The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 December 2021, 06:50 AM   #31
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Who's getting excited?

People saying things like this is a step in the right direction to screw the grays.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 06:59 AM   #32
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
People saying things like this is a step in the right direction to screw the grays.
Personally I don't have a problem with legit grays that operate on a professional platform, with standards. However Rolex now has the ability to clean up much of the nonsense and poor practice by simply raising prices significantly and taking some of the obscenely fat margins for themselves. This will help to start leveling the playing field. Will it happen? Who knows.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 07:00 AM   #33
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

So any watch that you are offered this year is a doubly wonderful.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 07:04 AM   #34
dg1111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Who's getting excited?
I was hoping for a price increase that would cut into the grey dealers’ margins. This one is too small for that to happen. A 3.4% increase can easily be absorbed by the grey dealers or passed on to customers. A 10-20% increase might have been enough to change things, as I don’t think the grey dealers could have raised their prices enough to offset that.
dg1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 07:11 AM   #35
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1111 View Post
I was hoping for a price increase that would cut into the grey dealers’ margins. This one is too small for that to happen. A 3.4% increase can easily be absorbed by the grey dealers or passed on to customers. A 10-20% increase might have been enough to change things, as I don’t think the grey dealers could have raised their prices enough to offset that.

100% agree. Imagine, 300 dollars on a 10K watch. Why even bother. 20% would be a great start to normalizing the market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 12:24 AM   #36
dafuture
"TRF" Member

If I’m reading this correctly, is that a 6.91% price increase on the Milgauss? A quick Google search lists the 2021 price in Euros as 7950 (not sure if that’s correct), while the price list shows 8500.
Old 26 December 2021, 01:52 AM   #37
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was hoping for a price increase that would cut into the grey dealers’ margins.
Secondary resellers aim for the same 10-20% margin regardless of price increases. If the piece is more expensive to acquire, the secondary price will be higher. If the market doesn’t support that price, they will pay less to acquire or not stock it at all.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 02:04 AM   #38
Jacobson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafuture View Post
If I’m reading this correctly, is that a 6.91% price increase on the Milgauss? A quick Google search lists the 2021 price in Euros as 7950 (not sure if that’s correct), while the price list shows 8500.
Euro pricing includes VAT (Value Added Tax) & differs from country to country.

for example:
116400 GV €7750 EUR - Germany (19% VAT)
116400 GV €7850 EUR - Austria (20% VAT)
116400 GV €7900 EUR - Belgium (21% VAT)
116400 GV €7950 EUR - Italy (22% VAT)
Old 26 December 2021, 02:05 AM   #39
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
It should be 15% to restore balance in watch world too .Annually.
For this past year or two, yes. Some currencies, like the Euro and British Pound, have done especially horrendously.

I wonder if when people hear a 5% sales increase promoted by the news this holiday season.... it really means a ~5% loss in sales in real terms YoY due to currency devaluation.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 02:10 AM   #40
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
I don't know why anybody is getting excited... The grays will just raise their prices accordingly.
Sure they will until they can't sell at those prices.

It is all speculation but I LOVE the idea. Anything to take out another layer that just adds cost (shipping, refurbing, salesmen margins, overhead etc etc). I would love for Rolex to sell direct like Zenith is doing now. Order your watch, pay the MSRP and get in line. Take out all the BS, back door BS, kissing an AD's a$$, sending millions just to get a watch you like, groveling for someone to take your $30K like they are doing you a favor. That is the hope anyway as the prices increase.

Who knows what will actually happen but I think it is great Rolex goes and gets more of what grays are getting when they are the ones spending all the money on marketing, brick and mortar and everything else on their P&L.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 02:44 AM   #41
Mrngrz46
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Tell me what happend when patek increase few years ago by circa 20% price of nautilus ?

Simply grey + 20%. End of the story

The one and only way to lower grey market is to increase production that will happend only if people start to loose interest in watch.

Full stop.
Mrngrz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 02:45 AM   #42
mcch2233
"TRF" Member

Any price increases like this are small potatoes compared to Chanel's increases over the course of the pandemic.
mcch2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 03:17 AM   #43
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcch2233 View Post
Any price increases like this are small potatoes compared to Chanel's increases over the course of the pandemic.
True, but very different cost structures. Chanel, by and large, I’d utilizing relatively low skilled labor (compared to watchmakers) with less expensive inputs (exotic skins aside), with many items produced in greater quantities. There’s also the fact that, admit it or not, many components are fabricated in places like China, where the pandemic shut down more production earlier.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 03:20 AM   #44
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post

I would love for Rolex to sell direct like Zenith is doing now. Order your watch, pay the MSRP and get in line. Take out all the BS, back door BS, kissing an AD's a$$, sending millions just to get a watch you like, groveling for someone to take your $30K like they are doing you a favor.

If you were Rolex, would you EVEN CONSIDER going direct??????

No way in h3ll!

Going the way of Amazon and all other direct online retailers … it reduces your product to “price and convenience based consumer decision making.” In essence, a race to the bottom.

If I were in Rolex’s shoes I would be LOVING all of this hype, demand, years long waiting lists, explosive secondary market pricing, etc. — this is literally the BEST situation any company could find itself in. And EVERY company would LOVE to experience such a phenomenon!

Let the ADs provide the luxury touch, let the market go nuts over your product, and let the market think your products are so good they are worth multiple times the MSRP now and into the future. All of the above strengthen your brand. And the reality is for those that cry “I’m leaving Rolex because I can’t get one at retail - boo hoo!” … there are 10 others that will take your place in the queue.

I fully appreciate the frustration most have in obtaining a beloved piece, but that’s just the way the world is. Stay the course and you will eventually succeed and that accomplishment is all the sweeter! If one gives up in frustration … they DESERVE exactly what they put in.

I assume those same complainers are the type of people who believe their kid should get a metal/trophy for “participating” in a sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 04:16 AM   #45
dialguy48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post

No way in h3ll!

Going the way of Amazon and all other direct online retailers … it reduces your product to “price and convenience based consumer decision making.” In essence, a race to the bottom.

If I were in Rolex’s shoes I would be LOVING all of this hype, demand, years long waiting lists, explosive secondary market pricing, etc. — this is literally the BEST situation any company could find itself in. And EVERY company would LOVE to experience such a phenomenon!

Let the ADs provide the luxury touch, let the market go nuts over your product, and let the market think your products are so good they are worth multiple times the MSRP now and into the future. All of the above strengthen your brand. And the reality is for those that cry “I’m leaving Rolex because I can’t get one at retail - boo hoo!” … there are 10 others that will take your place in the queue.

I fully appreciate the frustration most have in obtaining a beloved piece, but that’s just the way the world is. Stay the course and you will eventually succeed and that accomplishment is all the sweeter! If one gives up in frustration … they DESERVE exactly what they put in.

I assume those same complainers are the type of people who believe their kid should get a metal/trophy for “participating” in a sport.

This. You guys keep talking like whats going on is a problem for Rolex when its only a problem for us.
dialguy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 04:19 AM   #46
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:

No

They wont and they must not .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 05:11 AM   #47
jaychief
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
I was in NYC last weekend from Uk, went in a few AD including one at airport on way out, nothing anywhere ...I have collected watches for yrs and come to the conclusion I think it become more than watch ... and for that reason people will pay what ever for Rolex
jaychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 04:05 AM   #48
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
Just stopped by my local AD, a small family owned operation, where they were late getting exhibition pieces. They arrived and placed in the display cases last week or so; all watches were pre-labeled with the newer prices (since they won't be fulfilling any orders this year as is). As I was chatting with the SA and checking out the BLNR "Batgirl", I can confirm that the new price on the label stated $10,750. Anyway, for those of you who care or are curious.
stark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 04:07 AM   #49
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stark1 View Post
Just stopped by my local AD, a small family owned operation, where they were late getting exhibition pieces. They arrived and placed in the display cases last week or so; all watches were pre-labeled with the newer prices (since they won't be fulfilling any orders this year as is). As I was chatting with the SA and checking out the BLNR "Batgirl", I can confirm that the new price on the label stated $10,750. Anyway, for those of you who care or are curious.
Good info. Thanks.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 05:18 AM   #50
sleepydoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stark1 View Post
Thanks, what bracelet was that on?
sleepydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 05:47 AM   #51
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydoc View Post
Thanks, what bracelet was that on?

He started “batgirl” so that would be the jubilee. I believe the oyster is $200 less.

Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 06:05 AM   #52
sleepydoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He started “batgirl” so that would be the jubilee. I believe the oyster is $200 less.

Ok right, thanks.
sleepydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 06:45 AM   #53
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:

No way in h3ll!

This, best response i've seen for a long time.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 08:51 AM   #54
Tach24LMS
"TRF" Member

Everything is going up. And it’s not coming back down to pre-Covid either.
Tach24LMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 06:18 PM   #55
Obi Wan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
IMHO, it is just the opposite…
Obi Wan is offline   Reply With Quote