The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 June 2024, 11:54 PM   #31
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
[QUOTE=KatGirl;13293662]We should do a pole.

Kat

Kat, are you a pole dancer?
(Know I shouldn’t have said that)
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2024, 12:12 AM   #32
Actor07
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 126519
Poll posted on the Celebration Dial
Actor07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2024, 03:31 AM   #33
mrlube1151001
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41 TT sub
I put my name on the waiting list soon after watches and wonders for 41mm.Pucked it from A.D two days back. It is a mesmerizing dial no doubt.
mrlube1151001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2024, 05:29 AM   #34
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

i feel it is the best value as it makes my amazingly incredible wife smile often. She loves it and wears her 36mm Celebration daily at work and during F45 workouts. Very stylish with an abundance of outfits and occasions from the beach swim to a luxurious sunset dinner and night out romancing..... So yes, an excellent 'investment' that brings many smiles and wonderful memories as you travel through time.

Celebration_Wrist_Dark.jpg

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2024, 07:34 AM   #35
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
[QUOTE=fsprow;13294016]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
We should do a pole.

Kat

Kat, are you a pole dancer?
(Know I shouldn’t have said that)

I didn’t notice until today that I misspelled that. Funny, because I’m usually an excellent speller. I can’t even blame autocorrect. Oh, and Yes , I was a pole dancer, in my youth.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2024, 05:21 PM   #36
Newbie2277
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexnabzy View Post
My journey started with wanting both the green and celebration OP dials....was lucky enough to obtain the green 41mm from my AD but he was adamant that the Celebration would be very much tougher....

As many have stated the dial is polarizing due to the fact of its very unique style, one which I very much like, plus if I'm being honest enjoy the rarity factor as well...

Waited for W&W 2024 hoping it would not get discontinued as my theory was that hard to obtain models such as the Celebration, Pepsi, titanium yachtmasters etc. would reduce in price on the gray market immediately afterwards and be slightly easier to obtain as folks who bought them to sell hoping they would be discontinued would try to recoup as much money as they could once it was established that these models would not be discontinued....

So after W&W 2024, hit my trusted grey market dealer buddies and managed to work out a great deal (for a grey market purchase given previous prices before W&W 2024) on both a 41mm for me and ended up picking a 31mm for my daughters gradution gift...

When I picked them up the watches last week, dealer had readily available a 36mm Celebration which I also picked up for the wife....all 3 watches dated March/April and as I expected dealer had seen quite a few more in April and May than usual.....

In terms of value, as others have noted I bought these as a watch enthusiast, however I did take the time to 'strategize' purchasing them as noted above to get the best possible price given the circumstances...and while future value fluctuations don't really bother me at this point as I won't be selling these watches, the only thing that would give me concern is if there was a complete watch market crash...
Very nice, congrats on the acquisitions! I’ve been looking around and found a 11/2023 36mm from a super reputable grey market dealer for just shy of 15k. Thinking of pulling the trigger. Thinking they may go down if I wait a bit longer, or if discontinued anytime soon it’ll be more than I’m willing to pay.
Newbie2277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2024, 05:31 PM   #37
kkqd1337
"TRF" Member

I think this is a fair question

As others have said I think currently you would still be paying ‘hype’ prices for this watch on the secondary market

While no one can know the future value of the watch. One this that is certain is that the hype will only ever happen once.
kkqd1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2024, 06:16 PM   #38
Rolexnabzy
"TRF" Member

36mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2277 View Post
Very nice, congrats on the acquisitions! I’ve been looking around and found a 11/2023 36mm from a super reputable grey market dealer for just shy of 15k. Thinking of pulling the trigger. Thinking they may go down if I wait a bit longer, or if discontinued anytime soon it’ll be more than I’m willing to pay.
Thanks, all 3 of us are enjoying the watches, even my daughter likes wearing hers and she has never been much of a watch fan....belongs more to the iphone/apple watch generation for time....

To give you context, I paid about 13,700$ for a march 2024 for the 36mm, however I ended up purchasing 3 from the dealer so he sold all 3 for a few hundred pounds over his cost and I had previous purchase history from him so he has become a friend and personally delivers the watches to my place when I'm in the UK....he would usually sell for 8 to 10% over his price so 15k US sounds about right...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20240608-WA0022(1).jpg (262.5 KB, 273 views)
Rolexnabzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2024, 08:13 PM   #39
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2277 View Post
What are your thoughts on the celebration dial as far as gaining value

Go find another forum.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2024, 08:23 PM   #40
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

I prefer this, it will go with anything and not attract attention. Yes, I am deeply boring.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2024, 11:14 PM   #41
Scottyboy
Banned

Watch: GP Laureato
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
We don’t really talk about values. We are enthusiasts. The vast majority of us buy watches to wear them, and aren’t concerned if they gain or lose value. We do get bored of some, and so sell them, usually at a loss, then put the money toward another watch we like better, at that moment. If you want to talk Rolexes, that’s fine. If you want to speculate about monetary gain or loss, you’ve come to the wrong place. I like the Celebration dial. It’s fun. If I can get one from my AD, I will. I don’t deal in the grey market, lately.

Kat

Completely agree. Enthusiasts don't care about value retention or future values. It's a bonus if we decide to sell a watch and turn a profit, but it would never influence a purchase decision of mine, if I like the watch, I like the watch and that's it.
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2024, 11:31 PM   #42
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
Completely agree. Enthusiasts don't care about value retention or future values. It's a bonus if we decide to sell a watch and turn a profit, but it would never influence a purchase decision of mine, if I like the watch, I like the watch and that's it.
I disagree there, personally. A lot of enthusiasts still care about the value retention and future potential value/collectibility of pieces. It's just that value is a taboo topic in these parts. Everyone likes to pretend it doesn't matter, but realistically, there's probably only a very small percentage of high-net-worth individuals with us here who truly don't care at all.

I love my watches, all of them, for all their nuances, details, everything they represent to me, and how they make me feel; however, if their value collapsed tomorrow and they were suddenly worthless, I, for one, would be a bit disappointed, to say the least. I'm fairly sure I'm not alone there.

It's the risk we take, I guess, and it's why I prefer only to pay retail and refuse to go down the grey market route. I should add - I've only ever sold 2 Rolex's to help fund me starting my business. I bought them back after a few years (at retail... again lol)
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 12:49 AM   #43
Scottyboy
Banned

Watch: GP Laureato
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
I disagree there, personally. A lot of enthusiasts still care about the value retention and future potential value/collectibility of pieces. It's just that value is a taboo topic in these parts. Everyone likes to pretend it doesn't matter, but realistically, there's probably only a very small percentage of high-net-worth individuals with us here who truly don't care at all.

I love my watches, all of them, for all their nuances, details, everything they represent to me, and how they make me feel; however, if their value collapsed tomorrow and they were suddenly worthless, I, for one, would be a bit disappointed, to say the least. I'm fairly sure I'm not alone there.

It's the risk we take, I guess, and it's why I prefer only to pay retail and refuse to go down the grey market route. I should add - I've only ever sold 2 Rolex's to help fund me starting my business. I bought them back after a few years (at retail... again lol)
Well that's where you and I differ then. I don't connect the monetary value to the enjoyment of my watches at all. If I woke up tomorrow and all mechanical watches were suddenly worthless, then all that presents to me is an opportunity to obtain more at a reduced cost.

The money I’ve spent on my watches in my eye is spent, gone. If I need to sell in the future, then it’s a bonus I’ll get something for them.

FWIW, I enjoy some cheap Seikos as much as I do my Rolex.
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 12:55 AM   #44
Mike G
"TRF" Member

I just got one for my wife for our 35th wedding anniversary. She loves it and I have to add she is not a watch person, and this is her only Rolex but she loves it and wears it on all special occasions this past month, which makes me super happy. I dont buy watches based on future value but to wear and enjoy. I actually engrave the back of my watches "not for sale" so my nephews can not sell them after we are gone (We have no kids and all will go to them).
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 12:56 AM   #45
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:

You may not be alone, but I certainly wouldn't share that same sentiment.

I have a laundry list of 4 and 5-digit Rolex that I'd love to buy. If 'values' collapsed overnight I'd be as happy as a clam. First purchase would be a 16610LV, followed moments later by a 16710. While at it, I'd scoop up a 1016. Wouldn't that be great?
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 01:36 AM   #46
Newbie2277
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
Go find another forum.
Simmer down guy lol
Old 11 June 2024, 03:27 AM   #47
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
funny dial, not for everyone
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 07:45 PM   #48
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: one I'm wearing
I'm wearing a 21 year old lv 2003 Y 5k new 25k now and I wear it all the time.......nothing wrong with that........wearing an investment is not wrong or buying for one for that reason
geoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 11:57 PM   #49
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

Picked up one from my AD last November for my wifes birthday. She prefers the 41mm size, OP's wear quite small and she likes it so much she hasn't taken it off yet.

Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 12:33 AM   #50
TikTok
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
[QUOTE=KatGirl;13294526]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post

I didn’t notice until today that I misspelled that. Funny, because I’m usually an excellent speller. I can’t even blame autocorrect. Oh, and Yes , I was a pole dancer, in my youth.

Kat

This post is worthless without pics.
Old 12 June 2024, 01:00 AM   #51
BIGMAC142
"TRF" Member

Looks amazing on her!
BIGMAC142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 05:28 AM   #52
bibbi
"TRF" Member

It’s a positive watch. Always puts on a smile on my face. Long-, mid- or short-term value doesn’t matter.

bibbi
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 05:53 AM   #53
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-London View Post
Picked up one from my AD last November for my wifes birthday. She prefers the 41mm size, OP's wear quite small and she likes it so much she hasn't taken it off yet.
Major congrats to you both

Happy wife, happy life

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 06:10 AM   #54
TEPSD4K
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dwellers
I would get it for my daughter before I would get it for myself, but that is the thing about collecting, it shouldn’t appeal to everyone but should attract a certain audience. Anyone who disassociates value from collecting is not really a collector IMHO.
Old 12 June 2024, 06:24 AM   #55
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
Well that's where you and I differ then. I don't connect the monetary value to the enjoyment of my watches at all. If I woke up tomorrow and all mechanical watches were suddenly worthless, then all that presents to me is an opportunity to obtain more at a reduced cost.

The money I’ve spent on my watches in my eye is spent, gone. If I need to sell in the future, then it’s a bonus I’ll get something for them.

FWIW, I enjoy some cheap Seikos as much as I do my Rolex.
100% with you on that one.

To me, buying a watch is like buying a holiday, or buying an expensive meal - i.e. it's a sunk cost, paying for something I enjoy. You never get any "resale value" from a nice meal or a holiday, and that's exactly the same as my feelings when it comes to watches. I buy what I can afford, and I GENUINELY couldn't care less about resale values.

I think these kind of discussions really highlight those who came to watches via Rolex and have remained with Rolex, and those of us who have come to watches via many different brands. Those of us who started out buying different brands quickly realised that as soon as the till receipt is rung up you've lost money: "resale value" just isn't a consideration/concern.

But obviously I appreciate that everyone is different with their own motivations.

Oh and to the OP's original question/post, I personally think the Celebration dial is hideous and not something I'd wear even if I was gifted one. But again, each to their own.
Old 12 June 2024, 07:50 AM   #56
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Quote:

Old 12 June 2024, 08:20 AM   #57
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-London View Post

Wow, I knew it would be amazing with the turquoise Alhambra. I need to text my VCA guy.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 08:33 AM   #58
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexnabzy View Post
Thanks, all 3 of us are enjoying the watches, even my daughter likes wearing hers and she has never been much of a watch fan....belongs more to the iphone/apple watch generation for time....

To give you context, I paid about 13,700$ for a march 2024 for the I ended up purchasing 3 from the dealer so he sold all 3 for a few hundred pounds over his cost and I had previous purchase history from him so he has become a friend and personally delivers the watches to my place when I'm in the UK....he would usually sell for 8 to 10% over his price so 15k US sounds about right...
I’ll be honest….there is no way this dial is for me but it really seems to resonate with some and, quite frankly, the world does seem to be in need a a whimsical influence, and kudos to Rolex to do what they can. I would love to see this on someone’s wrist.
Old 12 June 2024, 01:24 PM   #59
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by katgirl View Post
we don’t really talk about values. We are enthusiasts. The vast majority of us buy watches to wear them, and aren’t concerned if they gain or lose value. We do get bored of some, and so sell them, usually at a loss, then put the money toward another watch we like better, at that moment. If you want to talk rolexes, that’s fine. If you want to speculate about monetary gain or loss, you’ve come to the wrong place. I like the celebration dial. It’s fun. If i can get one from my ad, i will. I don’t deal in the grey market, lately.

Kat

sent from my ipad using tapatalk
x2
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 02:22 PM   #60
Newbie2277
"TRF" Member

Update: Ordered it and it’ll be delivered tomorrow. I’m so freaking excited!