The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 February 2022, 10:27 PM   #31
FrequentTrain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Flip the Tudor and black Breitling for a Sub or Sub Date.
This is probably what I’ll do. That Tudor has appreciated in value so fast that it only makes sense to sell it if I get an AD call.
FrequentTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2022, 10:28 PM   #32
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would keep the Pepsi and the Speedmaster and move everything else. I would then pick up a Submariner, SD or DSSD. I would sit back and wait with the rest of the money.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2022, 10:36 PM   #33
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Sell immediately the Seamaster.... and the Breitlings

I would add one of these Submariner 14060 Sub Date 16610 Sea dweller 16600
Old 21 February 2022, 10:48 PM   #34
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Amusing amount of "Rolex-only-ism" here, although I guess it's to be expected given that it's TRF! (And to be honest, my choices of two to remove don't go against that here either in this instance!)

As a fan of movements (i.e. something just a little bit different to never-ending ETAs and Sellitas), it's a very easy decision for me - I'd sell the Breitling Chrono SuperOcean and the IWC Pilot Chrono as they're just bog standard 7750-based movements, and nothing special compared to the others IMO.

The BB is just a great in-house-powered all-rounder; the in-house B01-equipped Navitimer is an absolutely classic (although I'd have gone for the black dial personally); the Doxa 600T is the limited edition titanium version by the looks of it so definitely worth keeping even though it's Sellita-based; the BLRO is obviously great (assuming you have a decent 3285 inside it!); the platinum dial YM is an often underrated piece but definitely my favourite dial option; the current Seamaster is a great piece that technically-speaking more than holds its own against the Submariner (although I'd have gone with the blue dial version myself); and the Speedie is just an iconic piece that no collection should be without.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2022, 10:52 PM   #35
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Choose one of the Breitlings and one of either the Doxa/Seamaster. Get a Datejust.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2022, 10:56 PM   #36
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
I’d add a Panerai

No idea what you should move along, but I’d add first
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2022, 11:01 PM   #37
Bmats

I would keep the Tudor, BLRO, IWC chrono, and speedy and sell the rest. I’d then get an Lange 1815 up/down or Saxona or JLC duometre. If I was going to get a Patek I’d get the 6119 in white gold. And if I was insistent on only get professional models then I’d get a blancpain bathyscape chrono.

Last edited by Bmats; 21 February 2022 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: Misidentified one in the picture.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2022, 11:09 PM   #38
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
One or both of the Breitlings & the Doxa to add a Sub.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2022, 11:10 PM   #39
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Good lord, stay put…
Old 21 February 2022, 11:37 PM   #40
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Two watches to sell, one to add

I’d keep the Pepsi, IWC, Speedmaster and Seamaster, and get rid of everything else. I’d add a Submariner and a Datejust.

I like Navitimers but not that one. I prefer the black one but with white sub dials, plus I’d put it on a leather strap. Not a fan of the other Breitling at all…

The Doxa is okay, but I’m not sure about that color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2022, 11:46 PM   #41
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Goodbye Breitlings, hello Zenith original 38mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 01:50 AM   #42
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Sell any two apart from the Rolex’s as they can be replaced if you change your mind. I would add a datejust as a dress watch and more available than other Rolex’s
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 01:56 AM   #43
FrequentTrain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexken View Post
Sell any two apart from the Rolex’s as they can be replaced if you change your mind. I would add a datejust as a dress watch and more available than other Rolex’s
What would you suggest other than a DJ, setting aside scarcity, as I should be able to get an allocation of something not called a Daytona in the next few months?
Old 22 February 2022, 02:16 AM   #44
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

I just think a datejust or a day-date would complement the rest of the collection without overlap. Personally I would want both a sub and a black bay as I like one horse for each course rather than a collection of divers
Old 22 February 2022, 02:17 AM   #45
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Sorry I meant I would not want both a sub and black bay !!
Old 22 February 2022, 02:50 AM   #46
Me4u2night
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I'd add a Grand Seiko and a JLC. I would get rid of the 2 breitlings.
Me4u2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 04:22 AM   #47
FrequentTrain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Amusing amount of "Rolex-only-ism" here, although I guess it's to be expected given that it's TRF! (And to be honest, my choices of two to remove don't go against that here either in this instance!)

As a fan of movements (i.e. something just a little bit different to never-ending ETAs and Sellitas), it's a very easy decision for me - I'd sell the Breitling Chrono SuperOcean and the IWC Pilot Chrono as they're just bog standard 7750-based movements, and nothing special compared to the others IMO.

The BB is just a great in-house-powered all-rounder; the in-house B01-equipped Navitimer is an absolutely classic (although I'd have gone for the black dial personally); the Doxa 600T is the limited edition titanium version by the looks of it so definitely worth keeping even though it's Sellita-based; the BLRO is obviously great (assuming you have a decent 3285 inside it!); the platinum dial YM is an often underrated piece but definitely my favourite dial option; the current Seamaster is a great piece that technically-speaking more than holds its own against the Submariner (although I'd have gone with the blue dial version myself); and the Speedie is just an iconic piece that no collection should be without.
Great comments but does your list of watches to sell change if I note that this is the somewhat rare Black Bay Black Smiley (ETA-based but only produced in this combination for around 5 months before they changed to the in house movement).
Old 22 February 2022, 07:26 AM   #48
yesnaya
"TRF" Member

This is so personal... I mean you purchased these for a reason. My tastes are similar to yours (I like sports watches)... so here how i would update:

Get rid of the BB58, YM40, and SM300 and get a sub. I never liked the fake rivets on the BB58, never liked the platinum dial and bezel on the YM (or the PCL), and I sold my SM300 because I hated the slippery bezel, non-tappering bracelet, He valve, and overall chunkyness. So that is a net -2.

Keep the BLRO, Keep the Speedy. Keep the navitimer but put it on a blue gator strap.

Get rid of the Chronomat, IWC, and that blue one in the top right. Just not my taste or style. Another net -3.

So of your current 9 I would keep 3, and add a sub. Leaving you with 4 really good looking pices. From there if you dont think it's enough, maybe add a DJ41 for the fluted bezel or non-sport watch. But those 4 is already an excellent collection in my opinion.
yesnaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 01:33 PM   #49
FrequentTrain
"TRF" Member

Is a Skydweller a sports watch, a dress watch or both?
Old 23 February 2022, 01:10 AM   #50
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrequentTrain View Post
Great comments but does your list of watches to sell change if I note that this is the somewhat rare Black Bay Black Smiley (ETA-based but only produced in this combination for around 5 months before they changed to the in house movement).
Oh is it the ETA BB? I couldn't tell from the pic. Bit more of a toss-up for me between the Breitling SOC and the BB in that case as I've never really bought into the furore about the ETA one. On balance I'd probably ditch the BB and keep the SOC instead - that way you'd keep one 7750 and one 2824 (in the Doxa) in your collection.

JMO of course!
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 01:16 AM   #51
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrequentTrain View Post
Hello,

What two watches would you eliminate and what watch would you add to this collection and why? Always helpful to hear others’ views and reasons.

Cheers!
I'd sell the top right one and add two dress pieces. One with black dial one with white dial, probably one in rose gold one in yellow gold
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 01:48 AM   #52
Yellow5
"TRF" Member

First things first, nice collection. You have several very nice pieces representing a pretty wide range of SS sports models, covering most of the main manufacturers.

If I were you, I’d drop one breitling (your choice), the sea master, and get a Lange Saxonia or 1815. Your collection is large, and has many similar watches. Having a PM piece, and one that is dress styled, would round things out quite a bit.

So many folks want to accumulate the entire SS Rolex catalog, and while that is an admirable goal, it certainly shouldn’t be the de-facto response. I sincerely doubt that would be the response you would receive if secondary prices were less than retail. Unless you are trying to make money with you watch collecting journey, or are wanting to pass the most valuable pieces to the next generation, I’d skip the responses that push more SS Rolex. When it comes to SS sports models, I think you are covered, and then some. Expand your experiences.

A Patek would be another option, but Patek at entry level just isn’t on the same level as Lange, and is basically an over priced solid gold watch. Their higher end stuff is the best in the industry, but they cut corners at the entry level. That’s just my opinion, others will certainly disagree.
Yellow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 03:18 AM   #53
FrequentTrain
"TRF" Member

I’d agree that a nice dress piece has been missing. Feel like I gravitate to A Lange’s offerings, the Calatrava, and the new Zenith Elite Moonphase.

But good point on potentially going for a PM piece if I go this route. Give the less formal dress codes these days, I think I’d get my most mileage out of one rather than two such pieces.

Does anyone have experiences to share on any of the above? I’m not doing this for “investment” but obviously would like to pick up something that will retain value if cared for.
Old 23 February 2022, 05:30 AM   #54
Panader
"TRF" Member

Keep the Pepsi, Speedmaster, Tudor and IWC Chrono.

Sell everything else.

Buy an Oysterflex Daytona.
Panader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 05:48 AM   #55
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Since you asked. I would sell them all except the BLRO and the Speedy. Add a Sub of your choice and call it good.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 10:45 AM   #56
FrequentTrain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panader View Post
Keep the Pepsi, Speedmaster, Tudor and IWC Chrono.

Sell everything else.

Buy an Oysterflex Daytona.
Just initiated this discussion a few weeks back. Maybe some of the people with the “delete 4-5 watches” responses will see their post play out.

Overall, pretty happy but I do recognize the need for a dress piece. The problem is a nice one is a nice amount of cash and probably gets less use.
Old 25 February 2022, 01:51 PM   #57
nickorette
2024 Pledge Member

Sell Breitlings, Doxa, Tudor. Look at acquiring: Panerai, JLC, Lange or Patek
IWC: PRT Minute Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber, Vintage Pilot Tribute, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G, 6119R JLC: Reverso, Duomètre, Polaris Memovox, MUTM Enamel AP: 15202ST Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, 321 EW, CK 859 Cartier: Santos M, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 03:16 PM   #58
Roberto Kupferschein
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS
This collection is your journey through the watch collection, why sell anything? Did you ask anybody when you bought those watches? Probably no, then why start now. Buy what you like and enjoy the ride. I am very sure that you enjoy every single watch in your collection.
Cheers
Roberto Kupferschein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 03:33 PM   #59
Joearch

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Agree with deletes above!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Same here
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 10:25 PM   #60
ExplorerGuy
"TRF" Member

Sell: Breitlings
Add: An OP or DJ, or Cartier Santos

FWIW the BLRO, Speedy, BB smiley are the must keeps for me. Also think the Doxa is very cool! Nice collection as is.
ExplorerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote