The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 June 2024, 11:43 PM   #31
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
seiko makes nice yet affordable watches
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 12:03 AM   #32
AlanH
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I've just bought a Seiko 5 Sports Field ‘Deception’ GMT and aside from great timekeeping, it's a damn fine looking watch and great value for money.
AlanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 12:10 AM   #33
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexRog View Post
What is the difference in quality between a Rolex automatic, like an Air King and a Seiko Sportsmatic?

Thank you for your kind consideration.
I’m curious if you asked this over on the Seiko forum and if not, why?

I’m down to one Seiko, an SLA021, from half a dozen. It’s a a lovely watch that I never wear but I’m not ready to let go. My understanding is that it has a GS movement that isn’t polished or regulated like a GS; it’s not a notable timekeeper. The bracelet was miserable from day one, a disappointment on a $3400 watch. I now have it on a Strapcode which is a great improvement and that tells you something. Amazing to look at it’s a really nice Seiko but it ain’t no Rolex.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 12:12 AM   #34
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
…nobody knows for sure…
Ahhhhhh…
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 12:25 AM   #35
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
I don’t appreciate fine wine. I think you need to spend the time to really learn the differences.

The same goes for watches. It’s very nuanced, and little things make a big difference. If you don’t see these things, then just buy Seiko.
Agree it’s like comparing ford to a Porsche both get you from A to B.

Had to chuckle at the wine reference- we went to a very expensive restaurant where “food is not just food it is art” and made bacon sandwiches when we got home !
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 05:20 AM   #36
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
If a Richard Mille is $2million, and a Rolex is $20,000, and my 30year old Tag Heuer, cost me about $100, and they all keep the same time. I doubt it's the accuracy or reliability that that motivates buyers.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 05:23 AM   #37
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
If a Richard Mille is $2million, and a Rolex is $20,000, and my 30year old Tag Heuer, cost me about $100, and they all keep the same time. I doubt it's the accuracy or reliability that that motivates buyers.
Most assuredly it is not.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 05:44 AM   #38
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree and in many ways the Seiko Grand range was superior to any of the Rolex range.Thats why todays Swiss COSC was founded because the Grand Seiko watches were winning all the competitions. But it's almost impossible to find any detail about the last few years of the Observatory Chronometer competition held in Neuchatel from 1967 on, probably because Seiko destroyed the Swiss, and the competition was never held again. Girard-Perregaux won the competition with a specially constructed one off movement, and Seiko came second with a standard straight of production Grand Seiko and following years came first.

In 1971 observatory competitions in Neuchâtel were suspended indefinitely after a petition and then the threat of boycott by several prestigious Swiss wristwatch manufacturers, because Seiko had begun to dominate the results, winning two years in succession. It wasn't the arrival of quartz which brought mechanical accuracy competitions in Switzerland to an end, but IMHO losing a fair fight to Japan Seiko in 1972 the Swiss COSC was founded for testing Swiss made watches only.
Good info. Thanks.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 05:47 AM   #39
MitchSF
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona, Sub, etc.
I just got the new SPB455 1965 Heritage Diver. For $1400, I really can't complain. Then again, I can. I like the watch, but not the bracelet. At this price point (for Seiko, that is), it should have micro adjustments, and it certainly should use screw pins, not push pins.
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 05:54 AM   #40
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Before the GS fanboys diss the 32xx, they should keep in mind that there are reported issues with GS's new dual impulse escapement movements. And unlike Rolex where most of the problems occur after a while if ever, some owners of the GSs are reporting wildly inaccurate movements (double digit second deviations per day) right out of the box.

Now you can say GS's other mechanicals, including HB, are reliable and accurate. But so was the Rolex 31xx, and the latter ones are guaranteed +-2s/day, something GS never can match with their mechanicals on an industrial level.
the dark knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 06:24 AM   #41
Bozzie1982
"TRF" Member

I've a number of seikos, love the marine master line. Not the same quality as rolex but well worth what they ask.
Bozzie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 09:58 AM   #42
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchSF View Post
I just got the new SPB455 1965 Heritage Diver. For $1400, I really can't complain. Then again, I can. I like the watch, but not the bracelet. At this price point (for Seiko, that is), it should have micro adjustments, and it certainly should use screw pins, not push pins.
They are coming, according to Seiko’s chairman. My 14060 Sub doesn’t have an easily adjustable bracelet but it doesn’t stop me from wearing it
Old 27 June 2024, 09:59 AM   #43
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I have a box full of Seikos, been a fan since the early 90’s. They are one of the few fully integrated watch manufacturers who make everything in house. Have never owned any of the more expensive versions but the Monsters, Turtles, and Seiko5’s of the last 25 years are super fun and lots of choices.
I got heavily involved in the cycling scene in the mid 90’s as an enthusiast, racer, promoter, and coach. I have taken to gifting Seikos to over a dozen young men and women I have met through my hobby/passion and have created more than a few “watch guys and gals” since. Anyone dissing them is missing out.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 10:10 AM   #44
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Two very different brands.

I think the GS line is on par with Rolex in many ways, but they’re a little too delicate for me. Rolex feels more robust, but I don’t know if this translates to better quality overall.

I love the mid-range Seiko divers, including the SLA033, which I own. The quality is good but not quite Rolex, and that’s fine, because they’re a fraction of the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 10:15 AM   #45
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Overall quality of Rolex is superior to GS. Exception is dial finish - outstanding on the GS.

The comparison to Seiko… well, no real comparison. Leagues apart, as expected.
BraveBold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 10:21 AM   #46
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
Before the GS fanboys diss the 32xx, they should keep in mind that there are reported issues with GS's new dual impulse escapement movements. And unlike Rolex where most of the problems occur after a while if ever, some owners of the GSs are reporting wildly inaccurate movements (double digit second deviations per day) right out of the box.

Now you can say GS's other mechanicals, including HB, are reliable and accurate. But so was the Rolex 31xx, and the latter ones are guaranteed +-2s/day, something GS never can match with their mechanicals on an industrial level.
The Seiko HB isn’t as accurate as Swiss mechanicals, but the Spring Drive beats them all. You can argue it really isn’t a mechanical, others disagree. 32xx models aside, I’m a bit skeptical about that Rolex guarantee. My most recent new Rolex purchase was a DJ31 for my wife, the power reserve wasn’t even 12 hours, when I got it back from warranty work that was fixed but it ran about +10 spd, haven’t gotten around to sending it in again
Old 27 June 2024, 10:25 AM   #47
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveBold View Post
Overall quality of Rolex is superior to GS. Exception is dial finish - outstanding on the GS.

The comparison to Seiko… well, no real comparison. Leagues apart, as expected.
do you own any GS? polishing and finishing on GS case and movements are superior to Rolex.

only real tangible way rolex is superior to GS is the bracelet. GS bracelets are total trash for even the high end models (tentagraph, white birch, and snowflake).

rolex, of course, surpasses GS in overall prestige.
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 10:50 AM   #48
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

I still think the OP may be referencing a Seiko watch from the 1960s and wondering about the comparative quality of an Air King from the same era.

All these takes above about modern Seiko vs modern Rolex make little sense in this context, whereas the comparison about the 60s watches is a deeper topic altogether.
Old 27 June 2024, 11:11 AM   #49
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The Seiko HB isn’t as accurate as Swiss mechanicals, but the Spring Drive beats them all. You can argue it really isn’t a mechanical, others disagree. 32xx models aside, I’m a bit skeptical about that Rolex guarantee. My most recent new Rolex purchase was a DJ31 for my wife, the power reserve wasn’t even 12 hours, when I got it back from warranty work that was fixed but it ran about +10 spd, haven’t gotten around to sending it in again
That watch obviously has an issue, which can happen.

All I can say is all my post 2015 (or whenever the superlative guarantee came in) Rolexes have run +-2s/day.
the dark knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 11:50 AM   #50
RolexRog
"TRF" Member

Thank you to everyone who has replied. To answer some questions, and clarify some things, the reason that I posted this was I was looking at some VINTAGE Seiko Sportsmatics from the late 60's, early 70's and I noticed they were - to my eyes - similar aesthetically to the Air King/Oyster perpetuals of the same era (although the Seiko is over 2 MM larger in case than the Air King/Osyter perpetual.) And this is why I asked this question.

I have enough watches where I don't want to "thin out" the wrist time with a new watch, but if I told you I wasn't intrigued by the Seiko, I'd be lying.
RolexRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 11:53 AM   #51
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Good analogy

I’m a Camry guy, and sometimes I prefer a good ole hotdog to a prime rib
I’m a Porsche guy but love a good ole hotdog most anytime!!
Old 27 June 2024, 12:03 PM   #52
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexRog View Post
Thank you to everyone who has replied. To answer some questions, and clarify some things, the reason that I posted this was I was looking at some VINTAGE Seiko Sportsmatics from the late 60's, early 70's and I noticed they were - to my eyes - similar aesthetically to the Air King/Oyster perpetuals of the same era (although the Seiko is over 2 MM larger in case than the Air King/Osyter perpetual.) And this is why I asked this question.

I have enough watches where I don't want to "thin out" the wrist time with a new watch, but if I told you I wasn't intrigued by the Seiko, I'd be lying.
I have a 1964 Air-King, a 1966 Datejust and have owned quite a number of 1960s Sportsmatics and similar Seikos of that period. Only the Seikos had quickset dates and hacking movements, and several have been excellent timekeepers.

Here's an old thread showing a few, including a Sportsmatic, on the timegrapher https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=694443
Old 27 June 2024, 12:20 PM   #53
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I have a 1964 Air-King, a 1966 Datejust and have owned quite a number of 1960s Sportsmatics and similar Seikos of that period. Only the Seikos had quickset dates and hacking movements, and several have been excellent timekeepers.

Here's an old thread showing a few, including a Sportsmatic, on the timegrapher https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=694443
Wow, no wonder the Swiss were panicking.
Old 27 June 2024, 12:25 PM   #54
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Wow, no wonder the Swiss were panicking.
According to renowned Rolex expert and author James Dowling, it was the worldwide introduction of the very affordable Seiko 5 series (water resistant, day/date/automatic, etc) in the 1960s that first heralded the demise of many Swiss brands, not the so-called quartz revolution of the 1970s.
Old 27 June 2024, 12:35 PM   #55
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
do you own any GS? polishing and finishing on GS case and movements are superior to Rolex.

only real tangible way rolex is superior to GS is the bracelet. GS bracelets are total trash for even the high end models (tentagraph, white birch, and snowflake).

rolex, of course, surpasses GS in overall prestige.
Yes, I own GS. Multiple.

I stand by what I said. The quality (build (fit/tolerances), mechanicals (durability/accuracy/longevity) are superior in Rolex. The case polishing approach is different between the two brands. The dial finishing on GS is crisper / superior. The crown’s action alone conveys much of the above characteristics to me. Service interval is longer for Rolex, despite higher movement accuracy. Rolex bracelets are superior in all ways. Rolex bracelet fitment to the case is also superior.

I love Grand Seiko and the dials are stunning. To me the value for money is solid but I think exaggerated. Different design objectives, sure, but “quality” - to me Rolex wins handily.
BraveBold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 12:52 PM   #56
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveBold View Post
Yes, I own GS. Multiple.

I stand by what I said. The quality (build (fit/tolerances), mechanicals (durability/accuracy/longevity) are superior in Rolex.
So you’ve had a GS wear out? A Spring Drive is more accurate than any Rolex.

Quote:
The case polishing approach is different between the two brands. The dial finishing on GS is crisper / superior. The crown’s action alone conveys much of the above characteristics to me. Service interval is longer for Rolex,
You may need an extra service but the watch costs a fraction of Rolex. The head of Seiko USA said he hadn’t serviced his Spring Drive in 10 years.

Quote:
despite higher movement accuracy. Rolex bracelets are superior in all ways. Rolex bracelet fitment to the case is also superior.

I love Grand Seiko and the dials are stunning. To me the value for money is solid but I think exaggerated. Different design objectives, sure, but “quality” - to me Rolex wins handily.
Old 27 June 2024, 02:04 PM   #57
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
What is the difference in quality between a Rolex watch and an 'X' brand watch.

To coin an old phrase.

'Comparisons are odious'.

Why choose Seiko when there are so many others?

I like my Astron.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 11:26 PM   #58
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
One thing I notice as an owner of both and an aspiring horologist (haha), when I place the Rolex on my timegrapher, there is no question that the watch is operating 1-2 +/- spd. Over the last day as I was regulating my Seiko's, the timegrapher is all over the place! It would go from +200 to -180 depending on the position (face up/down etc). There is no question which movement is better made by the consistency. I was able to get one of the Seiko's +/- 10 spd, buy my SKX is all over the place! I settled for +/- 250 spd?
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 11:38 PM   #59
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
it's like comparing Porsche to Toyota. Both get you from point A to point B, but the Porsche is a lot finer in every aspect.
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 11:56 PM   #60
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesnyder View Post
One thing I notice as an owner of both and an aspiring horologist (haha), when I place the Rolex on my timegrapher, there is no question that the watch is operating 1-2 +/- spd. Over the last day as I was regulating my Seiko's, the timegrapher is all over the place! It would go from +200 to -180 depending on the position (face up/down etc). There is no question which movement is better made by the consistency. I was able to get one of the Seiko's +/- 10 spd, buy my SKX is all over the place! I settled for +/- 250 spd?
I think for an apples to apples comparison Rolex should be compared to GS, not the lower models. GS compares very favorably in many respects.