long gone. Classy people who dress nice- gone. Fashionable clothing boutiques - gone. Excellent restaurants - gone. Famous Comedy clubs - gone. Amazing shopping experience - gone. All that's left is hideous scaffolding on buildings, empty stores, subways that get flooded, graffiti and crime. Hence, I have no reason to wear a watch in NYC.

Old 10 July 2021, 12:55 PM   #60
bremersm
Banned

I just love how the two most liberal cities in the world have residences that are too scared to wear watches.
Closed Thread