The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 December 2023, 08:54 PM   #31
MrBlobby
"TRF" Member

Just put a big scratch on the case so that it doesn’t look new.
MrBlobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2023, 09:04 PM   #32
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I travel with digital copies of my receipt, warranty card, and date stamped pictures of the watch I’m wearing.

I’ve never been asked but you never know …

I also pack my watch in my carry on just prior to entering security. I’d rather not inconvenience other travelers or scramble to find a safe place to set my watch if security asks me to remove it. YMMV.
100%
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2023, 10:01 PM   #33
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

I’m clearly in the minority here, but I never wear a nice watch when traveling for personal pleasure. I have a Citizen eco for that. The pleasure of wearing a nice watch is outweighed by the piece of mind of having one less thing to worry about.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2023, 10:14 PM   #34
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
I acquired a PM DayDate while traveling aboard and declared it upon arrival. They sent me to the CBP office that deals with large purchases abroad to speak to them. They took a Quick Look at the watch, apologized for holding us up and sent us on our way with out paying anything

I asked the guy to confirm I can go cos I was surprised and he grinned and said you are good, thanks for declaring it, had you not this could have gone differently

Moral of the story. Declare it. They are trying to catch real bad guys and not citizens coming and going with personal possessions. They were exceptionally polite and easy to work with
Old 22 December 2023, 01:21 AM   #35
huba01
"TRF" Member

I work for a global company and been travelling close to 200 days for 15+ years and never ever had to take my Rolex off at security or problems with customs, so don´t worry.
huba01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2023, 02:11 AM   #36
doyall
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Cautionary tale:

https://www.fratellowatches.com/bewa...eting-watches/
doyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2023, 02:56 AM   #37
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Copy Paste from US Customs website,
"Gifts

A non-resident may bring gifts totaling $100 in value to the U.S. duty free. Any gift items over that amount will be dutiable at the same rates as gifts exceeding $800 for a returning resident (see next paragraph).

As a returning resident, you are entitled to a duty-free exemption for newly purchased goods up to the value of $800 if the goods accompany you when you arrive in the U.S. Goods in excess of $800 that accompany you are dutiable at a flat rate of 3 percent for the next $1000 in value, goods that are not covered by the personal exemption or flat rate of duty (anything over $1800) are assessed duty in accordance with the item’s Harmonized Tariff Schedule classification number. (Schedule available on the U.S. Trade Commission’s website .)"
DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2023, 08:45 AM   #38
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrocop View Post
Nope. I've never been asked to take it off. Never declared it. Never been asked about it.
x2

There is a thread here in the General Discussion forum about a member who recently traveled from the US to India & ran into a customs agent who was trying to shake him down.

Exercise your own caution, I guess. I wouldn't wear one to India, but I would wear one domestically.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2023, 01:05 PM   #39
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Pretty sure this falls into the “”way overthinking it” category. Do women declare their engagement rings?
Old 22 December 2023, 04:30 PM   #40
calpenguin
"TRF" Member

does your wife declare her diamond ring when moving through customs? I believe as long as it's a personal item that's being worn, it doesn't really raise any red flags
calpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 11:19 AM   #41
kenm
"TRF" Member

So many thoughtful and intelligent responses. I love this forum. I’ll be taking Bluesy to Canada in a few weeks. Thanks all! Ken
kenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 12:32 PM   #42
Apdl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN Finally!
Quote:
Originally Posted by donv View Post
The answer is "no." The $10,000 thing is for money you are bringing into the country, and CBP defines money as follows:

"Money" means monetary instruments and includes U.S. or foreign coins currently in circulation, currency, travelers' checks in any form, money orders, and negotiable instruments or investment securities in bearer form.

You can bring all the personal possessions you want into the country, and it's none of their business. If you bought it outside the US and are bringing it in for the first time then, yes, you do have to declare it, and pay duty on it. But if you already own it or bought it in the US, then you don't have to do anything.
This
They are looking for currency, not how much your drips worth.
Apdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2023, 08:36 AM   #43
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniconic View Post
I think you are conflating several different customs rules.

You have to declare if you have cash (or cash equivalents) of more than $10,000 when entering the US. You do not pay duty on it, you just have to declare it. Specifically, you must file form FinCEN Form 105.

If you bought something in the US, take it out with you, then bring it back, you do not have to declare it and you do not have to pay duty on it, regardless of the value. You can get CBP Form 4457 and have it filled out prior to departure.

If you bought something in another country and are bringing it back, then you generally pay duty on anything over your allowance. The allowance can vary depending upon which country. If you fail to declare, then there can be penalties in addition to the duty.
A 100% complete and correct answer.

Probably a little frustrating to watch it go on ???
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote