The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 October 2021, 03:40 AM   #31
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

The 41mm sub surprised me. I was not a fan of moving to a larger dial, or the bracelet change. Then i bought one after trying it on, and i think they did an awesome job.

Second is for certain the BB58. Wanted one when they came out, forgot about it and picked one up a year ago. If it had a date and some sort of EZ link, i wouldn’t have bought a new sub and would probably focus primarily on vintage. It’s nearly perfect for me, and the price is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 04:03 AM   #32
sombra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995akcoop View Post
Tudor watches. Was excited to check them out and was very disappointed in how cheesy they look. Ever single model looks like a wannabe Rolex. Some Tudor models look like a mixture of several different Rolex models wrapped into one. I understand there’s a connection between the two brands but Tudors look like something out of Macys.

This. All of this.
sombra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 04:37 AM   #33
seosub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karwath View Post
The DJ 41, I didn't think I'd want a DJ, but I now have 2.

Curious how you like that silver dial? Looks very different in some lighting.
seosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 04:44 AM   #34
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seosub View Post
Curious how you like that silver dial? Looks very different in some lighting.
I have the silver DJ36 and love the dial. It’s very much a chameleon. Goes from silver, to white, to champagne and even slightly salmon in certain lights.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 04:45 AM   #35
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Tudor Pelagos- always just looks so flat and dull in real life.

SMP300 - went to look at the white dial but the black dial really pops

Certina, as a brand. I discovered it this year. Fantastic watches for very little which perform well, have a rich history and have made me question some much more expensive purchases
Old 17 October 2021, 04:57 AM   #36
Trek360
"TRF" Member

YM two tone brown dial. Liked the watch and bought it to add a YM to my collection. Never expected to love it and wear it so often. Like that it doesn’t have the same hype, easy to wear and somewhat under the radar these days.
Trek360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 06:35 AM   #37
nyc10ken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Explorer 39. Thought at one point (7-8 years ago) it would be my next one. Tried it on and just couldn’t get myself to like the proportions, and I was into bigger watches at the time.
Agree, I really liked the watch too but I lost count of how many times I turned down this watch because it was underwhelming on the wrist, either small thin or too light I couldn't pull the trigger then at 7k when you could get a ND sub for a little more.
nyc10ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 06:46 AM   #38
nyc10ken
Banned

Quote:
Tudor watches. Was excited to check them out and was very disappointed in how cheesy they look. Ever single model looks like a wannabe Rolex. Some Tudor models look like a mixture of several different Rolex models wrapped into one. I understand there’s a connection between the two brands but Tudors look like something out of Macys.

This is mostly true and I really like Tudors. The Macy's comment cracked me up!
nyc10ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 07:02 AM   #39
Krash
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
What is a watch that surprised you? for better or worse

HULK. Never liked it until I saw one in person. It blew me away.

Bluesy. Always loved it, but when I tried one on, I was totally blown away by it. It was even better in person.

On the flip side, I was disappointed with a JLC Reverso I tried on. It felt cheap and fragile, and I just didn’t want one anymore. Same thing goes for the Cartier Santos. I thought I wanted one. I tried it on. I didn’t like it.

Believe it or not, when I see Tag Heuer watches in person, they always exceed expectations to the point where I almost bought one a couple times. I think it’s because I have such low expectations to begin with.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 07:39 AM   #40
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
I have been gushing about it in my incoming thread, but for me, it was the Yachtmaster. Never really gave it much thought...then decided I wanted to try the Rhodium/Slate, almost expecting it to be a catch-and-release and now I am obsessed with it!

Old 17 October 2021, 07:59 AM   #41
Schweinwerfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Exactly my thoughts.
The Pelagos was such a huge let down.
Looks great on pictures, though...
Schweinwerfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 09:14 AM   #42
amanbra
"TRF" Member

my 41mm sub... I thought it would be too large, i never understood why the sub was so popular etc etc... got a call for a 126613LN, put it on the wrist and it was like shut up and take my money...
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 09:36 AM   #43
Llamathurst
"TRF" Member

My RG DD40. I was never a PM guy, but this watch just sings. Classic, sporty, subtle and flashy.

I'm having a hard time going back to stainless. I'll probably swap out my SS watches with WG or RG where I can.
Llamathurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 09:46 AM   #44
Rafeeq
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41
I was surprised at how much I like--realllllllly like--the Jubilee band on my Datejust. It looks nice in pictures, of course, but the Rolex site simply shows it from 90 degrees flat on. On your wrist, though, you see it from different angles, and it looks so lovely and curvy. I was a little wary of the taper on the bracelet as well, but it's elegant rather too narrow.
Rafeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 09:53 AM   #45
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

For me it is probably the BLRO Pepsi on Jubilee - If I had the chance at the time to get it on Oyster I'd probably still have it. I tried to love the Jubilee but just couldn't...

#2. New 41 MM Sub - Love what they did to the case, hated what they did to the clasp, not to mention they made it 21mm which made about as practical as a Fifty Fathoms (23mm) lug width - to swap out .

#3. Positive surprise - EXP II Polar, may be my best for wearing, love almost everything about it - simply wish it had a glide lock bracelet.
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 09:54 AM   #46
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Patek 5167. Thought I would love it but just never really bonded. Plus the clasp was a bit uncomfortable for me. Would dig into my wrist and leave small marks.

On the positive, didn't really like the Hulk when it 1st came out. Thought it was just too much green. Saw in the wild one day and fell in love. Went to the dealer that weekend and got it
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 05:02 AM   #47
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
For worse:
Submariner, 114060 and 116610. Saw them in the "pre-owned" sections of AD. Hype around these models leads to crazy expectations and staggering disappointment. Reality at hand is that they seem a little average. Impossible to believe they trade >12k. But I was rather impressed with the clasp (industry-leading engineering and execution of micro-adjust), and the bracelet is just about perfect with right combination of size, taper, comfort, and aesthetic.

