The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 September 2021, 12:08 PM   #31
TudorNewb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
Put a wanted post up in the marketplace. You may get one for a reasonable sum. Many 7021s have that bubbling degrading texture. To me a bad bubbler is not worth more than 300-500 but I enjoyed mine in the watch. Some say that it sheds material into the movement but I never really cared. My Tudors keep only moderate time at best even when freshly serviced by Rolex.
This is a great idea, i'm sure it'll take some time but maybe i'll get lucky
TudorNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 12:11 PM   #32
TudorNewb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
Insert is not aftermarket, it is a late 80s mid font that someone drilled out and put in a later pearl - not uncommon.

Dial you can find eventually with patience - almost certainly a service dial but that's OK.

Great find - would love to have something like that from the family.
Appreciate you, thanks for the info!

I'm definitely grateful I ended up with it.
Old 9 September 2021, 12:29 PM   #33
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Insert is not aftermarket, it is a late 80s mid font that someone drilled out and put in a later pearl - not uncommon.

Dial you can find eventually with patience - almost certainly a service dial but that's OK.

Great find - would love to have something like that from the family.
You are probably right - whenever i see metal surrounds on the lume pip, I just assume aftermarket. Two many Mark versions for these bezels I just get lazy to check. Bad habit. I need to improve on that.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 01:26 PM   #34
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by TudorNewb View Post
Appreciate you, thanks for the info!

I'm definitely grateful I ended up with it.
If you’re in Boise, Idaho, I’d consider calling Hal Davis downtown to see when their watchmaker is in and available and have him take a look at it and give you his thoughts. Don’t just show up, but call and see when he’s free. They recently became a RSC, and I had my Yachtmaster served there this year. I recently bought a vintage (1977) Tudor Princess mini-Sub, and brought it there for the watchmaker to evaluate and adjust.

I haven’t had any vintage Tudor serviced by him (my Tudor doesn’t need it yet, and he said he would send my vintage Tudor out to Rolex for service), but he is the most approachable watchmaker I’ve ever met, and really enjoys discussing watches. He should be able to tell you what work is needed to get your watch in working condition versus doing a restoration.

Good luck! Whatever you do, it’s a very cool watch, and you honor your father’s memory by getting it to work and wearing it.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2021, 01:49 AM   #35
TudorNewb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopie View Post
If you’re in Boise, Idaho, I’d consider calling Hal Davis downtown to see when their watchmaker is in and available and have him take a look at it and give you his thoughts. Don’t just show up, but call and see when he’s free. They recently became a RSC, and I had my Yachtmaster served there this year. I recently bought a vintage (1977) Tudor Princess mini-Sub, and brought it there for the watchmaker to evaluate and adjust.

I haven’t had any vintage Tudor serviced by him (my Tudor doesn’t need it yet, and he said he would send my vintage Tudor out to Rolex for service), but he is the most approachable watchmaker I’ve ever met, and really enjoys discussing watches. He should be able to tell you what work is needed to get your watch in working condition versus doing a restoration.

Good luck! Whatever you do, it’s a very cool watch, and you honor your father’s memory by getting it to work and wearing it.
I am in Boise!
It's already getting serviced by a watchmaker that I trust but I will maybe contact this guy regardless to see what he has to say about my watch.

Thank you
Old 10 September 2021, 05:14 AM   #36
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
I am in Boise!
It's already getting serviced by a watchmaker that I trust but I will maybe contact this guy regardless to see what he has to say about my watch.

Thank you
Don't bring it to someone that is going to send it to RSC. RSC will most likely ignore it, unless it has EXTREME circumstances attached to it.
Old 10 September 2021, 05:27 AM   #37
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
If it's your dad's watch I wouldn't worry about it being the wrong dial.

I would want to restore it ad he had it...
Old 10 September 2021, 06:49 AM   #38
TudorNewb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Don't bring it to someone that is going to send it to RSC. RSC will most likely ignore it, unless it has EXTREME circumstances attached to it.
Yeah after doing some research I read that RSC isn't too kind about watches that aren't 100% genuine. With mine for sure having an aftermarket dial it's not a good idea.
Old 10 September 2021, 06:51 AM   #39
TudorNewb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
If it's your dad's watch I wouldn't worry about it being the wrong dial.

I would want to restore it ad he had it...
I'm sure he would've wanted to have an original dial if he had the money to do it. I don't either but definitely something i'd like to do in the future.
Old 10 September 2021, 07:44 AM   #40
linesiders

Quote:
I'm sure he would've wanted to have an original dial if he had the money to do it. I don't either but definitely something i'd like to do in the future.

In time, acceptable ones will come along. Price for the correct dial will run $1400 - 2500, that's the bad news. The other bad news is that the original watch was almost certainly a Blue Snowflake, so to be correct you will need a blue insert, which will run $700 for a service one to 2K for the original style 1968. Almost impossible to find a black 7021 dial and the blue is usually worth 2K more anyway.

Sooooo, rough numbers - to restore it to original condition is going to run 3500-5000, and you will have a watch worth 8-12K, and sentimentally, worth far more.

I am not trying to discourage you, just be realistic - reach out for any Tudor questions you would have.
Old 10 September 2021, 08:09 AM   #41
TudorNewb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In time, acceptable ones will come along. Price for the correct dial will run $1400 - 2500, that's the bad news. The other bad news is that the original watch was almost certainly a Blue Snowflake, so to be correct you will need a blue insert, which will run $700 for a service one to 2K for the original style 1968. Almost impossible to find a black 7021 dial and the blue is usually worth 2K more anyway.

Sooooo, rough numbers - to restore it to original condition is going to run 3500-5000, and you will have a watch worth 8-12K, and sentimentally, worth far more.

I am not trying to discourage you, just be realistic - reach out for any Tudor questions you would have.
Do you mind if I PM you to pick your brain about this?
Old 10 September 2021, 09:03 AM   #42
linesiders

Quote:
Do you mind if I PM you to pick your brain about this?

Just PM'd you my email.