The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 June 2024, 11:03 AM   #31
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Cannot see any point as doubt if anyone would be in or near to anything that puts out that magnetic field.It's the same with the rating on some of the dive watches, max depth rating will never be used by man or superman in water they make them because they can.So more of a brag factor mine is bigger than yours and many buy that factor today.
Who dives to the bottom of the Mariana Trench? 3T magnet in MRI is not uncommon. We will see, but I would like one with some funky color and a thinner case.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 12:54 PM   #32
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

My biggest regret in watch collecting was selling my Milgauss. It was an impulse move when I was building my collection instead of hanging onto it longer. Anyone who has done this for awhile knows that you can fall in and out of love with pieces and come back to them. I think about selling for 6-12 months before I even make a move these days.

I love the Milgauss. I think it has lost some of its niche in the Rolex catalogue as the brand has released more quirky dials and configurations over the past few years. For a while, the Milgauss was the only “unusual” piece in the lineup. I do think it will make a return. I think its DNA is tied up in that lightening bolt hand and now the GV glass. I don’t think either of those design features will disappear.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 03:05 PM   #33
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

I remember when the last version of Milgauss came out it was hot for a bit and then was not. I did not think it was a bad looking watch, not my cup of tea. I did like that green glass and orange markers and lightning hand.

Last year we all saw the patent for the coke bezel design or so we thought, it did not happen. So this may also be something Rolex is considering but has not decided yet.
Who knows? They always surprise us. At least you chatted up the SA and maybe made a good impression.

Cheers,
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 03:22 PM   #34
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Milguass coming back ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveBold View Post
I need to be cautious with automatic watches around my speakers (hifi speakers), guitar amps and some other powerful household magnets.
Correct. The magnet field, close to the surface of some common household devices, is very high and can magnetize watch movements.
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 06:53 PM   #35
msum
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post
Who dives to the bottom of the Mariana Trench? 3T magnet in MRI is not uncommon. We will see, but I would like one with some funky color and a thinner case.
Yeah, I suppose it might be useful to have a Rolex with their patented new 4T resistant hairspring and escapement setup… Provided it has a Ti or ceramic or precious metal case and bracelet. Then it should be safe to wear in an MRI (most used for diagnostic purposes aren’t > 3T, at least not in my country).
msum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 07:04 PM   #36
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Maybe Rolex were trying to sell him a CPO?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 07:36 PM   #37
Nyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by art1810 View Post
That article is quite the find.

According to the article, which is citing a Rolex patent, 'current Rolex watches' that have a Parachrom (CuBe) hairspring, can resist between 22,000 and 25,000 Gauss (2.2T to 2.5T). That is at least 22 times the resistance suggested by the name, Milgauss.

That's any Parachrom Rolex....not just the ref. 116400 Milgauss.

As for the Parachrom Milgauss (ref. 116400), there are technical reason to suspect that it's limits might be even higher when it comes to magnetic resistance. The hypothesis is that the shielding technology, and escapement alloys, used on the ref. 116400 Milgauss, might multiply the already extraordinary effectiveness of the Parachrom hairspring. But hey, unless you can safely access up to 10T fields or more, who knows?
Parachrom is not a CuBe alloy; parachrom is an alloy of Niobium and Zirconium and it is used for their hairspring.

CuBe is used for the balance wheel. And in the patent, they replace it with an alloy with higher electrical resistivity. In the article, they also say that Rolex is "surprised" by the results. I'd doubt that as these results are purely logical: higher electrical resistivity means lower Eddy currents in a magnetic field = easier to move for the material in a magnetic field.

In the Milgauss, it was a soft iron magnetic shield that protected the movement. However, at very high magnetic fields (2.5T and more), the soft iron is not useful anymore. And in any case, it's better to make the whole movement "magnetic resistant" than using magnetic shields. That's also why I think the Milgauss will unfortunately not come back. This patent will certainly be used for all new movements.
Nyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 07:40 PM   #38
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post
And know one would be allowed to wear any metal object anywhere near a MRI scanner, unless they were completely drain dead, or had no common sense which is sadly lacking today.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 09:15 PM   #39
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
Correct. The magnet field, close to the surface of some common household devices, is very high and can magnetize watch movements.
And some are completely natural to come into close proximity with. Some here may be surprised by the field strength put out by some laptops (eg a macbook pro 16… relatively serious speakers, seriously near your wrists)…
BraveBold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 10:15 PM   #40
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Milguass coming back ??

Quote:
And some are completely natural to come into close proximity with. Some here may be surprised by the field strength put out by some laptops (eg a macbook pro 16… relatively serious speakers, seriously near your wrists)…
I know.
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 10:25 PM   #41
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Even your own body produces a magnet field, myself used to work around powerful magnets the were capable of lifting 20 tons.And as a hobby used to repair transceivers and radio amplifier's that put out a strong magnetic field but never had a problem in getting any of my watches magnetised.But anyone with common sense should know never put a mechanical watch directly on a powerful magnet.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 10:46 PM   #42
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Even your own body produces a magnet field, myself used to work around powerful magnets the were capable of lifting 20 tons.And as a hobby used to repair transceivers and radio amplifier's that put out a strong magnetic field but never had a problem in getting any of my watches magnetised.But anyone with common sense should know never put a mechanical watch directly on a powerful magnet.
Agree and aware of this. But how many people are aware that their laptop computer emits a powerful magnetic field (many multiples of what you’d generally experience naturally)? Or that adjusting their speaker grill may cause their nice shiny automatic watch to start running wildly fast?

I see the development as a positive to the extent I need not think about speakers or watch placement…

Two real-world examples for me:
1) where I place my watch box… I make sure to keep it an adequate distance from my full size speakers (admittedly large speakers).

2) as a musician, I usually take off automatic watches before drumming. Flat surfaces near my kit include massive PA speakers / monitors and guitar amplifiers. I need to consciously remember to not place my watch there (even though convenient).

For my laptop, honestly… something unavoidable. My watches aren’t magnetized but one laptop has far stronger magnets than the others…

The development is a positive because once you get past 1-2T the risk drops significantly. Btw, an MRI machine emits an average field of around 1-2T but peak strength is far greater. The orientation of proximity of the magnetics create the specific hazards as well…
BraveBold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 11:02 PM   #43
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
Doesn’t matter if there is a reissue or not.
I’ve had this baby for 15 years. Not going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow, that is lovely, always liked the Milguass in its various guises.

Nice watch enjoy it for many many years to come.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 11:04 PM   #44
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
just dont see the need of it
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 11:04 PM   #45
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
My Milgauss GV is different from my other Rolex watches.

Looks just as good today.
Beautiful, so different from other Rolex watches.

Congratulations.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 11:36 PM   #46
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHulk View Post
Yeah its soounds like its coming back especially if a SA said so….. THEy KNOW NOTHING
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 11:47 PM   #47
Piker
"TRF" Member

The Milgauss has always been one of my favorite Rolex. Would be great if it comes back.
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2024, 05:33 PM   #48
art1810
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyl View Post
Parachrom is not a CuBe alloy; parachrom is an alloy of Niobium and Zirconium and it is used for their hairspring.

CuBe is used for the balance wheel. And in the patent, they replace it with an alloy with higher electrical resistivity. In the article, they also say that Rolex is "surprised" by the results. I'd doubt that as these results are purely logical: higher electrical resistivity means lower Eddy currents in a magnetic field = easier to move for the material in a magnetic field.

In the Milgauss, it was a soft iron magnetic shield that protected the movement. However, at very high magnetic fields (2.5T and more), the soft iron is not useful anymore. And in any case, it's better to make the whole movement "magnetic resistant" than using magnetic shields. That's also why I think the Milgauss will unfortunately not come back. This patent will certainly be used for all new movements.
Thank you for the correction.

As per your comment it should have been pretty evident that dragging a conductor balance wheel through a strong field would generate eddy currents and magnetic interaction.

A question that I have is whether a magnetic shield would multiply the effect of other anti magnetic technology incorporated into the watch. That is whether a high resistivity balance wheel say, or a Parachrom hairspring, would provide even greater performance if encapsulated within a magnetic shield. Intuitively this would seem to be the case, but in extreme environments such as multi T fields, who knows whether such simple modelling would gave any real world relevance.
art1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2024, 07:16 PM   #49
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldofoyster View Post
just dont see the need of it
There is no need for any mechanical watch, but that's not the point.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 10:50 AM   #50
trout_thumper21
"TRF" Member

Yes, confirmed from the source. My Grandma is one of the two people at Rolex that can make the Pepsi bezel. They just had her train an apprentice, because they are moving her to the green sapphire Milgauss assembly line.
trout_thumper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 10:55 AM   #51
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
At last, some confirmation.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote