The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 August 2024, 07:21 AM   #31
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Who cares, go for it.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 07:27 AM   #32
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Flipping is smart

“Buy low, sell high” is one of the fundamentals of capitalism
Old 10 August 2024, 07:29 AM   #33
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Do what you want, its your money.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 08:05 AM   #34
aboutime
"TRF" Member

I’ve never been in that situation to categorically say I would or wouldn’t do it. What sort of relationship to do want with that AD in the longer term and what happens if/when you get that call for the watch you actually wanted? Will you flip that for someone else?
aboutime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 08:24 AM   #35
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
It may be smart, but is it the right thing to do, if you are philosophically opposed to flipping? I couldn’t do it.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’m very much with Kat on this. Perhaps the Forum should create a “Flipping” section for those that are into that kind of thing.
Old 10 August 2024, 10:53 AM   #36
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP 39, GRNR, SeaQ
Is it flipping or just smart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasb View Post
If you get offered a GMT and it’s not what you want, is it flipping to buy it and trade it for the one you’re after?

Above = flipping, doing it repetitively = flipper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jerrocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 11:13 AM   #37
rohada
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
The AD just today told me ROLEX likes to record and keep track of every purchase. I'll bet they know when somethings been flipped!! Not sure why that would matter but I think it does??
I can believe they capture that info. Outside of a trip to a RSC, is there another way Rolex would find out that I no longer own the Pepsi I bought from one of their ADs? Some folks with 32XX movements may be sending watches in on a shorter ownership basis, so I guess Rolex could see a several month-old purchase and be concerned enough to contact the AD regarding the original buyer. Not sure what would happen from there. Asking for a friend.

I don't consider the OP a flipper, just a prudent shopper. Doesn't matter to me, either way. I don't have a dog in the fight.
Old 10 August 2024, 11:25 AM   #38
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasb View Post
If you get offered a GMT and it’s not what you want, is it flipping to buy it and trade it for the one you’re after?
Yes, it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
I don’t think so.

Imo, flipping is only when you buy something for the purpose of immediately selling for a profit with no desire to own the watch .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's exactly what the OP intends to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozzie1982 View Post
If you don't do it someone else will unfortunately..... Same with any other in demand product.
Not true. The vast majority of Rolex sales stay with the original buyer. Buying a watch only to flip it means the next person on the wait list loses his/her opportunity to purchase the watch of his/her dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
Why does it matter if it is flipping? Your watch, your money..
I guess it all depends where your morals are at. As with Kat, I simply couldn't do this. For one, SA's go to bat for many of their clients to make sure they get the watch they desire. Turning around and flipping the watch is saying FU to the SA that fought to get you that watch. Two, I realize there can be a hundred people waiting for certain desirable watches. To take a watch that I don't really want means the person behind me in line, that really wants it, won't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopi-c View Post
Then do not buy it, very simple. The GMT could go to somebody else who could wear/enjoy the watch.
Exactly
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 11:31 AM   #39
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Kinda don't understand all the hand-wringing over this. It's watches, not selling kidneys on the black-market.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 11:43 AM   #40
Jasb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
Kinda don't understand all the hand-wringing over this. It's watches, not selling kidneys on the black-market.
Yeah I just asked a question, didn’t do it, but it seems like there are strong feelings on this!!! lol
Jasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 12:11 PM   #41
BETRNSX
"TRF" Member

does your AD know which GMT you want? and they still offered you a different one? I would imagine they know the game..

If you want a Pepsi, you'll probably never get it from an AD, so I'd say go for the flip or trade.
BETRNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 02:11 PM   #42
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

I probably could not give it up once I have it. I would fall in love with it. I get really attached to my things. But do what you feel comfortable with in the end , it just you and once you paid for it , it’s yours to do with as you wish. I wouldn’t but that’s just me.

Just my $.02
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 03:00 PM   #43
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I would pass personally, but mostly because there are things i want from my AD. I am not getting multiple watches a year so i would rather buy what i actually want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 03:12 PM   #44
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Yes. That’s flipping. But that’s how people make gains. I don’t buy from AD with the intent to resell. Sometimes, after a year or 2, I decide I want a different watch, and I may sell/trade. Did that with a DBlue but then I repurchased it again….. Going in, I’m sold on the fact I want the watch when I buy it, or I will just pass. I don’t need any more and I’d like others to be able to enjoy their desired watches. I don’t want to get in the way for a watch I don’t care about.

My AD has specifically asked me not to flip sports models and i honor that. He did say that if I resold the 126610LV he sold me within 2 years, it could cause problems for him with Rolex. He said after a couple years it is not a problem to sell it. That was 3 years ago.

The point is I wanted that 126610LV, I got it and I’m keeping it. I try not to judge others. To each their own.

Just another WIS who loves to trade.
@bladeandwatch1 on IG
Old 10 August 2024, 03:28 PM   #45
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide13 View Post
I would not consider that flipping. The whole Rolex game kinda sucks these days....do what you gotta do to get what you want. Hopefully one of these days things will go back to normal.
I completely agree....several years ago I would have said its flipping, but now with the current market (which is slowly correcting, atleast from what I am seeing where I am), you are merely buying an item and trading up...its like buying a house and using the equity.
jcdevoe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 03:53 PM   #46
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanj View Post
why does it matter if it is flipping? Your watch, your money..
+1
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 04:12 PM   #47
Sglider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeshot View Post
Yes. That’s flipping. But that’s how people make gains. I don’t buy from AD with the intent to resell. Sometimes, after a year or 2, I decide I want a different watch, and I may sell/trade. Did that with a DBlue but then I repurchased it again….. Going in, I’m sold on the fact I want the watch when I buy it, or I will just pass. I don’t need any more and I’d like others to be able to enjoy their desired watches. I don’t want to get in the way for a watch I don’t care about.

My AD has specifically asked me not to flip sports models and i honor that. He did say that if I resold the 126610LV he sold me within 2 years, it could cause problems for him with Rolex. He said after a couple years it is not a problem to sell it. That was 3 years ago.

The point is I wanted that 126610LV, I got it and I’m keeping it. I try not to judge others. To each their own.

@bladeandwatch1 on IG

How does he know you sold a watch?
Sglider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 04:17 PM   #48
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sglider View Post
How does he know you sold a watch?

He would only know if a new buyer took it to Rolex or sent it in for service. They apparently check serial numbers and look for resale of newer watches, at least the high demand stainless sports models. Many conversations on here on that topic.

@bladeandwatch1 on IG
Old 10 August 2024, 04:26 PM   #49
Andad

Watch: A few.
Smart decision.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 10:43 PM   #50
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
The term flipping or flipper is used as an insult or worse here on TRF. I get it and as a flipper myself, I buy/sell/trade as I please, I don't think it really matters to me or the watch dealers/buyers that are out there. If you would use the same eye for the AD's and Manufactures and the business practices that got us here you might have a different viewpoint. Everyday most, if not all, AD's significantly misrepresent inventory, allocations, values and the market. Yet we say that is just doing business and move on. At what point did we tie morals to buying and selling watches that are legally obtained for fair market value, msrp or secondary price, and fraud or misrepresentation is not part of how the watch was obtained? We each have our own personal preference on how we would like to buy/sell/trade watches but that opinion only really matter to us. Judging others for legal behavior, either way, is not what we should be doing. This is a hobby for most and while it sometimes feels like a competition, it is not. We are a community of individuals who like watches and most of the information and facts that surround them. So OP, what does it matter if you buy and then move a watch to get another that you desire? Obviously a lot to some, not so much to others. I say act in your own best interest and get the watch you want. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 11:09 PM   #51
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Yes, it is.

That's exactly what the OP intends to do.

Not true. The vast majority of Rolex sales stay with the original buyer. Buying a watch only to flip it means the next person on the wait list loses his/her opportunity to purchase the watch of his/her dreams.

I guess it all depends where your morals are at. As with Kat, I simply couldn't do this. For one, SA's go to bat for many of their clients to make sure they get the watch they desire. Turning around and flipping the watch is saying FU to the SA that fought to get you that watch. Two, I realize there can be a hundred people waiting for certain desirable watches. To take a watch that I don't really want means the person behind me in line, that really wants it, won't get it.

Exactly
lol

ADs have one rule. Money talks and BS walks.

You can leap frog all the poor souls patiently waiting on the list by simply doing a bundle deal

ADs are in the business of selling. Find it hilarious when people think they are allowed to sell using whatever means necessary but god forbid someone flip their luxury watch that no one needs.
Old 10 August 2024, 11:59 PM   #52
Law52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hmmmm
No, for it could be the only process you could use to get a hard to obtain piece.
Many AD’s are still playing stupid games, so don’t give a cr-p what they think.
Law52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 12:10 AM   #53
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
Is it safe to flip ?
Paul Newman

Being Serious = Onto the list you go
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 12:30 AM   #54
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Buying and selling watches does not represent any sort of moral dilemma. It’s a luxury item. I mean, some people on here need to get a life, it’s just a watch.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 01:03 AM   #55
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Leave for someone that really want it.
Old 11 August 2024, 01:17 AM   #56
metallic
"TRF" Member

Acquiring Rolex watches these days is just a big game. The problem is nobody has established the rules to the game.

So just make your own rules to this stupid game.
metallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 02:26 AM   #57
Hkspwrsche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETRNSX View Post
does your AD know which GMT you want? and they still offered you a different one? I would imagine they know the game..

If you want a Pepsi, you'll probably never get it from an AD, so I'd say go for the flip or trade.
I came here to say this. If you are offered a 126710BLNR but wanted a BLRO (Pepsi) you’ll probably never get the Pepsi. Those are reserved/held for big spenders. They probably can’t even justify selling it to you depending on how the AD is being run. If you’re being offered a root beer don’t even bother if it’s not on your list.
Old 11 August 2024, 04:20 AM   #58
Jason Bourne
"TRF" Member

It’s not flipping. I’ve been waiting quite a while for Batman and finally purchased grey. Visited my AD to show it and withdraw from the list. He said he will not cancel my order for Batman and when I get a call for it I can just sell it and buy some other watch I’m interested in. So flipping is kinda encouraged by ADs:)
Jason Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 05:54 AM   #59
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopi-c View Post
Then do not buy it, very simple. The GMT could go to somebody else who could wear/enjoy the watch.
This.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 08:09 AM   #60
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
lol

ADs have one rule. Money talks and BS walks.

You can leap frog all the poor souls patiently waiting on the list by simply doing a bundle deal

ADs are in the business of selling. Find it hilarious when people think they are allowed to sell using whatever means necessary but god forbid someone flip their luxury watch that no one needs.
You must have a pretty shady AD. Mine is great. Mine does not pressure to sell jewelry. There is a no bundle purchasing. They detest flippers. And when you do buy a Rolex, it'll be about 8 months to a year before you will be able to get another one as they can't just sell me all of their desirable watches. They have to spread it around. This is why they have told me to make sure I get the one I really want, to prioritize my list and not just purchase one because it's a Rolex.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote