The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 June 2024, 02:38 AM   #31
Neil McCauley
Banned

Honestly, I don't understand why everyone gets so wound up about this topic.

Give a gift/thank you or don't give a gift/thank you, who cares. It's your business and nobody elses.

If YOU feel like you should or want to, then go right ahead.
don't judge others for doing so.
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 02:45 AM   #32
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
It reeks of brown-nosing rather than simply being nice to someone. My salesperson mentioned in passing that the dealership actually forbids "tips", "gratuities", "gifts", etc. and it will worsen chances of being allocated an in-demand model.

It's a discussion forum, so yes, such actions will be judged.

The above is just my opinion of course.
S.Explorer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 03:10 AM   #33
Neil McCauley
Banned

Back about 20yrs ago or so, not long after I left school, I found myself working in a BMW dealership as a young guy in sales. (I don't work in that field anymore) We would have customers who we considered "close", and they would always be treated with a slightly higher level of service, because they came in and spent time with us, chatted about cars etc, lots of stuff.

These kinds of clients, on occasion, if they were over the moon with something, would often bring in bottles of wine, whisky, tickets to a football match or something, it just, happened every so often. It was so nice to know that you'd made a difference enough to these people that they felt as though they wanted to go out of their way to let you know you did a good job, and they were happy. Funnily enough, if a new car came out that was relatively rare or whatever, they tended to get first dibs, that's just how it worked. (it wasn't quite like it is now, things like E46 CSL's etc were like the Stainless Steel Daytona of their day)

It's something that's stuck with me ever since. I understand some of the jerks they have to deal with on a daily basis (some of them are probably like some of you here who think it's "pathetic" or disgusting or whatever to just be nice and show a token of appreciation), and how having someone who is on the complete opposite end of the scale can make the whole job worthwhile.

On another note. My Father owned a Fishing Tackle store. It was a family business that went back a couple of generations, and as such had some long-term customers, as you can imagine.
At Christmas, he would often get a box of chocolates or a Christmas card from these customers. They never got anything particularly special in return or were treated any differently; it was just common courtesy and an unnecessary nicety that kind of just happened. People just went out of their way to be nice, because it worked both ways, I guess my Dad was especially nice to them.

My point is, there's absolutely nothing wrong with showing a bit of gratitude; it's an old-school premise that seems to be dying off, along with people's general manners and the downfall of people's general demeanour towards each other. It's one of the other things online shopping has ruined in some ways because now we have far fewer interactions with people in this way than ever before.
Like I said in another post, it's common, or at least was to give your milkman or your binman a box of chocolates or a drink at Christmas. (my grandmother always did) and to me, there's nothing wrong with that at all.

Brown-nosing? Well, I guess my nose must be brown, then.
Old 7 June 2024, 03:25 AM   #34
idk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Back about 20yrs ago or so, not long after I left school, I found myself working in a BMW dealership as a young guy in sales. (I don't work in that field anymore) We would have customers who we considered "close", and they would always be treated with a slightly higher level of service, because they came in and spent time with us, chatted about cars etc, lots of stuff.

These kinds of clients, on occasion, if they were over the moon with something, would often bring in bottles of wine, whisky, tickets to a football match or something, it just, happened every so often. It was so nice to know that you'd made a difference enough to these people that they felt as though they wanted to go out of their way to let you know you did a good job, and they were happy. Funnily enough, if a new car came out that was relatively rare or whatever, they tended to get first dibs, that's just how it worked. (it wasn't quite like it is now, things like E46 CSL's etc were like the Stainless Steel Daytona of their day)

It's something that's stuck with me ever since. I understand some of the jerks they have to deal with on a daily basis (some of them are probably like some of you here who think it's "pathetic" or disgusting or whatever to just be nice and show a token of appreciation), and how having someone who is on the complete opposite end of the scale can make the whole job worthwhile.

On another note. My Father owned a Fishing Tackle store. It was a family business that went back a couple of generations, and as such had some long-term customers, as you can imagine.
At Christmas, he would often get a box of chocolates or a Christmas card from these customers. They never got anything particularly special in return or were treated any differently; it was just common courtesy and an unnecessary nicety that kind of just happened. People just went out of their way to be nice, because it worked both ways, I guess my Dad was especially nice to them.

My point is, there's absolutely nothing wrong with showing a bit of gratitude; it's an old-school premise that seems to be dying off, along with people's general manners and the downfall of people's general demeanour towards each other. It's one of the other things online shopping has ruined in some ways because now we have far fewer interactions with people in this way than ever before.
Like I said in another post, it's common, or at least was to give your milkman or your binman a box of chocolates or a drink at Christmas. (my grandmother always did) and to me, there's nothing wrong with that at all.

Brown-nosing? Well, I guess my nose must be brown, then.
Surreal
idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 04:56 AM   #35
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
It amuses me how this topic keeps coming up.

I thank my AD salesperson by returning to the store every-so-often to buy something else, or get something fixed, and sharing with him the pleasure of my company.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 04:58 AM   #36
6172crew
"TRF" Member

I gave my AD a military challenge coin.
6172crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 05:02 AM   #37
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Gratitude is my favorite quality.

I show gratitude within reason to anyone that goes above and beyond with me. Whenever I've purchased a watch, a car, a home or closed any large deal, I have always shown up with a small token of appreciation. A box of chocolates, some boutique Colombian Coffee that I enjoy and where I am from, a bottle of wine.

I'm sure a THANK YOU would suffice, but that's not the kind of person that I am. I like to show appreciation with a small object or gift.
Old 7 June 2024, 06:51 AM   #38
77T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 08:00 AM   #39
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I sometimes give a gift and sometimes I don’t.

Around $100 value. Usually closer to $75.

I really don’t think it’s inappropriate nor do I think any reasonable person can consider this a bribe. You would have to think lowly of an SA to think they can be bought off with a modest bottle of wine. I certainly don’t think that way.

It can be a nice gesture of appreciation but definitely not required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 08:14 AM   #40
psv
2024 Pledge Member

I have never, and will never, give a gratuity to an employee for selling me a watch that I'm paying hard earned money for. YMMV.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 08:18 AM   #41
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rhino View Post
I did a search and was unsuccessful in finding an answer to my query. A Sales Associate is delivering a specific Rolex I have been wanting for at least a year (I'll post it up when picked up). What, if any, is a good gratuity for a SA that gets you what you want?
A "Thank you" is all I've ever given.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 08:27 AM   #42
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I have never, and will never, give a gratuity to an employee for selling me a watch that I'm paying hard earned money for. YMMV.
Give it a go, it feels nice
Old 7 June 2024, 08:39 AM   #43
psv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Give it a go, it feels nice
It makes you feel "nice" to give money to sales people selling you a luxury good not afforded by 99% of the people on earth? Why? In order to get the opportunity to buy another one?

I donate money to other causes.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 08:51 AM   #44
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Gratuity Gift for Rolex Sales Associate?

Not directing this at anyone in particular, but I always feel most of the people saying they never give anything to their rep come across as angry and grumpy individuals and those that say they sometimes give a modest gift seem to be more happy and well-adjusted people with at least a modicum of empathy.

Just an observation…

jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 09:00 AM   #45
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
It makes you feel "nice" to give money to sales people selling you a luxury good not afforded by 99% of the people on earth? Why? In order to get the opportunity to buy another one?

I donate money to other causes.
I explained why in my long post above - nothing to do with getting more pieces.

Nice to know you're also charitable, too - don't assume I am not. Can gladly provide receipts of my donations before you go making assumptions.
just an FYI - you do know it's not mandatory to have an aggressive undertone in your replies, right?
Old 7 June 2024, 09:03 AM   #46
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Not directing this at anyone in particular, but I always feel most of the people saying they never give anything to their rep come across as angry and grumpy individuals and those that say they sometimes give a modest gift seem to be more happy and well-adjusted people with at least a modicum of empathy.

Just an observation…

Haha what a great observation indeed!
Old 7 June 2024, 09:16 AM   #47
CaptT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post

Just an observation…
Ha, keen observation.
CaptT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 09:25 AM   #48
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I wouldn’t tip an SA that made you wait a year.

L_S_SHOE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 09:31 AM   #49
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_S_SHOE View Post
I wouldn’t tip an SA that made you wait a year.

Just out of interest, do you think they were, in fact, able to give you whatever you and everyone else wanted sooner but simply chose not to?
Old 7 June 2024, 09:39 AM   #50
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
You do whatever makes you feel good.

I have a relationship with an AD rep that spans over 20 years. The last 10 that relationship has turned into friendship and we will often go out to dinner or they will come to my home for a bbq and drinks.
Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 09:41 AM   #51
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
A thank you is sufficient.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 09:50 AM   #52
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 173rdabn View Post
A thank you is sufficient.
Indeed.

Tipping every Tom, Dick, and Harry for the course of their job is getting completely out of hand..... especially somebody who just made a pretty penny with their sale.

It wasn't that many years ago that my SA would send a wine/coffee basket to the house after I made a big purchase, my how the worm has turned.
Old 7 June 2024, 09:58 AM   #53
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800

Quote:
Just out of interest, do you think they were, in fact, able to give you whatever you and everyone else wanted sooner but simply chose not to?

This is a legitimate question.

I believe that many of the in-demand pieces are in the safe or will be soon, but not enough to give one to anyone who wants one. Then there’s the reality of the business; Rolex doesn’t send them enough watches to sell to cover their overhead, so they need you to spend more in the store before they’ll sell you the in-demand watch. The watch is just the carrot.

But those rules don’t apply to everyone. The right person can get what they want with no spend history and with no or little wait.

Back to the OPs question and my response. He was made to wait a year. Unless it was a truly rare piece, the SA did him no favors and was simply doing his job. Nothing wrong with that, but this service doesn’t warrant a tip.

L_S_SHOE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 10:56 AM   #54
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Should be the other way round the AD SA was only doing what he is paid for selling watches to the public who enters his retail shop.
What if the he is a she?
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 10:57 AM   #55
saltyandwet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rhino View Post
I did a search and was unsuccessful in finding an answer to my query. A Sales Associate is delivering a specific Rolex I have been wanting for at least a year (I'll post it up when picked up). What, if any, is a good gratuity for a SA that gets you what you want?
You have to gift your SA, in cash, the exact amount of the watch, in small, untraceable denomination.
saltyandwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 11:04 AM   #56
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
Exquisite wine and/or quality tequila tastings are apparently quite popular @ the AD (or so I hear.)
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 11:06 AM   #57
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

I just got an allocation that, from what I understand, I had no business getting. The AD doesn’t allow gifts, but if they did, the SA would definitely get a bottle of something.

There is definitely an undertone on this forum from some people think of salespeople as beneath them. Or that doing something nice for a service worker can only be a bribe.

Even though I paid the AD for a watch, he did me a favor. The fact that I paid for it doesn’t really matter. He sold me a watch that he could have easily sold it to someone else. He did something nice for me that he didn’t have to.

In normal human interaction this can result in a token of appreciation. Only in this world where people’s brains are so addled that they aren’t able to get watches so people view these salespeople a so far beneath them that they don’t deserve even a small inexpensive token.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 11:29 AM   #58
CaptT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Indeed.

Tipping every Tom, Dick, and Harry for the course of their job is getting completely out of hand..... especially somebody who just made a pretty penny with their sale.

It wasn't that many years ago that my SA would send a wine/coffee basket to the house after I made a big purchase, my how the worm has turned.
Agreed, tipping a highly commissioned sales rep regardless of the industry is probably over the top. Though a note or even a small token of appreciation seems reasonable, and not out of place. (Related - I have heard from several AD reps that they’re not commissioned on Rolex, given the nature of Rolex demand and presumably it’s not so much of a “sale” as it is fulfilling an order. Not sure that mandates a significant tip, though.)

And that must have been nice to get the gift basket and coffee. Similarly, years ago I had a rep surprise me with an engraved necklace for my better half after a steel Rolex dive watch purchase. It was a very thoughtful gesture, unnecessary but endearing. To your point there was a time when reps and ADs were looking for ways to delight customers above and beyond the basic purchase transaction.
CaptT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 11:51 AM   #59
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I just sent my VCA guy a thank you card with a $200 VISA gift card in it.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 11:59 AM   #60
Equity
"TRF" Member

I haven’t purchased with anyone other than the owner. A bottle of Momento Mori as a thank you.

Equity is offline   Reply With Quote