The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want to be 'done' collecting at some point?
Yes, I am seeking the perfect collection and being 'done' 72 36.73%
No, this is a forever journey with no endgame 124 63.27%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 February 2022, 04:11 PM   #31
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
If I thought I was finished I’d be bored to death.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 04:39 PM   #32
mito818
Banned

Im done for the most part. That is unless my AD magically sells me a Daytona at retail lol

I do want to add a budget Diver at some point. Im thinking a BB Burgundy....
mito818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 04:48 PM   #33
norcalctr
"TRF" Member

I'm still chasing multiple Rolexes. Far from being done.
norcalctr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 10:31 PM   #34
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Always moving forward. No end for me.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 10:36 PM   #35
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
I like to enjoy and collect different brands......my collection doesn't have to look like the catalogue off Rolex's website or brochure, you do not have to get every Rolex models
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 10:39 PM   #36
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I don't have a plan or end point. Going to trunk shows and seeing different watches keeps me interested. I didn't get the skyD until trying on in person. Likewise the Daytona.
Old 3 February 2022, 10:43 PM   #37
Driver8
"TRF" Member

I'm two watches away from completing what I want as far as Rolex is concerned - I want a 114060 and a 214270.

Until a year or so ago I had quite a few more in mind, but the 32xx issue means I've effectively ruled out any of the newer models, so that leaves me with just the final two discontinued pieces that I'm trying to find in fully-stickered NOS condition for "reasonable" money. And the thing is, I'm actually totally cool with not wanting any of the newer ones, and it's been quite liberating not having a list as long as my arm.

That said, I'm not just a Rolex fan, so there's plenty of other watches out there to keep me occupied, and the great news is they're pretty much all dead-easy to pick up.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 10:46 PM   #38
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
If you are a true enthusiast, that enthusiasm is the driver. A "collection" is simply an extension of your enjoyment.

There is no definition of an endgame "collection" that you can achieve.
Agreed.

I have what I want from Rolex, I am on the hunt for better watches
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 11:08 PM   #39
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
My collection is complete, I have a DJ and Submariner they are the only Rolex's I want or need, my wife has two DJ's one she wears on a daily basis the other is her posh watch a TT version with diamonds.

I have no desire to wait for an unspecified period of time for another watch, I have set myself the target of owning a watch from VC and know which one that will be, my new local dealer (I've moved house) has indicated that my previous Rolex spending elsewhere counts for nothing so any thoughts of picking up a hot watch such as a Daytona, GMT, Sky Dweller, etc. etc., have been squashed, so be it, time to move on.

Along with Rolex my new AD stocks PP, Omega and a few others, I have considered a Calatrava which is lovely to get the chance of an Aquanaut but in reality that is just not going to happen so I am going to sit and wait for funds to build so thatI can go and buy my last luxury watch from Vacheron.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 11:31 PM   #40
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
I have played the "always looking for the next one" game for the better part of a decade. I have owned nearly every Rolex model at one point or another and I feel like now I have a very good sense of my preferences. I am now very content with the state of my collection and look forward to enjoying them instead of always being on the hunt. It is a nice feeling!
Old 3 February 2022, 11:34 PM   #41
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I've traded up, down and sideways to get to a collection of 7 watches I wear more or less equally and a total cost I'm comfortable with. I am waiting on a Dornbluth that should be done soon but other than that I am all set.

If something comes up I won't rule out a one in / one out swap. I just like having variety, not a collection for the sake of owning one of everything.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 01:38 AM   #42
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
I don't think it will ever end for me. I just bought some new straps and batteries for some old watches of mine that had been sitting in my watch box for 15 years. An old Hamilton and a sporty summer Nautica watch, both of which I got way back in college. I have been wearing them this week and have actually been enjoying the novelty of wearing something different while my Rolex catches up on some much needed R&R in her case on my nightstand.

I have several modern Rolexes that I am still interested in acquiring over the upcoming years and a JLC, but then there are a lot in the vintage Rolex catalog that are very intriguing. I would love an old hand wind 6694 Oyster Date Precision just for fun, and I have some 1950s and 1960s grails, including a big crown sub and a 6542 GMT Master, so I don't think this will ever end. It will just evolve over the years. I also want to build out a work bench space in my office as my interests and time commitments change, so that I can slowly start working on tinkering with these and maybe even try my hand at restoring old vintage "barn find" pieces.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 01:45 AM   #43
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Unless something falls into my lap I am done with Rolex. Not interested in the chase or the games. SM has also worn me out with all the Rolex overhype. Onto other brands.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 02:06 AM   #44
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ36 & BB54
Unless you are near the end of your lifetime, then I don't think you can be 'done' as a genuine watch enthusiast.

