The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 February 2022, 09:42 AM   #61
HelloMelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Runner View Post
Reading so many good comments. Unfortunately the game is the game. Buy it. If you want other pieces, purchase history is the key. For everyone that comments and says "you are taking a watch away from somebody else blah blah", the dealer called you - not them.

If you don't lose money and it can help get you the piece you will really treasure who cares. Life isn't fair and no path is easy.

Thanks. I guess some people would rather not own the watch they want if it meant not playing AD games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HelloMelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 09:59 AM   #62
funkyjerry
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
It worked for me. As I said in another thread, I bought a lady DJ31 blue dial and a DJ41 gray dial, and was then offered a black date sub, but was told that I will need to bundle watches from other brands to be allocated a GMT.

Nevertheless, these two watches are great and I would keep it. The offers I have received from a grey for the DJ41 is also slightly higher than MRSP (and this was before the price increase in 2022). To each their own!
funkyjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 10:48 AM   #63
Oryz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I really hate this game; the fact that watches are sitting new and unworn in someone’s closet solely so they can get closer to a BLRO or Daytona just seems like such a waste.
Oryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 11:04 AM   #64
DESH
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the numbers..
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMelo View Post
I'm sure it took some purchase history to even be offered the "hot pieces". I'm in a totally different/new situation
16 years, however, I think you will garner more respect from your AD.

Just my .2cents
Old 18 February 2022, 11:10 AM   #65
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
I don't see a problem with people like Desh who've spent a lot of money at these places for long periods of time being rewarded with in demand pieces now.

I'm the first one to acknowledge at my AD that I know I'm low priority new customer and don't expect much. Doesn't matter that I'm a watch enthusiast, not a flipper, hard working lower middle class that saves for years for each watch, wears them daily etc. I'm certainly a deserving customer but I don't expect to get priority over the guy that's dropped a millio over a decade or two on jewelry. They are running a business after all.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 11:36 AM   #66
cj3209
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II-16570
I'd rather just buy from a reseller...that way, I don't have to bend over...err...I get the watch that I want.
cj3209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 11:59 AM   #67
sleepydoc
"TRF" Member

So I thought about this briefly after turning down a reference last week that I have not asked for. Basically just curious if it helped, harmed or was net neutral. Who knows? I have spent 20K on non Rolex items since November which I know is child’s play for some but they know I am not a tire kicker. I just have no interest in buying stuff I don’t like.
sleepydoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 12:11 PM   #68
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by subprimero View Post
No, the only Rolex watches I've been interested were all discontinued references.
I’m not far from here either
Old 18 February 2022, 01:19 PM   #69
HelloMelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj3209 View Post
I'd rather just buy from a reseller...that way, I don't have to bend over...err...I get the watch that I want.

I’d rather play the AD game and be patient rather than go grey

Old 18 February 2022, 01:55 PM   #70
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

I think some assumptions have been made that might be incorrect. Buying Rolex helps you get more Rolex. Dealers have said that they are limiting number of watches to individuals to basically spread the watches amongst more buyers. Some ADs have said they want to get Rolex watches into the hands of new buyers of the brand. Some dealers have made comments that flippers are not the customers they want to deal with. Will all dealers do this, who knows. Buying something you don’t want, does not make sense to me. You just spent extra money on a watch you don’t really want and have no guarantee that what you want will come your way. Dealers are trying to decrease chances of flipping watches to the secondary market. Turning down a watch that you don’t want sends a message that you are a buyer but it needs to be the right watch.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 01:57 PM   #71
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryz View Post
I really hate this game; the fact that watches are sitting new and unworn in someone’s closet solely so they can get closer to a BLRO or Daytona just seems like such a waste.
How about a great car that doesn’t get driven and just sits?
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 02:02 PM   #72
grimps
"TRF" Member

I have done it lots of times with my AD , I have a lot of the 'Hot ' models now .
I was always encouraged to buy gold models and magically my stainless sports models would arrive at the same time.
Most of the gold models I flipped I got my money back on or at least broke even over the last 3-4 years.

Recently I asked for another steel Pepsi as mine was on the jubilee bracelet and I wanted one on a Oyster, My AD said If i bought the white gold GMT that someone had failed to collect then I could have one.
If you have the funds and are prepared to play the game a little you can soon get anything you want.

These days though if you're walking into an AD wanting a Daytona it's not worth buying your wife a Datejust to try and increase your chances.
It's a game that if you play right you can get whatever you want
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex 65.jpg (40.6 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg rolex 7.jpg (143.1 KB, 125 views)
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 02:58 PM   #73
EEpro
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
No I buy other brands they carry that I want to own anyway and it counts toward my total.
Old 18 February 2022, 03:22 PM   #74
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Play stupid games and win stupid prizes.