Omega SMP-ceramic Diver 300m. Looks great and highly regarded, but sadly I could just never connect to it. A little too bulky and the bracelet is very uncomfortable, plus it has a very dated look. Clasp is also too bulky. I was never a fan of the font on the bezel. The bezel is also hard to grip and turn. The use of ceramic and the dial in general are of great quality.

For better:
OP36, 116000 series. They all look absolutely stunning in person. White dial is my favorite. Super comfortable, elegant, timeless. To be honest, I think it's the perfect watch.

BB58, especially on bracelet. Just about damn-near perfect. The moment Tudor fixes the clasp to allow for articulation at the 6 o'clock end, then it will be a 10/10 in my book. The blue version looks SO GOOD in person, blown away by the color and dial.

Omega Speedmaster Professional. The new 3861 movement update on bracelet looks stunning in person, far more impressive than any online photos. Saw one at an AD and seriously contemplated buying it (did not go in with the intention). I ultimately held off since the clasp did not have a tool-less microadjust and only had one anchoring spot, which is incredibly lame. That, and some concerns that the new movement has some faults in its initial release batch. Will keep an eye out to see what things are like next year and if bracelet is fixed, then very good likelihood I'd buy one.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 05:52 AM   #48
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

For better:

The SD43. I did not have this watch on my radar until I tried it on on a Baselworld viewing, briefly after it was announced. And it was like Cinderella’s shoe. Nothing looked quite right on my wrist anymore after I had seen how well this one fit. So a few weeks ago, when the opportunity came to celebrate the birth of our son, the choice was easy and luckily my (fantastic) AD was extremely supportive.

For worse:

The BLRO. I had such high expectations when this finally came in after a year and a half. But not only was it just a GMT, it was also less good (in my eyes) than the black one I wanted to replace with it. The bezel looked plasticy to me, the colors weren’t as appealing in real life as they were in the pictures, had something unbefittingly toylike and childish. So I kept the more elegant black one and left it at that.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 05:57 AM   #49
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

Daytona. Simply don't see the appeal after trying one on. Hard to read, would never use the chrono. Never on my radar.
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 06:07 AM   #50
CB66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweinwerfer View Post
Exactly my thoughts.
The Pelagos was such a huge let down.
Looks great on pictures, though...
Couldn't disagree more. It's an awesome watch. What what were your issues with it?
CB66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 06:26 AM   #51
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketler View Post
The Modern 6 digit Sea Dweller models...

Had all three and sold all three...Didn't like them...

Went back to the 16600...

Can't beat it...

Attachment 1249854
Nice Ketler
I went back to 16600 and sold over time
Deepsea Black and JC Blue, Sub two tone 116613LB Sub 116610 LV Hulk and much more ....

Old 18 October 2021, 07:09 AM   #52
Nidal
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LV
Air King

well hidden secret
3-6-9 like exp 1
40 mm
ani-magnetic like Milgauss
Nidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 12:17 PM   #53
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Sky-dweller... didn't expect it to be so thick and heavy. Kind of funny how it never gets photographed from the side. I had always imagined it to be DJ or DD dimensions more or less. Instead I thought I was looking at a Seiko tuna when she handed it to me.

DJ41 Blue Dial... kind of a dud in person, not the vibrant color of the photographs.

And for non-Rolex content... just saw the GS SBGY007 Omiwatari in person yesterday. After lots of youtube drooling and daydreaming, I was quite underwhelmed seeing it in the metal.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 01:23 PM   #54
GradyPhilpott

Watch: Tissot, c. 1960
I can't say that I was surprised in the sense that many use it here, because I didn't even know it existed until I saw it in a local shop.

I was thunderstruck, if that is not too strong a description, but I bought it on sight.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 03:01 PM   #55
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
My 14060M. Bought it second-hand for A$5K just over a decade ago. Generally presented in very nice original condition (unpolished) with box/booklet.
They are a nice-looking watch in spite of the 'tinny' bracelet. Has never kept very good time in spite of two A$1100. RSC services (and a separate repair) during that time (last service currently happening).
I love it to bits, but $5K was about what it was worth.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 03:22 PM   #56
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
Sky-dweller... didn't expect it to be so thick and heavy. Kind of funny how it never gets photographed from the side. I had always imagined it to be DJ or DD dimensions more or less. Instead I thought I was looking at a Seiko tuna when she handed it to me.

DJ41 Blue Dial... kind of a dud in person, not the vibrant color of the photographs.

And for non-Rolex content... just saw the GS SBGY007 Omiwatari in person yesterday. After lots of youtube drooling and daydreaming, I was quite underwhelmed seeing it in the metal.
Never meet your heroes. Fully agree on the first two. The GS I don’t know which model that is, and haven’t ever seen one in person, so can’t say.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 03:22 PM   #57
Shazbot302
"TRF" Member

For better - how stunning the two tone CHNR is in person.

For worst - the Daytona looking dainty in person.
Shazbot302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 07:47 PM   #58
Becweb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombra View Post
this. All of this.
+2
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 07:49 PM   #59
Becweb
Banned

For the better: YM 16622 - wears amazing on the wrist, great watch
For the worst: FP Journe - I find the design and styling really ugly, but recognize the greatness of their movements
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 08:37 PM   #60
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
The only watch I ever bought sight unseen (in person).

From the pictures, reviews, and the enabling from a few of the fellas on this forum, I bought one from DSW.

Couldn't be more pleased

20180909_132717.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote