The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 10 June 2024, 11:54 PM   #31
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
I agree it's a bit of a steal for a PM ROO with a complication but it wouldn't be anyone's first second or third AP choice; it's for someone who already has a large portfolio of a collection.

The 44mm size and thickness makes it a bit niche and you couldn't really pull it off as a dress watch. Personally I'd add that I find the dial a bit too busy and hard to read, while the tourb is covered unfortunately by the bridge to a good extent.

You get a lot of watch for the money but unless you're conkers, $100k gets you a lot of other watches that are probably higher on the immediate "want" list... That's my take why you get such a deal
All very fair points!
Old 11 June 2024, 04:18 AM   #32
Jp28
"TRF" Member

Well I guess this really is a question for me given a 7.25in wrist and I own both the RG and Pt 44 ‘standard’ ROO (with the RG being my favorite watch I own) !!
So I have agree the tourb version are relatively good value and I have looked at them a lot over the past 2-3 years given their relatively good pricing. I have not jumped for one as;
1) even if I sell both ROO I have to fund a tourb I would still need to put even more €€ on top of the two. Only so much €€ I can afford to put in :)
2) I like having the two metals so going to one would be a hard call
3) while I know manual wind is seen as more ‘purist’ I still like auto. Overall prefer open worked for AP complication
4) If I need/have to I could get out of one of my existing ROO relatively unscathed but I think the tourb would be really painful (note my RG ROO is a long term keeper, even still prefer it to 43, at least for now)
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 05:31 AM   #33
J.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Indeed. Here’s mine - 10 piece edition. There was a platinum bezel version too but I went with ceramic for practicality reasons.
Love it! I have the White Gold Japan version with Ceramic bezel. Probably my favorite offshore, and limited to 50. A friend also has one of the 50 that he recently purchased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220406_125542.jpg (282.7 KB, 256 views)
J.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 10:21 AM   #34
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp28 View Post
Well I guess this really is a question for me given a 7.25in wrist and I own both the RG and Pt 44 ‘standard’ ROO (with the RG being my favorite watch I own) !!
So I have agree the tourb version are relatively good value and I have looked at them a lot over the past 2-3 years given their relatively good pricing. I have not jumped for one as;
1) even if I sell both ROO I have to fund a tourb I would still need to put even more €€ on top of the two. Only so much €€ I can afford to put in :)
2) I like having the two metals so going to one would be a hard call
3) while I know manual wind is seen as more ‘purist’ I still like auto. Overall prefer open worked for AP complication
4) If I need/have to I could get out of one of my existing ROO relatively unscathed but I think the tourb would be really painful (note my RG ROO is a long term keeper, even still prefer it to 43, at least for now)
A difficult dilemma but no bad answers there - all great pieces!
Old 11 June 2024, 10:44 AM   #35
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T. View Post
Love it! I have the White Gold Japan version with Ceramic bezel. Probably my favorite offshore, and limited to 50. A friend also has one of the 50 that he recently purchased.
Super cool piece congrats!
Old 11 June 2024, 11:09 AM   #36
APhound
"TRF" Member

I think they’re probably really cool. Like most APs you have to see them in person to appreciate. My favorite watch I’ve ever tried on is the 43 flying tourbillon. I bet if I saw you wearing yours I’d freak out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 11:40 AM   #37
nazarian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhound View Post
I think they’re probably really cool. Like most APs you have to see them in person to appreciate. My favorite watch I’ve ever tried on is the 43 flying tourbillon. I bet if I saw you wearing yours I’d freak out!

This one def has the wow factor the other one was lacking imo
nazarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 10:44 PM   #38
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:

For sure an amazing piece but that is 300k vs 100k. Different ball game.
Old 12 June 2024, 05:10 AM   #39
impactplayer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T. View Post
Wow, haven't seen this variant before. It's incredible!
impactplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 06:47 AM   #40
Armis
"TRF" Member

he

Quote:
Indeed. Here’s mine - 10 piece edition. There was a platinum bezel version too but I went with ceramic for practicality reasons.
THIS is an excellent specimen, Roger. I don’t know why Japan/Asia gets all the better releases, but this is a platinum ROO I can appreciate!
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 10:06 AM   #41
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
THIS is an excellent specimen, Roger. I don’t know why Japan/Asia gets all the better releases, but this is a platinum ROO I can appreciate!
I don’t know the actual numbers but my sense is that Yoshida has more ultra VIP AP collectors than most other markets combined. Hence the vast array of limited series.
Old 12 June 2024, 10:13 AM   #42
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately, only got to try it on, but man, what a watch! The detail and bridges are amazing and zero chance a picture can do it justice. I think this might be my favorite watch I have ever tried on. The Ti QP is right there as well.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 12:49 PM   #43
APhound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post

Unfortunately, only got to try it on, but man, what a watch! The detail and bridges are amazing and zero chance a picture can do it justice. I think this might be my favorite watch I have ever tried on. The Ti QP is right there as well.

I could pretty much clean house for that thing. What else would I need?

APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 12:59 PM   #44
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I could pretty much clean house for that thing. What else would I need?

Nothing I can think of

I have been blessed with a wrist, that IMHO can pull off the size. I would wear it with shorts, jeans, a suit or a tux!

And, if while wearing that tux in say Monaco, you end up in a pool or the ocean.....100M WR

The rose gold bridges were just.....amazing. I would be stoked to see how something like this would look with sand gold.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 03:43 PM   #45
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So I own both of these (with the rose gold model having the ceramic bezel upgrade). I love them but genuinely interested in the community’s views on why they are so unloved? RG can be had for 100, platinum not much more and one platinum version sold at Phillips below 100 recently.

Surely a huge amount of watch for the money?

Too big? Too heavy? Not attractive? No offence will be taken!

I don’t think they are very attractive honestly- looks ugly imo sorry

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 09:25 PM   #46
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I don’t think they are very attractive honestly- looks ugly imo sorry

Fair enough! You mean these two specific models I assume rather than 44mm offshores generally? Any particularly aspect that you don’t like?
Old 13 June 2024, 01:31 AM   #47
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fair enough! You mean these two specific models I assume rather than 44mm offshores generally? Any particularly aspect that you don’t like?
I just don't like the look of the dial of these two specifically, looks cluttered and confusing. Generally, I always liked the ROO - I used to have one myself.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 01:41 AM   #48
J.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Super cool piece congrats!
Slowly growing my collection and just trying to be like you when I grow up!

I almost pulled the trigger on the Japan PT but I already have 6 other variants of 44mm, so I passed. Looking for some special 41mm RO models currently
Old 13 June 2024, 01:41 AM   #49
J.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactplayer View Post
Wow, haven't seen this variant before. It's incredible!
Yea I've had it a few years. It never gets old. I haven't seen another on here previously.
Old 13 June 2024, 02:22 AM   #50
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
Usually not a fan of quoting large pictures in replies, but in this case it's justified. If I had to pick one AP to replace my entire collection, this (or the Ti version) would probably be it.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 02:24 AM   #51
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's an IYKYK watch, for sure
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 09:50 AM   #52
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I just don't like the look of the dial of these two specifically, looks cluttered and confusing. Generally, I always liked the ROO - I used to have one myself.
Thanks for coming back and appreciate the thoughts.
Old 13 June 2024, 10:58 AM   #53
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Personally, I really like smaller watches as I find them more confortable, harder to ding, etc.

Wrist is 7.25 which means i can usually pull off larger, but whenever I put something on that is on the smaller/thinner side, I remember how much more I like that.

Then, the other part of it for me is at that price point, there are other watches I'd rather have. The Greubel Forsey Balancier is around 100k - $120k used, Voutilainen Inverse is a smidge more, Romain Gauthier has the Logical one that goes for ~$120k - $130k used, etc. To me, those are all much, much more interesting.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 11:19 AM   #54
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Personally, I really like smaller watches as I find them more confortable, harder to ding, etc.

Wrist is 7.25 which means i can usually pull off larger, but whenever I put something on that is on the smaller/thinner side, I remember how much more I like that.

Then, the other part of it for me is at that price point, there are other watches I'd rather have. The Greubel Forsey Balancier is around 100k - $120k used, Voutilainen Inverse is a smidge more, Romain Gauthier has the Logical one that goes for ~$120k - $130k used, etc. To me, those are all much, much more interesting.
Good feedback. Certainly some great options out there at that price point. I am a huge fan of GF, less so the others.
Old 14 June 2024, 02:49 AM   #55
vliberman
"TRF" Member

I believe that cross pollination of models leads to this phenomenon particularly as it relates to ROO. It was always supposed to be modern chronograph version of RO. Once ROC was introduced, depending on trends, one or the other version tends to be out of favor. ROC circa 2000s all the way up to 2015, ROO these days. Further, introduction of tourbillon into ROO makes little sense homologically. It absolutely adds nothing to what the watch represents and is sold at stratospheric levels as compared to competition. Therefore, secondary would not hold.
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 10:36 AM   #56
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberman View Post
I believe that cross pollination of models leads to this phenomenon particularly as it relates to ROO. It was always supposed to be modern chronograph version of RO. Once ROC was introduced, depending on trends, one or the other version tends to be out of favor. ROC circa 2000s all the way up to 2015, ROO these days. Further, introduction of tourbillon into ROO makes little sense homologically. It absolutely adds nothing to what the watch represents and is sold at stratospheric levels as compared to competition. Therefore, secondary would not hold.
Indeed! Entry price critical.