The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 June 2024, 12:36 AM   #61
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceProf View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if ALL people were simply treated with respect and dignity?

Imagine if the process were:
1. Indicate your interest and place a 10% deposit
2. Get placed on a list and be told transparently (you are number 6)
3. When you occasionally stop in, they could tell you how the list has moved (you are now number 4)
4. Suddenly everyone who hates the AD customer experience would be happy to wait, knowing the watch is coming and approximately how long it might be.....

After 2-1/2 years on the waiting list for a Bluesy....in the meantime purchased a Tissot and a Tudor....I finally gave up and bought a blue Omega 300M this week from the gray market.

For a long time, the gray market has scared me to death (because of super fakes that I can't tell from the real thing). To "dip my toe in the water" for the first time, I bought this Omega from DavidSW and the experience was very good.
ADs are at fault but look at all the threads on this same topic, it's a 2 way street. there are tons of customers that can't handle rejection or having to wait and throw fits because they have money and are not used to hearing no. we only hear one side of the story when complaint threads like this are made which is usually about how ADs treat people like crap, but for all we know these same people are coming in and asking for a pepsi or daytona and getting upset when they hear the hard truth

the #1 goal of a business is to make the most money possible so it's obvious why what you said just won't work but the bigger issue is that ADs have bad hiring standards, and the fact that it takes 0 sales skills to sell a rolex in the last 5 years means you get a lot of bad sales associates. there are ADs here in nyc where it feels like you're talking to a wall and they don't even wanna be there
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 12:38 AM   #62
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
ADs are at fault but look at all the threads on this same topic, it's a 2 way street. there are tons of customers that can't handle rejection or having to wait and throw fits because they have money and are not used to hearing no

the #1 goal of a business is to make money so it's obvious why what you said just won't work but the bigger issue is that ADs have bad hiring standards, and the fact that it takes 0 sales skills to sell a rolex in the last 5 years means you get a lot of bad sales associates. there are ADs here in nyc where it feels like you're talking to a wall and they don't even wanna be there
Fully agree.

Imagine your job as a *SALES* person where you can only sell to 1% of the customers that come through the door - the rest you essentially have to say no to and get a load of abuse back off

Fully with you on the hiring standards too - you can tell the ones who love it, they are ones who are enthusiasts themselves, and the ones who really can't be arsed...
Old 15 June 2024, 12:47 AM   #63
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
AD attitudes are called out often for being poor, I don't why we bother with the brand. ..but then I buy grey and he is a good guy, always welcoming and no purchase history required and no wait lists..
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 12:51 AM   #64
metallic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Equally, I'm certain that SAs at the AD would also say the same.

I know for a fact that they are not. In fact, they get treated quite badly by a disproportionately large number of members of the public.

I've seen it first hand on multiple occasions where SAs in a couple of ADs are treated with disrespect for "refusing" to sell someone exhibition pieces they have in the windows. Demanding and shouting, "I've got the money, mate, why can't I buy it now?!"

And before you think I'm wrong, sadly, here in the UK, we have a bit of a problem with this kind of thing. I saw a sign in my dog's veterinarians this week saying, "Do not abuse our staff!" in the waiting room - it's a sad state of affairs, but sadly, we have become an entitled society that thinks that gobbing off will get you what you want. There are many places that have this kind of sign in there now, too.

We only see what we see for the 0.1% of the time that we are in there.
Sadly this is all very true. I believe it is probably even worse in the United States.

The population has become very demanding, entitled, aggressive, and hypersensitive. It's a society of outrage. I cannot imagine working in the retail customer service world.

I do believe most people are reasonable though. 10% of people cause 90% of the problems.

Getting back to watches, these luxury items are not necessities of life. Patience pays off. Just don't buy a luxury item in an overhyped market. Given the time, markets will revert back to the mean.
metallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 01:51 AM   #65
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot View Post
I would say the UK has a severe problem with their Rolex distribution, it’s specifically a Watches Of Switzerland Group issue.

Dealt with WoS in Kent (UK), never had an issue, from the moment I walked through the door on my first visit the store and staff have been extremely helpful. They sourced my first watch by checking WoS group stock, found my watch at another store and had it bought across for me.

They have too big a stranglehold on the market. It’s stifled competition. You can only register with one outlet, so there is absolutely no competition between their own branches for business, and they have such a large footprint now they can be the only Rolex outlet for miles. I visit a lot of UK cities on business and almost everywhere I visit it’s a WOS outlet, so no point even asking. It’s almost a monopoly.

Registering at one store stops people registering at multiple outlets, getting hot watches from multiple outlets and flogging them on for a profit. WoS were criticised for allowing multiple registrations so they tightened up the procedures and we still moan.

Very, very difficult to get anything out of them, and I have mid tier spend history.

I had the new Submariner on my wrist within 3 weeks of it being launched back in 2020 - it would have been 2 weeks but I was away on holiday so they held it for me.

I don’t really understand where they channel the watches to market.

Supply certainly doesn’t appear to me to have loosened any.
On a final note I haven't been in the store for about 3 years as I have moved house, they still phone me to see if there is anything I would like. No issues with that WoS store.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 04:31 AM   #66
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ocho1~ View Post
I really don't have too much positive experiences with AD's in my area. There was a nice guy at an AD, which did offer me a Tudor that I turned down & the a DJ41, which I had already acquired. After that nothing & that AD closed.

The other one in my area is a Rolex Boutique that I swear I felt like the girls was going to ask me what kind of car I drive to see if I was worthy of getting on the list.

I've purchased my last 2 Rolex's from grey market & basically paid what I would've paid if I go tthem from AD with tax. Both of those watches are still under warranty.
Do you mind mentioning which grey dealer you purchased from? Would you recommend them?
FinanceProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 04:56 AM   #67
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

AD’s attitude has been improving in recent times. The watch market has changed drastically and the only models trading above retail are stainless steel Subs(barely), GMTs, Daytona and selected OPs. I believe prices for all models will further deteriorate. The hype is over, reality sets in. Be patient but realistic is the key
Mathematoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 07:03 AM   #68
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I have zero complaints.
They have always gotten me what I have asked for.
Old 15 June 2024, 09:41 AM   #69
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stebinners View Post
Is there anyone sick of the attitude of AD’s, trying to make you bend over backwards to buy any watches? Rolex AD’s have terrible customer experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think it’s time for Rolex to run their own retail locations. These hired guns will ultimately hurt the brand with their stupid behavior.

Yes, at the moment they sell everything they produce and watches are a fashionable thing. This can quickly change again. Those of us who are on the older side have seen enough ups and downs over the years.

Rolex needs a process where people can reasonably order something. And they need to stop selling out to non-western countries.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 09:43 AM   #70
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Weird, I’ve never encountered a rude SA at an AD.

Then again, I’m friendly and polite to people and I don’t confuse the store not having the exact watch I want with rudeness either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 10:27 AM   #71
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post

Then again, I’m friendly and polite to people and I don’t confuse the store not having the exact watch I want with rudeness either.

Exactly. Sometimes I wonder what all these people who complain of rude AD/SA behavior actually do when they walk into the store. I must have been in over 100 watch stores. I have never even once been treated rudely.
For people that claim they are *always* treated badly, It makes me wonder.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 11:59 AM   #72
Kensin
2024 Pledge Member

My SA is really nice. Treated me normal like any retail interaction. I live and work locally and I guess I stood out in the sea of million/billionaires. My first and 2nd rolex were purchased 2 months apart. And my initial wait time was 3 months. A 31mm OP tiffany and sub date
Kensin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 12:15 PM   #73
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Angus View Post
I have had very positive experiences with my AD and SA. I walked in for the first time ever and told them the DJ that I wanted.

My SA said they would call me when they could order the exact DJ I wanted. They called me about a month later and said they could place my order. I paid a 50% deposit.

Six weeks later, I got the call and picked up the exact DJ that I wanted.

Overall, a very positive experience.

BTW, Some members here were shocked I paid a deposit. I guess they have never worked in business before.

Good AD’s and SA’s are out there.

I would have paid the deposit too. As long as the rolex AD would give like a timeframe to delivery within a reasonable amount of time like within few months to six is good enough.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 12:20 PM   #74
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
Rolex needs a process where people can reasonably order something. And they need to stop selling out to non-western countries.
stop selling out to which countries, specifically?
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 01:00 PM   #75
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopi-c View Post
stop selling out to which countries, specifically?

I’m also wondering this. Why would you expect them to stop selling to half the world? That’s taking entitlement to a whole new level
Old 15 June 2024, 01:01 PM   #76
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopi-c View Post
I would have paid the deposit too. As long as the rolex AD would give like a timeframe to delivery within a reasonable amount of time like within few months to six is good enough.

It’s one thing for a datejust. For the steel sports models, waits could be upwards of five to ten years. If I was an AD, no way would I want to hold somebody’s money that long.
Old 15 June 2024, 04:19 PM   #77
chris242
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Love my AD. In fact so do quite a few here on TRF. Time for you to move to Florida. No nasty VAT, great weather year around, lovely people too.

No, don’t move to Florida, we are full!!

chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 06:16 PM   #78
Stebinners
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
None ask you to bend over backwards - it's not that - they want a greater share of wallet.

Why are you not buying all your jewelry here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I dont wear jewellery

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Stebinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 06:36 PM   #79
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think it’s time for Rolex to run their own retail locations.
I agree with this - a lot of issues would be solved, or at least be somewhere near being clearer.

Quote:
Rolex need to stop selling out to non-western countries.
I do not agree with this statement, what a load of baloney. Please, pray tell, what "non-western" countries exactly do you think are unworthy of having Rolex watches?
Old 15 June 2024, 06:46 PM   #80
Oldfellow
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post

I am in your camp too. I have a good relationship with my AD.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 06:49 PM   #81
Stupot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
On a final note I haven't been in the store for about 3 years as I have moved house, they still phone me to see if there is anything I would like. No issues with that WoS store.
Thanks for dissecting my post with a fairly creepy edit. I think you have missed the point that it was my opinion, you seem to have set out to prove I am wrong.

I appreciate your AD doesn’t go to sleep at night without thinking about you, and whether they have satisfied your watch wants, but I am not sure that’s a representative sample,

I suspect you are in a fairly unique situation, assuming it’s not slightly distorted or maybe even plain fictitious mind.

WOS are a clear problem and distorting the distribution of Rolex in the UK market.They have bad attitude as they know they have a captive audience and their giant footprint has distorted natural competition.

Not healthy, and surprised it’s been allowed to happen.
Stupot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 07:08 PM   #82
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

My experience of WoS (Birmingham UK)

Firstly, I'll preface this by saying that I consider myself a polite, reserved, and well-mannered individual.
I bought my first Rolex when I was 30 - and waited 13-15 years to be able to be in a position to get one; I've wanted one ever since I was a kid. After getting my first one via the grey market (perhaps foolishly), I caught the bug quickly and decided I wanted to get myself registered for my next piece, as I knew the situation with allocations, despite this being a good few years ago now.

So I visited WoS Birmingham, and was met by a lady who clearly seemed distressed that I had come to waste her time to look at wristwatches, despite her working in a watch store. When I finally managed to ask her in what I felt was the right way, about considering to be put on the list for a 116710BLNR (at the time) - she promptly laughed in my face and said, "No, I don't think so, sorry." Needless to say, I was pretty shocked, I laughed back at her and walked out.

I had also enquired at another independent local AD a few days later. And low and behold, after 3 weeks waiting, I received my 116710BLNR. No purchase history, nothing. They were pretty hot at the time as well.
I asked the lady in sales why they chose me, considering I expected the watch to take months, if not never arrive with me, and she just said "because you seemed really nice".

This was all a few years ago now - sadly that AD is no longer a Rolex dealer, but it's a clear indication of how there are polar opposites of AD experiences. It's a shame, but it is what it is. I think a lot of it is still on you as a consumer to go about approaching this process in the right way to get what you want.
Old 15 June 2024, 07:26 PM   #83
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot View Post
I suspect you are in a fairly unique situation
Something is either unique or it isn't. We are all in unique situations. My experiences, how I plan, how I interact with people, how I respond to people and how they respond to me don't apply to anyone else. Which is why threads like this are factually pointless but really entertaining, up to a point.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 10:44 PM   #84
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I’m more sick and tired of people whining and complaining about ADs and Rolex.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 10:56 PM   #85
Easy Rhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2-Line Sub & DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post

I'm more dismissive of the complaints. More dissatisfied reactions by some means more watches for the patient types - like myself. I do get a kick out of perusing the flaming one star on line reviews of those that are furious that the ADs and SAs don't jump for them and go hurry to get them the precise watch they demand on the spot. Yes, I've been turned down by some but have never been treated poorly. I just found a different AD that wanted my money.
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 11:10 PM   #86
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post

This thought goes through my head a lot, so much complaining here about Rolex watches, “Rolex” the monolith and Rolex ADs all ostensibly while the people typing the complaints are wearing Rolex. In reality most of the complaining here seems to be about other people while being attributed to Rolex.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 11:26 PM   #87
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rhino View Post
I'm more dismissive of the complaints. More dissatisfied reactions by some means more watches for the patient types - like myself. I do get a kick out of perusing the flaming one star on line reviews of those that are furious that the ADs and SAs don't jump for them and go hurry to get them the precise watch they demand on the spot. Yes, I've been turned down by some but have never been treated poorly. I just found a different AD that wanted my money.

If someone is able to buy a Rolex, they are probably used to being able to get whatever they want simply because they have money. If they have that level of entitlement, being told “no” seems like bad service.
Old 16 June 2024, 03:08 AM   #88
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
If someone is able to buy a Rolex, they are probably used to being able to get whatever they want simply because they have money. If they have that level of entitlement, being told “no” seems like bad service.

Being told “no” is not a big deal, even to someone with money. That’s not what this thread is about. People here are complaining about attitudes. The AD/SA can say “no” nicely, or they can be smug about it.

L_S_SHOE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 03:31 AM   #89
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
The one thing I appreciate with ADs is honestly. If you can get me the watch, great. If you tell me it will be awhile, fine. But if it isn’t really a possibility, like the SS Daytona for me, just be honest and I can mentally move on.
Old 16 June 2024, 05:36 AM   #90
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

AD’s attitudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_S_SHOE View Post
Being told “no” is not a big deal, even to someone with money. That’s not what this thread is about. People here are complaining about attitudes. The AD/SA can say “no” nicely, or they can be smug about it.

What I’m saying is there is no version of “no” that’s going to be seen as nice to many people here. How someone’s attitude is perceived is going to be wildly subjective.

I’ve never been treated rudely. Not even close. In fact in the 100+ of times I’ve been into a watch shop I’ve never been treated anything but nicely.

I’m willing to accept my experiences are not everyone’s. But for me to *never* experience rudeness and others to say they always experience it just seems weird. Especially since it’s not in the interest of the salesperson. Even if they can’t/won’t sell you a Rolex, I assume they want to sell you *something*. How does being rude accomplish that?

My guess is that some people are finding rudeness where it doesn’t exist and are getting offended because they aren’t able to get a watch.
And I imagine other people are being rude themselves and just getting it back from SAs who probably are dealing with the same thing ten times per day.

I’m am sure this isn’t everyone and some folks are getting the Pretty Woman treatment (WOS seems especially bad), but I don’t think it’s as widespread as it seems on TRF.