I think you should only buy things you absolutely love, and figure out what you are able to buy that you actually like.
Old 18 February 2022, 06:14 PM   #75
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
No I buy other brands they carry that I want to own anyway and it counts toward my total.

This

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 06:23 PM   #76
just1time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post
I have done it lots of times with my AD , I have a lot of the 'Hot ' models now .
I was always encouraged to buy gold models and magically my stainless sports models would arrive at the same time.
Most of the gold models I flipped I got my money back on or at least broke even over the last 3-4 years.

Recently I asked for another steel Pepsi as mine was on the jubilee bracelet and I wanted one on a Oyster, My AD said If i bought the white gold GMT that someone had failed to collect then I could have one.
If you have the funds and are prepared to play the game a little you can soon get anything you want.

These days though if you're walking into an AD wanting a Daytona it's not worth buying your wife a Datejust to try and increase your chances.
Jesus...more watches than even the ADs...lol
just1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 06:31 PM   #77
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj3209 View Post

If you’re paying extra thousands of dollars (or in some cases multiples of MSRP) through a reseller, you’re still bending over…

bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 06:40 PM   #78
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
If you’re paying extra thousands of dollars (or in some cases multiples of MSRP) through a reseller, you’re still bending over…

Twice…..

The AD has made their money and so has the Grey.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 10:47 PM   #79
HelloMelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Exactly. Not sure why people are being so proud that they went grey instead. They’re really showing the AD by buying over inflated market prices!

Old 18 February 2022, 11:17 PM   #80
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Never have. Never will.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 11:30 PM   #81
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
Some people have, but it's stupid.

I can't believe these threads continue to exist.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 11:32 PM   #82
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post

$$$$$$ solves everything
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 11:36 PM   #83
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
No I wouldn’t
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 11:38 PM   #84
Jttran28
"TRF" Member

Watch: Multiple
I wouldn't buy something for the sake of buying it. My AD recently called me for a piece that was on my list but I've never seen in person. Once I saw it, I fell in love with it and pulled the trigger. If I didn't fall in love with it, I would have passed and I truly believe the AD would appreciate the truth.

I don't think you have to have a big purchase history to get some of the popular professional pieces, but it does help. Waiting is a game I'm willing to do because it has that much more sentimental value to me once I get it. It's really about getting to know the AD and being patient.
Jttran28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 11:59 PM   #85
Yellow5
"TRF" Member

Like so many questions, it depends.

I have no desire to spend money on things I don’t intend on using. Does that put me lower on the totem pole than someone who can spring for a solid gold piece just to maintain relationships, sure. In the end, I don’t want to ever flip, I sincerely dislike all aspects of it, and think it is one of a few reasons why we can’t get the models we want. Our models are in the hands of the grey market, sitting in their vaults, and never worn.

If you can cope with throwing away money in the hopes of getting the model you actually want, go for it. Just know there are probably 5 times as many people that don’t get the model they want to those that do, this isn’t a contract.

If you buy something that you don’t want, the transaction happened and that’s what you spent your money on. If you sell it for even money, don’t be surprised if your SA asks where the watch is they landed for you earlier. A relationship is a two way street, and if you illustrate that you are buying low tier stuff for a future score, and all you really want are the hot models, that says something to them.

Are you someone that is trying to minimize your expenditure and buy one watch to get a hot watch, or are you someone that is basically game for whatever (decent volume of PM watch sales per year, say yes to buying random things if that’s what the AD wants), with the expectation that you get dibs on new/hot products. I’m guessing you are the former, so I wouldn’t take your expectations too far. If you are the latter, I don’t think you would be asking the question, as you would have ADs lining up for your business relationship.
Yellow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 02:05 AM   #86
Sunstreaker
"TRF" Member

For better or worse I’ve done it. IWCs, Tags, Tudors, etc … all landed me Subs, Daytonas, OPs etc. I’ve never purchased PM though. And all the other brands were of pieces I genuinely liked at some point.
Sunstreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 02:14 AM   #87
cj3209
"TRF" Member

Quote:

We are ALL bending over...but certain ways feel better than others...

Old 19 February 2022, 02:21 AM   #88
cj3209
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jttran28 View Post
...It's really about getting to know the AD and being patient.
This made me laugh. I buy a watch. Not a relationship to an AD.

If I have to pay more via a reseller, so be it. But honestly, those of us who buy watches we don't want from an AD and then flip them are the same as the resellers.

Just my two cents worth.
Old 19 February 2022, 07:55 AM   #89
Wee-Willie
"TRF" Member

I would NEVER buy something I didn't want. I hate this "Arse kissing" needed at ADs.
I bought my Day Date from a respected Gray.
I will never beg for someone to take $40k for a watch....I have some dignity left in these old 67 yo bones
Wee-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 07:57 AM   #90
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMelo View Post
Has anyone ever bought a watch just to help them get further on the list for a grail watch?
No
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote