The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Is hype/FOMO driving your Rolex purchase decisions?
Absolutely and fully immersed. If it’s red hot on the gram, it’s on my wrist no doubt about it. 9 4.15%
I pay attention to trends and will react to some of the hype, but not fully immersed by any stretch. 84 38.71%
Couldn’t care less about hype and don’t have any measure of FOMO 124 57.14%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 November 2021, 12:41 AM   #61
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
If anything it makes me go in the opposite direction. The idea of watching grown adults fall over themselves to all try and get the same watch makes me want it even less.
Same for me. Hype and AD attitudes is a HUGE turn off for me.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 12:42 AM   #62
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
I’m actually a bit worried that a watch I bought for 8.5k is now worth 25k, and a watch a bought for 30k is now worth 50k. It makes me feel uneasy to put on my wrist and go out for a drink.

As mainstream population starts to know about these watches and their value, there’ll be more opportunists targeting people that wear these watches to make some easy money.

It worries me. I preferred the days where i wore my Milgauss or JC and not many people knew it was a Rolex or how much it cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 12:44 AM   #63
HogwldFLTR
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too many to list!
I seem to quickly become adverse to overhyped models. With the price tag accompanying most Rolex watches these days I suffer from JOMO not FOMO. Joy of missing out.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 12:51 AM   #64
DoctorsOrders
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
No you chose the Rolex GMT Master II 126710BLNR, a Batgirl is a silly nickname used by those of kindergarten age.
You're entitled to your opinion.
DoctorsOrders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 01:03 AM   #65
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

How much does hype and FOMO affect your decision to purchase a Rolex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHantz View Post
Great topic of conversation.

For me, it actually leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes me get upset at the hobby. I am tired of a lot of the hype being driven by people who just want a status symbol or something to "invest in." It makes the love of the hobby and/or brand hard because those who grew up wanting a Rolex and have an interest in them are turned away at the AD because they won't play the game. This hype is why I stepped away from the forums for a bit. I was tired of the same threads about scratches, demand, investment, etc.

Do I think the hype will go away? Sadly, no. I think that the interest and demand is here to stay for a bit. I just hope it tapers out so we can get back to the fun of collecting and wearing what we want for our own reasons - not because everyone else wants it.

Is that why you’re selling your SS Daytona on TRF?

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
Old 24 November 2021, 01:11 AM   #66
JayHantz

Watch: @Escapementt
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
Is that why you’re selling your SS Daytona on TRF?

Selling to fund a grail purchase for my upcoming wedding, if you’d like to know. Anything else I can elaborate on?
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 01:14 AM   #67
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHantz View Post
Selling to fund a grail purchase for my upcoming wedding, if you’d like to know. Anything else I can elaborate on?

Nope, except can’t wait to see what your grail watch is!

Old 24 November 2021, 01:26 AM   #68
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
There's a reason why we're all drawn to this brand. While I truly believe for the (retail) value, Rolex is the best in terms of quality and reliability. However I think it equally stems from hype and popularity.

I'm not talking about the past 3 years, I'm talking about decades of buzz and brilliant marketing from Rolex. If you think your taste in watches hasn't been contaminated by pop culture at some point you're crazy.

For me personally, I'm admittedly raveled in a mix of everything. I do follow a clear code of purchasing watches though and my number one priority on a small list is "buy what you love"! That will never change.

But a really simple example of how FOMO and hype affect me is if my AD calls me for a "hard to get" watch, I defer to my code. If I love the watch, I'm likely buying it. If I'm not sure, other factors come into play.

"Will I ever have the chance again to buy this watch?"

"Is the value increasing so rapidly, that if I ever decided down the road I want it, will I be able to afford it"?

These are questions that undoubtedly revolve around FOMO and hype, and yes they play a role in my decision making. I'm sure there are many here that back in 2016 were offered daytonas and weren't sure so passed. Possibly thinking I can always get the next one. Or even if the AD can't get it for me I can just pick one up from a grey dealer for a few grand over retail price. Those are laughable thoughts in retrospect.

That said, just cause something is popular doesn't EVER mean I automatically like it.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 01:32 AM   #69
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Zero. I bought the one Rolex I always liked when things aligned. And yea, I wish I had bought it years earlier. But now I have it and enjoy it. The end.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 01:38 AM   #70
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
How much does hype and FOMO affect your decision to purchase a Rolex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
There's a reason why we're all drawn to this brand. While I truly believe for the (retail) value, Rolex is the best in terms of quality and reliability. However I think it equally stems from hype and popularity.

I'm not talking about the past 3 years, I'm talking about decades of buzz and brilliant marketing from Rolex. If you think your taste in watches hasn't been contaminated by pop culture at some point you're crazy.

For me personally, I'm admittedly raveled in a mix of everything. I do follow a clear code of purchasing watches though and my number one priority on a small list is "buy what you love"! That will never change.

But a really simple example of how FOMO and hype affect me is if my AD calls me for a "hard to get" watch, I defer to my code. If I love the watch, I'm likely buying it. If I'm not sure, other factors come into play.

"Will I ever have the chance again to buy this watch?"

"Is the value increasing so rapidly, that if I ever decided down the road I want it, will I be able to afford it"?

These are questions that undoubtedly revolve around FOMO and hype, and yes they play a role in my decision making. I'm sure there are many here that back in 2016 were offered daytonas and weren't sure so passed. Possibly thinking I can always get the next one. Or even if the AD can't get it for me I can just pick one up from a grey dealer for a few grand over retail price. Those are laughable thoughts in retrospect.

That said, just cause something is popular doesn't EVER mean I automatically like it.

That’s an accurate description of how subtly people are influenced by hype.

It’s not clear cut or even necessarily very obvious when hype influences us which is what makes denials so easy.

Put 100,000 people who have never seen a mechanical cosmograph watch before, and present them with a selection of 10 such watches including the Daytona and have them pick a favourite.

There’s no way that the Daytona would be the overwhelming favourite the way it is today.

Yet almost nobody today who wants a Daytona would admit to even being influenced by hype, much less giving in outright to it.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 01:59 AM   #71
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
Zero . The only Rolex models I like and own are Sea Dwellers and Explorers . I like the more tool watch look . These Rolex models and Sinn and IWC Pilots watches are my preference.
Malum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 02:28 AM   #72
Flyoverguy
"TRF" Member

Did it once some years back. It was a Pavlovian experience I don't want to go through again.
Flyoverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 02:51 AM   #73
Mike I
2024 Pledge Member

I believe my taste in watches (Rolex) insulates me from the hype: SS, black bezel, black or white dial, date.
Mike I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 02:53 AM   #74
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

My FOMO is only around a watch being discontinued. I’m waiting for a black Daytona and want to make sure i get it before they make any changes. I’m never spending 35k on the grey. My want list really hasn’t changed in the last 5-7 years, and never changes due to hype.

I’m looking forward to snagging a Daytona and maybe a BLRO and moving on. My goal is to have a modern everyday watch i can beat on like my sub, a Daytona and a BLRO. Then i want to buy the nicest vintage model i can afford to pair with the sub, Daytona and the GMT. I’m looking for a 1675, a 5512/5513 and probably a zenith Daytona as i think I’m priced out of a 6263 or 6265.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 04:53 AM   #75
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
FOMO has been a marketing term for as long as I can remember, I've been professionally immersed in the space for over 20-years.

I didn’t take the poll because I think we’re missing an additional selection: FOMO can live alongside supply and demand vs. hype and social media. This poll is way too myopic. FOMO plays a greater role in supply and demand and price increases (regardless of product.)

In reality, prices are going up for every single Rolex, hyped or not. SS is no longer an outlier. FOMO is being driven mostly by the fear of parabolic price increases happening right now.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 06:05 AM   #76
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonage View Post
I don't have FOMO. Pretty opposite I think. I haven't bought a Rolex in the last 5 years. I have several watches by brands that most would scoff at. I have no "safe queen's" I use my watches and I buy watches I want to wear. Sure I've hopped on here for opinions and what models to research, but ultimately I've either passed due to research or just not wanting to play games. At current prices of some of the "hot" pieces there's action to be had elsewhere for a watch I would enjoy more.
Absolutely this! I’ve been buying/selling pieces since the mid 90’s and have moved a number of pieces through my collection. My last “FOMO” was purchasing a Tudor GMT from my AD because they’d just put it out in the case and I knew I’d never see a Rolex Pepsi anytime soon. Otherwise I have a nice “core” collection of Rolex (Deep Sea, Hulk, Explorer II, Seadweller 4000) and a five digit No Date Sub on permanent loan to my stepson, all purchased below list. My most recent piece is an IWC 40mm Portuguiser with a (to me) stunning blue dial. In fact my last four purchases over the last three years were IWC’s which I am thoroughly enjoying, thank you very much. Obviously I would buy a Pepsi from one of my two AD’s if I got “the call” but I know it isn’t happening, and I’m fine with that! Of course, I regret selling my five digit Pepsi GMT years ago, but who knew?
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 06:12 AM   #77
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

It's about what I like and what I think suits me. I tend to stick with what I like. This makes me slow to respond, or unresponsive to many trends but it's impossible to keep going (mostly) in one general direction without occasionally becoming seasonably trendy. And it's difficult to like half a dozen Rolex models without landing somewhere in trendy territory from time to time. And right now is one of those times to the power of 10. I'll still love my watches and enjoy wearing them when all the sheep think my taste is soooo last week.

At least, that's what I tell myself.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote