The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 June 2022, 10:15 PM   #31
BigTasty
"TRF" Member

I don't need a watch to tell me how unhealthy I am.
I have a mirror for that.
BigTasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2022, 10:21 PM   #32
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
A real watch gives me peace & quiet, tech gadgets raise my blood pressure. No thanks.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2022, 10:35 PM   #33
HogwldFLTR
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too many to list!
I like wearing an activity tracker as well. For me it's a Garmin Vivosmart 4 which is bracelet like (small and narrow) and tracks steps, exercise, sleep, HR, Pulse Ox, and provides notifications on calls and text messages. All I really need. It doesn't look nerdy either, imho.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2022, 10:40 PM   #34
Wee-Willie
"TRF" Member

I don't wear & will never wear an Apple Watch, but please, everyone, buy an Apple Watch..it helps my Apple stock!!
Wee-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2022, 11:25 PM   #35
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

No thanks to a smart watch. In my opinion, these devices are only for people who don’t feel overwhelmed by technology as is.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2022, 11:33 PM   #36
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
so are you gonna sell your Rolexes...for peace of mind...
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2022, 11:43 PM   #37
Newt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1971 GMT Pepsi
I went this route for a bit. But I'm a tech executive. I went back to automatic watches to get away from all that. And to have a bit of old world craftsman ship that's still relevant and cool.

But I understand the drive for it. My wife has a rolex she wears sometimes, but when she's training for a marathon, she only wears her tech watch.
Newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 12:18 AM   #38
buhdeh
"TRF" Member

of course tech won. just look at business people nowadays... you used to see partners at law firms, consulting firms, accounting firms, etc. buy / wear Rolex when they made partner at their firm. now, nearly all of them wear Apple Watches.

And even the few who still prefer mechanical watches can't buy Rolex now, so watch as even more people in this class move to Apple Watch. I guess Rolex doesn't really care that they've mostly lost this class of people from buying their watches.
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 12:27 AM   #39
Unframed
"TRF" Member

I wear an Apple watch on my right wrist so I can wear a mechanical on my left, if I want.

I like the Apple watch, but like others have said: the notifications are annoying. All I want for it to do is sit there silently, show me the time, and log my workout/health info.

I might switch to a pure fitness tracker, like a Whoop 4.0.
Unframed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 12:35 AM   #40
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ck8 View Post
I was wearing my Rolex less and less since lockdown and now I hardly wear it especially with all the robberies of Rolex watches in the UK. I might wear my IWC every now and then.

However I have succumbed to the tech world the smart watch. It monitors my sleep patterns, heart rate, my weight, O2 level, exercise routines, GPS navigation, music, notifications, stress level, pedometer weather etc.

I never used to wear a watch 24/7 but now I wear it most of the day.

My Apple Watch Nike + sits in a drawer. I maybe use it once or twice a month when I want to track my steps on a hike.

Funny, but the first thing I do when I get up is put on my watch … I feel naked without one (even when I’m naked ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 12:38 AM   #41
krchrist
"TRF" Member

Watch: tbd
i wear my apple watch to run, that is all. the notifications drive me crazy... and its also super boring
krchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 12:44 AM   #42
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
To each their own Mark, but all that information, the constant bombardment, would drive me nuts.

I’ll stick to my mechanical watches. They bring me serenity now
This.

Not interested in around-the-clock self-optimisation and monitoring. I certainly do enough sports and have a Garmin GPS on the bicycle that I also use while paddling on the lake.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 12:49 AM   #43
Peter99
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN & 214270
Everyone seems to be wearing an Apple watch and I never will, as my iphone 13 Pro does me nicely.
I want to be different and I wear my Exp 39mm Mk1 with Mk2 dial and hands, in the spa, in the steam room, in the sauna, in the pool. Cannot say I have ever seen an Apple watch in these places!
Peter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 12:53 AM   #44
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Rolex and other mechanical watches were relegated to jewelry at the same time. Albeit functional and tough jewelry that could be utilized as a backup to modern instruments.
This is the truth that many around TRF don't want to hear / believe.

Watches are jewelry at this point, especially ones that cost 5 figures but provide the same functionality as those that cost $20 - but so what if they are? I'll never wear a smart watch because 1.) They're ugly and 2.) I don't need all that info on my wrist.

I'd much rather gaze at something amazing on my wrist that feels great and is over-engineered (the depth ratings on these things!) than look at another tiny computer screen that gives me no joy whatsoever and leaves me feeling cold.
Old 8 June 2022, 01:27 AM   #45
Speedsleev
"TRF" Member

I have an Apple Watch and a Garmin that go on for running and cycling, other than that, they are complete distractions. Just my opinion of course. I always have a Rolex or a Speedmaster on my wrist at all times.
Speedsleev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 01:43 AM   #46
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
This is the truth that many around TRF don't want to hear / believe.

Watches are jewelry at this point, especially ones that cost 5 figures but provide the same functionality as those that cost $20 - but so what if they are? I'll never wear a smart watch because 1.) They're ugly and 2.) I don't need all that info on my wrist.

I'd much rather gaze at something amazing on my wrist that feels great and is over-engineered (the depth ratings on these things!) than look at another tiny computer screen that gives me no joy whatsoever and leaves me feeling cold.
In many parts of the world, and in many environments, a real watch is necessary. Yes mechanical watches are primarily jewelry but still have utility.

How often must an Apple watch be charged? Once a day. Worthless in many cases. G-shocks make more sense for anyone wanting to tell time and be off the grid.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 02:40 AM   #47
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Those tech watches are hard on the eyes
Old 8 June 2022, 03:38 AM   #48
Watchsama
"TRF" Member

Sounds more like you turned yourself into a Tamagotchi
Watchsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 03:44 AM   #49
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I don't like the on/off display. I guess you can program to leave on but that drains the battery quicker.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 03:51 AM   #50
Axelle838
"TRF" Member

I had an Apple Watch a few years ago, but the constant notifications drove me insane and I sold it. Now I only wear a Rolex.
Axelle838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 03:56 AM   #51
GTak
"TRF" Member

Love my Garmin Venu. It can store music to play to my earbuds, so I can leave my phone at home when i go on runs. Monitors my heart rate, pace, distance, etc. I turn off the notifications, so thats a non issue.

Two different categories of watches. Rolex is a piece of jewelry for fashion that also tells time. Smart watches are tools for fitness or communications. The overlap is minimal
GTak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 04:16 AM   #52
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Not for me. I enjoy my anachronisms.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 04:37 AM   #53
joa
"TRF" Member

i have to say i was for a long time very surprised that Rolex & co survived the constant onslaught of top-notch smart watches and technological innovations.

yes, Rolex, with all their reliability and sturdiness have some utilitarian value as well, and this is very important, but it alone can hardly explain the premium people are willing to pay for such an item.

so, it must be something else that gives them value, and the word "jewellery" has already been brought up.

In addition to that, i would say it's a bit like buying a piece of modern art, which is you want to capture for yourself a piece of an important idea, Zeitgeist or sentiment.
Old 8 June 2022, 05:05 AM   #54
Clon3
"TRF" Member

Live and relax a little. Your brain needs some rest, so just put on something nice, enjoy and smile when you look at your wrist. We are already way too overburdened by the amount of tech/notifications in our life.
Clon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 05:20 AM   #55
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTasty View Post
I don't need a watch to tell me how unhealthy I am.
I have a mirror for that.
Well, if it’s this mirror, you may want to reconsider the Smart watch!
https://www.mirror.co/
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 05:30 AM   #56
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by joa View Post
i have to say i was for a long time very surprised that Rolex & co survived the constant onslaught of top-notch smart watches and technological innovations.

yes, Rolex, with all their reliability and sturdiness have some utilitarian value as well, and this is very important, but it alone can hardly explain the premium people are willing to pay for such an item.

so, it must be something else that gives them value, and the word "jewellery" has already been brought up.

In addition to that, i would say it's a bit like buying a piece of modern art, which is you want to capture for yourself a piece of an important idea, Zeitgeist or sentiment.
Smart watches are the new "tool" watches. Really quite astonishing tools really.

Maybe a watch is jewelry. "Adornment" of a kind. Or they can be. For me a Rolex (and of course it doesn't have to be a Rolex) is a kind of wearable art. Great design, great functionality and reliability, deliberately anachronistic while still being thoroughly modern. They are interesting. After not even wearing a watch for at least 10 years I've been surprised at how much I enjoy my sub that picked up 3 years ago.
csaltphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 05:40 AM   #57
BigTasty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonbalch View Post
Well, if it’s this mirror, you may want to reconsider the Smart watch!
https://www.mirror.co/
I say mirror, I mean reflection in the sweet jar.
BigTasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 05:46 AM   #58
omx5o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Ranger
*duplicate post*
omx5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 06:03 AM   #59
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
To each their own Mark, but all that information, the constant bombardment, would drive me nuts.

I’ll stick to my mechanical watches. They bring me serenity now

This
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2022, 06:22 AM   #60
RogerOP
Banned

Why do people say “the phone alerts annoyed me”.

You DO know you can turn them off?!
RogerOP is offline   Reply With Quote