The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 2 January 2022, 03:01 PM   #31
edtu2000
"TRF" Member

It seems several more price adjustments already planned by AP this year. Hopefully my wishlist AP watch can be allocated by AP BT before next price increase· My annual salary raise cannot keep up with AP’s quarterly adjustment ………
edtu2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 04:25 PM   #32
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

The whole situation is one big joke at this point.

It's as if AP is trying to compete with Venezuela for inflation.

Quote:
In 2016, Venezuela entered hyperinflation. The inflation rate reached 274% in 2016, 863% in 2017, 130,060% in 2018 and 9,586% in 2019. Since 2016, the overall inflation rate has increased to 53,798,500%.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 04:51 PM   #33
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
So, in the past 18 months, US prices have increased a total of 6 times.
I stopped paying attention to all of the price increases but is this for real?
6 in 18 months?
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2022, 12:28 AM   #34
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The whole situation is one big joke at this point.

It's as if AP is trying to compete with Venezuela for inflation.
Jokes aside, I do feel like they are trying to match equity index gains to keep the bar of how wealthy a client is the same. Almost like any inflation driven investment windfall gains won’t help you and you already needed ti be wealthy enough.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2022, 05:06 AM   #35
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
I stopped paying attention to all of the price increases but is this for real?
6 in 18 months?
It's been almost quarterly.

I'll have to check my records to see if it was truly 6, but it's definitely more than 4.

They might have missed one quarter because of COVID lockdowns.
Old 3 January 2022, 05:10 AM   #36
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

All i know is my 26315st was 23.8 less than 2 years ago and it is now 32.6. A bit insane without any changes to the actual watch
Old 3 January 2022, 05:17 AM   #37
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'll have to check my records to see if it was truly 6, but it's definitely more than 4.

Whether 4 or 6, that's still quite a few bumps!
Old 3 January 2022, 05:46 AM   #38
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Need to pay for museum, hotel and new workshops somehow. As long as MSRP presents a large discount vs market prices there isn't much AP can do wrong. If the tide ever turns it will be interesting to find the genuine demand at the new prices.
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2022, 06:00 AM   #39
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
We had one in September 2021.
ah missed that one. pretty crazy though, the 15450 got a 50% increase from 16k to 24k in 2 years
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2022, 06:01 AM   #40
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Need to pay for museum, hotel and new workshops somehow. As long as MSRP presents a large discount vs market prices there isn't much AP can do wrong. If the tide ever turns it will be interesting to find the genuine demand at the new prices.

It's nice to see that Patek and Rolex aren't being as dumb as AP when it comes to their price increases. They increase annually, makes sense, and it's usually (though not always for all references) modest to keep up with rising costs of manufacturing.

Porsche raises prices annually too. Again, generally makes sense.
Old 3 January 2022, 06:26 AM   #41
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It's nice to see that Patek and Rolex aren't being as dumb as AP when it comes to their price increases. They increase annually, makes sense, and it's usually (though not always for all references) modest to keep up with rising costs of manufacturing.

Totally agree. I have been ranting about this with each price increase. Its too much and not the right model for future value retention and demand
Old 3 January 2022, 06:30 AM   #42
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

i agree that AP is being a bit too aggressive and it could backfire, but a part of me feels like maybe they were too undervalued back in 2019. a 15400ST was 16.5k back then which in reality quickly started feeling undervalued when things got crazy. it was basically overlapping with a lot of the rolex customers and maybe they don't want that, whereas now anyone that wants to grab an entry level rolex can't even look at entry level APs
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2022, 07:39 AM   #43
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
All i know is my 26315st was 23.8 less than 2 years ago and it is now 32.6. A bit insane without any changes to the actual watch

It is a bit insane. When the watch first caught my eye, it was 26.8. I just paid 31.3 in October and now it’s 32.6!

At this rate I won’t be able to afford any APs in 5 years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2022, 08:53 AM   #44
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
i agree that AP is being a bit too aggressive and it could backfire, but a part of me feels like maybe they were too undervalued back in 2019. a 15400ST was 16.5k back then which in reality quickly started feeling undervalued when things got crazy. it was basically overlapping with a lot of the rolex customers and maybe they don't want that, whereas now anyone that wants to grab an entry level rolex can't even look at entry level APs
I agree with this statement.

I used to consider them a bargain.

Then a couple price increases, I considered them "average."

And now? Now it's a big joke. It's like they're tracking the values of NFTs or something.
Old 3 January 2022, 09:06 AM   #45
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
Undervalued was true back then but the market speaks for itself. Gradual price increases shouldve followed to keep their customers happy while still meeting their internal revenue goals. Their secondary pricing would still be where it is today and it would’ve still protected the brand and maybe made it even more sought after.

Now its basically just catering to the celebrities and other folks purely into the hype of it all with infinite funds. It just frustrates me as a collector and admirer of the brand that the likelihood of me ever having a real chance to grow my collection diminishes with time. Maybe they dont really want to have “normal” folks associated with their brand anymore.
Old 3 January 2022, 09:07 AM   #46
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

The main frustration with quarterly (or more than one per year) increases it that some of us might be waiting for a particular reference for 2+ years now, and since then, the retail price has doubled.
Old 3 January 2022, 02:41 PM   #47
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now its basically just catering to the celebrities and other folks purely into the hype of it all with infinite funds. It just frustrates me as a collector and admirer of the brand that the likelihood of me ever having a real chance to grow my collection diminishes with time. Maybe they dont really want to have “normal” folks associated with their brand anymore.
As much as I like AP and would like to add another RO or ROO, I've basically moved on from the brand. The price for a basic RO or ROO is out of reach for me and I know the odds of me ever getting my dream piece (gold Jumbo) are 0 now.

I mainly still follow the AP subforum to look at everyone else's watches and to keep up with AP news.
Old 4 January 2022, 08:15 AM   #48
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The main frustration with quarterly (or more than one per year) increases it that some of us might be waiting for a particular reference for 2+ years now, and since then, the retail price has doubled.
Facts.....I think AP is getting out of hand with the price increases. They say they understand this is temporary and don't make decisions based on that. But here they are raising prices every 2 months practically.
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 08:17 AM   #49
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911AP View Post
Facts.....I think AP is getting out of hand with the price increases. They say they understand this is temporary and don't make decisions based on that. But here they are raising prices every 2 months practically.
Old 4 January 2022, 08:17 AM   #50
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Undervalued was true back then but the market speaks for itself. Gradual price increases shouldve followed to keep their customers happy while still meeting their internal revenue goals. Their secondary pricing would still be where it is today and it would’ve still protected the brand and maybe made it even more sought after.

I agree with this. I feel watch collecting is now for the super rich with the way things have become. True collectors and admirers get screwed by the dynamic of today's market.

Pretty soon it's going to be all hype beasts who are uber rich who will have these watches.
Old 4 January 2022, 08:18 AM   #51
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Most uber rich don't care about collecting watches, honestly. Except those who are oil rich.

And those who are cryptocurrency rich.

And those who are fame rich.

Lately, anyway.

Old 4 January 2022, 08:56 AM   #52
DentistRodman
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Not quite every quarter but definitely more often than any of us would like.

I believe the last few price increases were:
Jan 20
July 20
Jan 21
Sept 21
Jan 22
DentistRodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 08:58 AM   #53
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Yup, close enough!

I believe there were a total of 3 increases in 2021, actually. But I'd have to review my records to be certain.
Old 4 January 2022, 10:41 AM   #54
squall1
"TRF" Member

Not going to lie, it's a bit discouraging.
squall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 12:50 PM   #55
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yup, close enough!

I believe there were a total of 3 increases in 2021, actually. But I'd have to review my records to be certain.
I'm pretty sure last year had 3 increases as well. They used to increase their prices like what? Once every other year? If even that. The 15400 was 19k for such a long time I feel.
Old 4 January 2022, 12:54 PM   #56
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure last year had 3 increases as well. They used to increase their prices like what? Once every other year? If even that. The 15400 was 19k for such a long time I feel.
Correct. And, honestly, I'd be fine if it was a modest percentage yearly. Patek and Rolex increase yearly. As do Porsche, Mercedes, BMW.
Old 4 January 2022, 01:06 PM   #57
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Wow. Code 11.59 3 hander priced at $32,600 USD is simply insane ...
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 02:34 PM   #58
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think MSRP for my 15400 was $17,800 in late 2016/early 2017. I got a 21% discount off of MSRP at the time.
Old 4 January 2022, 03:10 PM   #59
edtu2000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
I think MSRP for my 15400 was $17,800 in late 2016/early 2017. I got a 21% discount off of MSRP at the time.
I got my 15202ST with 25% off MSRP in 2016, good old days⋯⋯
edtu2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 03:17 PM   #60
peb35
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtu2000 View Post
I got my 15202ST with 25% off MSRP in 2016, good old days⋯⋯
Amazing
peb35 is offline   Reply With Quote