The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 June 2024, 09:50 AM   #61
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Congrats!
Big jump from a Daytona.
As a data point, we received all except the price tag on a recent purchase.
Cheers,
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 10:45 AM   #62
RTG
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robison347 View Post
I have gotten to know the AD in my small city, where they exist in the shadow of much bigger dealers in big cities. Many Rolex dealers are in that position . . . They sell 400 watches a year in less populous areas where the big city stores sell 4,000. If Rolex decides to trim stores, who do you think is at risk?

So the smaller stores have to be very careful to stay in the good graces of the Rolex rep and the company overall. One thing that means is keeping their watches off the secondary market. Rolex really dislikes that.

My dealer is only allowed one of many special models each year. So, for example, if someone buys a jeweled Daytona from him, and it ends up on the secondary market, and Rolex traces it to him through the warranty card, there is no question he sold it, nor is there a question who he sold it to. A few sales like that could cost them the franchise.

Compare that with a giant store like Torneau, who may have sold 50 of that same watch. For the little dealer, it’s a major problem. For a giant, it’s a drop in the bucket.

That makes dealers - especially smaller ones - very careful who they deal with. That is one reason a dealer would ask for ID on a first time customer and a major purchase. As a business owner who handles high dollars sales myself (not watches) I’d ask for ID if I was the least bit uncertain whether the person handing me a credit card was the owner of the card. If the person was handing me cash, I’d get the license if the amount was close to $10k because of the risks of money laundering accusations.

With respect to the dealers not handing over the tags and stickers . . . What do you need those for, if you buy the watch to wear? My memory may be incorrect, but I think the white tag comes on the watch when it’s in the shipping coffin from Rolex, and it gets scanned and removed when the warranty card is registered. The sticker don’t serve any purpose for a wearer, and if I were a dealer, I’d regard a request for that stuff as a red flag for a possible flipper, because that’s who values such things.

If that was your experience buying your first watch, I expect you will have a different experience buying the second, if you choose to do so. The more watches you buy (and don’t flip) the more comfortable the dealer will be with you, and the more likely you are to get a desirable piece when one comes in.
You describe the remaining US small city AD’s perfectly. Rolex USA has them walking a tight rope and I don’t see a safe landing for any of them. Nervous for my own small city AD….
Old 16 June 2024, 02:38 PM   #63
Carguy87

Watch: JC 126660
Yay Steve!!! Excited for you!
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 10:36 PM   #64
mailman
TRF Moderator & SUBMARINER 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Congratulations and enjoy in good health Steve It’s a great watch that can be worn anywhere under any conditions
Old 16 June 2024, 11:33 PM   #65
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robison347 View Post
I have gotten to know the AD in my small city, where they exist in the shadow of much bigger dealers in big cities. Many Rolex dealers are in that position . . . They sell 400 watches a year in less populous areas where the big city stores sell 4,000. If Rolex decides to trim stores, who do you think is at risk?

So the smaller stores have to be very careful to stay in the good graces of the Rolex rep and the company overall. One thing that means is keeping their watches off the secondary market. Rolex really dislikes that.

My dealer is only allowed one of many special models each year. So, for example, if someone buys a jeweled Daytona from him, and it ends up on the secondary market, and Rolex traces it to him through the warranty card, there is no question he sold it, nor is there a question who he sold it to. A few sales like that could cost them the franchise.

Compare that with a giant store like Torneau, who may have sold 50 of that same watch. For the little dealer, it’s a major problem. For a giant, it’s a drop in the bucket.

That makes dealers - especially smaller ones - very careful who they deal with. That is one reason a dealer would ask for ID on a first time customer and a major purchase. As a business owner who handles high dollars sales myself (not watches) I’d ask for ID if I was the least bit uncertain whether the person handing me a credit card was the owner of the card. If the person was handing me cash, I’d get the license if the amount was close to $10k because of the risks of money laundering accusations.

With respect to the dealers not handing over the tags and stickers . . . What do you need those for, if you buy the watch to wear? My memory may be incorrect, but I think the white tag comes on the watch when it’s in the shipping coffin from Rolex, and it gets scanned and removed when the warranty card is registered. The sticker don’t serve any purpose for a wearer, and if I were a dealer, I’d regard a request for that stuff as a red flag for a possible flipper, because that’s who values such things.

If that was your experience buying your first watch, I expect you will have a different experience buying the second, if you choose to do so. The more watches you buy (and don’t flip) the more comfortable the dealer will be with you, and the more likely you are to get a desirable piece when one comes in.
lol at the “fear” flippers have put into the ADs. And the white tag does serve a purpose when it comes to models with different dials
Old 17 June 2024, 02:30 AM   #66
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Great watch! Enjoy.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 03:25 AM   #67
Rick_Nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I got my first Rolex from and AD in a decade. It was a long wait but after I changed my preference from a SS Daytona to an SS Explorer, I finally got one!
Huge congrats, Steve, fantastic pick-up. It's an absolutely awesome watch. I love the low-bling, low-profile concept of the Explorer. Maybe after some time has passed, the AD will provide the white tag. You can probably score some bezel protectors on the auction site. I hope you thoroughly enjoy your new Explorer! Kind regards, -Rick.
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 03:33 AM   #68
cajunron

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Congrats on the new piece, brother. Wear it in good health.
Old 17 June 2024, 03:46 AM   #69
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Congrats! Wear in good health

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 01:44 PM   #70
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Congrats Steve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 01:45 PM   #71
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
Your AD no good
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 02:07 PM   #72
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

Congrats, Steve enjoy you deserve that and more for all that you do for the Rolex community.

Beautiful piece.

Cheers,
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 03:02 PM   #73
Mclark202
"TRF" Member

My dealer asked if I wanted the white coffin 5e watch came in. They were awesome.

Hell, I showed up with a debit card to pay and they only took cash or check, so I had to leave to get payment. They insisted that I wear the watch to go get the check without even checking my ID. I couldn’t believe it and felt awkward walking out with the watch before paying for it.
Mclark202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 04:19 PM   #74
Scottyboy
Banned

Watch: GP Laureato
Congratulations, that's a fine watch.

I would imagine the bits and bobs you are missing, are more so at the discretion of the Sales Advisor, I would love to see the Rolex procedure that states customers are not to have the box sleeve or white hang tag which makes up the set.
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 04:43 PM   #75
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclark202 View Post
My dealer asked if I wanted the white coffin 5e watch came in. They were awesome.

Hell, I showed up with a debit card to pay and they only took cash or check, so I had to leave to get payment. They insisted that I wear the watch to go get the check without even checking my ID. I couldn’t believe it and felt awkward walking out with the watch before paying for it.
They only take cash or cheque?

Wow.

I wouldn’t have gone back.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 06:17 PM   #76
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Congrats on the watch - classic!

I had an AD check my driving licence and ask for an email from a work address just to waitlist me. Presume they were checking that I was local and did what I said I did. So hard to tell these days what is anti money laundering/ fraud and what is done on a whim because they can.
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 07:33 PM   #77
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Congratulations on a great watch! Enjoy it in good health!
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 08:07 PM   #78
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Wear it in good health Steve! Great watch.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 08:11 PM   #79
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Beauty! Congrats big guy...I bet they got wind of who you are and did all of the above...who knows....maybe they thought this was for the increase of TRF members inbox messages lol.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 08:40 PM   #80
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Steve, congratulations, 10 years is a long time between drinks!

For reference, I’m in the same town as you, I have bought Rolexes from 3 out of our 4 ADs in the past 12 months. All of them had the same policy and I encountered what you encountered.

All stickers off
No bezel protector
No outer sleeve
No white hang tag.

It was a little surprising the first time. But you have the watch. Enjoy it
Now get that Daytona!

Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 11:13 PM   #81
JSol1

Happy for you Steve. Congratulations and enjoy!
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 04:33 AM   #82
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for this great update!
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 05:15 AM   #83
Torshalla
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Love the Explorer!
Enjoy!

Torshalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 10:00 AM   #84
mrlube1151001
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41 TT sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giangos View Post
Steve, congratulations, 10 years is a long time between drinks!

For reference, I’m in the same town as you, I have bought Rolexes from 3 out of our 4 ADs in the past 12 months. All of them had the same policy and I encountered what you encountered.

All stickers off
No bezel protector
No outer sleeve
No white hang tag.

It was a little surprising the first time. But you have the watch. Enjoy it
Now get that Daytona!

Same here. Picked up a watch last week and ruptured us the same thing.
mrlube1151001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 10:06 AM   #85
aprasert
"TRF" Member

Congratulations! Hopefully more watches will become accessible to all as the speculators go away.
aprasert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 10:53 AM   #86
Rolexforthewin
"TRF" Member

Congrats, great first Rolex! Odd the AD held back on some of your requests. Picked up two Subs in the last 45 days and received the white hang tag and the outer sleeve.
Rolexforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 02:05 PM   #87
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Steve!! Huge pick up. It’s an elegant watch with style and timelessness

Wear it in the best of health.

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 04:29 PM   #88
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I was told that all factory stickers had to be removed as directed by Rolex.

I asked if I could have a bezel protector, unfortunately by direction of Rolex that is not permitted.

I asked if I could have the white hang tag, but Rolex has directed to no longer permit the customers to have the white hang tag.

I enquired as to whether I would be able to have the outer sleeve to keep the lid on the outer box secure but again Rolex has directed authorised dealers not to provide the outer sleeve to customers.

I had to produce photo identification which was photographed with the warranty card. I was concerned that this would be given to Rolex or some other third party. I was assured that the photograph would not be given to Rolex. Nevertheless, I felt that this was somewhat an invasion of privacy but I will just have to trust the AD on that one.

But on the plus side the watch is wearing great and I'm humbly grateful for being dained worthy to be a customer.

Its a little sad that Rolex seems to want to take away the little bits and bobs which were given without a second thought in days gone by, but such is the way of the world.
I don’t know about the stickers but I got the out sleeve for the box and the tag. This sounds like BS to me. I remember when the dealers wanted to hold the warranty card for 12 months. I told my dealer at the time, when I bought an explorer ii, that I wanted the warranty card, that’s the deal. He just gave it to me. We are the customers, remember
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2024, 12:57 AM   #89
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC27 View Post
No kidding, Padi didnt leave his usual comment asking if you wear the boxes, tags, or papers. As evidenced by this thread, mods are no better than new joiners who come on here asking about investment, my AD said this, or why they didn't get a full kit.
I totally get what you are are saying, but I 100% want everything that comes with my Rolex. If I spend 1000’s of dollars on something, I want the complete set. For me it is part of the collection process and nothing to do with value as I never flipped a watch for profit. I even love and keep the green Rolex bag it comes in. The reason the topic came up in this thread is because the OP mentioned it, so it is part of the discussion.

Some people care, some people don’t. It is truly that simple.
Old 19 June 2024, 01:25 AM   #90
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Congratulations! Beautiful watch. This is your AD. I got all the bits and pieces with my last two and no ID.

Enjoy the Explorer!