The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 August 2021, 07:34 AM   #31
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

Some customers may direct their anger at the AD, particularly if they feel mistreated, but others will direct their anger at Rolex and purchase other brands from the AD instead. I have no problem purchasing another piece if necessary, provided it's a piece that I would enjoy
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 07:45 AM   #32
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

If you can't get a Rolex at first and you actually like watches rather than just being a status-hunter / flipper (delete as appropriate), it's the right way to gain some respect with your AD. Buy an IWC, Tudor, Omega or JLC if you like them - I wear my Tudor in the garden but am cautious with my Sub. Talk watches with the AD, make them realise you're not a flipper or pure status-w***er and then your time will come - probably far sooner than you think...........
Whilst I love Rolex, I really can't understand the "Rolex is the only watch" philosophy. Horology is about the whole spectrum of watches and far more interesting IMHO.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 08:23 AM   #33
johnwigan
Banned

Absolutely not. I would buy elsewhere. I can't imagine what kind of person would shop with a business that tells them to their face that they don't think much of them and will not provide them with a first class service. They would not receive one penny of custom from me, ever. I would purchase elsewhere, even if it cost more, - but where I am treated with the respect.

I can't believe what other people will put up with. Have some self-esteem and self-respect. Good Lord.

Sadly, those people who are prepared to accept being treated as second class citizens, will probably get that level of service. If you give off that vibe, not good. At the end of the day an AD does not know what your bank balance is, it is just the impression you give. I think that determines if you will be one of those people who post on here that they've been waiting two years for a watch, and still waiting. Whilst others actually get the watch they want. This is in the UK at least. No idea about America.
johnwigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 08:32 AM   #34
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

I have a friend who walked into an AD to ask about buying a steel Sub.

They said they didn't have one in stock but offered him the JC Deepsea instead at MSRP, provided be also bought a JLC and IWC so as to establish in immediate purchase history with them.

He politely declined...but then again, he didn't quite like the Deepsea to begin with.

As for me, I've bought Sinns, Omegas, a Tudor and a Breitling from my Rolex AD.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 08:58 AM   #35
Calborn
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, Daytonas
Yes, because Rolex isn't the only manufacturer I enjoy watches from.
Calborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 08:58 AM   #36
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If my Rolex AD had a non Rolex watch in stock that I particularly wanted and they offered enough discount, I would buy it. I can't think of a reason why I would not. I can't speak for anyone else.

My AD usually comes up with a good enough price to beat the grey outlets. On the rare occasion that hey don't, I go somewhere else. I don't understand all this revenge/payback/hurt feelings anger. But I guess each case is different and you have to be there. If the tone of a relationship with any business was that toxic, we would have parted company already.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 09:02 AM   #37
Snerks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwigan View Post
Absolutely not. I would buy elsewhere. I can't imagine what kind of person would shop with a business that tells them to their face that they don't think much of them and will not provide them with a first class service. They would not receive one penny of custom from me, ever. I would purchase elsewhere, even if it cost more, - but where I am treated with the respect.

I can't believe what other people will put up with. Have some self-esteem and self-respect. Good Lord.

Sadly, those people who are prepared to accept being treated as second class citizens, will probably get that level of service. If you give off that vibe, not good. At the end of the day an AD does not know what your bank balance is, it is just the impression you give. I think that determines if you will be one of those people who post on here that they've been waiting two years for a watch, and still waiting. Whilst others actually get the watch they want. This is in the UK at least. No idea about America.
Imagine thinking an AD not selling you a 35k watch for 13k means they are treating you with disrespect, or like a second class citizen. What on earth.
Snerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 09:05 AM   #38
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
If they offered a significant discount on the non-Rolex watch then I would.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 09:32 AM   #39
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy007 View Post
If they offered a significant discount on the non-Rolex watch then I would.
So a blue Royal Oak or olive Nautilus at MSRP and you’d tell them to f-off, right?

dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 09:46 AM   #40
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
I'm cheap, so buying any non rolex watch new is not something i would normally consider.
I have no issues with buying pre owned if the price is reflective of that fact.

That having been said, if i wanted to buy an IWC (for example) and a my local Rolex AD had it in stock, I would enquire about the piece.
If they price they offer me is around 10%-15% higher than i could find pre owned from a dealer then i'd probably buy it from my AD as the 10% premium supports my local store and in these times of "relationship building" it never hurts to have an extra purchase on your customer record
However, if the AD was 30%+ more expensive than i can find somewhere else, then i'm walking out and buying online/elsewhere.

As much as i'd love to cultivate a relationship with an AD through legitimate purchases, I'm not prepared to hand over 20% more than i need to just to do that.
I typically only buy one or (maybe) two watches a year, usually in the $5-$10k range so i'm not the sort of customer that is going to be offered a Daytona based on previous purchases
The money i'd save buying IWCs, Panerais and Zeniths pre owned rather than new from a Rolex AD would likely cover the Grey Market Premium on the Pepsi I want.

I totally get that some people may not shop at their local AD because they refused to sell them a Rolex at one point, but in this day and age, taking that attitude means you wont taking your business anywhere that sells Rolex
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 10:11 AM   #41
kpeco
Banned

Watch: 116600 SD4K
Nope
kpeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 10:41 AM   #42
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
"Won't" sell to me as I be not worthy, Vs "Can't" due to eleventeen billion in line, in front of me:

"Won't" - well that's a 2 way street.
"Can't"- if the price is best for a watch I want, then sure.
Old 24 August 2021, 11:26 AM   #43
al7391z
"TRF" Member

That’s a hard no
al7391z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 11:38 AM   #44
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Depends.
Old 24 August 2021, 12:18 PM   #45
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
So a blue Royal Oak or olive Nautilus at MSRP and you’d tell them to f-off, right?

I would want to since I don’t care for either one but I can’t due to resale value
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 12:25 PM   #46
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
To answer the question, "can't", yes I would... "won't", no I wouldn't

In reality, no. I don't buy consolation watches. If I want a particular piece, I'll either wait for it, or go grey.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 12:43 PM   #47
Beto737
"TRF" Member

Not a chance
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 01:02 PM   #48
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwigan View Post

With respect, the numerous posts from decent watch-lovers in the UK imply that there is ZERO way you can walk into a Rolex AD with no prior purchase history and get on a meaningful list for a Pepsi / Daytona / SS Sports in any time soon. The "never, never" list, maybe - at least that might reassure you you're "not being treated as a second class citizen" - when in fact you are. Purchase history - first class!! In the UK, Australia or the USA.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 01:13 PM   #49
new_yorker917
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Nope
new_yorker917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 02:17 PM   #50
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Personally, I wouldn’t. But I’m lucky to have great options with local Rolex ADs, so it hasn’t been an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 August 2021, 03:14 PM   #51
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tissot Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexSimon View Post
If you can't get a Rolex at first and you actually like watches rather than just being a status-hunter / flipper (delete as appropriate), it's the right way to gain some respect with your AD. Buy an IWC, Tudor, Omega or JLC if you like them - I wear my Tudor in the garden but am cautious with my Sub. Talk watches with the AD, make them realise you're not a flipper or pure status-w***er and then your time will come - probably far sooner than you think...........
Whilst I love Rolex, I really can't understand the "Rolex is the only watch" philosophy. Horology is about the whole spectrum of watches and far more interesting IMHO.
Excellent post!

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 03:18 PM   #52
GradyPhilpott

Watch: Tissot Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singslinger View Post
I have a friend who walked into an AD to ask about buying a steel Sub.

They said they didn't have one in stock but offered him the JC Deepsea instead at MSRP, provided be also bought a JLC and IWC so as to establish in immediate purchase history with them.

He politely declined...but then again, he didn't quite like the Deepsea to begin with.

As for me, I've bought Sinns, Omegas, a Tudor and a Breitling from my Rolex AD.
I would laugh at a deal like that myself.

All my comments in this regard, presuppose and honest dealership, not an extortionist.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 05:07 PM   #53
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hark View Post
Just wondering whether in some cases a Rolex AD may lose non-Rolex watch business simply because the AD can’t (or won’t) fulfill people’s Rolex requests.
'A Rolex'? Any Rolex? A specific Rolex?

Is there some AD/beef you're not telling us about?
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 05:09 PM   #54
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexPatekCartier
I have two AD’s. One has been mc amazing to h my in the last 5 years, getting me coveted models and they have other watch lines, incl Patek. Try two
more difficult Patel’s come also from them. I would but from them anything else I need and I’m sure at good price or fair price, so yes would buy other brands from them.

The other AD has not been as good to get harder to her Rolex, but I still had spent a good over 100k of both watches/jewelry., and all my repairs, and battery changes, and referrals i had sent and know owners, manager, etc., etc.—yet haven’t been not so “honest” or truly care to allocating pieces I wanted, that happened to be harder, so I won’t waste my time , but only use them for repairs, and occasionally other purchases if I want or have a good deal, but won’t go out of my way to give them other brands purchases.

In other words, an AD treats me decently and they get my business, treat me so so, kind of game-playing, and I will respond accordingly.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 06:58 PM   #55
Peter992
"TRF" Member

I have been waiting for a Rolex Datejust Jubilee and a Daytona from my AD since 2019. I still do not own even one Rolex. So I bought Patek and JLC instead.
Peter992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 07:32 PM   #56
Goin2drt
Banned

Can’t or won’t completely different. If they can’t then it is not their fault so yes I would buy something else from them if they had what I wanted. Won’t sell you a Rolex because they don’t think you are a big enough customer, then they can go pound sand and I would take my business elsewhere.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 07:33 PM   #57
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
No, I’d find another dealer
Old 24 August 2021, 07:33 PM   #58
LA_LEC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
No F-ing way!
Old 24 August 2021, 09:46 PM   #59
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
For me it is about the watches. I don't take it personal and I always act in my own best interest. I don't get emotional and get my feelings hurt, it is just business. Do I like the current situation on availability, no, but such is the market. I will not let the fact I can't get a hot model from my AD stop me from getting a desirable model from them that I want.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 10:10 PM   #60
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
I sure as heck would.

We have one of the largest Rolex ADs in the country here, and they sell other brands that I’m equally interested in.

Problem is, they won’t sell me the Ed White 321 either
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote