The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 September 2021, 09:40 AM   #31
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Congratulations!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 10:01 AM   #32
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post
I like it a lot. Before this summer, I did not know much about Cartier and, on first glance, it was not a style I thought would like. But as I learned more, and saw it more, it became more and more appealing.

What I like:

-The hint of blue on the dials and crown
-The fact that you get two free services as part of the purchase price
-That you get TWO extra bracelets as part of the purchase (a brown leather one that comes with the Santos, and then you can choose an alligator one in a color of your choice)
-The quick adjusting steel bracelet that makes it easy to make size changes on your own

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Were you able to get a deal on it? Found it hard to swallow msrp on that one since it’s pretty much the same as a Rolex. However I do like the style, but instead of buying one, I just wear my wife’s sometimes. But don’t tell anyone… I don’t want anyone to know I sometimes wear… quartz
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 10:29 AM   #33
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Were you able to get a deal on it? Found it hard to swallow msrp on that one since it’s pretty much the same as a Rolex. However I do like the style, but instead of buying one, I just wear my wife’s sometimes. But don’t tell anyone… I don’t want anyone to know I sometimes wear… quartz

No, paid straight MSRP at the Cartier Boutique. I also talked with reps at Razny and Marshall Pierce, neither of which had the Santos medium in stock, and neither were able to offer a discount of any kind. I told them I’d wait for them to get it in stock rather than pick it up immediately at the Cartier boutique, but they had to offer some incentive for my time. Neither offered anything, and one even told me - in a completely friendly way - to just go get it at the Cartier boutique.

I hear you on not wanting to pay MSRP for the Cartier, but to be honest, the watch is so great and the extras from the boutique so compelling (eg. extra strap) that I don’t mind.

SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 11:00 AM   #34
dannyp
Banned

It’s a beautiful watch, for sure. And some day I may well add something from Cartier (that’s not quartz…), but it would more likely be something from the Must line (Ronde 36 auto with a bright colored strap comes to mind). At the $6k mark there are still orders I’d rather have.
Old 12 September 2021, 11:20 AM   #35
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
So this wouldn't be the time to mention that, walking through Old Orchard yesterday and saw that CDP had a WG/silver DD36 in the case? Got it, I'll keep that to myself.
Diabolical. Now I’m researching the DD36.
Old 12 September 2021, 12:28 PM   #36
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Diabolical. Now I’m researching the DD36.
I’m not a full-PM guy, but that was a beautiful watch. If someone forced me to wear a gold bracelet watch, it would be that. Was actually surprised, as I think it’s the exact one I saw there in June when walking through. Would have expected it to be long gone.
Old 12 September 2021, 05:31 PM   #37
simon101
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 124270
Love your collection.
simon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 06:28 PM   #38
blackedge
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You got it. Apologies these are not higher quality, but I think you can get a sense of the proportions in these photos. In person, the Explorer is slightly (very slightly) smaller in appearance compared to the 36mm Datejust.

Many thanks! Appreciate it.
blackedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 11:28 PM   #39
Watchline
Banned

Watch: Omega, Hulk
Congrats
Watchline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 11:43 PM   #40
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Cheers and thank you for the comparison with the 36mm DJ. I was wondering how the bracelet/lug differences would look side by side. So hard these days to compare as many AD's do not have the models side by side.
Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 12:20 AM   #41
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Congrats on the new watch!

Quote:
Yes, I definitely need to take a breather, as the summer sprint went beyond Rolex! Here are the other 5 watches I picked up this summer. (Researching watches was basically all I did the past four months - it was a lunatic obsession, which this forum meaningfully contributed to.)

Other than an AP Royal Oak 37mm which is on its way/allocated to me and - down the line - an A. Lange and Sohne (1815 up/down) this should be it for the rest of my life. This is my 50th birthday year, and I wanted to build a watch collection I could enjoy for (hopefully) the next 30-40 years. It was a controlled spending frenzy this summer, which I intend to rapidly slow down so I can enjoy these watches.

-Cartier Santos (Medium)
-Zenith El Primero A385
-Glashutte SeaQ
-Grand Seiko 231
-Breguet Marine 5817

This set of 5 is really good.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 02:35 AM   #42
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is my 50th birthday year, and I wanted to build a watch collection I could enjoy for (hopefully) the next 30-40 years.
Funny how turning 50 have the exact same effect on me…I’m also turning 50 this year and also went on a multi-watch buying sprint. I’m my case, I got three: a Tudor BB GMT, a Rolex OP Date and a Patek 5146G coming soon. I also think that I should take a breather too, but as the others said here on the Forum, it will never be your last watch…

Enjoy your great collection.
Jmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 03:39 AM   #43
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Take a well earned rest.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 03:48 AM   #44
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaster View Post
Funny how turning 50 have the exact same effect on me…I’m also turning 50 this year and also went on a multi-watch buying sprint. I’m my case, I got three: a Tudor BB GMT, a Rolex OP Date and a Patek 5146G coming soon. I also think that I should take a breather too, but as the others said here on the Forum, it will never be your last watch…

Enjoy your great collection.
Yes, I figured, I wanted time to enjoy these watches, so just went for it this summer. The COVID situation probably had something to do with it, too.

Congrats on your collection - that is one terrific three watch combo, all of the watches complement each other. And that Patek! My goodness, what a stunner - it must be a delight to look down at it and see that dial looking up. Enjoy your fantastic collection in good health!
Old 13 September 2021, 03:57 AM   #45
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robf52 View Post
Take a well earned rest.
Yes, definitely time to rest and enjoy these watches, and focus on other things.

For what it’s worth, one thing I learned this summer is that I love the Rolex brand. I consider steel Rolex at MSRP to be solid value for money - solid design, good engineering, no fuss performance and reliability. No wonder the demand is high! In fact, if I had to choose only one watch to keep, it would be be the 36mm silver Datejust. It may not be the most exciting watch in my collection, but it’s the one I reach for the most consistently.

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words and advice. Good luck with your own searches, and enjoy what you have in good spirits and health!
Old 13 September 2021, 04:54 AM   #46
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
I like it a lot. Before this summer, I did not know much about Cartier and, on first glance, it was not a style I thought would like. But as I learned more, and saw it more, it became more and more appealing.

What I like:

-The hint of blue on the dials and crown
-The fact that you get two free services as part of the purchase price
-That you get TWO extra bracelets as part of the purchase (a brown leather one that comes with the Santos, and then you can choose an alligator one in a color of your choice)
-The quick adjusting steel bracelet that makes it easy to make size changes on your own

Nice watch; can you elaborate on the 2 free services? I’ve never heard of this..

Old 13 September 2021, 05:46 AM   #47
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuilln View Post
Nice watch; can you elaborate on the 2 free services? I’ve never heard of this..
It’s part of the (8 year!) Cartier Warranty/Cartier Care service as the SA explained it to me (unless I misunderstood something, which is entirely possible). Perhaps there are different promotions at different times for Cartier Care, I am not sure.
https://www.cartier.com/en-us/servic...tier-care.html
Old 13 September 2021, 05:56 AM   #48
Martin
Banned

Watch: 116610LN, 216570
Congratulations, Enjoy
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 05:58 AM   #49
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Some wonderful photos. Congratulations
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 10:05 AM   #50
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, I figured, I wanted time to enjoy these watches, so just went for it this summer. The COVID situation probably had something to do with it, too.

Congrats on your collection - that is one terrific three watch combo, all of the watches complement each other. And that Patek! My goodness, what a stunner - it must be a delight to look down at it and see that dial looking up. Enjoy your fantastic collection in good health!
Thanks. The “new” collection just kinda come together as I look across the market and found the watches that I like and want. Due to some logical reasons, I still need to wait another week or so before getting my hands on the PP, but I am super excited about it.

Wish you also good health and another 50+ years of enjoying your watches.
Old 16 December 2021, 01:39 PM   #51
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Final Incoming (36mm Steel Explorer) - Summer Rolex Sprint Complete

So just when I think I had settled on my summer built collection, I realized that I like dress watches and actually wanted to have fewer watches. So with a few changes, this is where I ended up at the end of 2021. Happy new year, everyone - wishing everyone an amazing 2022!

Old 17 December 2021, 01:52 AM   #52
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
So just when I think I had settled on my summer built collection, I realized that I like dress watches and actually wanted to have fewer watches. So with a few changes, this is where I ended up at the end of 2021. Happy new year, everyone - wishing everyone an amazing 2022!

Not, not envious...
Old 17 December 2021, 05:29 AM   #53
ThePalletFork
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
ThePalletFork is offline   Reply With Quote