The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 April 2023, 01:37 AM   #31
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhoppes View Post
I’ve been looking hard at sub ceramics date and no date (the 40mm models). However I’ve kind of been starting to draw a bit towards a sea dweller. I notice it’s not very popular however. I’ll only have one Rolex so it’ll be a daily wear. I have just shy of 7.5” wrist. Any insights and pictures appreciated.

I have a similar sized wrist and the Submariner vs Sea Dweller was a struggle. Finally chose the Submariner due to no date and lack of cyclops. If the Sea Dweller did not have the cyclops, might have gone that route.

I never considered the Deep Sea due to colored dial and dial ring.
Old 2 April 2023, 01:55 AM   #32
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

The sweet spot in the larger sub family for me remains the later versions of the five digit Sea Dwellers (16600). The new ones are too big and shiny and now having a cyclops is a big negative. And the 16600 is already a big and heavy watch. I don’t understand why anyone would go even bigger than that.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 02:09 AM   #33
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
If you want a watch you can share with your wife or GF then get the sub, she will love it, JK. Seriously, the SD43 is an awesome watch. Been my daily for 4 years and still looks spectacular. Flys a bit under the radar but it is really kind of the big brother to the sub.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 02:16 AM   #34
Linuxpenguins
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k - Sky D
SD4k. 116600. Those who know..

Ω Swatch X Omega Mission to Jupiter (SO33C100)
Linuxpenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 03:13 AM   #35
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Love all subs. Bought SD43, loved the way it looked, but by the end of the was painful due to protruding caseback.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought this at first too about the SD43, BUT ..... Since I removed the diver's extension and sized the bracelet properly, I find it extremely comfortable and a great daily.

I've owned every ceramic Sub ... 40mm and 41mm, date and no-date, and by far my favorite modern diver is the SD43. Just more special, chunky cool, vintage-inspired with the red writing and semi-matte dial, and better wrist presence than the regular Sub.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 03:40 AM   #36
triple.lindy

Talk to Me About The Deep Sea or Sea Dweller

I own all 3 (JC, sd43, LV) and have right at 7” wrist. I could make any of the 3 a daily but if I had to chose 1 it would probably be the sub 41. It’s just a little more comfortable and easier to wear but it depends on what you’re priorities are.

Comfort and ease of wear, slipping under a dress cuff? A little more wrist presence? The most wrist presence and a special dial(JC)? Can’t go wrong with either of them, it’s just what is most important to you.

As someone else mentioned, the SD4k is an option but may be closer to the sub 41 price. Same size as the 40mm sub but slightly chunkier and cooler in my opinion. Date with no cyclops. Wish I never let mine go…

triple.lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 03:45 AM   #37
stogie113
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionkwj View Post
The SeaDweller is an occasion piece; the Sub a daily

What pictures don’t relate is the weight and height of the SeaDweller. The Sub is almost too high itself but livable while the Sea Dweller is completely unbalanced on the wrist.

Now if you like that kind of a thing, the SeaDweller is your watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really, it depends highly on one's wrist and stature.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
stogie113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 04:40 AM   #38
Kevzep
"TRF" Member

I have the earlier Deep Sea Sea Dweller.
1166600, I love it.
I have always been drawn to them simply because they are an astounding piece of engineering, I like sports watches, and I like to be a bit different.

I love the GMT and want to add one to my collection, but they do wear smaller than I would like on me, the 44mm Deep Sea feels right on my 7 3/4" wrist...
Kevzep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 06:43 AM   #39
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
7.25 wrist, love my SD43 and D-Blue . Wear my SD most of the time , the perfect size and comfort . These SD bashing threads come up quite often , not the first and certainly not the last .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 01:53 PM   #40
Carguy87

Watch: JC 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie113 View Post
Really, it depends highly on one's wrist and stature.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Fact. I’m 6’1”, broad shouldered and about 300lbs so for me (IMO) my JC doesn’t look out of place or too large on my wrist. That said, I can see how those of smaller stature may not be as comfortable dailying one. It’s really a good idea to try one on if you can and go from there. Can’t beat the JC dial though!
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 03:03 PM   #41
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ36 & BB54
The SD is a great watch and technically a better watch than a Submariner.

They key here is to buy a watch that fits you. Loads of pics on this thread look like people have taken a dinner plate and slapped it on their wrist. You really need to try on all watches on your shortlist and make a call from there.

Don’t rush into buying a watch thats maybe too big for you just because it fits your budget.

OG1982 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 05:30 PM   #42
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

DSSD is one heck of a comfortable watch to daily.. DO NOT let the case thickness you see on so many photos online fool you. You got to try it on your wrist before you decide. The SD43 might be smaller watch than the DSSD, but weirdly it is not comfortable to wear and that matt dial may look die hard tool watch but the JC blue dial under the sun looks absolutely sublime!
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 09:12 PM   #43
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
The fumee dial and the glide lock are the best parts of it. I had it for a few months and loved it, but in the end like many folks I just didn’t like the size and sold it. Submariner is way more wearable so I ended up with that.

I miss it sometimes but I just look at my
Pictures with it and see why I sold it. My advice is to buy it if you can and try to see how you like it for a few months. It’s definitely interesting and I won’t lie, the bracelet is best in class. Once you know how to glide lock with one hand, it’s phenomenal. It has ruined many bracelets for me, and I will never wear leather or anything with holes now. Adjustments ok the fly is what I want.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 10:16 PM   #44
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
For me the decision comes down to what else you have in your collection.

The SD 43 and the DSSD are amazing technical divers, but not daily wearers. The Submariner is much more comfortable for a daily (for me), YMMV
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 11:05 PM   #45
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I like my SD 43 but it’s not my daily driver. I use it more for beach, vacations, etc. in the summer with short sleeves it gets more use. I use others as a daily driver that are smaller.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 11:16 PM   #46
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1982 View Post

They key here is to buy a watch that fits you. Loads of pics on this thread look like people have taken a dinner plate and slapped it on their wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
The fumee dial and the glide lock are the best parts of it. I had it for a few months and loved it, but in the end like many folks I just didn’t like the size and sold it. Submariner is way more wearable so I ended up with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
The SD 43 and the DSSD are amazing technical divers, but not daily wearers. The Submariner is much more comfortable for a daily (for me), YMMV
Couldn't agree more, especially in regards to:
"Loads of pics on this thread look like people have taken a dinner plate and slapped it on their wrist."
Old 3 April 2023, 12:05 AM   #47
fishingbear

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
My 43mm SD on my 7.5” wrist…
I love the watch but the older I get the more chunky it feels on my wrist when worn daily.
I find the 116600 discontinued Sea Dweller reference is more comfortable for a daily wearer and tends to be a rare species as for the just 2 1/2 year production run.
As mentioned above, Rolex did hit a sweet spot with that new 41mm Sub as a comfortable daily diver so you may want to look into that option. Buy what suits you, it’s great to have options, good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9E4AB9D8-2E10-4E13-80F1-2827DBE1F84F.jpeg (192.9 KB, 149 views)
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 12:38 AM   #48
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I own a Submariner, the Hulk, the SD43 and the DSSD JC. All are cool watches and with a 7.5-7.75 inch wrist I can daily any of them and sometimes do just that. I have found that sizing the SD43 and the DSSD are key to comfort and wear. The Submariner is easier and more forgiving due to the size. I am a huge fan of the Submariner-C ND but in the end, it is a boring watch, in a good way but to me my Tudor Black Bay 41 does the job at a fraction of the cost. If I had to pick it would probably be the SD43 based on my wrist size, dial/bezel and red text. For me it is what a Submariner is for my wrist size.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 12:57 AM   #49
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Talk to Me About The Deep Sea or Sea Dweller

I wear my SD4K (Sea dweller 116600) as a daily, it’s the perfect sized diver in my opinion at 40mm but has a little bit more substantial chunk than the Sub does. I’ve owned the SD43 and the 114060 and this has been my favorite diver by far but everyone is different, but what you want.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 02:06 AM   #50
MickCollins1916
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
I own the SD4K, SD43, 16660, and 16600. I love them all. I’ve tried the DSSD on in various iterations, but it’s too big and thick for me personally.

I’ve rocked SD43 for extended periods of time and find it very comfortable. But the SD4K is my all-time favorite watch without a close second. Perfect daily for me.

Also, I do not care whether they’re popular or not - different strokes and whatnot. Buy what you love.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 02:23 AM   #51
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
I thought this at first too about the SD43, BUT ..... Since I removed the diver's extension and sized the bracelet properly, I find it extremely comfortable and a great daily.

I've owned every ceramic Sub ... 40mm and 41mm, date and no-date, and by far my favorite modern diver is the SD43. Just more special, chunky cool, vintage-inspired with the red writing and semi-matte dial, and better wrist presence than the regular Sub.
This is a surprise to me seeing as how you also wear a vintage Daytona, similar (I would imagine) to my 321.

I do alternate back and forth but I always find when I go from the 321 to the SD43, it feels a bit “too large” for my liking.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 04:43 AM   #52
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I find the SD43 sexier and the closest thing to perfection for what I value in a diver. The DSSD is a bit on the goofy side to me personally. Black DSSD is kind of alright (don't like the tiny dial lost inside the ringlock) but too tall for my taste. JC gradient dial, meh. Try them on at a dealer and go with your gut.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 04:51 AM   #53
aehaas
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS Challenge
'Funny how people refer to watches as "too big" to wear compared to their regular watches.

It is the opposite for me. All my watches are at least 43mm up to the DSC at 50mm. I tried on a Daytona to determine if I liked it and wanted to order one. I told the AD it was way too small for me. I would not wear it if they gave it to me.

44 to 46mm is ideal for me though I could go larger. Less than 43mm is a NO. And this is sad as there are many great watches in the 38 - 40mm size that are spectacular. But not for me.

Ali, 7.5" (wrist size).
aehaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 07:02 AM   #54
DJFanUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Had the choice between the 41mm sub and the SD43.... Having tried both on previously I went with what was more comfortable and what I thought looked better on my wrist. The SD43 won me over instantly.

But what suits you once you have the watch on your wrist not what you think will suit you from everyone else's opinios....

7.25 wrist for my own reference not yours haha haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220408_132205_copy_931x877.jpg (242.2 KB, 120 views)
Old 8 June 2024, 11:41 PM   #55
martyjanderson
"TRF" Member

Watch: omega sm chronogra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFanUK View Post
Had the choice between the 41mm sub and the SD43.... Having tried both on previously I went with what was more comfortable and what I thought looked better on my wrist. The SD43 won me over instantly.

But what suits you once you have the watch on your wrist not what you think will suit you from everyone else's opinios....

7.25 wrist for my own reference not yours haha haha
Stunning watch and actually fits perfectly on you.
martyjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote