The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 August 2019, 12:33 AM   #61
badass09
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX 116613LBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Yep pretty much the same words I'm hearing from all the gray dealers. Market is soft now. Inventory ain't moving and pieces sitting a long long time.

Hong Kong is also down the shitter now. The biggest market for Rolex is in big trouble and turmoil. No-one there is caring about Rolex at the moment. If mainland china troops invade which will happen if the riots get worse well watch market is gone down the drain there.

I'm seeing discounts in HK quite wide spread. zero discounts before.
I just came back from HK yesterday and prices are still high and only 1 AD offered me 5% discount on a yg blue sub. But i bought from a grey dealer there and a explorer 1 from an AD.
Still no discounts and availability for ss professional models.

Saw tt ym and yg ym2 models only.. greys have a lot of inventory but pieces are not moving cos the majority of sales are from non HK buyers from them and cos of all the protests very few are flying there to buy watches.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
badass09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 01:07 AM   #62
mic6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116718 green
There is no Rolex bubble and in fact there hasn't been one since 1950. Overpricing of newly released hot models has always been the case and I guess these models will drop down slightly in the future.

However, I expect only higher prices for the rest of the sports line in the future including all subs and GMTs besides the newly released jubilee models.
Old 19 August 2019, 01:08 AM   #63
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

That Hulk is really well priced!! Hard to tell condition though.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 01:16 AM   #64
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes77 View Post
Sky Dweller blue dial will be the hardest to get and will remain for loooonnnggg time like this because af it’s complicated movement who are not so easy to produce in very big numbers like 3235....
Why just blue then if it's the movement that's the limiting factor? Unless it's also harder to produce than black and white...

As to the thread theme, all these people hoping for lower prices in order to buy just shows demand is still there. Availability not so much except for the greys. Without a broader market/economic correction it appears to be a lot of wishful thinking!
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 01:18 AM   #65
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I like that blingy one in the box but I have no ink on my face or $265k!
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 01:20 AM   #66
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneLok View Post
So many speculators cleaning out ADs and buying up every Sub, GMT, and Daytona that it was only a matter of time before the music stopped and they ended up without a chair. I just want a damn watch, so it’s rather satisfying to see the BLNRs and the rest now toiling away with multiple bumps. They are $9k watches, not $15K watches. Next bubble to burst will be the Nautilus. Will be a happy day to pay retail or try one on in an AD again.
Laughed out load when I saw a steel Nautilus chrono for 99K euro the other day.
Old 19 August 2019, 01:21 AM   #67
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
People, just don't buy over msrp. We have the power, not the greys. You don't need that new watch right away. Wait.
Old 19 August 2019, 01:40 AM   #68
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
Why just blue then if it's the movement that's the limiting factor? Unless it's also harder to produce than black and white...

As to the thread theme, all these people hoping for lower prices in order to buy just shows demand is still there. Availability not so much except for the greys. Without a broader market/economic correction it appears to be a lot of wishful thinking!
About Sky Dweller you have right. White, Black and Blue it’s produced in limited pieces. But, the Blue dial it’s the most sought after. I want the Black dial but after I see the Blue dial witch is black-blue depends on the light I know this is the one.

Regards thread theme, believe me I hope too to can buy a BLRO at retail price. In Rolex case this inflated prices it’s Rolex marketing magic not the real situation. Remember we speake about a mass produced watch manufacturer who are producing around 1000000 pieces per year. In this case it’s a AD-grey game who created an artificial phenomen to can make a huge profit from the watch lover.

In Patek case demand now exceed 10 time more manufacture capacity to produce this Nautilus and Aquanaut. In this case I think after all I read including few interviews with Mr. Stern this situation will remain like this. Stern family want to keep this high demand and don’t have interest to change this unfortunately.
I can tell you that I am agree with him and I prefer to wait for my watch then to buy a watch witch value are -30% when I live the store.
The watch is not an investment but I prefer to keep his value.))
This is my humble opinion....
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 04:54 AM   #69
FLGatorM5
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobearH View Post
I like that blingy one in the box but I have no ink on my face or $265k!

I see what you did there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FLGatorM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 06:17 AM   #70
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
People, just don't buy over msrp. We have the power, not the greys. You don't need that new watch right away. Wait.
Absolutely agree.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 06:50 AM   #71
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass09 View Post
I just came back from HK yesterday and prices are still high and only 1 AD offered me 5% discount on a yg blue sub. But i bought from a grey dealer there and a explorer 1 from an AD.
Still no discounts and availability for ss professional models.

Saw tt ym and yg ym2 models only.. greys have a lot of inventory but pieces are not moving cos the majority of sales are from non HK buyers from them and cos of all the protests very few are flying there to buy watches

All those Rolexes but not a single Pepsi
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 07:04 AM   #72
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic6 View Post
There is no Rolex bubble and in fact there hasn't been one since 1950. Overpricing of newly released hot models has always been the case
When SubCs (released in 2010) are selling for 10% over MSRP, that's a bubble.

exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 07:31 AM   #73
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
I don’t see it happening anytime soon guys. Why the enthusiasm? Last time I checked, today, AD shelves are empty and only the unlovable Rolexes are in the cases. And grays are selling watches at crazy high prices. Something I’m missing?
One day the idiots paying these silly prices will run dry. They dumb. And there are only so many dumb people out there.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 08:40 AM   #74
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
I have not noticed any decline in the gray dealer's prices on the GMT BLRO but there do seem to be more of them available.

I checked out one of the more well known gray dealer's website today. As most of us are already aware you can buy PM at a greater discount versus SS. A YG DD40 retails for $34,850 but I can buy gray for $29,675. While the SS GMT retails for $9,250 but gray price is $19,373. These are indeed crazy times.
Old 19 August 2019, 08:50 AM   #75
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Arizona View Post
agree, current pricing with the gray dealers and AD issues are somewhat comical
100%...

I stoped playing the game almost 2 years ago .
Sitting still and enjoying what I have .
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 02:42 PM   #76
bay-dweller
"TRF" Member

I think it is strange that many people are believing the Rolex grey market has to crash if it goes down.

To me, the most likely scenario is that it will have small fluctuations and trend up over the long term.

I guess it is more fun to talk about fantastic scenarios with winners, losers, suckers, and those who outsmarted everyone else.
bay-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 04:13 PM   #77
Swashplate

Clearly the market is collapsing as it always does when I plan to pull the trigger.....
Swashplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 08:27 PM   #78
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneLok View Post
So many speculators cleaning out ADs and buying up every Sub, GMT, and Daytona that it was only a matter of time before the music stopped and they ended up without a chair. I just want a damn watch, so it’s rather satisfying to see the BLNRs and the rest now toiling away with multiple bumps. They are $9k watches, not $15K watches. Next bubble to burst will be the Nautilus. Will be a happy day to pay retail or try one on in an AD again.

Agreed. If to was not for the hype about the nautilus, that would also be a very quirky piece likely selling for no more than retail and perhaps a bit less. Insta and the fact of people seeking exclusivity moved some of the Rolex fish upstream to PP so they can get their exclusivity.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 02:07 AM   #79
Roma315
"TRF" Member

Watch: The clock
Guy I met said while on vacation he went to the local Rolex AD. No new GMT's in stock, but upstairs we have all the new models used.
The story was all 4 were bought, and returned within a week because the customer didn't like it. New "used" price was 8-12k over MSRP
Old 21 August 2019, 02:07 AM   #80
klenboy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Yes! I'm proud and will continue to exercise this power! It only takes time (even if lots of it)
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 02:28 AM   #81
badass09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiretail View Post
All those Rolexes but not a single Pepsi
There is. Saw at sky watch hk.

Old 21 August 2019, 03:07 AM   #82
georgekart
"TRF" Member

I don't think we'll see BLROs and 500cs of the world sit. What I do believe is prices will be significantly lower.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:08 AM   #83
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VacherObsessive View Post
It’s August guys, between June and August all mens luxury goods like watches and high end guitars slow right down, as men are travelling away on vacation and or also taking their families on vacation and have no spare £££ or time to be buying watches and the like.

I’m not surprised to see a few teasing price drops to get some cash flow going during this slow period (same every year). Come end of September things will be back up again and towards Christmas prices will be higher than ever. Sorry to disappoint

I think you hit the nail on the head Vacher.

Unfortunately it seems there is always a big slow down in watch buying this time of year. I would be willing to bet that things pick up again by late September, and steel Rolex priced higher than ever before by November, due to the holidays, and fears of certain watches being discontinued in 2020.
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:10 AM   #84
iheartrolexx
Banned

recession is coming. look at the price of gold is skyrocketing
iheartrolexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:31 AM   #85
chad362wiley
"TRF" Member

Lol this apparently happens every summer. People are vacation, no one cares about their watches right now.

Wait till Patek and Rolex go on summer break and stop shipping watches. Right now theyre cleaning out before the shut down. the market will come back then, in my opinion
Old 21 August 2019, 03:36 AM   #86
iatacs19
"TRF" Member

It does look like watches are sitting a bit longer, even getting a little price cut after a bump or two. Wait and see, I guess...
iatacs19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 05:11 AM   #87
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass09 View Post
The gold one with blue diamond bezel is only 296k/34k euro? I thought these would be double.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 10:35 AM   #88
badass09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
The gold one with blue diamond bezel is only 296k/34k euro? I thought these would be double.
Aftermarket diamonds.

Old 21 August 2019, 10:55 AM   #89
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincy View Post
In the true luxury goods market we had an excellent data point last night. Sotheby’s auction at the Monterey Historics has been described as a “bloodbath.” They had more cars than last year but sold 30 fewer and at an avg sales price of $75,000 per car lower. Sales were down a full 25% year over year. This is one of the World’s top 4 or 5 annual collector car auctions.

So WalMart announced a great quarter this week but collector cars are off 25%?? Rolex is closer to Walmart than Sotheby’s in clientele but still I wouldn’t be paying over MSRP for a mass produced watch these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So people who are in positions to buy truly limited goods (exotic cars) are holding back... If that is the start of the events, then the market for mass produced luxury goods will start tanking soon.
Old 21 August 2019, 11:18 AM   #90
DTap
"TRF" Member

I think Walmart had a great quarter because joe six pack sees the storm coming too, he usually shops at target.
DTap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blnr 116710 batman , daytona 116520 , hulk submariner , steel 5711/1a