My tastes in my late 30's are very different to those in my 20's, and I am wise (enough) to understand that my tastes will change again when in the 40's and 50's.

No end game for me, apart from enjoying what I have every day and seeing where this hobby takes me.
OG1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 02:14 AM   #45
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Curious as I see posts lately around completion or being done. I myself have posted about wanting to retire from this, get the perfect collection and be done etc. And here I am.

So how many of you are thinking you'll reach a point of satisfaction or contentment of finality in your collections?

Versus how many of this look at this as a forever journey with no dreams of 'being done'?

I actually talk about this in my video…

https://youtu.be/NhLkfMcMnmw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 02:42 AM   #46
train-time
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
If you are a true enthusiast, that enthusiasm is the driver. A "collection" is simply an extension of your enjoyment.

There is no definition of an endgame "collection" that you can achieve.
Exactly true Larry! I have always considered collecting watches a "journey" with many twists and turns. Enthusiasm ensures that the journey never ends.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 02:58 AM   #47
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
No big moves in a couple years. I'm pretty settled in, unless something in my mind changes. If anything, I'd sell something over adding.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 03:39 AM   #48
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I consider my collection complete. I enjoy reading about watches without the need to buy another one. I own 12 pieces, out of which 3 are Rolex sports models: YM 116622 pt dial, SD43 and Sub41 TT blue. My perfect trio, the classy Sub, the badass Sub and the showy Sub.
alphadweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 03:47 AM   #49
Bmats

I say I’d be done after one more, but really I have all I need (mix of different brands and type, but not overwhelming) and could/should stop now. But I’m chasing a hard to get one from an AD and said I wouldn’t get anything else until I get that one. So that might be enough to keep me at where I am now.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 04:07 AM   #50
Big Tex Rolex
"TRF" Member

I own many Rolex watches … I have “listed” with my AD, 5 more Rolex watches that I want.

Honestly, if I got those 5 tomorrow, I think I would have collected all the current Rolex watches I want, and would be done …

UNLESS / UNTIL, Rolex comes out with something new that looks good to me / that I want …

like a Yellow Gold Cellini … or when they come out (one day) with the 12 Series Daytonas … or when they come out (one day) with the 13 Series Submariners …………..

As for other brands, I want ………

The quest continues !!!
Big Tex Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 04:10 AM   #51
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
One more!!! Or....maybe two?!
Old 4 February 2022, 07:02 AM   #52
RazorD
"TRF" Member

I don’t see myself ever being “done” there are so many references and variations modern and vintage that will keep me busy for many years to come. For me, that’s part of the fun.
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 07:14 AM   #53
mattidk
"TRF" Member

2 more Rolex then i also start to look for other brands ss well
mattidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 07:20 AM   #54
Beto737
"TRF" Member

One more “should” do it for Rolex at least…
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 08:54 AM   #55
Laostuh
"TRF" Member

I currently have 2 and would like to add maybe 2 more. Hoping for a DD and Daytona C. I'll be complete after that.
Laostuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 09:20 AM   #56
islandfun27
"TRF" Member

I am just getting started and very new to hobby. You guys have been very helpful in my first vintage 5512 submariner.
I have a panda cerachrome Daytona added a while back but thinking a GMT is probably going to round out the pack at least for the foreseeable future.
islandfun27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 09:59 AM   #57
bmrk
Banned

On the watch journey till the end
bmrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 12:13 PM   #58
samuel019

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Good thread Rory.

You already know my answer and for those who don’t/care one more, a 116505 or 116515, and it’s deuces for me!!

Just like my avatar did this year

As hard as I’m trying hopefully I will get it this year so we can retire from the “game” together

It would take a truly new model to change my mind and not just some size, color, or cosmetic change. Something innovative like the SkyD
Old 4 February 2022, 12:33 PM   #59
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 16570
I'm pretty much done.

I have a nice collection of Rolex and Tudor watches that gives me satisfaction and there are maintenance costs to be considered.

I'm not saying that there won't be any more, but the prices are, in my humble judgement, way beyond what is prudent for a man in his seventies to spend.

Of course, I've always been interested in watches other than the latest and greatest, so there may be deals out there that might pique my interest.

It's just that adding more high-dollar watches at this time is not a priority.

I did not respond to the poll.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2022, 06:19 PM   #60
Steve36Efc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126603
I have recently sold one to fund my next purchase, so I am now waiting patiently for its arrival. Once it’s here I’ll be back to 4 in the collection which I am comfortable with.
Omega Seamaster 300
Steve36Efc is offline   Reply With Quote